Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME 2011!  (Read 15678 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WELCOME 2011!
« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »

Jose, congrats on the gig. I can fit into one of those "A Night at the Opera" trunks if you could find someone to wheel it aboard ship. Just volunteering. You think about it awhile.

Thanks, John G. -If you and your trunk can get to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal by 2:30 on Monday afternoon... I'll just print out another luggage tag.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

Jose, congrats on your gig. I've always wanted to take a cruise. It seems so much more civilized than flying nowadays.

Thanks, Ben. And, yes, cruising is quite civilized. ;)

Wait... Um...

Nevermind.

;)

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »

I went to Gelson's and got the few ingredients I needed for the wacky noodles, which I'm now whipping up.  I don't really think more than five people are coming over - normally I make a pound of noodles, and I think that's probably enough for five, yes?  Or should I make two pounds?  Can't really "save" leftovers.

A pound of pasta is good for four to five sensible portions.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »

Congrats, Jose!  Hope you have a great trip!

Thank You, George. -And I hope I have a great trip too. With five full days at sea, I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time poolside on the Lido deck. -That is if the QM2 has a Lido deck. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »

DR Laura - That's a beautiful pictures of the bald eagles.  -Just how far were you from them?  And just how much did you have to zoom in on them?  Even with some zooming, it looks like you were relatively close to them.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »

And now that I've caught up with all the posts, I must leave.  A couple of friends and I are going to see "The King's Speech."  I've heard that it's very good.

It is. It really is.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »

I have done absolutely nothing today but finish a book I was a bit disappointed with.  I have many things I must do tomorrow and I think I'm finally rested enough to actually do them

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

Thanks for the tip, DR Jose! I'll look it up on Amazon.com and make a decision.

I think I'll make another pass at Gaskell's WIVES & DAUGHTERS again tonight.

You're welcome, DR elmore.

-One funny thing that we've noticed about the reviews is that none of them mention Janacek's The Makropoulos Case.  -I guess they're all hung up on the use of Tristan und Isolde in the book. Or maybe The Makropoulos Case is still a bit of a rarity? ???
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:38:12 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »

Heads-up for those with new e-readers:  Richard and I have experienced this phenomenon, both together and separately.  Whenever we're using our Kindles in public, someone always wants to talk to us about them.  I suspect that will subside as more and more people get them, but for now there are a lot of questions.

I've also noticed that phenomenon.  In fact, I believe I've even witnessed happening to your DH Richard. ;)

Strangely enough, I don't see that happening with iPads.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »

As for the recently broadcast Kennedy Center Honors...

-I finally watched the Jerry Herman tribute online... I almost dozed off again... But is it possible to fall asleep from shock? ::)

-And, I believe, THIS was the best part of the tribute. :)

I actually liked the Jerry Herman tribute. IT was my favorite part of the show.

DR Jennifer - Well, I guess I was exaggerating just a bit. However, I did find it over-choreographed and over-edited.  But it was nice to see some of Broadway's best male dancers providing the "background" - including Spencer Liff who choreographed a few routines for "SYTYCD" (and has also been in some Rob Ashford productions).

I did find it a little strange(?) that they didn't identify the children's chorus, nor the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington.  All of the "acts" are specifically chosen to "identify" with each of the honorees.

Oh!

bk - From what I understand, what you saw on the broadcast was what was presented on the stage of the Kennedy Center Opera House.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »

That is such exciting news DR Jose!

DR Jennifer - It is exciting, however, right now, I'm just looking forward to completing my first day of coachings and masterclasses... And then I can, hopefully, breathe a sigh of relief.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »

Is everything closed today in the US like it is here?

Nope. But a lot of places opened late and closed earlier. -Almost like it was a Sunday. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »

Welcome home vibes for DR JOSE and DR RLP.

And I too am very excited about DR JOSE's new gig!

Thank You, DR JRand. And Thank You.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »

And now that I've caught up with all the posts, I must leave.  A couple of friends and I are going to see "The King's Speech."  I've heard that it's very good.

It is. It really is.

Yes, it is...very, very good.  It really affected my friend Margo.  Her older brother has been a stutterer since he was about four or five years old, so it brought up a LOT of memories and feelings for her.  After the movie, she said that his wife Mary was very much like Elizabeth in regards to the unconditional love and not caring about him stuttering.  She LOVED the movie. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »

After the movie, we went to a local El Sarape and had some fairly good food.  I am stuffed.  Now I'm home and have watched my "Up" DVD on my new (to me) Blu-Ray player (I'd actually never seen the movie before).  It looks really good, even though it's a standard DVD. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »

Well, that didn't work

I think that the problem with trying to hotlink from Facebook is that Facebook's links don't include the .jpg file extensions, so it's not a true image location.

George

« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »

In this case, it looks like you linked to the search result and you need to get to the individual image:

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #287 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »

Just watched the Jerry Herman tribute online.  What was up with those guy dancers?  Such bad choices.  Who was sitting next to Jerry?  He looked a lot like Stephen Sondheim.  I especially liked the addition of the hat part way during the tribute.  It would be awfully ironic if it was SS.  Some of the solos were good, Chita was not.  The choreography was horrid, as was reported here on several occasions.  Just totally wrong for what was going on.  I love all of Jerry Herman, even the not-so-good things. 

MBarnum

« Reply #288 on: January 01, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »

In my effort to cram as many movies into the first day of 2011, I have no finished watching TOKYO AFTER DARK, which was much better then I had expected....and YOUNG CAPTIVES which was just as much fun as I had expected (my interviewee Steven Marlo stars in it as a psychopath who takes a young couple hostage).

Maybe I will watch another movie....and maybe not.

MBarnum

« Reply #289 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »

I joined the YMCA today. It is only 4 blocks from my apartment and I can hit it on my way home from work, easily. Plus their rates went way, way down and they waived the sign up fee. What's not to like.

MBarnum

« Reply #290 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

You know, I have not looked at Facebook since before Christmas. I think I shall take a looksee and see what I have been missing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »

Finished with my viewing and shall shortly write some notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »

Just watched the Jerry Herman tribute online.  What was up with those guy dancers?  Such bad choices.  Who was sitting next to Jerry?  He looked a lot like Stephen Sondheim.  I especially liked the addition of the hat part way during the tribute.  It would be awfully ironic if it was SS.  Some of the solos were good, Chita was not.  The choreography was horrid, as was reported here on several occasions.  Just totally wrong for what was going on.  I love all of Jerry Herman, even the not-so-good things. 

That was not Stephen Sondheim. I believe that was Jerry Herman's partner, Terry Marler.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

I joined the YMCA today. It is only 4 blocks from my apartment and I can hit it on my way home from work, easily. Plus their rates went way, way down and they waived the sign up fee. What's not to like.

You do know there's much more to the YMCA than just the locker room, don't you DR MBarnum?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »

Walked downtown today to have lunch and was quite surpised to find that almost every restaurant was closed! On a Saturday!!

So, didn't have lunch at India Palace as I had planned (I had even toted along my latest issue of Filmfare to read whilst eating), but found Golden Crown (the Chinese place next to J C Penney) was open and ate there instead...had lots of leftovers, which I ate for dinner.

Well... The Indian place I went to for dinner tonight was open. As were the two "special interest" establishments I went to after dinner. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »

Wasn't Merle Haggard sitting next to Jerry?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »

And now...

Since I have quite a busy Sunday planned for me - listening, reading, practicing and packing - I really should get to bed.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »

Oh, yes, Merle Haggard was sitting next to Jerry Herman. But I don't think Merle Haggard looks like Stephen Sondheim.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »

Just did an image search on Merle Haggard - that totally could have been him.  After all, he was wearing a ribbon, why would Jerry's partner have a ribbon??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »

It would be unseemly not to make 300 postings - I'd say that's a helluva way to kick off 2011!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up