Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK PAN  (Read 69118 times)

Jennifer

Re:BK PAN
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »

Page Four Dance!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2004, 01:04:37 PM »

Yes, AOL arbitrarily "blocks" certain senders.  The most frequent cause is if your e-mail address has been "used" by spammers.  AOL is being sued by two very large hosting companies for the "blocking" - they need to find a way to ONLY block real spammers, not people or institutions whose e-mail address has been "gathered" by these evil cretins.  It happened here, even though bruce@haineshisway.com isn't even a real e-mail address.  Our host had to call them to get it unblocked and it still isn't completely forwarding mail correctly.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2004, 01:15:01 PM »

Elmore wrote: "DR MBarnum, I believe you're thinking of the PETER PAN with Danny Kaye and Mia Farrow(?).  The CINDERELLA is most likely the Leslie Ann Warren-Ginger Rogers production, which I always felt lacked the charm of the Julie Andrews version."

He could have seen the Mary Martin version. It was off the air for a good number of years, but NBC aired it a couple of times in the late 60s, early 70s before losing the rights to it. And once the rights were regained and they aired it one final time before the videotape was released (and later a laserdisc and DVD), I had a VCR then and recorded it myself. The Mia Farrow/Danny Kaye version did not use the Broadway score.

I agree that the Julie Andrews version of CINDERELLA is probably more charming overall than the Lesley Ann Warren version, but I find it hard to make a choice. I like Stuart Damon much more than Jon Cypher (Stuart gets the wonderful "Loneliness of Evening" as a solo), and I like Celeste Holm more than Edie Adams as the fairy godmother. Because it wasn't done live and they had more room to spread out the production, the 1965 version does have its own charms and appeal, for me at any rate.

Both sets of singers do right by the fantastic score, one of the best ever composed for a television production.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2004, 01:15:36 PM »

I finally got Dan-in-TO's email. World domination is but days away.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2004, 01:21:38 PM »

I probably shouldn't comment since I didn't watch a minute of SURVIVOR: ALL STARS, but since the contestants who hadn't won before made a pact to eliminate the previous winners as soon as possible, I felt the deck was stacked against certain excellent players from the get-go. In fact, as appealing as the idea of an all-star edition sounded when I first heard it, I think Mark Burnett erred horribly by having past winners back on the show. Of course, they were all stars, too, but NO ONE on the jury would have voted them ANOTHER million dollars when they had won before if they had managed to get to the end. He should have realized that. For me, that made the victory of Amber tainted and made the show less compelling than it might have been.

Perhaps if he had waited to do this edition when he had sixteen winners to play against each other, it might have leveled the playing field, but CBS needed a big gimmick to throw against NBC's final season of FRIENDS, and it certainly seemed to work. Ratings for the all star edition were better than for the past three or four editions of the show.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2004, 01:40:32 PM »

It's been mentioned on this here site before, but in case anyone missed it --- and considering it is one of the topics du jour --- PBS will be showing the original Julie Andrews/Rodgers & Hammerstein "Cinderella" sometime in the fall and then releasing it on DVD.  Last I heard they were trying to find a color print, but it will probbly be in b&w.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2004, 01:58:47 PM »

Excuse me, but might I ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Sad to be all alone in the world.  SHAME.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2004, 02:16:41 PM »

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing CINDERELLA again. I've seen it several times at the Museum of TV & Radio, but to finally have a pristine copy will be nirvana. Color would be nice, but black and white will do just fine.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2004, 02:18:48 PM »

My Marx Bros. boxed set FINALLY came today, and now my problem is trying to decide which one I want to watch first. I'm leaning toward GO WEST but it may be A DAY AT THE RACES. I do love "All God's Chil'in Got Rhythm" in RACES.

I got THE JETSONS today, too. That's going to bring back MANY childhood memories.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2004, 02:29:38 PM »

He could have seen the Mary Martin version. It was off the air for a good number of years, but NBC aired it a couple of times in the late 60s, early 70s before losing the rights to it. And once the rights were regained and they aired it one final time before the videotape was released (and later a laserdisc and DVD), I had a VCR then and recorded it myself. The Mia Farrow/Danny Kaye version did not use the Broadway score.

Yes, it's true; I saw the Mary Martin remake from 1960 around 1965, when I was in college.  The last broadcast made one major cut and removed the Neverland Waltz for Liza and the animals.  I was happy to see it restored on the video/DVD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2004, 02:39:01 PM »

Dan - did you get my response to your email?

Panni

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2004, 02:41:29 PM »

Dan-in-To - Have you seen THE DRAWER BOY? Wonderful Canadian play. Saw it here on the weekend. Was surprised to learn that this very Canadian play is the most performed play in regional US theaters.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2004, 02:46:34 PM »

Panni,

Yes (e-mail received - thanks for the info); no (didn't see The Drawer Boy - I had a ticket, but something came up); maybe (just to complete the set).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2004, 02:50:25 PM »

I suggest that you rename the planet Davanna - and I am available as choreographer of the planet.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2004, 02:57:06 PM »

Dan-in-To - Have you seen THE DRAWER BOY? Wonderful Canadian play. Saw it here on the weekend. Was surprised to learn that this very Canadian play is the most performed play in regional US theaters.

And THE DRAWER BOY snagged a few Helen Hayes Awards last night for it's local production here in DC.

Well, time to head into the show...  Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2004, 03:18:54 PM »

I am thinking it was likely the Mary Martin Peter Pan that I saw way back then.

MattH, I do agree with you on your Survivor All-Stars take, and I am not sure this season turned out to be all that exciting for me. It was nice to see some of the players again, but I think maybe I prefer it when there is a whole new unknown group of people playing.

So nothing for me to watch on TV now but old Perry Mason re-runs...that is until THE AMAZING RACE and BIG BROTHER begin this summer!

Panni

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2004, 03:34:45 PM »

Thanks for THE DRAWER BOY info, Jose.

For other DRs - if it's playing in a theater your area - I recommend it.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2004, 03:35:42 PM »

I suggest that you rename the planet Davanna - and I am available as choreographer of the planet.

Sounds deeevine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2004, 04:06:42 PM »

Well, it must be siesta time around these here parts.  We haz slowed to a standstill.

Ben

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2004, 04:06:53 PM »

Jennifer, have you tried going into Edit Settings in your Spam/Bulk folder in your Yahoo Mail? If you haven't, there is a choice you can make that might help. I think you have three different questions, how long to keep bulk/spam messages in the folder (1 month, 2 weeks or 1 week). The second question is the one you want. It's what to do if you click a piece of mail as Not Spam. Click "move to my inbox" and perhaps that will train the mail program to put it in your mailbox and not the spam folder. Hope this helps.

Danise

« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2004, 04:17:20 PM »

Hello all!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]   :)  HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROBIN!!!!!!   :)[/move]

I downloaded the Search and Destory program and the Adbuster last night.  Both scanned my computer and I think I am finely rid of the last of all those nasty little bugs/ads/unwanted programs.  I noticed I don't have the pop ups I had before.  YAY!  I guess Norton isn't as good as they say it is.  It didn't do half the job those two free programs did.

Sorry I missed chat last night.  I didn't see it mention that it was coming up or I would have been there.

I checked Weatherbug and saw they are expect rain/snow showers tomorrow!  Good thing I packed some sweaters and my thermals as a "just in case".

I take my leave of you all tonight.  I don't want to be E&T but I will have lots to do tomorrow night.  I want to take the dogs for a walk and spend time with Mom among other last minute details that will need to be attended to.  I don't know if I will have time to sign on.

Ya'll take care.  Be safe and happy and happy and safe.  I'll talk with you when I get back home.  Have lots of lovely posts, both for Bruce and for me to read when I get home.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2004, 04:18:59 PM »

Have tons of fun on your trip Danise!!!!

Danise

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2004, 04:24:35 PM »

Thank you, I'm going to try!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2004, 05:02:09 PM »

Well, this is just one of those days, I guess.  Off to a screening - I'd say keep the home fries burning but the home fries are as cold as yesterday's mashed potatoes.  Of course, it would be ever so swellegant to arrive home and find loads of lovely postings for my mental delectation.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2004, 05:03:09 PM »

So, I handed a recorder (simple wood flute) to the cast member who can do anything, and she said she'd need a fingering chart or some such thing.  Any of the orchestra-savvy DRs know what she's talking about and where such a thing can be found?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2004, 05:09:56 PM »

Tonight's American Yodel is another theme night: The contestants have to sing music by Puccini.  Simon is going to complain that everyone sounds like they're singing Andrew Lloyd Webber songs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2004, 05:12:18 PM »

Next year, all the participants on Survivor All Stars will have to perform a song in front of Simon.

No one will survive.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2004, 05:17:32 PM »

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2004, 05:24:18 PM »

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2004, 05:54:24 PM »

I just read that 85-year-old Celeste Holm has married a 41-year-old opera singer!  I hope she doesn't stick him in all of her appearances like she did with the late Wes Addy, her previous (and talentless) husband.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up