Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE  (Read 34547 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2004, 03:02:59 PM »

This is the time of year when I'm deluged with DVD's and Tapes for Emmy voting. Some are wonderful, others (most) are - NOT. Today I did well. I got in the mail a full boxed set of ANGELS IN AMERICA,; JUDY GARLAND: BY MYSELF; ARTHUR MIILER, ELIA KAZAN AND THE BLACKLIST; Ken Burns' HORATIO'S DRIVE; THE LA PHILHARMONIC INAGURATES DISNEY HALL...and some other stuff. Not bad.
Add the Miller/Kazan documentary to our list of a few days back.  I thought it was very interesting, and even-handed in dealing with these two confrontational men.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2004, 03:06:36 PM »

PAGE FIVE!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2004, 03:09:54 PM »

Still have nothing to say. Still waiting for my grades.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2004, 03:13:31 PM »

GOOD GRADE VIBES, SANDRA!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »

DR Sandra, are any of your classmates also still waiting for their grades to be posted?

Vibes to everything being better than you expect!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2004, 03:26:26 PM »

I don't know about my classmates, but I would guess so. And thanks for the vibes Panni and S. Woody.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2004, 03:27:58 PM »

Best wishes Sandra - is there anyone you can telephone about the results. Things do go wrong!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2004, 03:47:59 PM »

No, it's just that my teachers are taking their time figuring up the grades. My English teacher must be the hold-up. Let me describe her for you. Turquoise cowboy boots, an outfit I'm sure was a reject from the wardrobe of Mama Mia, earrings you could use as windchimes, and two-toned hair an eagle could nest in.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2004, 03:51:31 PM »

No doubt you will all be interested to know that the Eurovison Song contest - the contest that gave us Abba and Celien Dion as winners - has just finished and was won by the Ukrainian entry "Wild Dances". Second was the entry from Serbia-Montenegro with the Greek entry coming in third. The contest was held in Istanbul and I assume will move to Kiev next year.
If you don't "knowfrom  Eurovison" think "Love Is Blue", "Volare" and "Waterloo". In past years the UK has been represented by songs performed by Olivia Newton John, Cliff Richard, Michael Ball and Lulu.  Colm Wilkinson sang for Ireland one year. Tommy Koeberg has represented Sweden and Frances Ruffel has sung for the UK. Norwegian group "Secret Garden are from Eurovision.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:54:02 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2004, 04:11:10 PM »

I assume everyone has left so that they can search data base sites for all the wonders of Eurovison Song contests since 1956.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2004, 04:38:28 PM »

I am listening to the Swiss entry this year which had 0 votes in the semi final! "Celebrate and clap your hands - have a wonderful time -  the world is a beautiful place"  are I think all that is sung over and over and over and over and over.
I am absolutely my own posting frenzy today. A dialogue with myself.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »

Well; I had left to search the results for you Dear Reader Tomovoz BUT you obviously found them way before me!

I have to say that at the same time I had to fight the next door Parisian songcontest provided by our neighbouring bar that now pretends it's a night club that spreads unto the sidewalk....

Ahhhh, les vicissitudes de la vie communautaire!

François de Paris

« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2004, 04:46:47 PM »

"The world is a beautiful place"???????????

No wonder they got 0!

What a Wonderful World, hey?

Only in Switzerland, hiddedle dee dee!

François de Paris

« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2004, 04:50:37 PM »

I heard that the Disney entry -- from Disneyland, Paris, of course! -- after all, it's the European Song Contest.... -- was:

It's A Small World............ but I believe someone was pulling my leg!

That should make Dear Reader Pogue very happy!

Jed

« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2004, 04:55:32 PM »

How I despise job hunting.  Wretched task, it is.  Did get in another 10-12 applications in this afternoon, though.  Now just need something to come from one of 'em.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2004, 04:56:58 PM »

"0" votes for EuroDisney.
Andora and Monaco competed this year. Next year maybe "Vatican City" will be there. Lichtenstein (sp!)has not competed but Luxemburg and Monaco have both produced winners.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2004, 04:59:55 PM »

Good luck out there Jed. People don't seen to realise the time and cost involved in preparing resumés that must be appropriate to certain criteria. The people looking for jobs are so often the least able to afford the costs of the application. Catch 22 or whatever.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2004, 05:05:38 PM »

I ate two Popeye's chicken breasts.

The recording session went fine - I was in the room for less than two minutes to sing my little bit.  I gather everyone else was taking quite a bit of time as they weren't used to the studio.  It was one of those little home-grown places that I abhor, but I sang my little bit and they liked it and I got right out of there.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2004, 05:09:54 PM »

Factoid about Popey's chicken: There's some Adam Sandler movie I was told about - some movie in which he's the son of the devil (Little Mike?) - in which they talk about Popeye's chicken quite often. When it was shown on Fox, the word "Popeye's" wasn't used and whenever the box was shown it was blurry.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »

My English teacher must be the hold-up. Let me describe her for you. Turquoise cowboy boots, an outfit I'm sure was a reject from the wardrobe of Mama Mia, earrings you could use as windchimes, and two-toned hair an eagle could nest in.
She's probably too busy watching the EuroVision Song Contest for fashion tips, so don't expect the grades 'til that's over.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2004, 05:14:34 PM »

Factoid about Popey's chicken: There's some Adam Sandler movie I was told about - some movie in which he's the son of the devil (Little Mike?) - in which they talk about Popeye's chicken quite often. When it was shown on Fox, the word "Popeye's" wasn't used and whenever the box was shown it was blurry.
Product placement turns into product displacement.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2004, 05:16:29 PM »

Corned beef brisket tonight, simmering away in the dutch oven with some onions, carrots, and celery.  I'll add more carrots and celery, some cabbage, and taters later, since I don't want those to overcook.  (The first batch of veg is for flavor.)

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2004, 05:18:19 PM »

I used to look at "Product Placement" as part of the Business Management course I taught. The students really became very good at spotting the products - particularly on TV shows. "Friends" used to do it quite often. I guess "Queer Eye" has now taken it to the extreme. It really is an advertisement packaged as entertainment.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2004, 05:22:28 PM »

I'm very logey right now.  Logey = low key.  Low key = logey.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2004, 05:25:25 PM »

What a lot of interesting posts!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2004, 05:30:53 PM »

Donna, Mr. Haines is awaiting his closeup.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2004, 05:31:21 PM »

Do you know if we all posted fifty posts in the next minute we'd break all LPs?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2004, 05:32:03 PM »

I need my second wind.  My first wind is gone.  Yes, Virginia, my first wind is gone and I, for one, say gone with the wind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2004, 05:32:13 PM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »

And you thought I was kidding with the fifty posts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up