Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK PAN  (Read 69108 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:BK PAN
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2004, 06:34:05 PM »

I suggest that you rename the planet Davanna - and I am available as choreographer of the planet.

How too, too davann!

DR WEL, I just came from dinner with my Tams-Witmark friends, and now I know the BYE BYE BIRDIE story.  For years Tams rented out a set of orchestrations by Tom Brown, who was the copyist for CANDIDE in 1956, I believe, and other shows.
The restoration in which I was peripherally involved about 6 years ago, went back to the Ginzler orchestra scores for reference, but simplified the string writing and the reed doubles.  I hope I'm reporting this accurately.  It sopunds similar to what used to be done with a show when it went out on a national tour.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2004, 06:35:51 PM »

Oh, God!  Page 5!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move] :) ; :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D ::) :o :-* :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2004, 06:36:25 PM »

I still stink at this!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2004, 06:37:43 PM »

So, I handed a recorder (simple wood flute) to the cast member who can do anything, and she said she'd need a fingering chart or some such thing.  Any of the orchestra-savvy DRs know what she's talking about and where such a thing can be found?

DRNoel, didn't a fingering chart come with the recorder?  Call Patelsons tomorrow.  They should have one.

Jennifer

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2004, 06:46:42 PM »

So nothing for me to watch on TV now but old Perry Mason re-runs...that is until THE AMAZING RACE and BIG BROTHER begin this summer!

I think The Amazing Race starts the beginning of July.  Yeah!

Btw, MBarnum, I totally forgot you liked reality tv - you have not talked about them for a while.

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2004, 06:51:09 PM »

Jennifer, have you tried going into Edit Settings in your Spam/Bulk folder in your Yahoo Mail? If you haven't, there is a choice you can make that might help. I think you have three different questions, how long to keep bulk/spam messages in the folder (1 month, 2 weeks or 1 week). The second question is the one you want. It's what to do if you click a piece of mail as Not Spam. Click "move to my inbox" and perhaps that will train the mail program to put it in your mailbox and not the spam folder. Hope this helps.

Thanks I will try this tomorrow.  But for some reason it is not as easy as it should be.  Marking an address as not spam, or making all addresses in your address book not be spam should be a simple thing to do.

I have tried to edit before and it never worked.

And when I click on specific spam messages and mark (put them in my inbox) it has never helped.

I would like to email the yahoo people and ask.  But whenever I've tried to find a place to email, I have been unsuccessful.

It's not such a big deal.  It's just a pain.

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2004, 06:52:37 PM »

We used to play the recorder in elementary school.

Should be very easy to find charts (i'm sure one of DR Danise's links did it).

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2004, 06:55:10 PM »

Hmmm, American Idol tonight.  I must say that the person who has improved the most and who is impressing me the most is DIANA.

Could she win?

I always assumed it would be Fantasia or LaToya.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2004, 07:21:09 PM »

We didn't have recorders when I was in elementary school.  We had a plastic version called a "Tonette."  They sounded OK, but were this gunky blue color and tasted like...well, like plastic that had been soaking in disinfectant, so we wouldn't pass germs to each other.  (Yeah, like that could stop us.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2004, 07:24:31 PM »

Dang, if I post anything about the Dick Van Dyke Revisited special, I'm going to post spoilers.

Dang and phooey.  Or as Rob Petrie says at one point...no, that's another spoiler.

All right, one spoiler.  There is no real reason for Ray Romano to be on the show.  Trust me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2004, 08:25:44 PM »

A couple of weeks ago the TOD was what old TV series did we wish would be released on DVD.  One of mine was Jonny Quest.  I stop at Target on the way home tonight and, behold and lo, there was the newly released Jonny Quest--The Complete First (and Only, as far as I'm concerned) Season.  I had no idea that this set was being released, so this was an outstanding surprise for me.  26 animated, action packed, pulse-pounding episodes (with the occasional vague homoerotic undertones)!  I normally watch these compilations in the listed order, but I might have to jump to two of my favorite episodes:  the one with the invisible blob thing and the one with the spider robot.  Very Cool!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2004, 08:34:20 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Noel - As other readers have already stated, fingering charts for recorders - or other instruments - are readily available at any reputable music store - or on the web.  Depending how many notes - and how in tune - she will have to play, it may pay to invest - only $4.00-5.00 - in an elementary instruction book.  This way she'll not only get the fingering charts but also info on embouchure, technique and breathing.  Yamaha has a few books they normally bundle with their standard plastic recorders.  Do you know if she's playing an alto, soprano or sopranino recorder?

*Of course, if it's just a few notes that she'll need, trial and error could be the way to go.  -Just beware of overblowing - those recorder squeaks and squawks can be most unpleasant.  -However, not as unpleasant as listening to 500 violins being tuned at Suzuki convention... UGH!  -One of the few things I don't miss from my days as a print music buyer.

Will she be playing for "All Good Gifts"? ;)

DR SWW - I remember the Tonette!  And the Flut-O-Phone!  And those horrible plastic ocarinas!  Of course, nothings beats a slide whistle!!

Oh, the local NBC news affiliate had a great story on the difference in prices between the "brick and mortar" and internet "locations" of the same store.  It was amazing just how much the price differences were in some cases.  However, the one thing that jumped out at me was that Barnes & Noble, and barnesandnoble.com are not the same company.  In fact, they are run by different people, and the are actually competitors!  -Even though they will take returns from/for either "store".  -And some of the price differences on books amounted to $10 or more!?!?!  Who knew?!?!

DR Danise - Safe travels!  Happy Travels!

Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2004, 08:39:27 PM »

In third grade, I was the best Tonette player in my class.  In my Elementary Music Methods class in college, I was the worst. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

So I'm not watching AI but I did pass through the room where The Lovely Wife was watching to catch Diana do yet again something she has done consistently through the competition.  Exhorting the audience:  "All right, everybody up on your feet."  No, darling, if you can't bring 'em to their feet with your performance, don't go begging them to stand up before you ever start singing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2004, 09:08:11 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL: The only singer whose voice was well suited for the disco songs chosen was Diana Degarmo who was simply wonderful on both of her songs, the latter one a Donna Summer song sung in the presence of the diva herself. My gosh, young people have NO fear. I was SO impressed with her courage on such a rangy, difficult song that Ms. Summer got to share with Streisand. Diana had to go it alone.

LaToya and Fantasia made lousy song choices, I thought, and didn't blow me away with either song.

And poor Jasmine is just out of her league now. You have to feel for someone who's on a different level from the others and has to endure the arrows from the judges. Even Paula couldn't be kind.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:13:07 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

I don't remember the color of the Tonette I played at the All American Day Camp in 1949, but the one I bought recently (to recapture my youth?) is black.

Elmore - Thanks for the clarification.  The BIRDIE Playbill® and talkback gave the credit to Rob who allegedly found it in a box in a backroom at Tams.  I figured yours was the more correct version.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2004, 09:15:55 PM »

Instead of watching any of the things I planned, I pulled off the shelf something that had been gathering dust for months - DR. JECKYL AND MR. HYDE, the Fredric March version, of course. Nice to see it as restored as it's gonna get, and I listened to some commentary, too. The speaker (can't remember his name at the moment) LOVES Miriam Hopkins, calling her a great actress. I've never thought so. Competent, occasionally better than that, but never brilliant that I can remember.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2004, 09:23:20 PM »

In third grade, I was the best Tonette player in my class.  In my Elementary Music Methods class in college, I was the worst. :D

Jed, considering the size of Ellensburg, you were probably the only Tonette player in your third grade class.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2004, 09:32:54 PM »

"American Idol":  Diana DeGarmo rules.

I felt so bad for Jasmine.  I honestly loved her "It's Raining Men."  At least, I didn't think it merited such harsh commentary from the vile one.  "Not good enough" is all that was required.  Simon is a bitch with a terrible body.  Someone ought to flash "that" sign during the show.

Both LaToya and Fantasia had good presentations, but I have to question their choices of songs just as the judges did.

And what?  Nobody had the nerve to do "Last Dance"?

Or "On the Radio"?

I guess it's folly for a solo singer to attempt a Bee Gees song?

A half hour after the show, the West Coast voting lines were open and easy to get through on each singer.  I have a bad feeling about this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:33:53 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2004, 09:36:47 PM »

I watched "Gosford Park" this afternoon and revelled in its attention to detail and quite a few of its performances.

I wish I outright "loved" this film, but I don't.

DR MattH:  Unbeknownst to me, my VCR stopped recording after Fantasia's second song and I missed recording Diana's last song and judge's comments.  It ruins my whole recording project!!!!  Did you by chance record it?????????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2004, 09:40:19 PM »

Jed, considering the size of Ellensburg, you were probably the only Tonette player in your third grade class.

It could have been worse...he could also have been the only boy in Ellensburg with a Tonette perm!!!

Who remembers those?  And the ads?

"I was a plain Jane.  A failure.  I needed a Tonette!" (which was a perm kit for little girls from the company that manufactured "Toni" for ladies).

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2004, 09:46:33 PM »

No, DR RLP, I didn't record IDOL tonight. I watched live. So sorry.

In two hours, I got one vote in for Diana. That's how busy they were on this coast. Fantasia's line was also busy. I didn't call LaToya's even to check because I was the most disappointed with her tonight. I didn't expect any better from Jasmine, but LaToya's voice could have done wonders with some of Summer's old hits, and she didn't even try. Jasmine's line has never been busy on this coast throughout the competition.

Jed

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2004, 10:03:58 PM »

No no no, the entire class learned to play the things for some school event or another.

I don't remember the color of the Tonette I played at the All American Day Camp in 1949, but the one I bought recently (to recapture my youth?) is black.
We had both black ones and red ones.

Jed

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2004, 10:27:43 PM »

User browsing this board: Jed, Ann, George, TCB
All we're missing is PennyO from a full-fledged Washingtonian HHW party!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »

If I apply the liberal definition being used here to faery tale, then my fav is definitely THE PRINCESS BRIDE, S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure, the 'good parts' version, Abridged by William Goldman.

Was there ever an unabridged version??  (I love the movie!)

Also (and just under the wire):
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, D.R. ROBIN!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

Back from the screening about which more in tomorrow's notes which I must now write.  It occurs to me why some days have been light around these here parts - no PennyO, no Jane, no Jenny, etc.

George

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2004, 11:00:41 PM »

So I'm not watching AI but I did pass through the room where The Lovely Wife was watching to catch Diana do yet again something she has done consistently through the competition.  Exhorting the audience:  "All right, everybody up on your feet."  No, darling, if you can't bring 'em to their feet with your performance, don't go begging them to stand up before you ever start singing.

My niece saw Shania Twain in concert (several times, actually), but at one particular performance, fairly early into the concert, Shania said that the audience had to stand up.  If she had to stand for the whole concert, then the audience had to stand for the whole concert.  And they did...but it wasn't a good thing!  Whenever a bunch of people sat down, or started to sit down, she would make them stand up again!  How rude! (a Scrambled Feet reference)  I would never let a performer MAKE ME stand for a whole darned concert.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2004, 11:15:32 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day:  the only real fairy (or faery) stories that I remember, other than the real old ones, were from a book that I loved as a kid...and not too long ago, I found my old copy!  It's "Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Children's Stories."  I'm house-sitting at a friend's house, so I don't have access to it, but it has stories such as "The Friendly Giant," "Heidi"(an excerpt) and "Fairyfoot."  It also has some very beautitful illustrations by the Hilda Boswell of the title.

There is a "Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Fairy Tales" as well as a "My First Fairy Tales," both illustrated by HB, but the one that I had was different.  But I think that it still counts for today's TotD. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:17:26 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

Good Morning!

Sheesh, so much for getting to bed early.. well, at least earlier.  Of course, the past couple of nights, I've gotten into bed around 12:30, but didn't end up going to sleep until 3:00AM-ish, so...  Why fight it? ;)

Well, I have nothing new to add to any topic right now.... although I would have loved to see tonight's "American Idol" - I love/d disco!

So...

Goodnight
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2004, 11:30:16 PM »

I won't dance, don't ask me.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up