Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL OF A SUDDEN  (Read 15804 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALL OF A SUDDEN
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were all of a sudden, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently singing the score to Annie all of a sudden.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ALL OF A SUDDEN
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:40:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: HOBGOBLIN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:07 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland release - a little chiller just in time for Halloween.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

“THERE IS NO 311 AREA CODE”

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

Dead Of Winter
Music Composed by Richard Einhorn

Just before the thriller genre made a huge comeback in September of 1987 with the release of Fatal Attraction, earlier that year Orion released a nifty, old-fashioned thriller called Dead Of Winter, directed by Arthur Penn (Bonnie and Clyde, Mickey One, Night Moves, Little Big Man), starring Mary Steenburgen, Roddy McDowell, and Jan Rubes.  The film was actually an unofficial remake of Joseph Lewis’ 1945 film, My Name Is Julia Ross.  Here, in homage, one of the characters is named Julie Rose, and another is called Joseph Lewis.   

Penn had a good deal of fun with the thriller conventions, with Hitchcockian touches, a big, foreboding house, a severed finger, evil machinations under the guise of something innocent, blackmail, deceit, and an innocent heroine thrust into those evil doings.

The reviews were mixed, but respectful – the New York Times’ critic Janet Maslin wrote, "When a director approaches Gothic horror with this much enthusiasm, the results are bound to be as merry as they are frightening. So audiences for Arthur Penn's Dead of Winter are in for a hair-raising treat."  And Roger Ebert wrote, “The movie itself is finally just an exercise in silliness – great effort to little avail – but the actors have fun with it, the sets work and there are one or two moments with perfect surprises."

For the film’s score, Penn hired Richard Einhorn, a composer who straddled the worlds of classical and film music.  His “opera with silent film,” Voices of Light, was hailed as “a great masterpiece of contemporary music” and has had over 150 performances.  Its CD (on Sony) was a Billboard classical bestseller.   Prior to Dead Of Winter, he scored several films, including Don’t Go In The House, Eyes Of A Stranger, and The Prowler, among others, and subsequent to Dead Of Winter he scored Bill Condon’s cult film, Sister, Sister.

As it turned out, Einhorn was the ideal choice for Penn’s film – the then-current vogue for thrillers, chillers, and horror back in the 1980s was an emphasis synthesizers.  Einhorn took the opposite approach, with wonderful, atmospheric scoring for a real orchestra consisting of piano, harp, reeds, strings, and percussion.   His score is eerie, beautiful, suspenseful, and perfectly evokes the snowy New England setting.

Dead of Winter is mastered from Richard Einhorn’s personal digital tapes, which were in perfect condition.  We present the entire score in film order, followed by a short suite of alternate cues.

With Dead Of Winter, Richard Einhorn wrote one of the best thriller scores of the 1980s, and it’s a pleasure to finally bring it to CD. 
This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping. 

CD will ship the first week of December – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:52:40 AM »

CD has been ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:08 AM »

Today, the family is all gathering at my sister's house to do the candy thing.  I don't think that I've actually stayed home on a Halloween, so I don't know how many people come through my condo complex.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »

;D

Ben

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:54 AM »

Good YouTube stuff Fred!

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:41:04 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:42:51 AM »

The Parade (Halloween that is) has been shortened this year due to budget cutbacks so it ends a 15th Street instead of 23rd Street. There are traffic diversions all over the neighborhood with no parking on our block (16th Street) and I assume some of the floats and revelers will be exiting the parade down across 16th Street.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »

Coffee

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:55 AM »

It's fall in New York

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »

Good morning, all! Yesterday in all the apartment activity I sprained or strained my right knee. I can barely stand on my right leg and I am in a great deal of discomfort. I see my doctor on Tuesday and, if it's not showing signs of improvement, I will ask her to check it out. I think it will heal on its own accord, but since I feel the sooner the better, I could use soem vibes.

As a result, I slept poorly, but the added discomfort was the loud squeaky activity of the Oaf Above Me and his lady friend around 2:15am. I also had a series of bizarre dreams, one involving a recording session in a series of rooms that seems to be the floorplan of the house where I grew up, a backup lesbian singer putting moves our our recording producer, and a debate on how one singer left without recording all of his material.

I did watch all of THE WOMAN IN BLACK, one spooky and creepy ghost story, courtesy of BBC television and Susan Hill (original author). I have a bootleg DVD, since it's out of print, and a commercial one would be nice to own. The movie reminds me a lot of THE HAUNTING, in which not much is seen but much is implied, and it builds to a terrifying sequence involving the voice of a dead child and a toy soldier, that is quite a shock, The cast is great.

Today, I plan to spend most of the day lying down and watching movies on DVD. I've also got a book to read, and I need to ponder what to do about the computer, now that I've moved everything around, and the consequences of  moving a floor lamp.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 05:56:28 AM »

Thanks, Ben!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:03:25 AM »

Happy Halloween, everybody!
You can dream…or you can do.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:48 AM »

Question Of The Day

Did you "celebrate" Halloween last night or are you going to do it tonight? Or both
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »

My wife bought 3 bags of the Hershey min-candy bars to give out to the kiddies tonight.

Frankly, I could care less if the little ones knock on our door or not.

I love those things.

::)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 06:07:33 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland release - a little chiller just in time for Halloween.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

“THERE IS NO 311 AREA CODE”

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

Dead Of Winter
Music Composed by Richard Einhorn

Just before the thriller genre made a huge comeback in September of 1987 with the release of Fatal Attraction, earlier that year Orion released a nifty, old-fashioned thriller called Dead Of Winter, directed by Arthur Penn (Bonnie and Clyde, Mickey One, Night Moves, Little Big Man), starring Mary Steenburgen, Roddy McDowell, and Jan Rubes.  The film was actually an unofficial remake of Joseph Lewis’ 1945 film, My Name Is Julia Ross.  Here, in homage, one of the characters is named Julie Rose, and another is called Joseph Lewis.  

Penn had a good deal of fun with the thriller conventions, with Hitchcockian touches, a big, foreboding house, a severed finger, evil machinations under the guise of something innocent, blackmail, deceit, and an innocent heroine thrust into those evil doings.

The reviews were mixed, but respectful – the New York Times’ critic Janet Maslin wrote, "When a director approaches Gothic horror with this much enthusiasm, the results are bound to be as merry as they are frightening. So audiences for Arthur Penn's Dead of Winter are in for a hair-raising treat."  And Roger Ebert wrote, “The movie itself is finally just an exercise in silliness – great effort to little avail – but the actors have fun with it, the sets work and there are one or two moments with perfect surprises."

For the film’s score, Penn hired Richard Einhorn, a composer who straddled the worlds of classical and film music.  His “opera with silent film,” Voices of Light, was hailed as “a great masterpiece of contemporary music” and has had over 150 performances.  Its CD (on Sony) was a Billboard classical bestseller.   Prior to Dead Of Winter, he scored several films, including Don’t Go In The House, Eyes Of A Stranger, and The Prowler, among others, and subsequent to Dead Of Winter he scored Bill Condon’s cult film, Sister, Sister.

As it turned out, Einhorn was the ideal choice for Penn’s film – the then-current vogue for thrillers, chillers, and horror back in the 1980s was an emphasis synthesizers.  Einhorn took the opposite approach, with wonderful, atmospheric scoring for a real orchestra consisting of piano, harp, reeds, strings, and percussion.   His score is eerie, beautiful, suspenseful, and perfectly evokes the snowy New England setting.

Dead of Winter is mastered from Richard Einhorn’s personal digital tapes, which were in perfect condition.  We present the entire score in film order, followed by a short suite of alternate cues.

With Dead Of Winter, Richard Einhorn wrote one of the best thriller scores of the 1980s, and it’s a pleasure to finally bring it to CD. 
This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping. 

CD will ship the first week of December – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Hmmmm...

:-X

KevinH

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »

Happy Halloween from chilly (it's about time) Northern Virginia!   Actually it's supposed to reach 62 today.

KevinH

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »

I enjoyed your review, Ben! 

KevinH

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »

Healing vibes to elmore!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »

Thanks Kevin.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »

Yes, hugs of good health to our dear Larry.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 06:39:20 AM »

I just did a re-scan of our digital stations and we now have Channel 50 which is a NJ PBS Station. If only Channel 21 had a stronger signal.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 06:39:31 AM »

Anthony is still asleep.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »

It's 9:30. I'm never asleep at 9:30am

9:30 pm sometimes but not 9:30am

Ben

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 06:40:36 AM »

My stomach is rumbling. I must find some food.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 06:40:45 AM »

And some coffee

Ben

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 06:41:11 AM »

Although it's chilly outside the sun is shining and it looks beautiful.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »

We don't get Trick or Treaters since we live on the 4th floor of a locked building. There are no children in this building. The Child Catcher found them and took them away (mwahhahhaahhaaa)

Bye for now.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »

Vibes for pain to go away to Larry
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up