News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TEN  (Read 21748 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TEN
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were celebratory, and now it is time for you to post until the celebratory cows come home - let's make this a partay to remember with more posts than you can shake a stick at. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TEN
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: DEMOTIC!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:50 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »

Oatmeal, walnuts, cinammon, cranberries and coffee.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »

I'll try again. The server was "busy" when I tried to post this earlier at 5:15am

I can't find the exact first post but it was either very late 2002 (I lurked for a while) or early 2003. I came because of Internet radio. I found Donald first (his archived shows at the other Web site) and listened to his show every week. I finally stopped lurking, asked a question and some 7 plus years later, here I am, and here I shall stay.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »

Happy Anniversary to our Bruce!

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:59 AM »

HOORAY for Amy! Glad to hear the Jews are staying in the Village.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:22 AM »

DR Cillaliz, I'm curious who you and your mom are cheering for/voting for on Dancing With the Stars. I am Jennifer and Derek all the way.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 05:28:38 AM »

Happy Anniversary!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:33:46 AM »

Happy Anniversary & Mazel Tov!
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »

Good morning, all!

And Happy Tenth Anniversary, BK!

I'm in the middle of laundry at the moment. Everything just went into the dryers. Around 7:20, my phone rang and it was Susanna Moross Tarjan, who knows I'm generally up early, and we talked for about 30 minutes.  At first I worried that something had hasppened to a family member, since my dad always called early if there were a "situation."

Today, I have a meeting about the Appalachian Christmas piece in the late afternoon, and that's my onll priority. I may go to the NYPL for a bit around 11, but it depends on the time for the Appalachian meeting, which has yet to be determined.

I discovered HHW around October 2003, as I recall, from a conversation with Liz Callaway. I remember looking up the site and sending BK a congratulatory email, possibly around Thanksgving. In his response he asked me if I'd be interested in doing an interview and I said yes. I then completell forgot about it until one day in late December/early January the list of questions arrived. When the interview was posted, I started lurking to see what if anything would be said about it, and sometime around March 1 - maybe earlier - I jumped in. I hung on through WHERE'S CHARLEY? at Goodspeed, came back to Manhattan in July and had a series of health and apartment emergencies: my 18-feet of bookcases collapsed from too much weight, my air conditioning died, I pulled something in my lower back and was unable to walk for several weeks, then walked with crutches, I had a misdiagnosed perianal abscess that, given the wrong treatment, grew to the size of a baseball and literally exploded, requiring several rounds of surgery between 2004 and 2005. I think I was away from HHW for about six weeks or more until the chaos in my life got under control. I do remember that during the last part of this crisis, in October, we had an HHW gathering and I finally met DRs Ben, Noel, PennyO, and Jane. I believe there was one earlier, but at this point I can find neither a photo to prove it nor to display an accurate memory. The photo here is dated Oct 22, 2004 in my computer.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:37:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »

I miss Barrymore's. It was a great place for decent food and good company. It was unknown to many tourists. The real estate boom of the mid-21st Century made the leaseholders greedy. Now the lot sits empty with only our memories.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »

! ! ! ! !   HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY TO HAINES HIS WAY DOT COM   ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 06:13:11 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Later this afternoon Richard and I are going to Miami University's Voice of America Center to hear an author, after which we'll grab a bite of dinner and he'll drop me off at my AAUW meeting on his way to Messiah rehearsal.  Beforehand we need to do some preliminary prep for Thursday's family gathering and go for our walk.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »

I recall that i was doing the trivia contest in the Notes for a while, and hadn't been aware of the extent of what was in the discussions until Bruce told me there were clues to one of the questions in the discussions. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:20 AM »

happy Anniversary of the 10th Kind to HHW.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......not sure when I arrived.....it was on the old board.  And DR JMK brought me here.  So blame him.

Yes DR ELMORE I look forward to your review of the NJ BRAINEX.

Congrats to DR MICHAEL S on his planned play reading....and to DR EDISAURUS....

And vibes for the Last Dip for Little Ricky.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:50 AM »

I am off to join some friends from the Dept of Labor for a half day of fun.....still not feeling so well, so I am not sure how long I will last.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »

I got caught up in laundry, which is finished now, and posting the photo that I never really finished my train of thought about my six years of being an HHW member:

Since 2004, HHW has seen me through such emotional low points as the declining health and death of my dad in 2007, another abscess caught in time, a diabetic nightmare, financial crises, lost jobs, unhappiness in love, family and friendships as well as such high points as HHW gatherings, new friends, my first Broadway show FINIAN'S RAINBOW, the delightful BRAIN FROM PLANET X,  a Brent Barrett holiday recording and his subsequent show at Birdland, two documentaries by DR edisaurus, and a great many rewarding treks and visits.  Has any DR been so fortunate in finding a nuclear, if sometimes dysfunctional, family or continual party, if you prefer, as I?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:35:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 06:34:23 AM »

TOD - While in NYC on library business in the fall of 2004, I spent some time with DR Elmore who was just recovering from the travails he described in today's earlier post.  He had another friend in from out of town that same week - someone named Jane, who I figured was someone he'd worked with somewhere along the line.  He also told me about this website where he'd been spending a lot of time and I started lurking.  Before long, DR JRand posted a woman's picture and asked if anyone could identify her.  I registered, made the ID, and have been here ever since.  Didn't take long to figure out that the Jane visiting DR Elmore that week was our very own DR Jane and that my library business meetings had been held at DR Ben's workplace.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »

I miss Barrymore's. It was a great place for decent food and good company. It was unknown to many tourists. The real estate boom of the mid-21st Century made the leaseholders greedy. Now the lot sits empty with only our memories.

So do I, DR Ben!  Here's one of my favorite HHW photos:

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 06:37:42 AM »

TOD:

I started following the blog around the time that BK and I were doing the first reading of HAIL ON THE CHIEF.

We had both been aware of each other for years, but our paths never crossed until we were both at one of Ray Courts' celebrity autograph shows in Burbank.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »

I'm giving a talk tomorrow (10) night at the Austin Entertainment Network Mixer.

I spoke to this group when I first got to Austin (June '09) and it was great fun, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Laura

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 06:53:31 AM »

Happy Anniversary to us all!

What a swell group we have here!

Michael

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »

TOD

I believe I had written to BK to what was happening with him and he told me about HHW. It beleve it was sometime in January when I first started here
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

Happy Anniversary to bk, to Guy, and to all of us!

This site has certainly enhanced my life and I cherish all of the friends I've made through it! You guys made NY so much fun last week and were so warm and friendly to my mom and Naz. They loved meeting everyone! In addition to seeing you, we also enjoyed going to places we wouldn't have known about without you!

I hope to see Bruce in LA in about a week or so, and any other HHWers who might want to par-tay!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:54 AM »

I received an email from BK his very own self telling me to high myself over to HHW.  I believe I posted on the very first day.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »

Or is that hie myself?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »

Happiest of anniversaries and a big THANK YOU to BK for this site!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HAINES HIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »

DR Cillaliz, I'm curious who you and your mom are cheering for/voting for on Dancing With the Stars. I am Jennifer and Derek all the way.

Well, Mom doesn't like Maks, so she won't cheer for anyone he dances with. I tend to go for the underdogs and right now I'm liking Kyle and Lacey (I've never really liked Lacey before this season, but she's doing a great job with Kyle).  He's not the best dancer but to me, he really is the most entertaining.  I think Jennifer and Derek are the best dancers and I would be very happy if they won it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up