Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEKKEND REPORT  (Read 81576 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE WEKKEND REPORT
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2004, 01:27:52 PM »

Ain't it the truth DRSTUART....Celeste's clothes in ALL ABOUT EVE are awful!  Thank God Bette had them bring in Edith Head for hers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2004, 01:30:49 PM »

Lalala.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2004, 01:35:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Not a bad afternoon.  I managed to get in a nice Pilates work out - and a good sweat in the process.  Felt so good!  And it also helped to work some more residual cobwebs and other stuff out of my system.  I was feeling pretty good when I got up this morning, and I'm feeling much better now - and that's saying something!  I also managed to make a Whole Foods run, and also treated myself to a Jamba Juice smoothie - more or less my post-workout meal.

And now...

-Oh, I even washed some dishes!  -Very exciting, huh? ;)

Now I must attend to an ever growing pile of newspapers that's been building up on my couch... and my floor... and my desk... -I keep saying I'll catch up on the news... but...  Well, time to get them bagged and down to the recycling bin.  -Oh, and it's about two and a half weeks worth of the Washington Post AND the New York Times, so...

So...

-And I REALLY want that braised lamb I had yesterday for dinner again tonight!!!  Hmm... What time is it?  Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2004, 01:37:15 PM »

OH!!  And I forgot to mention that I bought a bag of All Sorts Licorice.... YUMMY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Robin

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2004, 01:40:25 PM »

First off...HAPPY NATAL ANNIVERSARY DAY, DR Danise!  

Second off...isn't a Wekkend a Wiccan thing?

Third off...my favorite Marilyn Monroe movie is Some Like It Hot!  It also has my favorite Marilyn moment...Tony Curtis, still dressed up as Josephine, interrupts her teary-eyed torch song to give her a very passionate, romantic smoocheroo.  And she's just fine with it.  

(Of course, the "nobody's perfect" curtain line is just about the best ending a comedy ever had...!)

Fourth off...it looks like, despite the downright nasty reviews, some friends and I are probably off to Van Helsing tonight.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2004, 01:44:53 PM »

Ain't it the truth DRSTUART....Celeste's clothes in ALL ABOUT EVE are awful!  Thank God Bette had them bring in Edith Head for hers.

For goodness' sake, Miss Coonan's maid's frock in that scene is nicer than that dress Celeste is given to wear.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2004, 01:53:39 PM »

Ain't it the truth!!

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2004, 01:55:17 PM »

Dear Reader WEL,

It is my feeling that WFO was teasing you and whatever you say about that silly dance page thing, our funny Kimlets and Hainsies are going to do it just to have you react! ;)

You know, it's like with kids -- and I mean it in a nice way, oh yes (Sey oh, backwards!) -- if you keep objecting, they'll keep doing it! :-\

Dear Reader Pogue,

I'm afraid you might be right! And that's so damn sad! >:(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2004, 01:59:14 PM »

Well NOT just to make WEL react.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2004, 02:01:09 PM »

Is it Saturday yet?  Because frankly, I'm just about done with Friday, if you get my drift.  I was going to stop and get something to eat on the way home - to take with me - and every single place that looked appealing had a line out the door.  Done.  Finito.  

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2004, 02:01:27 PM »

Do any of our Survivor watching DRs have ANY IDEA what the supposed "shocking twist" is on this Sunday's finale?

I know it happens on the reunion show (and not during the actual 2 hour finale).  And I heard Probst said it didn't have to do with Rob and Amber.

Any guesses?

Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

It's oppresively hot again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2004, 02:01:42 PM »

It's hot and it's monotonous.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Mr Monotony

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2004, 02:10:16 PM »

Speaking of the election, I heard an interesting item on the news this morning.  According to our local CBS affiliate, the latest polls continue to show a drop in W’s approval rating, but strangely enough, the decrease does not seem to have resulted in an increase in Kerry’s popularity.  If anything, the increase seems to have affected Ralph Nader, who is now favored by 7% of the population.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2004, 02:12:15 PM »

Just got this request from a friend who does a (more intellectual variety) call-in radio show. This is the perfect place, I do believe, to ask his question...

The first Sunday in June, I'll be doing a show on metaphor (including similes, analogies, etc.) that explores why we use such imagery, how we feel on encountering a particularly apt metaphor, etc.  And for interludes between calls I would like to have a handful of good musical passages (from songs, presumably), that exemplify or otherwise bear upon the theme.  For example, one I already have in mind is Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."  Do you know any other good possibilities?  I would very much appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks

The British folksong, arranged by Benjamin Britten, "The Water Is Wide."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »

The British folksong, arranged by Benjamin Britten, "The Water Is Wide."

Or that other British song, The Wide Cliffs of Dover.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2004, 02:24:49 PM »

it's not hot here. :(

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2004, 02:25:41 PM »

Stormy Weather.... ain't that metaphoric?

Dear Reader Ben,

NO! I could NOT download Real Player so I was not able to listen to the BBC Concert show themed to Sondheim.... but I'm sure glad I could pass on the info here!

Life of a lover of musicals is tough here, I tell you!
Sacrebleu, as they say in US cartoons!

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2004, 02:30:05 PM »

Pictures of gorgeous looking Dame Julie!

Oh what a broad!

http://uk.fc.yahoo.com/040506/46/esvwo.html

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2004, 02:30:59 PM »

Is it Saturday yet?  Because frankly, I'm just about done with Friday, if you get my drift.  I was going to stop and get something to eat on the way home - to take with me - and every single place that looked appealing had a line out the door.  Done.  Finito.  
It's been Saturday for seven and a half hours. What's the problem?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2004, 02:32:16 PM »

More Dame Julie stuff!

For the next 10 Sundays BBC Radio7 will be re-broadcasting 10 episodes of "Educating Archie".
The first show, broadcast last Sunday, can be heard at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/sunday The show originally aired on 30th October 1950, Julie sang "The Blue Danube".

Julie was a regular guest on BBC radio with Peter Brough and his dummy, Archie Andrews, in this popular comedy program. Other regulars on the show were Max Bygraves -- Dear reader Pogue's friend! -- and Benny Hill.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Danise. Hope you get cards from Michael Ball and Michael Crawford. (We can all dream).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »

We watched "Star" last night. Yes it is long and you really don't get involved with the characters but there is so much that is good. I have not seen it since it was first released. Did I miss something? What was the point of the "Cotton Club" visit near the end - there is no image to link it ot "Jenny" as a production number. Was I supposed to pick up on a musical cue?

We get to see "Urinetown" today. Hope it is fun. Newbee Beekay sees the OZ production of "The Producers" tonight and will hopefully report back in a few days after his long journey to the outback.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2004, 02:58:51 PM »

W A R N I N G !

Long post!

Big troubles for Disney in Europe.... Borrowed from jimhillmedia.com.

Part one:

What's next for EuroDisney SCA? A final financial fix or an abrupt bankruptcy?
Guest columnist Andrea Monti is back, continuing his look at what's going on with EuroDisney. With less than four weeks 'til the waivers that DLRP's lenders just gave this troubled resort expire, will Disneyland Paris' beleaguered management team be able to pull another financial rabbit out of their hat? Or is this resort slipping irretrievably into the red?
This is NOT going to be pretty, folks

I mean, heads will roll. Egos will be crushed. Tens of millions of francs will be thrown at this problem. And -- undoubtedly -- someone's interests will be lost. Most likely DLRP's small-time investors, the ones that have the most to lose in this situation. And let's not even talk about what may happen to the resort's hourly cast members. Who will mostly likely bear the brunt of whatever cutbacks come their way.

But make no mistake, people. EuroDisney SCA (the company that actually runs the Disneyland Paris resort) is in BIG trouble right now. It's on the verge of one of those "now or never" situations. Meaning that -- if EuroDisney SCA doesn't get its financial house sorted out soon -- this resort really could close.

I know, I know. There are those of you who will undoubtedly think that I am just doing a "Chicken Little" impression. Who will say that I am just one big coming attraction for Disney Feature Animation's Summer 2005 release by walking around and saying that "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" I mean, EuroDisney SCA has obviously faced serious financial problems in the past and still managed to survive. So it just stands to reason that the Disneyland Paris Resort will be able to weather this crisis as well. And that Disney's two Parisian theme parks will remain open and continue to entertain visitors for years yet to come.

Well, don't be so sure, folks. You see, the situation that EuroDisney SCA is facing right now is very different from the ones that this corporation has faced in the past. Which is perhaps why Andre La Croix, EuroDisney SCA's CEO, has tried to put the Disneyland Paris resort's financial problems right out in the front window. So that none of the parties involved can possibly ignore the dreadful situation that the company finds itself in right now.

That (to outside observers, anyway) would seem to be the tactic that La Croix has in mind. By making sure that the media is made all too aware of EuroDisney SCA's pressing financial problems, Andre is hoping that all of DLPR's bankers, the Walt Disney Company (which still holds 39% of EuroDisney SCA) as well as Saudi Prince Al Waleed (who reportedly has a 17% stake in the resort) will finally be forced to deal with this situation, find a final solution ... or risk bankruptcy!

"So what are the possible bail-out scenarios?" you ask. Well -- with $2.5 billion in debt, a loss of $110 million during the first quarter of this year as well as a severe liquidity problem -- when the waivers granted by the resort's lenders expire on May 31st, EuroDisney SCA may have no choice but to shut its two theme parks down, close all six of its on-site hotels and send everybody home.

Which -- given that the Disneyland Paris Resort theme parks are experiencing a 6% increase in attendance levels this year, (Due to strong sales of the resort's park hopper tickets, which allow DLRP guests to move freely from one theme park to the other) and that visitor spending remains on good levels -- has got to be kind of maddening for the resort's current management team. Given that the theme parks' performance is improving just as EuroDisney SCA has begun to circle the drain.

Okay. I know. The above paragraph lays things out in rather simplistic terms. And this is obviously not a very simple situation. But -- if one were to just take a cold-blooded look at the numbers -- anybody with a minimum of business sense can see a scenario unfolding where the smartest thing to do might be to allow EuroDisney SCA just to crash and burn. And then -- like a phoenix -- a new management company could then rise up out of the ashes and effectively pick up the pieces. Take over the day-to-day running to DLRP's theme parks, its shopping village, the hotels as well as the resort's extremely lucrative Val d'Europe complex.

For most of the parties involved here, this would be the ideal solution: Giving the Disneyland Paris resort a brand new start. Wipe the slate clean by removing the resort's enormous debt load. Which would then allow the theme parks to start making money almost from Day 1. Not to mention creating a more simple and friendly management structure for the resort than EuroDisney SCA has right now.

What? You haven't heard about EuroDisney SCA's almost Byzantine financial and management structure? Sometime try to get ahold of one of the corporation's annual reports (or -- better yet -- download the pdf version from the eurodisney.com website). Then take a look at that diagram which shows the incredibly intricate financial and management structure that Gary Wilson (who was CFO -- Chief Financial Officer -- of the Walt Disney company -- when the deal to build and fund EuroDisney was originally put together) set up. Wilson deliberately structured this deal so that -- even though the Mouse had a minority stake in this European project -- it still had a major say in how things were run at the resort. (I swear -- if you stare long enough at this financial diagram -- eventually you'll find Waldo. Anyway ...)

And let's not forget about all those royalty payments that EuroDisney SCA was supposed to be sending back to its mother company for licensing fees. Not to mention the enormous amounts that the Imagineers charged EuroDisney SCA during the project's pre-opening design and construction phase.

Now Wilson conceived EuroDisney's finacial plan in a way that was quite common for American corporations in the mid and late 80's. Which might have proved to be very lucrative for the Walt Disney Company and the project's investors if the world hadn't suddenly been plunged into that enormous recession in the early 1990s. Which resulted in DLRP guests not following the spending patterns that Disney had initially hoped for (which was to have visitors come spend several days at EuroDisney and stay in one of the resort's six hotels), but -- rather -- to have people take the train out to EuroDisneyland in the morning, tour the park, then head back to their lower-priced hotel room in Paris that night.

Given that most JHM readers are no doubt aware of how rough the EuroDisney resort had it during the project's first year of operation, I won't rehash that story here ... Other than to say that once the "French regime" (I.E. Philippe Bourguignon, the second president of the company as well as his successor, Gilles Pellisson) took over the day-to-day running of the resort, the theme park seemed to stabilize and slowly come out of its death spiral.

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »

Part Two:

The only problem was ... These fixes that were put into place (EX: delaying royalty payments) were just temporary. And that -- due to the resort's crushing debt load -- EuroDisney SCA was never really able to turn a profit. Just keep DLRP's losses to the minimum.

Of course, hopes were high that -- once the Walt Disney Studios (the movie-themed theme park that was originally supposed to have opened right next door to Disneyland Paris in the mid-1990s, but kept getting pushed back and scaled down to make the project more affordable) was open -- that the resort's awful financial situation would finally turn around.

But -- instead of finally creating a reason for DLRP visitors to stay overnight in one of the resort's six hotels -- what the Walt Disney Studios did (And let's be honest here, folks. This small movie-themed theme park is arguably is the least attractive as well as the worst received park in Disney history. And -- yes -- I'm taking DCA into consideration when I make that statement) was cannibalize attendance from the Disneyland Paris park next door.

Don't believe me? Then let's look at the combined attendance for both of these theme parks for 2003, which was 12.5 million guests. Which seems sort of snazzy, until you realize that the Disneyland Paris resort had 12.7 million visitors back in 2001. And that was back when DLRP only had one theme park!

So -- as you can see -- the situation that La Croix and Co. are now facing is an extremely complicated one. One where it would seem that there are no simple solutions. So -- taking all that into consideration -- can you now understand why the idea of just wiping the slate clean (I.E. having EuroDisney SCA admit defeat and declare bankruptcy) has such strong appeal?

So what's stopping EuroDisney SCA from putting a reorganization plan like this into play? Obviously the fact that most of the company's investors would -- under a plan like this -- lose most, if not all, of their investment. Not to mention all of the negative publicity that the Disneyland Paris resort would receive as a result of even attempting a maneuver like this ... Well, that's got to be giving Andre some pause. Making him think twice before hitting that "reset" button.

Of course, there's the remote possibility that Michael Eisner that -- rather than having the Walt Disney Company associated with what could be a record-breaking bankruptcy -- might finally open the Mouse's purse strings and pour the hundreds of millions of francs necessary into a revival project for this resort. Of course, given that Roy Disney and Stanley Gold are still out there circling, determined to make the most of Michael's every mis-step ... It's not too hard to believe that the "Save Disney" people would try to spin any DLRP rescue efforts as throwing good money after bad.

And let's not forget about EuroDisney SCA's bankers. Who really find themselves torn in this situation. Because (obviously) of the huge debt that they're owed (money that few of these financial institutions now believe that they ever have a hope of recovering) as well as all the money that Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios still generate every day.

And then you have the two wild cards in the bunch. The two gentlemen who -- to date -- have had the least to say publicly but privately must be forming their own resort rescue plans: Jay Rasulo -- EuroDisney SCA's former head honcho, now president of the entire Disney theme park empire -- and Andre La Croix -- the new president of EuroDisney SCA, a guy who's got a real gift when it comes to marketing DLRP as well as reaching out to the media. Obviously these two guys have a real interest in pulling this troubled resort back from the brink.

Of course, following in the great Disney tradition, maybe someday soon Disneyland Paris' prince will come. Prince Al Waleed, to be exact. Perhaps Rasulo and La Croix can persuade the Saudi billionaire to make yet another investment in DLRP. This time around, though, Jay and Andre may find that Al may not be such an easy sell. Given that the Prince has been quoted in the press as saying that "... this time, we need to fix this problem once and for all."

Okay. I know. This is already a very convoluted story. (And I haven't even mentioned all of the rumours that have been flying around about what French President Jacque Chirac might be willing to do for his good, close, personal friend, Michael Eisner.)

But this is -- you have to admit -- a distinctly Disney story. I mean, think about it, folks. You've got a prince, a magic kingdom in serious peril, a situation that only a major miracle will be able to resolve. It's going to be really interesting to see if EuroDisney SCA is actually able to pull off its very own happy ending.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping a close eye on this whole situation for JimHillMedia.com as this story continues to develop.

That's it for now, folks. TTFN!

Discuss Articl
   by Andrea Monti
May 4, 2004

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2004, 03:07:07 PM »

"Oooh.  Sable.  Now that's something a girl could make sacrifices for."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »

"Did she say 'Gable' or 'sable?'"

« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:08:15 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2004, 03:09:09 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Mankiewicz.  Thank you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2004, 03:10:17 PM »

"And probably has."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up