Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: JEWS AND BASEBALL  (Read 18665 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: JEWS AND BASEBALL
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »

And speaking of Film Scores...

I'm not sure that this program is syndicated, but WQXR here in NYC broadcasts "Movies On The Radio" every Saturday night.  Tonight's program is:

Alex North Centenary, Part 1

Right now, only the playlist is listed, but I believe some of the record labels may be very familiar to most everyone here on HHW. ;)

The show should be available as an audio archive after it broadcasts later tonight.

Last week's episode was the world broadcast premiere of the new version of Franz Waxman's Sunset Boulevard.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

PAGE FIVE ALEX NORTH DANCE!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »

edisaurus, I don't have your cell number, so call MY cell - our event is done at two and we could meet soon thereafter for a late lunch or later for an early dinner.

How about an early dinner? I thought you had my cell because the last 2 times I was here I tried to get together and you had called me back.  (One time I was on the plane to go home!) I'll PM it to you and also see if your # is the same. When we were here in Jan about getting together, you were in the throes of writing the last book, and I know you are now swamped with the event/Gardenia/new release, etc. and I didn't know if you'd have time to see us, so that will be a welcome treat!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »

TOD:  I think it would be cool to do a documentary about some really cool house and the people who lived there. Not just the original owners, but each of the  people who lived there and how they changed the look, feel etc of the house as well as events that happened there and how it effected the people who lived in the house. 

There was a fictional "If These Walls Could Talk" years ago on HBO.  I would want mine to be nonfiction, but it's the same idea

That doesn't sound very exciting when I write it down, but the idea in my head is wonderful

DR Cillaliz - The "If These Walls Could Talk" movies were wonderful. The first one dealt with abortion, and the second one with homosexuality.  The first segment of the second one starred Vanessa Redgrave and Marian Seldes. It was truly heartbreaking.  *And to tie it in to HHW - the opening scene of that segment has the two women watching a movie in a movie theater. The movie: "The Children's Hour".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

edisaurus, I don't have your cell number, so call MY cell - our event is done at two and we could meet soon thereafter for a late lunch or later for an early dinner.

How about an early dinner? I thought you had my cell because the last 2 times I was here I tried to get together and you had called me back.  (One time I was on the plane to go home!) I'll PM it to you and also see if your # is the same. When we were here in Jan about getting together, you were in the throes of writing the last book, and I know you are now swamped with the event/Gardenia/new release, etc. and I didn't know if you'd have time to see us, so that will be a welcome treat!

DR edisaurus - I believe I just texted your number to bk too. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »

DRs FJL and George - RE: Anything Goes at RTC - I guess I'm wondering more about the song arrangements - and the orchestrations.  I played keyboards for the bus and truck tour of that revival, and by that time the pit had been whittled down to eight pieces. I wonder if they're going to resurrect those charts. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »

WOW! Page 5 before 1:30pm EST on a Saturday? Not bad. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »

TOD:

The Andrea Doria

When I was looking up info on Leiber and Stoller before our interview, I found this interesting story on Wiki. Maybe it can be part of your doc:

In 1955, Leiber and Stoller produced a recording of their song, "Black Denim Trousers And Motorcycle Boots," with the white vocal group, The Cheers.[6] Soon after, the song was recorded by Édith Piaf in a French translation titled, "L'Homme à la Moto." The European royalties from another Cheers record, "Bazoom (I Need Your Lovin')," funded a 1956 trip to Europe for Stoller and his first wife, Meryl, on which they met Piaf. Their return to New York was aboard the ill-fated SS Andrea Doria, which was rammed and sunk by the Swedish liner MS Stockholm. The Stollers had to finish the journey to New York without the ship. After their rescue, Leiber greeted Stoller at the dock with the news that "Hound Dog" had become a hit for Presley.[5] Stoller's reply was, "Elvis who?"

Bazoom! LOL...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

Hmmm...

After this morning's exchange between DR vixmom and DR the vixter, I wonder if they would consider auditioning for "The Amazing Race".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  I shall now be on my way to an event.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2010, 10:52:01 AM »

I am packed and ready to go. I do need to run out and purchase a new key and lock for my luggage. I ruined the old key trying to break down a door at Toyland and now it won't work. Oy, don't ask!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »

I am packed and ready to go. I do need to run out and purchase a new key and lock for my luggage. I ruined the old key trying to break down a door at Toyland and now it won't work. Oy, don't ask!

I thought it was sopranos who couldn't find the key and didn't know when to come in.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »

~~~~~SUCCESSFUL LACCTAA EVENT VIBES TO BK AND THE LACCTAA~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »

I thought it was sopranos who couldn't find the key and didn't know when to come in.

And tenors.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »

And tenors.

Does that mean Larry's a tenor?   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »

I forgot to mention that because BK stated that NYC is the only place that "supping" happens, Betsy is preparing a wonderful evening of soy and Bocas for BK's next visit to PDX.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I would like to see a documentary about professional accompanists, classical ones in particular. There are a couple of "names" out there: Graham Johnson, Malcolm Martineau, Brian Zeger, Craig Rutenberg, etc. However, I would like to follow some of the staff accompanists at one of the larger music festivals (Tanglewood, Music Academy of the West, Aspen, etc.).  They have to learn so much music in a relatively short amount of time, and are paired with various vocalists and instrumentalists and personalities(!).

*On a related note/observation - I'm still wondering why in the press releases for new musicals - mainly on Broadway - the one staff member who is usually left off the production list is the Musical Director/Conductor.  -Is it because there's no longer a Tony category for Musical Directors?
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »

Two rather odd things happened last night at my club gig, both of which may be attributable to the Spanish Coffee I ingested.  I was doing One Note Samba, which I've done countless times, and all of a sudden I found myself doing the Brasil '66 medley version which combines that song with Spanish Flea.  I have never to my recollection ever played Spanish Flea (by BK's close personal friend, the late Julius Wechter), and yet there it was emerging from my fingertips.  Weird.  Then, later, without even thinking of it and I have no clew as to why, I found myself playing "Hello, It's Me" by Todd Rundgren.  I don't think I've played that song since I was a kid when it first came out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »

And tenors.

My singing beats description. I took a hammer to the key and now it works fine. I blame Jose. And Arnold, our cleaning man at Toyland.

Has anyone seen this Logo "reality" show, THE A LIST? What a bunch of whiney shallow people. Compare to these moronic queens  Sarah Palin seems deep and intellectual.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »

Two rather odd things happened last night at my club gig, both of which may be attributable to the Spanish Coffee I ingested.  I was doing One Note Samba, which I've done countless times, and all of a sudden I found myself doing the Brasil '66 medley version which combines that song with Spanish Flea.  I have never to my recollection ever played Spanish Flea (by BK's close personal friend, the late Julius Wechter), and yet there it was emerging from my fingertips.  Weird.  Then, later, without even thinking of it and I have no clew as to why, I found myself playing "Hello, It's Me" by Todd Rundgren.  I don't think I've played that song since I was a kid when it first came out.

DR JMK - That reminds me of one of the very rare nights I played "piano bar".  It was in the hotel bar of the Galt House in Louisville, KY, after three long days of SETC auditions.  I don't think I had a Spanish Coffee that night, but I know I had something similar. Or a couple of them. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »

And tenors.

Does that mean Larry's a tenor?   ;D

I believe the proper term here is: Brillo-tone.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »

And tenors.

I believe the proper term here is: Brillo-tone.

LOL! How rude.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »

Well, after all these many days. I am finally up and about, the computer is back from the shop after a complete system re-install, the myriad of software re-installation and web-site re-registerimg complete - and, last but noit least, the wildlife attended to:

Rcoky with his stare in the window "Where The Hell Have You Been" look:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »

Welcome Back, DR DERBRUCER!  -And Welcome Home to your Computer too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »

DR elmore - ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »

And now...

I guess I should get ready for my next 24 hours. A friend of mine is presenting Schubert's Winterreise tonight at The Gershwin Hotel, and I've been recruited as the official photographer for the event. ???  Before that I'm meeting up with some friends who are in town from Chicago for some catching up. And then once I'm back home tonight, I need to pack for my own trip back to Virginia tomorrow afternoon. I think - I may head down Monday.  -Wow! I guess Thanksgiving is next week!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »

Oh...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »

Welcome Back, DR DERBRUCER!  -And Welcome Home to your Computer too!

Thanx - did you, perchance, see the great spread the Sunday Washington Post did a few weeks back on the new Arena stage?

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »

Welcome back, DR der Brucer!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »

Welcome back, DR der Brucer!

Thanx - how's your diet coming?

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up