Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK PAN  (Read 69075 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BK PAN
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:01:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you won't grow up, you won't go to school, so you may as well just hunker down and post until the cows come home.  So, if BK stays in bed today does that make him a bed Pan?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:59:51 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:BK PAN
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:16:25 AM »

Guess you need to be non-north American to be annoyed by the fact that the only child in the movie with an American accent is Peter Pan. It jars. I can not cope with the Mary Martin production of Peter Pan at all. Love the only bit (Tony Awards) I have seen of the Duncan version and like the Rigby version. The Spielberg take is just too too much! Maybe it's all because I grew up with the Disney version. I know Peter (Bobby) had an American accent in that but so did the other children. To me it is like giving Christopher Robin an American accent or Tom Sawyer a British one.
As mentioned a few times over the past years, my favourite PP performance was by Maggie Smith.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:35:33 AM »

Up at 3:30 AM. Creatures romping around outside the windows. It would be sooooo lovely to get a night's sleep once in a while. Oh well.
The upside is that now I've caught up with the posts, read the notes. I'd do some writing or book reading -- but my eyes still think I'm asleep. Perhaps I'll give sleeping another shot. Or invite the creatures in for tea and crumptets. Darn - all out of crumpets! Scrub that plan.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 04:49:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  Where were all the usual suspects at Chat last night?  DRs Noel, Robin, Laura and Emily, with the late addition of our host BK, seemed to be it.  ROBIN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I vaguely recall A WRINKLE IN TIME, but since I have no memory of anything about it, it clearly left no impression, so I didn't care about the broadcast last night.  I remember reading THE WIZARD OF OZ long before seeing the film, and being so enchanted with it that I reread it several times.  I also never liked the Narnia series; it's dubious charms escaped me.

TOD:  my first fairy tale/fantasy memories are the Disney films, SNOW WHITE, (shwing around 1950-51?), ALICE IN WONDERLAND, CINDERELLA, and PETER PAN, and my first books were Little Golden Books of the films.  I recall a short chunky book of CINDERELLA that I loved, with text on one side and a black & white drawing on the other.  1954 was the PETER PAN broadcast with Mary Martin, and I've always preferred that to Duncan's and Rigby's versions, not that the ladies didn't have good moments, but that Jerome Robbins' concept was very special (the Indian dances based on children's games for example) and no later director has come up to Robbins' level.  I'd like to see the play performed, once, with a few songs, the mermaids, and more James M. Barrie.

I was also fond of the 1954 animated HANSEL AND GRETEL, the soundtrack of which drove my mother to major despair; I remember it played a double bill with a Ma & Pa Kettle movie, which will attract the attention here of DR MBarnum, but I've no memory of the Kettles now, except for THE EGG AND I, both book and film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 05:08:03 AM »

H A P P I E S T   O F   B I R T H D A Y S   D R   R O B I N ! ! ! ! ! !

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 05:45:37 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Robin. (His friends were more than fond of..)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 05:58:42 AM »

Happy Birthday to Robin!!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 06:37:09 AM »

I remember a television version of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK with Gene Kelly and a very young Joel Grey; also THE PIED PIPER with Van Johnson and Kay Starr.  These were for the whole family.  Today anything like this is aimed strictly for children and not as entertaining or memorable.

The Charles Strouse concert last night was a delight.  Much of the cast was the usual people you find at this type of  concert (Jerry Dixon, Norah Mae Ling, Rachel York, Eddie Kobich, etc.) but there were also original cast performances by Penny Fuller from APPLAUSE and Anita Gillette from ALL AMERICAN, and Mr. Strouse did a couple of numbers including what is probably his most famous song: "Those Were The Days" from the television series "All In the Family".

What impressed me most about this program, however, was the fact that it was not a "greatest hits" selection.  Although there were some of his better known songs, there were also 5 songs from DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER, 3 songs each from ANNIE WARBUCKS and RAGS and 2 songs from NICK AND NORA that showed off his versitility. Whatever problems these shows hade it certainly was not Strouce's music.

All in all an entertaining evening, though I wish these various concert series were spread out through the year instead of all in April and May.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 06:42:46 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ROBIN!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 07:12:34 AM »

Am I here?  Can I post?  Oh boy, this is very exciting!  My home computer is still infested with naked Russian children (it looks like we'll be getting a new one soon, though), but all is well for I have found a way to access HHW from school!

But they're throwing me out of the computer lab.

Happy birthday, Robin!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 07:16:34 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, my own "(not so) evil eye" knocked on my door about 30 minutes ago... and she said she'd come back... so...  It is nice to be up before 11:00, however.  I may go for a walk before it gets too hot and too humid outside.

As for fairy tales... Most of mine were through the eyes of Disney, so... Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Peter Pan, etc.  Books-wise, I, too, had a bunch of those chunky Golden Books, however, the one book I remember - and one that I tried to save from the garbage heap for the longest time - was a collection of Mother Goose ryhmes.  Loved the pictures.

Oh, and the Winnie the Pooh movies were also a favorite... and became even closer to my heart when I was old enough to read and appreciate the original A.A. Milne books.  -I even "invested" in a nice set of hardcovers of the whole series a few years ago.  -And, of course, I also like those "Tao of Pooh" and "Te of Piglet" books.

-And my roommate has a collection of Winnie the Pooh books (the Disney versions) in various languages.  Lots of fun.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 07:17:53 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Robin!!

We want a full cake report later on!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 07:18:57 AM »

OK - Now I have to ask...

Is everyone at the Preview Day Sale for the big One Day Sale in Tarnation?
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 07:21:40 AM »

You know I just can't think of my favorite fairy tales. I recall one book I had that had many stories in it and one story was about 5 Chinese brothers. I loved the story, but remember little about it.

The story of Bambi was always a favorite also...movie and book.

Does THE COLOR KITTENS count? LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 07:23:32 AM »

And a gigantic happy birthday to DR Robin!! Pop in some good DVDs and enjoy!!

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 07:23:56 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Robin!

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 07:26:05 AM »

Hi DR Jenny!

Glad to see you found a way to log on!

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 07:28:41 AM »

Regarding last nights discussion of a NW HHW get together, September would be great with me too! Let us consult with DR Jane upon her return to Oregon!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2004, 07:31:37 AM »

DR Jennifer, did you watch the Survivor reunion show after the regular show? My there are some rather poor sports! Some mighty hurt feelers! And some big ole cry-babies! LOL!

I think that Lex and Tom and Jerri just need to lighten up!

I am glad that Amber and Rob are still together and also Jenna and Ethan..they make a cute couple.

I think Richard Hatch has the right attitude...it is just a game, for crying out loud! Have fun and play!

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 07:41:33 AM »

Yes of course I watched the live reunion show. :)

I am so not impressed with Lex.  During the show he masterminded voting out his close friends, Colby, Ethan and Jerri.  Yet he still holds a huge grudge against Boston Rob for voting him out.

He seems like such a hypocrite to me.

I do get that you might expect your close friends to work with you (apparently Lex and Rob WERE very good friends before All Stars).  

I guess I just don't get why it was okay for Lex to turn on his good friend (especially Ethan).  But it was scandalous for Rob to vote Lex out.

Btw, I REALLY think Rob Mariano deserved to win the $$.  And I voted for him to win the million on Thursday night at http://www.cbs.com.  Vote Rob! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 07:45:59 AM »

And DR MBarnum: I do think Rob and Amber make a really cute couple.  And I like Ethan (Survivor Africa winner) very much.  I am not crazy about Jenna M.  I thought she was one of the worst winners EVER.  But I did feel very sad when she left All Stars.

Btw, I wonder if Rupert will win the million on Thursday (viewers get to decide the most deserving winner of Survivor All Stars).  I still think Rob M deserved to win the game.  But I think Rupert is probably the fan favorite (and I suppose since he placed 4th, one could say he did deserve to win).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »

RE: Survivor--did Sue Hawk show up on the reunion show sporting her new look?  I'm not one for big make-overs that include drastic plastic surgery, but whoever got their hands on Sue are miracle workers--she is now one hot chick!  When I saw her on Access Hollywood I couldn't believe it was her until she opened her mouth.  She had this huge smile on her face that wouldn't quit.  Good for her, I say.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

HollyLynn

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 07:49:39 AM »

Happy Birthday Robin!

I don't know if The Wizzard of OZ qualifies as a fairy tale, but my friend has a complete set of the orignal OZ books (from 1900 on up).  I read the entire series a couple of years ago.  The artwork is incredible and stories are wonderful.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 07:49:45 AM »

You know I just can't think of my favorite fairy tales. I recall one book I had that had many stories in it and one story was about 5 Chinese brothers. I loved the story, but remember little about it.

The story of Bambi was always a favorite also...movie and book.

Does THE COLOR KITTENS count? LOL!

Oooh.... I remember "The Five Chinese Brothers"!  Great story!  -Each of the boys has a special power... One gets in trouble, then one by one each brother takes the place of the previous one in a series of test... if I remember correctly... And since they're all "twins" - well, "quints"...  -It was also "updated" a couple of years ago by another writer as "The Seven Chinese Brothers".

Oh, and then there was also "Tikki Tikki Tembo" (No Sarembo Charri Barri Ruchi Pip Perri Pembo)... Or something like that - that's always stuck with me.   -All about the pitfalls of giving your childs too many names.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 07:49:49 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Robin!

PETER PAN was always my favorite growing up, and I loved the Disney version and the Mary Martin version equally. Just magical, both of them.

I was firmly convinced as a child that one day, some scientist would invent a pill that would allow people to fly like Peter Pan and Superman. I spent many, many hours during my youth dreaming of the day I would be able to fly, and I spent lots of time imagining what kind of outfit I'd wear while flying. Oh, yes, I was gay, even as a wee youth.

I'm still waiting for that flying pill, you guys!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004, 07:53:17 AM »

After I saw Spielberg's HOOK, I was determined I would never, ever watch another live action movie version of Peter Pan. That soured me on the mythology forever. (Rigby's version of PAN was an exception; I'll still watch the stage versions based on the play or musical.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2004, 08:09:54 AM »

Happy, Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Robin!! I hope you have fun all day long and eat mucho cake!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2004, 08:11:13 AM »

I mostly saw Disney fairy tales.  I never saw Peter Pan until I had kids.

The scariest movie I've seen is "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." All those children disappearing. Frightening!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2004, 08:13:49 AM »

DR Jennifer, I voted for Rupert to win the 2nd million. I honestly feel Rupert played the best game, but I do think Rob should have won over Amber.

DR Dan-The-Man, yes Sue H. sported her new look, and she did look nice! Now if she could just take some etiquette lessons! LOL!

I must say that Shii-Ann cleans up very well. She really is a beautiful lady, and the other Jenna looked amazing too!

I must remember to watch on Thursday to see who wins the second million!!! Don't let me forget Jennifer!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2004, 08:22:12 AM »

DR Panni,

Hope you managed a good night's sleep.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail (not important) yesterday - and it just bounced back to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up