Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TO ALL YOU TURKEYS OUT THERE IN THE DARK  (Read 24713 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: TO ALL YOU TURKEYS OUT THERE IN THE DARK
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »

I'm having real mixed feelings today.  I'm fine that Mom and Dad couldn't get here and as I figured they are going to go to my brother's house for dinner - which they should.   I'm happy to be home, but wish I would have at least been invited to my brother's house.  Choosing to be alone is a little different from not having a choice.   I'm still going to focus on the positive and not let that ruin my day...but I do have my moments.   I am thankful for all of you here

DR Cillaliz - I'm dealing with similar feelings towards some extended family.  Richard and I are fine by ourselves and going out to dinner with my mother.  I totally accept Rob being with his fiance's family.  However, I can't help but wonder, if my outcome in August had not been so good, would Richard's brother or nieces have taken in a new widower?  Sometimes, family is not all it's cracked up to be and the families we create (like HHW) can mean as much as those into which we were born.

I know what you mean -- we just discovered that my sis in law and my neices are here - at her sisters house - not a phone call to my mom (their grandma  !) let alone a visit - after all her medical issues
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." So said Robert Frost. I don't think that's true any more. And that is why our extended families become so important to us. Yet, it's also not an excuse to treat your blood family badly.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »

And now I'm going to take a short nap before the food frenzy begins. Got the pies made, the roasted root vegetables, the onions sliced for the fried apples'n'onions. Only have the salad to make and I'm set to take off.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »

Oh Vixmom, I feel for your mother.

MBarnum

« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »

For MBarnum and other lovers of kitsch (I mean that in only the nicest way), I received an e-blast from VCI Entertainment that I think is keyed toward industry pro's, but you can take 60% off your entire order with the code HOLIDAY2010.  VCI has a lot of 1940s films that I think would interest MBarnum.

Woohoo! I let Cat Freddy know and he did some pretty decent birthday shopping for me, and at bargain prices! I believe that I am getting"

GORGO
 GREYDON CLARK DRIVE-IN Double Feature
 HERMAN COHEN CLASSIC HORROR Double Feature
 ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1970s Mexican version)
 SUPERSONIC MAN / War of the Robots
 THUNDER IN CAROLINA

Thanks JMK!

Ginny

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »

Oh Vixmom, I feel for your mother.

I do, too.  Holidays can bring out the best AND the worst in people.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »

well we sare heading out of here now to pick up my parents and head over to my brotjers - dinner is planned for 5, I beleive

Vixdad is staying home and in bed the creeping crud is fullblown now

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL

vixmom

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »

And now I'm going to take a short nap before the food frenzy begins. Got the pies made, the roasted root vegetables, the onions sliced for the fried apples'n'onions. Only have the salad to make and I'm set to take off.

friedn apples and onions?

Please post this recipe I have bnever heard of it but it sounds wonderful

MBarnum

« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »

All my Thanksgivings have been good ones...those with family...and those with friends...

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »

That last several years our Thanksgivings have been down in Corvallis, at my nephew John's in-laws home out in the country. I adore John's wife's family, just great, super nice people.

But this year mom hasn't been feeling very well so she was not going to go. I decided to take her out for Thanksgiving dinner and my sister and brother in law (John's parents) will join us. We will all meet at Marie Callendar's at 1pm. Love their pies!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »

Turkey is almost done and I am at CVS printing photos of our NY trip for Mom. Once again I am thankful to bk and all the friends from HHW for making NY such a fun trip!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »

Afternoon all.

We are eating around 4pm. Anthony, his mother Rose, his father Phil and me.

We are having a turkey breast, baked potatoes, dinner rolls and the world famous green bean casserole. It's world famous because I had it at our tumultuous Thanksgiving dinners with 7 children and two unhappy parents and I introduced it to the Morelli family. They like it enough that I now make it every year (it's been close to 10 years now). We will also have sour cream raisin pie for dessert.

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »

I work on Friday, so now Black Friday sales for me. Of course there wasn't anything I needed, anyway, and the fun of getting up THAT early and shopping with the crowds lost it's appeal a few years back.

Now I just buy $3.00 DVDs from Big Lots for everyone and then my Christmas shopping is done.

MBarnum

« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »

DR Ben, Green Bean Casserole is always my favorite!!!

Ben

« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »

My fondest memory of Thanksgiving was 6 years ago when our dear, dear friend, Catherine, who lived in Nottingham, came to Long Island with her daughter, Liz and two friends, Sadie and Pat, and spent Thanksgiving with us. It was a day long joyous event. Cath and the English Ladies (as Rose called them) had a stupendous time and we just basked in good feelings and happiness and joy. Cath died last year on November 4th from bone cancer, which began as lung cancer and while we miss her greatly, when we think of her we smile and laugh and remember all the joy she brought into our lives, especially that Thanksgiving day in 2004.

And that, dear friends, is my favorite Thanksgiving.

Happy Turkey Day to my dear on-line family.

MBarnum

« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »

I will, however, hit Michael's Crafts (they are open tonight from 5pm to 9pm (strange hours). There frames are all on sale from 40% to 60% off, plus there is a coupon for another 30% off anything in the store (including sale items)...and it just so happens I am in need of a 20 x 30 frame, and, if I recall correctly, they also carry a nice frame that will fit 1 sheet movie posters, and those are tough to find!

Ben

« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »

Bruce, if you wait until after rehearsal there probably will not be much for you to pick over. Black Friday specials are most often gone within the first few hours of shopping.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »

RE:  The Macy's Parade

I am not really sure that the New York Tourist Bureau (or maybe the American Theater Wing) will be very satisfied by the Broadway selections in this year's parade,  Only one of the four could actually be calle a good old-fashioned Broadway musical.  Growing up, the parade gave me a chance to see scenes and songs from great shows that I would never, otherwise, get to see.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »

What a sweet Thanksgiving memory DR Ben!

Ben

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

Anthony is a big fan of Michael's craft store as well. The sale flyers were delivered this morning with the papers and he saw the insert for Michael's and commented on the hours as well. I don't think we will be going but when I mentioned that they were open from 5pm-9pm there was a gleam in his eye!

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »

I'm having real mixed feelings today.  I'm fine that Mom and Dad couldn't get here and as I figured they are going to go to my brother's house for dinner - which they should.   I'm happy to be home, but wish I would have at least been invited to my brother's house.  Choosing to be alone is a little different from not having a choice.   I'm still going to focus on the positive and not let that ruin my day...but I do have my moments.   I am thankful for all of you here

DR Cillaliz - I'm dealing with similar feelings towards some extended family.  Richard and I are fine by ourselves and going out to dinner with my mother.  I totally accept Rob being with his fiance's family.  However, I can't help but wonder, if my outcome in August had not been so good, would Richard's brother or nieces have taken in a new widower?  Sometimes, family is not all it's cracked up to be and the families we create (like HHW) can mean as much as those into which we were born.

Hugs to you, Ginny, and I couldn't agree more.  But we aren't really alone, we've taken over BK's living room!

Ginny

« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »

Feel better vibes to Vixdad!  I remember one year when Rob and I left Richard home while we went to a gathering at his aunt's.  She sent him a plate.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »

friedn apples and onions?

Please post this recipe I have bnever heard of it but it sounds wonderful

Rachael Ray doesn't something like that...shoot, I forgot about it.  She does a good apples and onion stuffing mix...maybe I'll make that tomorrow!

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »

Feel better vibes to Vixdad and my dad....I feel for your mom, vixmom

Ginny

« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

Actually, DR Jane, if not for my Mom, Richard and I might have gone to Michigan for this holiday.  In addition to Mary Linda's family, my sister lives there and is recovering from foot surgery.  My niece is there from Illinois and my nephew and his girlfriend will join them all for dinner later.  Mom has no interest in traveling any more, so we're looking after her.  Also my aunt, who's pretty much a recluse.  We'll visit her before we pick up Mom.

Ginny

« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »

Thanks, DR Cillaliz!  Hugs back to you!

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »

I am all dressed up with someplace to go!  That's another thing I like about not hosting a houseful - for that I dress comfy in khakis.  The dressy dress I have on is one my mom gave me that didn't fit when I first got it!

Bye for now and Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Mom and her BF and my brother Ken are coming over later for dinner that the DP is creating.  I stay out of the way and keep my mouth shut.  My lower back is irritated at the moment so I think I'm going to go lay down and read some more of Patti's biography. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up