Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: UNWINDING FROM THE WINDING  (Read 9258 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: UNWINDING FROM THE WINDING
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

With that, I'll leave the rest to the critics, who love this emo-rock (their term) score.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »

And that took us to Page 4.

Page 4 Bloody Bloody Dance. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »

DR Jane, re: the GOOD WIFE, I figured that it would be Keith who liked Mr. Big (Chris Noth). Btw, I'm guessing that you did not watch SEX & THE CITY.  Cause most people who watched that show love him.

We watched a few minutes of it once. ;D  I find it interesting Chris Noth continues to be listed as a guest on Good Wife. 

I wonder if your hubby liked/watched him on Law & Order.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »

I have some shows to catch up on. And a lot of reading to do.

I just came back from a bike ride. It was very brisk out (maybe 50 probably less). I had a long sleeve thick t-shirt, a sweat shirt and my gloves and ear muffs. So i was good.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »

DR Jane, re: the GOOD WIFE, I figured that it would be Keith who liked Mr. Big (Chris Noth). Btw, I'm guessing that you did not watch SEX & THE CITY.  Cause most people who watched that show love him.

We watched a few minutes of it once. ;D  I find it interesting Chris Noth continues to be listed as a guest on Good Wife. 

I wonder if your hubby liked/watched him on Law & Order.

We didn't watch that either.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »

Keith had a surprise for Sherlock & me this morning.  He joined us on our outing to Mt. Ashland.  We had a nice hike and then went into town for lunch. :)

Jane

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »

Bruce, or anyone familiar with L.A, what old & well known restaurant used to have the best Monte Cristo sandwiches?  Keith says we used to eat lunch there with my father, which means it was after the Kiru closed.  What year was that again?

Jane

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »

For those DR's who don't know, or don't remember, my father's office was one block away from Bruce's father's restaurant. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

I think the Kiru stayed open for a couple of years after my father was gone - but around 1967, I think.

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »

We are back from Middfest, which I think has "jumped the shark."  In its glory days, I used to declare our kitchen CLOSED for the weekend because there were so many wonderful choices available from all the food vendors.  This year there were only about 3 or 4 booths selling actual food, most of which I could not eat.  Many of the artifacts from Botswana intended for the various displays did not arrive on time and the University of Chicago sent multiple copies of a book about medieval women writers instead of Dr. Parson's book about how Botswana achieved independence.  And, after a summer of drought, it rained all day today, forcing the dance and music performances inside to a small space in the city building lobby.

What did go right was the history project which brought in several informative and engaging speakers and the basket weaver who conversed with the audience, through an interpreter, and demonstrated her craft.  The literature project also did a nice job building a replica of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency/Speedy Motors building and populating it with very good actors who interacted with visitors as the 4 main characters.

We stopped and picked up Chinese carry-out on the way home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »

Waiting for me when I got home:  a fun surprise package from dear DR Elmore containing a double CD of Joan Morris/William Bolcom recordings and Advance to the Rear on DVD.  Thank you, o friend of friends  :-* !
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »

Hiya, kidz!!!

Well, Jane sent me the link to Bruce's interview - yowza!!! So thrilled!!!

They announced the Jan 24 inductees into the Theater Hall of Fame - I wonder, do you need tickets to that??? I think I'd like to go...
PennyO

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »

Hello, everyone.

TOD:
I wasn't much of a fish eater until I had an office near a wonderful little restaurant called Catch of the Day. What a joy that place was! Wonderful soups, good salads, and very fresh fish. I stayed at that job much longer than I would have otherwise in order to "sup" at COTD each week.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »

Fish dishes... my mom used to make a swell bouilliabaisse - how the hell do you spell that?? It's a French fish/shellfish stew. Yummm...

These daze, I love the slab o' salmon you can get at Costco, grilled on the barbecue up at the cabin. Every summer I look forward to that.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »

Seriously, though - if any of yiz knows how ya get tickets to the Gershwin for Monday Jan 24, 2011, please email me. I'd really really really like to be there.
PennyO

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »

Very best fish may have the salmon at Villa D'Este in Alexandria, VA. They used to serve wild salmon pomodoro that was out of this world. Unfortunately, the restaurant has fallen on hard times and the last time I ate there the chef had been replaced and the food really wasn't as good. Same concept, inferior (to my taste) execution. 

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »

I'm here at my sister Rikki's place - tonight is a birthday party her kids are giving for her 60th b'day next week - I'm her designated driver. We're about to head over the hill to Playa Vista. I'm cracking my 1996 Chateau Margaux for the festivities!!! Can't wait to taste it - I've had it since 1998, just waiting for it to ripen, waiting for a special occasion... can't wait forever, as tomorrow is promised to no one...
PennyO

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »

Old Town Alexandria has a Dublin-style "chipper", ie, fish and chips place, that I used to frequent. Once I was diagnosed with mercury toxicity, presumably from eating fish, my appetite for it waned.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »

and off I go...
PennyO

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »

Hi, Penny.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2010, 05:32:13 PM »

I believe it was DR JMK who asked recently about vitamin D. Several years ago, some new research was published, which indicated that (1) vitamin D is needed for the prevention of far more ailments than previously thought, and (2) the daily requirement is also far greater. The recommended amount rose from 400 IU/day to 4000. The study was widely publicized and now many practitioners test for vitamin D. Every person I know of who has been tested and been found to be too low. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:40:06 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »

Although the majority of practitioners advocate taking a supplement, there are a few who refer their patients to either spend  20-40 minutes/day in the sun or use a light box. Most who advocate sun also say that your skin must be exposed. The angle of the sun's rays also play a role and in some climates one simply is unable to expose enough skin.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

If you use a supplement it takes quite a while to improve your numbers; mine have been increasing about ten points each year and I take 4000-5000 IU/day.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »

Hi  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »

Happy weekend  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »

I discovered Friday night Jazz at LACMA last night.   What a treat, outdoor beautiful courtyard, live music, and art. 

Will try to make this my Friday night stop between work and going home, till the last show at the end of November.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:50:08 PM by Sam »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »

If someone wishes to have their blood tested for vitamin D I'd recommend directlabs.net or lef.org, as you can order directly (ie, you don't need a physician's approval). Both have discounted prices and Direct Labs is having a sale on that test this month. It's the 25 Hydroxy test.

Colin Campbell's book, THE CHINA STUDY, has a rather extensive explanation of vitamin D in Appendix C. You can read it online at Amazon.

Now, surely that is more than any DR ever wanted to know about vitamin D!

Sam

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »

Just listened to The Unforgiven/The Way West.   8) 8)

Laura

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »

That pie looked heavenly, John G.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »

We just got home from seeing "Young Frankenstein."
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up