Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEKKEND REPORT  (Read 81235 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:THE WEKKEND REPORT
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2004, 05:57:57 PM »

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS DR DANISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2004, 05:58:43 PM »

I can't dance - don't ask me.

Danise

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2004, 06:09:36 PM »

Thank you, Dan!  

More of my four o'clocks bloomed today.  I now have pink and yellow.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2004, 06:18:28 PM »

A friend whose son attends Trinity College School asked me to be a judge at a debating tournament. The school is in Port Hope, Ontario, a town of old money and grand estates across Lake Ontario from Rochester.

The grounds of Trinity are reminscent of Brookfield, and as I headed to LeVan Hall ("through the Cloisters, Sir"), I could almost hear a chorus of "Did I Fill The World With Love My Whole Life Through."

This was an important tournament - the final round of the Fulford Cup Debate. The debaters came from about a dozen private schools in the province. The topic: "Resolved that Canada should adopt proportional representation in federal elections." I judged two rounds, each with four debaters. During our briefing we were told that our marks would likely be in the 70-90 percent range. Anything over 95 was virtually impossible - that is, unless we were prepared to hire a 16-year-old debater as a lawyer. I awarded one debater 92. Another debater scored 87, but his logic and presentation were outstanding - and if I needed a lawyer I would have signed him on on the spot.

It was a privileged group of students, to be sure. But it gave me a high to be among such bright and polite youngsters.

And between rounds, they served wine and a cheese ball.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 06:27:09 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Tomovoz

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2004, 06:19:04 PM »

Were there any more colours (colors) in honour of your birthday Danise!  I guess with the time zone difference they would be called something else here!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2004, 06:42:33 PM »

Falling For Marilyn, The Lost Niagara Collection, is a wonderful book published some years ago. It's by the late Canadian photojournalist Jock Carroll, who in 1952 photographed Marilyn Monroe on the set of Niagara. She was 26 years old, and many of the candid pictures show her playful side - no makeup; hair in curlers; laughing; standing in front of the Falls. (The book was originally published in Canada - the publisher went belly up soon afterward - but I think there's a U.S. edition.)

Some Like It Hot will always remain my favorite Marilyn movie.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 06:43:36 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Danise

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2004, 06:44:36 PM »

I keep hoping to see some of the colors I bought off of e-bay.  A real light, light, pink, white and the mixed colors.  There are plenty of four o'clocks coming up so maybe they will bloom when I come home from my trips.

I watered and fed them tonight with a "bloom booster" feed.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2004, 07:10:27 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2004, 07:26:24 PM »

I am excited about this....but strangely indifferent as well....

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000126678885&item_id=605646

Hmmmm....now that is the Lucy show of my childhood. I watched this series before I ever saw I LOVE LUCY. Of course I was a mere twig of a tad of a youth. The extras sound wonderful and I might have to get it just for those!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2004, 07:28:33 PM »

BK,

That was an excellent interview - and I hope you get to post it. I agree, the interviewer was smart and sharp. And I enjoyed hearing about the writing process.

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2004, 07:35:42 PM »

Very good news Michael S.!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2004, 07:58:33 PM »

Thanks, Dan.  I am hoping I'll get the tape soon and then can have Donald import it into our radio format.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2004, 08:10:22 PM »

Happy to read your news, DR Michael Shayne.

I can see why fans of THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY wanted a new DVD of the film. The previous release (which I just got around to watching tonight) really seesaws in quality picture-wise. Most of it is sharp enough, but the color saturation fluctuates constantly through the entire movie. I noticed a very vivid increase in saturation after the layer change but after awhile, it started paling again and then got vivid again on and off for the rest of the film.

BK, you mentioned something about the sound on the new edition at the DVD Place. I'm assuming the new DVD retooled the sound to make it surround. I found the mono soundtrack very sharp on the old disc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2004, 08:20:27 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Reading the marvelous story of 4 Girls 4 which some DR posted earlier.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2004, 08:38:37 PM »

If there's one thing I abhor, it's hypocrisy.  To wit:
Jay, I'm not going to quote your entire post here, because people can go back and look it up for themselves, but couldn't you have attributed at least one of those statements to someone specific, instead of some vague "some hypocrite said this"?  I mean, if you can point to specific people who have made both comments, then fine, but otherwise the whole post was a vague attack on some vague "those people," and not very constructive.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2004, 08:41:38 PM »

Yes, it was moi, Dear Reader td!

Interesting article, hey?!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2004, 08:46:24 PM »

I'm gonna say something HORRENDOUS! -- Yes, you can hate me for that! :P..... But I've never cared for Marilyn Monroe the actress :-[
Horrendous?  Mais non!  I've never cared for her, either, or at least never cared for how she was used.  She developed a schtick, which proved very popular, and then was never able to break away from her schtick character, even when she tried to improve her acting skills.  She sure had charisma, but what good was that when it simply became a routine?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2004, 08:48:35 PM »

Yes, it was moi, Dear Reader td!

Interesting article, hey?!
C'est formidable!
Just finished reading it.  ALL OF IT!

Mercy buckets.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2004, 08:55:28 PM »

Michael,

Thanks for sharing the excellent news. Continued good health vibes to all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2004, 08:57:50 PM »

Yes DRFRANCOIS thanks so much for the 4Girls4 link - great stuff.  I saw the show and loved it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2004, 09:15:06 PM »

Der Brucer and I attended the season opening reception at the Rehoboth Art League this evening.  They have as their home a very lovely historic residence in the richest part of town, which is very lovely indeed.

I can't say that we were impressed with much of the art.  One young woman had several rooms filled with landscapes, all of which looked blurry and bland.  You know something's wrong when the frame is more attractive than the picture it holds.  Another fellow had filled a dozen very large canvasses with portraits of women, all of whom had running mascara.  "Come back, mascara, come back!"  Nope, there it went, right out the door.  A third artist had her canvasses filled with what was supposed to be pretentious symbolism, but looked more to me like a series of lost tic-tac-toe games.

Finally, in a smaller gallery, a local sculptor had his metalworks on display.  His work was quite fun, really.  A sheet-metal cutout in the form of a woman's leg had been polished to resemble her net stocking.  A Viking helmet sat on a stand made from a large valve wheel.  A horseshoe and a crab...oh, heck, that just gave away the visual pun.  The fellow's work was clever, visually interesting...and beyond our price range.

*sigh*

Still, it made for an interesting evening.  Der Brucer got to talk with some women about the problems with the school board and education in the area in general.  Good thing, as the school board election is tomorrow.  On a Saturday?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »

Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher were just on Tavis Smiley's PBS talk show and they were GREAT!!!

West Coasters give it a look!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2004, 09:26:09 PM »

Yes, Bruce, great interview yesterday...and now we know the name and subject matter of the NEW book in more detail!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2004, 09:44:49 PM »

Yes, as I said, the only downside of the new DVD of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is that it ONLY has the new 5.1 track (no mono) and I really think they did it very strangely with really odd panning effects.

Watching Around the World.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2004, 09:52:40 PM »

Good Evening!

-Good show tonight.  Still feeling good.  But, right now, I'm very tired, and must relegate myself to the realm of the Wussburgers...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »

We get to see "Urinetown" today. Hope it is fun. Newbee Beekay sees the OZ production of "The Producers" tonight and will hopefully report back in a few days after his long journey to the outback.

Would that be the Oz production of The Producers starring Mel Gibson and Yahoo Serious???

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

quick note

Thanks to all the good wishes and vibes that I didn't think would help. Well they worked!! He miracously recovered and will be coming home on Saturday. I am so glad I went to see him. I will be back on a regular basis on Monday.

Thanks again.
PS Marilyn Monroe in How to Marry a Millionaire.

Michael Shayne -- What wonderful news!  I am so excited about your Dad.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2004, 10:01:34 PM »

Gee thanks, TCB.  I'd actually managed to purge Yahoo Serious from my memory until now!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2004, 10:06:58 PM »

DANISE,

BIRTHDAY WISHES TO YOU!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2004, 10:14:54 PM »

Gee thanks, TCB.  I'd actually managed to purge Yahoo Serious from my memory until now!

The least I could do for my favorite son.

“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up