Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES  (Read 45110 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:31 AM »

To me, the problem with "Inception" was Leonardo DiCaprio. His performance, at times, was just embarrassing. He was a black hole at the center of "Shutter Island," too. I just don't see why people keep hiring him. He's nowhere near the actor he's made out to be.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »

A Dreamy Page Two Dance!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »

TOD: I have the stereotypical test dream on occasion. I'm in a classroom having to take a test in order to get my college degree. I think it's a math class and I haven't shown up for the class in more than a month. For some reason, my wooden desk is behind a pole covered in pale green tiles. I guess I've grown so bored with the dream that I concentrate more on the furnishings than the test itself.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »

TOD:

I used to have recurring dreams that I, or I and various friends/family, were being chased by the zombies from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Another recurring dream was me walking, but then my legs would be so heavy or something, and I couldn't move forward at all, or just barely.

Also, I would have dreams of appearing in a stage play, opening night, and not knowing my lines...sometimes hadn't even read the script. Very terrifying.

I have not had any of these dreams in years, now.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »

This week, however, I have had recurring dreams of working back at my old job at Bi-mart. In the past, when I would have these dreams, they were more like nightmares, but this week's batch of Bi-Mart dreams have been rather nice. Maybe because in these dreams I was working there only part time.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »

Last night I came home to several packages at my door...either the manager or the post man was nice enough to bring them up...and amongh these packages were my birthday gifts from DR JRand!!

Thanks JRand...especially for the beautiful, gorgeous photos of Ms. Allison Hayes! Two of those I had never even seen before, let alone owned. The third one I had seen before, but still didn't own!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you....also, some interesting looking books in the mix and a mystery DVD which I think might have to do with the Putnam County Play House? Am I right? I didn't get a chance to put it into the DVD player.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Richard and I have been making some travel plans for a January trip down south, combining some church business with a celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary.  I'm also getting ready for my eye exam today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »

TOD - Librarian dream, trying to close the building and not being able to get everyone out.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »

TOD - Librarian dream, trying to close the building and not being able to get everyone out.
Not to make light of your dream, but I was just at the main library on Tuesday when they had to evacuate everyone. I don't know what it was for; the voice over the intercom crackled as badly as if I were at a fast food drive-thru.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »

FJL, the good news is that if someone is googling you and visiting the site, they aren't using the search function to search for you - I can see what people are searching for.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »

I'm up and soon we will be shipping CDs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And something tells me the furnace ran out of oil sometime last night... Brrrrr...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »

Just popped in "The Bishop's Wife." Don't think I ever noticed that Jerome Moross did the orchestrations.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The only recurring dream I can recall was more of a quasi-nightmare.  I was nine- or ten-years old at the time. There were a series of nights where I dreamt I was constantly falling down some sort of well, and the walls of this "well" were spinning around me and seemed to be made out of those marble composition books. I can still remember waking up dizzy, and also not wanting to fall back asleep.

Other than that... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »

I got an email offering a discount on SPIDERMAN tickets.....Orchestra Flying Circle through February 27 - the optimists!

Use code SMBWW1 to get $137 tickets for $79 or $142 tickets for $99.

For some reason they are pushing December 19 at 3 p.m.

My enthusiasm for going to see SPIDER-MAN has waned.  I had planned on going up to see it in previews this month, but then the 60 Minutes segment played and its pretty much sold out for the month, matinee-wise.  And the reports haven't been all that glowing.  I think I can wait until I start hearing better news about it.

Yep, it's been interesting seeing the discount codes popping up for Spider-Man....

I'm still kind of interested in seeing it, however, I'm just not sure I would be able to enjoy it. I mean, there's quite a difference between exciting moments and fearing for someone's safety throughout the course of an evening.  I just really hope that Natalie Mendoza is able to return to the show sooner rather than later.  And I still haven't heard if the actor who broke his wrists during the group sales preview is actually back in the show, or just sitting in the wings each night.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »

I got an email offering a discount on SPIDERMAN tickets.....Orchestra Flying Circle through February 27 - the optimists!

Use code SMBWW1 to get $137 tickets for $79 or $142 tickets for $99.

For some reason they are pushing December 19 at 3 p.m.

My enthusiasm for going to see SPIDER-MAN has waned.  I had planned on going up to see it in previews this month, but then the 60 Minutes segment played and its pretty much sold out for the month, matinee-wise.  And the reports haven't been all that glowing.  I think I can wait until I start hearing better news about it.

Yep, it's been interesting seeing the discount codes popping up for Spider-Man....

I'm still kind of interested in seeing it, however, I'm just not sure I would be able to enjoy it. I mean, there's quite a difference between exciting moments and fearing for someone's safety throughout the course of an evening.  I just really hope that Natalie Mendoza is able to return to the show sooner rather than later.  And I still haven't heard if the actor who broke his wrists during the group sales preview is actually back in the show, or just sitting in the wings each night.
I agree with you. I think the worry factor would override the entertainment factor. Though some bloodthirsty Romans out there are probably buying tickets in hopes of seeing the actors injure themselves.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »

Just popped in "The Bishop's Wife." Don't think I ever noticed that Jerome Moross did the orchestrations.

Moross was brought to Hollywood by his friend Aaron Copland to orchestrate "The Heiress." A lot of his income before he started writing film scores was as a film orchestrator.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:37 AM »

DR MBarnum's post reminded me that I had a recurring dream for a long time of being at a theatre alumni function wherein students were doing scenes from, or complete performances of, plays they'd been in in school. I was always standing in the wings thinking, WHAT'S MY LINE?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »

Moross was brought to Hollywood by his friend Aaron Copland to orchestrate "The Heiress." A lot of his income before he started writing film scores was as a film orchestrator.
I never saw this movie as a kid, so it doesn't hold as great a sentimental attachment for me as, say, "Miracle on 34th Street," but watching it this morning has made me realize just how much I enjoy the movie. (Not the Penny Marshall remake.)
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »

Ugh... I just got sick to my stomach reading a report that the Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral...
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »

Does anybody else think that the Ronni Chasen murder is getting a bit strange?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/12/09/skeptical-ronni-chasen-murder-robbery-gone-wrong/
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

From Cilla:
However they did get the right suite number on my bill.

Of course.  ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »

In happier news...

It turns out a friend of mine is playing in the band for Donny and Marie's Christmas Show here in NYC, and he had an extra ticket for their opening night tonight. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »

In happier news...

It turns out a friend of mine is playing in the band for Donny and Marie's Christmas Show here in NYC, and he had an extra ticket for their opening night tonight. :)
I hope you wear blinders. Their teeth are said to hurt retinas.

Enjoy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »

― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »

In happier news...

I hope you wear blinders. Their teeth are said to hurt retinas.

Enjoy.

Well, I'll be sure to only look at one of them at a time.

;D  8)  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »

From Jose:
DR Jane - If your text messaging works outside of your house, then it should work in your house. In general, if you can receive and make calls in your house, then you should be able to send and receive texts too.

As for checking your messages from a land line, the usual protocol is dialing your own number, then pressing # or *. That should bring up your voicemail menu, prompting you to enter your PIN.

Here are the instructions from T-Mobil's website: Calling voicemail from a landline

Thanks.

Cell phone service at our house has always been terrible.  Often the phone will ring but I can't talk, but at least it rang & I could see who called.  I could send text messages & receive them in a few areas in the house.  Now texting rarely works and sending them is almost impossible or can take an hour unless I go outside.  It is getting rather cold to stand outside.

Standing outside is what I had to do in order to call for my PIN so I can check voice mail from a land line.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »

MBarnum I hate when I forget to take the leftovers with me.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »

Ugh... I just got sick to my stomach reading a report that the Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral...

Last week I rented, from Netflix, a documentary on Fred Phelps and his family...quite fascinating...very disturbing, especially the interviews with his little 6 and 7 year old grandchildren...oh, the vile things that spewed from this little children's mouths....it was horrifying and sad.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »

Last week I rented, from Netflix, a documentary on Fred Phelps and his family...quite fascinating...very disturbing, especially the interviews with his little 6 and 7 year old grandchildren...oh, the vile things that spewed from this little children's mouths....it was horrifying and sad.

And it's even more horrifying and sad when you witness it in person and happen to be a target of one of their picket lines/hate demonstrations. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up