Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY  (Read 47201 times)

Ginny

Re: 'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  As you may have guessed, we did not go to Lima today.  When my alarm went off at 5:30, Richard discovered that last night's rain had frozen and our driveway was solid ice.  He told me to go back to sleep and he'd get up at 7 and call the church's senior warden.  When he did that, it had snowed on top of the ice, both here and in Lima, so the deal was sealed.  There's kind of a lull in the weather at the moment, but the predictions are for substantial snow later today into tomorrow.  Is it spring yet?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »

Thank you to DRs Sam and Jose for last night's birthday wishes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »

DR TCB, I don't regard DR MBarnum as a pet so much as a "Ma, he followed me home!" That's why he has to sleep outside on the fire escape until he agrees to the sheep dip.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:31:01 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR Elmore - you've made the right decision to stay in for a couple of days!

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »

The SC Journal had a nice interview/article about Baayork Lee today. Bruce generally does a nice job of doing real interviews and not just using the press pack  A Chorus Line will be here tomorrow night  http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/local/article_fa73abd7-2895-540c-a7dc-fc2462437f83.html

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »

I'm pleased to see you are seriously looking for a cat.   They are such great company.  I would suggest going to the shelter or adoption center and playing with the cat before adoption.  Some cats are much more affectionate, some don't really want to be held etc.   You can't really tell that from the internet.

This last time, I had my mind made up about the cat I wanted to adopt but when I met the cat, there was no connection what-so-ever.  I kept looking and Ricky captured my heart.  He hadn't been there long enough to be online yet. He was past the cute kitten stage, so his chances of being adopted were less that a kitty.   I posted the other cat on my facebook and don't know if that helped, but she was adopted within a day or so. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

That last post was for DR ELMORE

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »

It is 0 degrees outside. Yup no degrees at all.  The windchill is -20.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »

Good grief, Paul just called and wondered if I'd dug out enough to meet him for coffee.  Hello, it's 0 degrees, -20 windchill and you want me to dig out to meet for coffee.  Thank you no, I'll stay home and drink my own coffee until it warms up to that high 7 before I start digging out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »

I'm pleased to see you are seriously looking for a cat.   They are such great company.  I would suggest going to the shelter or adoption center and playing with the cat before adoption.  Some cats are much more affectionate, some don't really want to be held etc.   You can't really tell that from the internet.

This last time, I had my mind made up about the cat I wanted to adopt but when I met the cat, there was no connection what-so-ever.  I kept looking and Ricky captured my heart.  He hadn't been there long enough to be online yet. He was past the cute kitten stage, so his chances of being adopted were less that a kitty.   I posted the other cat on my facebook and don't know if that helped, but she was adopted within a day or so. 

I'm window shopping. Part of the complication I'm having is that for a lot of the young cats the caretaker is asking for a cat to be apodted into a cat household or for you to adopt two cats, Right now, with my current cash flow hell, I cannot really afford to take one, much less two! I am having fun looking and I think something will happen with one or two cats in the near future.

What's frustrating is that often cats in a famly are not on the same page: I looked at an adorable Siamese mix named Berrie, whom the caretakers would like to see adopted with his sibling Blondie. Okay, where the hell is Blondie?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:03:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »

That last post was for DR ELMORE

I was pretty certain it wasn't for me  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »

Window shopping is good, DR Elmore. Don't forget to look at the cats that are a little older.  They are the ones that have a hard time finding a forever home.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »

DR Cillaliz - wise choice not to go out today.

In addition to missing church, we're also not going to the public open house at Miami Valley Hospital's new heart tower, which was quite the topic of discussion when I was in that hospital in August.  Biggest improvement, IMHO, is that all patient rooms are now private.  I was looking forward to seeing the new facility, but I'm not eager to return there as a patient.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »

Window shopping is good, DR Elmore. Don't forget to look at the cats that are a little older.  They are the ones that have a hard time finding a forever home.

I'm also looking at young cats up to  little over a year old. It isn't that I would mind having an older animal, I'm too set in my ways to want a cat als set in his or hers!

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »

I just got home from breakfast with Santa. If you can call it breakfast. And is it breakfast with Santa if Santa isn't there?

It was quite bizarre. We got there at 9am and the lady in charge was actually quite organized. She had name tags for the kids and there was a list of the winners.

But then the breakfast part was not pre-organized. They brought a grocery cart in (from the grocery store in the same mall) and there were clementines, muffins, cheese, yogurt. But the woman had to leave and plate them. So that took around 30 minutes.

Mrs. Claus arrived for pictures so that was good. But there was supposed to be entertainment. I guess if you call Mrs. Claus reading a book after breakfast entertainment, then there was some.

I think I would have had the mall Christmas train running, had a better breakfast. And had some coffee and muffins for the parents.

Another thing that bugged me is Mrs Claus did everything in french instead of in French and English. There were a few older bossy kids who were french so I guess they went with that.

Santa arrived at 10:15am but unfortunately the storm outside had started. So we had to get ready to leave.

The Santa part was nice but I would have had him arrive at 9:15am (since it was breakfast with Santa). 

The surprise part was they had Santa give a present for each kid who won. And these were actually nicer than I was expecting. There was a reusable bag from the mall and a glass from the mall (good for the parents). And my niece's had a dora 48 piece puzzle, and little Dora backpack that she gave to her baby sister. And a christmas coloring book. But it was all nicely wrapped in the bag.

My niece thinks she had a good time even though we had to rush out at the end to miss the storm.  I think the woman doing it just didn't know how to do it better. She probably doesn't have kids. She did seem nice though.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »

six-month old Mark is a cutey. I guess I'm particularly interested in short haired cats.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:40:54 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »

I'm also aware that by the time I get my act together all of these animals may be taken!

FJL

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

Jennifer -  is it likely there would have been more time with Santa if not for the storm?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »

six-month old Mark is a cutey. I guess I'm particularly interested in short haired cats.
I vote for Mark.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »

Both services went well. One of the pieces was "Carol of the Bells" in a simplified version. We've played this maybe three or four times over the past 10 years and with many of the same players. But for some reason, this year, the piece was a headache. We never got it right and rehearsed it over and over again. Today, during both services, we nailed it. That was a big relief.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

Steve Suskin gives another shout out to Kritzerland Records for Promises as a Christmas gift.

Promises, Promises
Good read.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »

I'm up, and it looks like quite a pretty day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »

I'm getting a barrage of text messages from my dining and show companion last night - apparently she felt "humiliated" because at one point this singer asked me if I was married to the pretty lady I was with - I said no.  She asked if we'd soon be married - I said, I don't think so.  Apparently this was humiliating.  I just said sorry, but sometimes my brain doesn't think fast enough to come up with the witty aside when I'm dragged on the stage (when I don't want to be) and asked questions like that.  In hindsight, I should have said "I plead the 5th" - I'm good after the fact, but you sort of get what you get when I'm dragged on the stage.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

I'm getting a barrage of text messages from my dining and show companion last night - apparently she felt "humiliated" because at one point this singer asked me if I was married to the pretty lady I was with - I said no.  She asked if we'd soon be married - I said, I don't think so.  Apparently this was humiliating.  I just said sorry, but sometimes my brain doesn't think fast enough to come up with the witty aside when I'm dragged on the stage (when I don't want to be) and asked questions like that.  In hindsight, I should have said "I plead the 5th" - I'm good after the fact, but you sort of get what you get when I'm dragged on the stage.

I don't understand this. What's your friend's problem? If you are not married to her, what's her problem with your saying what you did? How was she humiliated? I see nothing humiliating in stating that you most likely would not be marrying your date.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's raining in NYC. Well, not this very moment, but it has been and is supposed to be.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »

DR Sam I hesitated getting the flu shot and found it no big deal.  Keith finally submitted, and the reason I began, after getting the flu two years in a row.  Of course there is no guarantee we still won't get it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »

DR JohnG - I'm sorry to hear that I passed on my acid reflux to you. ;)

~~~~~REFLUX-BE-GONE VIBES TO YOU~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »

DR JohnG - Will you be trying out any more new restaurants soon? Or cookie and cake recipes? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:26 PM »

~~~~~COLD-BE-GONE VIBES TO DR ELMORE~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »

Off to play bells this morning in our annual Festival of Lessons and Carols. Should be fun.

Oh my gosh, I read that as Festival of Losers and Carols!  Sorry.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up