Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES  (Read 45101 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »

BK, ..speaking of lovers who meet in dreams, have you ever seen the old Gary Cooper movie, PETER IBBETSON based on a novel by George Du Maurier (it was also adapted into a play with John Barrymore).  Gary Cooper kills the tyranical husband of the woman he loves,  goes to prison.  The bond between the two lovers is so strong that they meet in their dreams, always staying young, never aging as they do in real life.  Eventually, they just spend their time sleeping so they can meet.  I haven't seen it in years, but you can see the problem.  With the two sleeping all the time and meeting idyllically in dreams, it becomes rather dramatically inert.  Or at least that's my ancient memory of it.

I have only seen this movie once.  I remember waiting for them to meet again in real life. ;D 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »

Ah....

PAGE THREE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

I love the Jeanette MacDonald movie Smilin' Through about couples who meet and miss each other during time....it is most enjoyable....in color....and makes me cry each time I watch it.

Yes DR MBARNUM you have a DVD of my starring performance in NEVER TOO LATE from Putnam County Playhouse last September!  Watch it if you dare.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

DR JOSE have you ever seen DONNY & MARIE live?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »

I haven't seen them together, but have seen them each in different projects....and met Marie after the show....nice lady....

We saw her in THE SOUND OF MUSIC.....and all I could think of when she started the show lying on a "hill"......is.....that girl is STACKED....whew!  Very unexpected.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »

DR JOSE have you ever seen DONNY & MARIE live?

DR JRand - Hmm... Actually, I don't think I have seen either of them live.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »

I haven't seen them together, but have seen them each in different projects....and met Marie after the show....nice lady....

We saw her in THE SOUND OF MUSIC.....and all I could think of when she started the show lying on a "hill"......is.....that girl is STACKED....whew!  Very unexpected.
I have a friend who was called on stage during their Vegas act  to sing with Marie. He and his wife got to go backstage for the after-party and he had the exact same comments to make about her.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

Interesting reading about the dreams....

Here is a site that some may find of interest....I don't use it myself.....but it could save you some consultation money.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »

I have a friend who was called on stage during their Vegas act  to sing with Marie. He and his wife got to go backstage for the after-party and he had the exact same comments to make about her.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »

As of January a lot of paypal businesses will be bolting thanks to yet more intrusion by the government.  The rich get richer and the people using paypal and make over a certain amount will now be subject to the prying eyes of the you-know-who.  Paypal has fought this for years, but you can't win - so people will now have to find other ways.  We'll have to switch over to a shopping cart system where people will use their charge cards.  We'll keep paypal as an option until we get near the limit, then we'll stop.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »

I try not to remember my dreams.

For the most part, I don't remember my dreams...if I do, I barely remember anything about them.  And as far as I know, I've never had a recurring dream.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »

As of January a lot of paypal businesses will be bolting thanks to yet more intrusion by the government.  The rich get richer and the people using paypal and make over a certain amount will now be subject to the prying eyes of the you-know-who.  Paypal has fought this for years, but you can't win - so people will now have to find other ways.  We'll have to switch over to a shopping cart system where people will use their charge cards.  We'll keep paypal as an option until we get near the limit, then we'll stop.
Whatever work best for you. Let us know the best method and I'll use it when I can order.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »

Ugh... I just got sick to my stomach reading a report that the Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral...

That congregation should be euthanized on grounds of terminal assholism.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2010, 12:39:54 PM »

I love the Jeanette MacDonald movie Smilin' Through about couples who meet and miss each other during time....it is most enjoyable....in color....and makes me cry each time I watch it.

Yes DR MBARNUM you have a DVD of my starring performance in NEVER TOO LATE from Putnam County Playhouse last September!  Watch it if you dare.

SMILIN' THROUGH was made into a Vincent Youmans floperetta "Through the Years," but the score is quite wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »

Ugh... I just got sick to my stomach reading a report that the Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral...

That congregation should be euthanized on grounds of terminal assholism.

I know it's in the spirit of "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth", but I wonder if anyone pickets the funerals of members of the Westboro Baptist Church?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »

:(

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

I find I usually don't like movies about dreamworlds or time travel.  you have to be very careful not to trip over the logic and rules of your world and you're spending a lot of exposition always explaining it...or you just ignore it which immediately takes me out of the film, because I'm asking the logic questions.

FJL

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »

Jose - with three people injured, none while actually onstage performing, is there any indication (other than the extreme scrutiny of the reporters) that SPIDER-MAN is more dangerous than other physical musicals like SHOGUN? 

Aren't there injuries on many musicals?

FJL

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »

Naturally, if Oprah's going to choose someone dead like Dickens, there must be a YouTube parody about it.

As living authors turn all holiday-green with envy, Oprah Winfrey selects two Dickens novels (Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations) as her 65th Book Club selection. 

We gently parody the selection through a number from perhaps the most famous Dickens musical.

AS LONG AS SHE READS ME - featuring the vocal stylings of Charles Dickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBeWfW-tYY

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

Jose - with three people injured, none while actually onstage performing, is there any indication (other than the extreme scrutiny of the reporters) that SPIDER-MAN is more dangerous than other physical musicals like SHOGUN? 

WOW! Shogun! I guess I've blocked that out after seeing it during it's pre-Broadway run at The Kennedy Center. -And I believe it underwent a ton of changes before opening in NYC. I don't recall anything that dangerous in there. Although, that earthquake, earth splitting apart effect was pretty cool.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »

Jose - Didn't Phil Casnoff  get  hurt badly by falling scenery?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »

Do you know how many people die ever year doing Jersey Boys?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »

I really don't remember hearing - or rather following - any of the on-stage and off-stage mishaps of that production.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »

And at WICKED - and that was well into the run, the day before Idina Menzel was supposed to have her last performance

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/01-2005/midperformance-injury-sidelines-wicked-star-idina_5516.html

I have no friends involved in SPIDER-MAN but it does seem that the reporting has been greater on the injuries.

FJL

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »

New York Times
November 14, 1990
'Shogun' Lead Is Injured By Scenery in Performance

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/14/theater/shogun-lead-is-injured-by-scenery-in-performance.html?scp=5&sq=%22philip%20casnoff%22&st=cse

A large piece of scenery fell on Philip Casnoff, the lead actor in the Broadway musical "Shogun," at last night's performance at the Marquis Theater. Mr. Casnoff, who was struck on the head, was taken by ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, where he was reported to be conscious and undergoing tests early this morning.

The performance was canceled immediately after the incident, which occurred at 10:20 P.M., well into the second act of a preview heavily attended by critics before the show's scheduled opening tomorrow night. Sam Rudy, a press representative for "Shogun," said it was unclear whether the production would open as scheduled. He said all decisions would depend on Mr. Casnoff's condition.

Mr. Casnoff was kept at the hospital overnight for observation.

"He appears to be fine," said Susan Bolotin, a friend of Mr. Casnoff.

She said that Mr. Casnoff had said he felt he could go back onstage for tonight's performance, but that his wife disagreed.

Doctors at the hospital were awaiting the results of tests, including a CAT scan, before commenting.

There was no immediate indication of whether an understudy had been fully prepared to step in to assume Mr. Casnoff's lengthy role in the show.

Mr. Casnoff assumed the lead in the New York production, replacing Peter Karre, a British actor who opened the show in Washington. A Spark, Then a Fall

The incident began with what seemed to be an electrical spark. A moment later, a screen fell at center stage and knocked Mr. Casnoff to the floor amid screams from the audience and cast. Members of the cast and the backstage crew rushed to his side, and people called for a doctor. An unidentified orthopedic surgeon made his way to the stage, and an announcement was made canceling the rest of the performance. When Mr. Casnoff did not get up, stagehands assembled a makeshift stretcher. Twenty-five minutes after the accident, he was taken to St. Vincent's by ambulance.

While Mr. Casnoff was surrounded by the musical's personnel, the audience was asked to leave the theater.

"Shogun," whose cost was estimated in March at $6 million, is a stage version of the James Clavell novel. It had its premiere on Sept. 6 at the Kennedy Center in Washington. Mr. Clavell began planning the musical stage production even before the 1980 television mini-series.

The musical is the story of a 17th-century English sea captain who is shipwrecked on the coast of Japan, falls in love with a Japanese woman and becomes involved in that country's political power struggles. It was produced by Mr. Clavell, Joseph Harris and Haruki Kadokawa, a Japanese publisher and film producer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »

And in DC, Peter Karrie was still playing John Blackmore.  And, oooohhhh was he miscast.

*Besides replacing Peter Karrie once it go to NYC, I do remember hearing that the song about "pillowing tools' - complete with props! - was cut.

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up