Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MICHELLE NICASTRO  (Read 11359 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: MICHELLE NICASTRO
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »

bk - I'm not sure you were looking for them, but there are also some wonderful mentions of Michelle coming up on various Barry Manilow fan sites and Twitter due to her involvement with the "Swan Princess" movies.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »

I saw Jill Clayburgh at my very first Broadway show "on Broadway," PIPPIN.  Hard to believe she's gone.

I really liked her work. 

Sad.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »

Oh, and, yes...

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Saturday morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:44 AM »

and I discovered last night that Anthony has another talent of whic I was unaware creating minature houses - Ido hope Ben will share some photos with us

Last night he brought them out just as Elmore and I were leaving and I only had an opprtunity for a quick glance

I love minature houses and always wanted to make one of my own but time money and space have always been a problem - I was very impressed  by what I did see and am axious to see more!

I've seen the wonderful photos up close, you however are close enough you might one day have the privilege to see them in person.  It has been awhile and I would be happy if DR Ben posted a few, or all, of the photos.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »

And it truly is very sad to read about the passing of Jill Clayburgh and Shirley Verrett too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

I'm glad I got to stop by The Quad last night to meet up with DRs edisaurus, vixmom, Julie, Ben and his ever-lovin' Ant, as well as Mamasaurus and Naz.  Alas, since "Intermezzo" did not get out until 11:00pm - almost on the dot too! - I was not able to make it back down to the Good Stuff Diner for Round One or Two of the post-"J&B" get-together. But at least there's Facebook. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Looks like another summer day outside. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

OH!!!

Well... I thought I smelled vomit... And... Well... I guess someone upstairs didn't make it to the bathroom last night "in time"... Ugh... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:35 AM »

She of the Evil Eye is here so I'll vamoose shortly.  Forgot to mention turning the clocks back.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »

bk - If there's any way that She of the Evil Eye could make it over to my apartment too, that would be most appreciated. I need a clean-up in Bedroom 3.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »

In any case...

The final dress rehearsal for Cosě fan tutte at The Met yesterday was fun. They had replaced the previously announced "Don Alfonso" at the last second, and so the final dress was his first time on stage.  -And, frankly, you would not have know it. He did a very good job.  It's a great cast - both aurally and visually ;) pleasing - and once the conductor - who is making his house debut - gets more used to just how the house "works" in regards to sound and coordination, it really should be a quite wonderful production.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:24 AM »

I am very sorry to hear about Michelle, and I am especially sad for her family.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »

Intermezzo at City Opera last night was fun too.  Boy is there a lot of "chatter" in that opera!  And most of it done by the lead character, "Christine"!  Mary Dunleavy was quite good, and she showed no sign of vocal fatigue or tiring over the course of the three hours.  -And, as many of the reviews mentioned, her English diction was truly impeccable - no surtitles needed!  -Alas, the strings and brass sections in the orchestra did end up sounding a bit "fatigued" by the middle of the second act.

*And, yes, DR elmore - What a very strange, almost "high school" looking set. Lots of white walls and flats. However, maybe that was on purpose in order to show all the money they spent on the period furniture and costumes - and the toboggan run(!).  Or not. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »

Laundry is in the dryer and I will return to the facility in a while to fold the hot items.

Deb, Anthony said he will send the miniature pictures to you via e-mail. There are so many that it would flood the server here

YAY@!!!  I will golook for them!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »

And now a couple of words from the First Lady-Elect of New York State, Sandra "Semi-Homemade" Lee.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »

So sad to hear about the loss of Michelle Nicastro  bk, your notes today brought tears to my eyes. 

TOD - I really love her arrangement of "Belle" from "Beauty and the Beast", but also "Disneyland" and probably everything else.

Sunset Blvd opens tonight, and I'm really excited.  The show has come together and looks great.  I'm very proud.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

~~~~~BROKEN LEGS AND XYLOPHONIC VIBES TO DR MATTHEW AND HIS SUNSET BLVD COMPANY~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »

Break a leg Vibes to DR Matthew and the Sunset Blvd cast and crew~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »

~~~~~BROKEN LEGS AND XYLOPHONIC VIBES TO DR MATTHEW AND HIS SUNSET BLVD COMPANY~~~~~

Ditto!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:15 AM »

Very sad news about Jill Clayburgh. I was trying to think of what I had seen her in recently. I looked it up. It was Dirty Sexy Money. She was so good in it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »

I'm almost positive the entire OBC of PIPPIN was still there when I saw it in 1973.  It might have been after Irene Ryan's death, but I don't think so.  I know for sure everyone else was the original.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

In my recent review of the Time-Life Rock Hall of Fame Concerts (it's amazing, get it), I talk about subscribing to various Time-Life series through the years and anticipating all those volumes coming every 4-6 weeks.  I closed my review by asking if I could expect another volume in 4-6 weeks.  Some idiot (technical term) on the reader thread about the review is confused as to why another volume would be coming in 4-6 weeks, wondering if there are still unreleased performances.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »

Ditto!

~~~DITTO TWO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »

Today, I'm going to work for a couple of hours to start to clean and organize some things.  Later this evening, I'm ushering for an old west interpretation of The Taming of the Shrew.  I've been hearing great things about it and wanted to see any production of the show, since I was in it three and a half years ago.

During that production, my friends Tim and Ingrid met (and that's when I met them, too), and they just got married last week. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »

Jose - Do i have the correct email address for you?  (When i try to get the information about the email, it says something like not available.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »

Back from storage and getting all the Christmas charts for December's show - had them all, so that's great.  Whilst there, I found this photograph of Michelle and I from 1997.

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »

When I opened up Bruce’s notes just after midnight and saw the title, my heart sank. “Dear, sweet Michelle” — as her friends called her on Facebook — was gone. Bruce’s tribute was beautiful, and by the time I reached the end of the first page I was crying. Crying for someone I had never met, never talked to. Crying because a priceless voice had been silenced in such a cruel, painful fashion. 

I first heard Michelle sing Feb. 10, 1995, at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills. It was the 11th annual Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event (S.T.A.G.E.) and Michelle was  part of a star-studded lineup paying tribute to the music of Harold Arlen. Dressed in a shimmering sequined gown, she sang an incandescent “Get Happy” that radiated life-affirming joy. It was the second song of the first act, and it was a showstopper. The applause was thunderous and, in just under four minutes, she had made me a fan for life.

“Reel Imagination” was the first Michelle album I bought and, I believe, the first Bruce-produced CD I bought. Picked it up at an indie stored called Zia Records in Tucson, Ariz. If memory serves, it sat on my CD case for a long time before I was in the mood to play it. When I did, I was blown away ... just as I had been that first night at the Wilshire. What a voice. Pure, positive, powerful. And so evocative. Her brassy vocals conveyed a wide-eyed joy that’s impossible to resist. She could, quite simply, sing a smile.

Favorites? How do you choose? “Reel Imagination,” and the two “Toonful” CDs, are brimming with wonderful performances, peerless production and delicious arrangements. “In My Own Little Corner/Impossible” and “The Dressing Song” are standouts on “Reel Imagination”; “The Second Star to the Right” on “Toonful” is a lush gem; and “Zippity Boppity Boo,” “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat” and “Under the Sea” on “Toonful, Too” are impossible to resist.

When Bruce, announced the Kritzerland at the Gardenia series, I had so hoped that Michelle could make an appearance. Or, even better, have performed an entire evening herself. It wasn’t to be. How glad I am that I got to see and hear her one final time at Bruce’s “Two’s Company” benefit at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, Calif., on Nov. 5, 2007. She sang “Part of Your World” from “The Little Mermaid” and was as radiant as ever.

How richer we are that she was a part of this world.

To view Michelle’s “Part of Your World” performance, use this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJhPrsGMiM

To marvel at her performance of “Disneyland” from “Smile,” go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n_F1QMYJyI

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »

Jose - Do i have the correct email address for you?  (When i try to get the information about the email, it says something like not available.)

Fred - Hmmm.. That's weird. In any case... It's still "josespiano at aol dot com".  I will say that AOL's spam filter has been working overtime lately, and even though I try to check my Spam Folder regularly, sometimes I don't get to any non-spam before AOL automatically deletes them. Strangely enough, it seems to "spam" emails coming from other AOL accounts even when they're already in my Address Book.  -I guess AOL is the new Hotmail? ???  You can also try sending to "josespiano at gmail dot com" just to be safe.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »

And now, 'tis time for me to get ready to head out to run a few errands, and then I'm heading back to the StateDavid H. Koch Theater tonight at Lincoln Center for City Opera's Lucky To Be Me: The Music Of Leonard Bernstein.  It should be a great concert.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up