Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE  (Read 34446 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 08:15:13 AM »

Good morning. The topic du jour is not one to which I can contribute much. I used to have a number of interesting LP's - but not now (although I have a turntable). I had a bf who used to bring me back various rare and wonderful LP's from a little used records store he frequented somewhere in New England. No longer have the bf or the LP's. Wish I still had the LP's.

Panni

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 08:17:18 AM »

PAGE TWO!  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 08:29:59 AM »

Well I know that JR and I would both give our eye teeth (no mean feat) for a CD release of Frances Farmer Swings Fats Domino.   :P

There are still a few Sergio Mendes related LPs that have yet to get released on CD, notably two from his Brasil '66 spinoff Bossa Rio, Bossa Rio Live at Expo 70 and Alegria, both released on the Capitol imprint Blue Thumb (which was briefly resurrected a few years ago).  Lord only knows who owns the catalog now, so it will probably never happen.

In soundtrack land, I'd love Up the Down Staircase, The Collector and Lord Jim (to name but a few) on CD.  In cast album land, how's about Family Affair, Philemon, Anya (the OCR--we all know of BK's most excellent re-do), and Donnybrook (for starters)?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 08:31:20 AM »

The Collector had a brief release on CD, along with several other Mainstream/Ava soundtrack albums.  They're all out of print now, but not all that hard to find.

JMK

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2004, 08:33:50 AM »

Really?  Wow!  I have the Mainstream Patch of Blue on CD, I'll have to search now for The Collector.  Care to point me in a direction (I'll start with eBay).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2004, 08:42:21 AM »

Well, I got so caught up in the Trojan War that I forgot the TOD!

DRMBarnum,  unless Oscar Levant's playing a piano solo version of "An American In Paris (possible!)," you'll only find it as an orchestra piece.  Maybe Levant was playing the Songbook or other pieces and your memory is lapsing?  I will investigate.

There are so many things I'd like to see surface on disc yet:

Dorothy Provine's two ROARING 20s albums, which used great band charts from the 1920s Warner catalogue.
Joan Morris and William Bolcom:  the current Nonesuch powers don't seem to want these two in print, and BMG is holding on to a few titles as well.
MOZART AFTER HOURS with Maureen Forrester, a Vanguard release
SONGS I TAUGHT MY MOTHER, Charlotte Rae's funny recording, also Vanguard(?)
Cast Albums
MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF
NEW FACES OF 1956, for "April in Fairbanks"
NEW FACES OF 1968, for Madeline Kahn's "Das Chicago Song"
BAKER STREET
CYRANO
IN CIRCLES
Some of those early 1950s abridged recordings (1 per side), like Doretta Morrow doing NAUGHTY MARIETTA, or Felix Knight and Mimi Benzell doing CAN-CAN and KISS ME KATE
The Jane Pickens MUSIC IN THE AIR
REGINA:  New York City Opera
WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? with Uta Hagen
SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL:  Ralph Richardson, Geraldine McEwen, et al.
Soundtracks
THE KING OF HEARTS
INSIDE DAISY CLOVER

Now that Harpercollins owns Caedmon Records, I wish they'd make the catalogue available on CD, especially the following:
MARAT/SADE complete complete Royal Shakespeare production
TARTUFFE:  Stratford Festival
MOTHER GOOSE:  with Celeste Holm. Boris Karloff, and Cyril Ritchard and brilliant musical arrangements by Hershey Kay, it ain't just for kids!
Eudora Welty reads "Why I Live at the P.O." and others

Other Plays:
WAY OF THE WORLD (wasn't this the National Theatre production?)
LOVE FOR LOVE (on RCA) National Theatre with Olivier, Lynn Redgrave, etc.

CLASSICAL:
NUTCRACKER, conducted by Robert Irving and the NYC Ballet Orchestra
THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (Mercury), Antal Dorati and the Minneapolis Orchestra
Two Hershey Kay Ballets for New York City Ballet:
STARS AND STRIPES, conducted by Henry Lewis (Decca)
WESTERN SYMPHONY, conducted by Robert Irving and the NYC Ballet Orchestra

And the list continues . . .        

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2004, 08:42:52 AM »

Hey, here are two totally unrelated laughs for the day.

1.  Did anyone catch that gameshow clip show last week?  I was channel surfing and caught this, which had me giggling all night.  It was a clip from the British version of Family Feud.  Two LOL (that's little old ladies) were the contestants.  The veddy British hosts intones, "Name a slang term for money," at which point LOL #1 (she was 85 if she was a day) rings in and chimes in a very dignified accent "Bitch!".  The host, in robotic fashion, begins to turn around to point to the board, then realizes what the LOL has said, and turns back to her in disbelief.  "What did you say?," he asks incredulously.  "Bitch!" she merrily repeats.  The host, really incredulous now, says, "I asked you for a slang term for money."  "Oh," says the extremely reasonable LOL.  "I thought you said a slang term for Mommy!"

2.  Betsy was driving the kids around the other day when suddenly from the backseat Gabe asked her, "Mom, are you federally mandated?"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 08:48:16 AM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2004, 08:45:22 AM »

Yes to Cyrano, Elmoore!!  (The only OCR of a musical released on my fave label, A&M.  Yes, they did Boys in the Band, but that doesn't count).

And how's about the 1974 Candide with Lewis J. Stadlen?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2004, 08:45:43 AM »

In cast album land, how's about Family Affair, Philemon, Anya (the OCR--we all know of BK's most excellent re-do), and Donnybrook (for starters)?

And all the ones JMK just mentioned, to boot!  Also the Jones Beach SONG OF NORWAY (Columbia), the John Reardon-Lisa Della Casa MERRY WIDOW (Columbia) and some of the Lincoln Center cast albums for RCA:  MERRY WIDOW (Patrice Munsel), THE KING AND I (Darren McGavin and Rise Stevens).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2004, 08:47:45 AM »

JMK: Try Footlight in NY, or eBay.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2004, 08:48:59 AM »

The unintentional laugh in TROY last night:

Menelaos asked where Helen was and the shepherd/slave/whatever answered "she left with the Trojans."  Suddenly, I had this image  of Helen stuffing a bag with condoms.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2004, 08:49:02 AM »

Good Morning!

As for LPs... I think most of the ones I had have made it to CD.  However, I do know that I have LPs of the OCRs (or at least Original Studio Recordings) of Matador and Nefertiti (which just got revived and revised in Chicago) - which I'm not sure I want on CD.  I just remember listening to the Matador recording with my friend, Mark, and we'd start singing the corresponding lyrics from the corresponding songs... from Evita!  HA!  Someone stealing for a stealer!  The waltz numbers are almost dead on!

But I do wish I could get my LP of Working back someday.

And there are just some LPs I liked because of the artwork and the booklets - especially the Sondheim shows: Sunday In the Park with George, Sweeney Todd and Merrily We Roll Along.

DR MBarnum - I believe all of those Oscar Levant reordings were released a couple of years ago.  I was on a big time Gershwin kick for a while - and I know I have at least 20 recordings of "Rhapsody in Blue" in my library.  But there was a company that released a bunch of the Levant recordings in various compilations.  I'm not sure if they're still in print, but you may want to do a search.  -And I'll check my own library when I get back to Richmond Sunday night.

OK - Time to for me get organized for the matinee.  Let's hope the A/C is working properly today.  We're expecting thunder storms today, and if the humidity goes up outside, it most definitely goes up inside.  Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

Quote from: François de Paris on Yesterday at 08:20:19pm
It's 5:20 am here and I have 3 guests from the UK, completely loaded!, who ask me, after saying "good evening!! (well, the drinks don't help, I know!) where can they find a place to eat!

At 5:20 am!!
We're no palace here, with room service at all times!

Hmmmm....I guess I can blame Hollywood, but I always thought there were places on the Left Bank were folks could find French onion soup in the wee hours of any morning.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2004, 08:55:32 AM »

But I do wish I could get my LP of Working back someday.

JSP, you do know of the CD, don't you?  "Those were the days, my friend, we thought--"  Oh, never mind.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 08:56:03 AM by JMK »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2004, 08:56:14 AM »

Jose: Working is on CD - I released it on the you-know-what label (sorry Merry Searchers).

JMK

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2004, 08:57:30 AM »

Jinx.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2004, 08:57:52 AM »

And/or Falkenberg.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2004, 09:01:07 AM »

Before I start my busy days, here are a few LPs I'd love on CD:

All Capitol and most Decca and Columbia OCRs have been released (although Benjamin Kritzer and I are waiting for A THURBER CARNIVAL), but so many RCAs have never made it... HAZEL FLAGG, MAKE A WISH, NEW FACES OF 56, SEVENTEEN, just to start.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2004, 09:03:32 AM »

Re:  A Thurber Carnival.  I was just yesterday talking about the classic Thurber cartoon of the two fencers (we had a birthday party yesterday at a fencing academy, where all the kids got to indulge in a little swordplay).  In the cartoon, a fencer has just sliced off his opponent's head and is saying, "Touche!"

JMK

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2004, 09:05:55 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Panni

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2004, 09:18:15 AM »

I just looked through my records - all 6 of them - and I see a two-record Seraphim set which must be left over from my days of getting presents from New England. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to what I've got here: The Art of Lotte Lehmann: Opera and Song Recordings 1916-33
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 09:18:59 AM by Panni »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2004, 09:29:34 AM »

DR Panni, Seraphim was EMI's budget label for a long time, and I often felt their quality much lower than the original pressings.  Lotte Lehmann was one of the great German sopranos, probably most famous for the Marschallin in DER ROSENKAVALIER.  My guess is that you've got a budget label rerelease of a number of 78 rpm singles that she did for EMI between those years.  I'm sure a lot of it is glorious, but a lot may now be on CD with better sound.

Panni

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2004, 09:36:56 AM »

Thank you for the info, elmore!

On a less musical note -- would someone please tell me why we need yet another remake of HELTER SKELTER?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2004, 09:39:30 AM »

On a less musical note -- would someone please tell me why we need yet another remake of HELTER SKELTER?

To quote OH BROTHER!:  We love a good story!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2004, 09:45:34 AM »

DE (Dear Esteemed) BK, and DR JMK et al.. and frank... and bruno... Yes, I do know that WORKING is on CD...  And I have it too!  However, I would really just love to have my LP back.  The LP of the show was one of the first OCRs I remember listening to at the Arlington County Public Library many, many, many years ago.  And I also remember the notes on the back cover.  If I remember correctly, I think I was simply agog (ah, a MUSIC MAN reference) when I saw the word "shit" on there!?!?!?  For a good, Catholic school boy...  -Hmm.. since I am staying just a block away from that library... maybe a little nostalgia strip is in order, so...

Yes, I have the CD, but the LP would be nice too.  For sentimental reasons.

-Hmm.. with all this talk of HELTER SKELTER, maybe I need to dig out that disc of that Charles Manson musical/opera I bought years ago - and haven't listened to since... Hmm...

Ciao for niao!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2004, 10:11:29 AM »

On location report from bk: I seem to be twenty years younger than the youngest person here. All looking at me as if I were a kid.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 10:18:12 AM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2004, 10:41:53 AM »

Even thought I write the notes before midnight, I pretend that I'm writing them in the morning.  Isn't that marvy.
Either that, or she's extremely thorough.  Which would be marvy, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »

For some reason I missed a whole group of posts on Page One, including Elmore's fascinating post about the problematic chronology of Greek myths (among other things).
My theory, for what it's worth, is that time is something we mere mortals have invented to keep us from being late to the dentist. The gods (and goddesses) had no such problem.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »

I really have nothing to add to the topic o' the day because I don't have any LPs. So I'll just say this: They still haven't posted my grades.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2004, 11:05:18 AM »

When I read that the mythological aspects of the Trojan War were being jettisoned for TROY, I knew I would have NO interest in the film, despite the luscious Eric Bana as Hector. After reading many of the other liberties they took with the story, I KNOW I made the right decision for myself.

BTW, obviously I'm back from helping my friend remove the contents of his storage unit, so I have the rest of the day to relax and watch movies, etc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up