Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASTRAMI LIFE  (Read 16196 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE PASTRAMI LIFE
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA is one of my all-time favorite movies.

There seems to be an on-going debate about the ending.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Is the bulk of the movie meant to be a drug-induced dream?

Or, is that final shot of DeNiro in the opium den supposed to be his memory of a happier time?

What do you think?

Also One Of My Favorite Movies

I Vote For Memories Of Happier Times.

What Do You Think Druxy?

Ditto!
I agree. And it is great. I saw the butchered version at the movie theater and enjoyed it, but I was so glad when the full-length picture was eventually given to us.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

I finally, after several attempts, managed to finish the most fascinating doc on Dali and Disney included on the Fantasia BD.  I swear there was something encoded in that video that put me instantly to sleep.  It took me days to get to the final credits.  :)

What a great idea!  Why don't we open the Dali Deli?  Or did someone already beat me to the punch>
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »

And the word of the day is: LICKERISH!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  MORE I CANNOT WISH YOU

(And A SHEEP'S EYE too)

Yes!  My song.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »

It has been a long day and it's far from over. I helped a friend with a really bad knee get to a doctor's appointment. She went in for knee replacement surgery a few years back. They botched the operation and she came down with a hideous staff infection. Twenty-seven surgeries later (you read that right), she has been OK, if not anywhere near normal. Today at the doctor's office, she learned that the infection may have returned. Judy's really scared that they many have to amputate.

We left the doctor's office and I made her try to forget it. We stopped at a roadside BBQ truck for some pulled pork slicers, then went to a pasta place where she had a spaghetti and meatballs (the comfort food she was craving) while I had an excellent Reuben in honor of today's TOD. Afterwards, we went to a third place for cake and pie and more forgetfulness.

Judy could use a few more vibes and prayers. I'm taking her an expert on Thursday for the next round of guess work on what to do.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

Vibes and prayers for DR John G's friend Judy!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

I can see it snowing about 50 miles off toward the east, on the edge of the Columbia Gorge.  Here, nothing.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

Oh dear! You are a good friend, John G. Vibes and prayers to Judy.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones for Judy.

JMK

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »

Does anyone else find it just the slightest bid odd (but very telling about our society) that the Loughner's neighbor had lived across the street from them since 1972 and yet didn't know their last name?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »

I had some bacon and eggs.  I've written eight pages so far and will now write two more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »

Meanwhile, where in tarnation IS everyone.  Is this a holiday of some sort?

JMK

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »

It has been a long day and it's far from over. I helped a friend with a really bad knee get to a doctor's appointment. She went in for knee replacement surgery a few years back. They botched the operation and she came down with a hideous staff infection. Twenty-seven surgeries later (you read that right), she has been OK, if not anywhere near normal. Today at the doctor's office, she learned that the infection may have returned. Judy's really scared that they many have to amputate.

We left the doctor's office and I made her try to forget it. We stopped at a roadside BBQ truck for some pulled pork slicers, then went to a pasta place where she had a spaghetti and meatballs (the comfort food she was craving) while I had an excellent Reuben in honor of today's TOD. Afterwards, we went to a third place for cake and pie and more forgetfulness.

Judy could use a few more vibes and prayers. I'm taking her an expert on Thursday for the next round of guess work on what to do.

Staph infections are horrible.  My own sister nearly died from one, which she contracted at a hospital.

John G.

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

Does anyone else find it just the slightest bid odd (but very telling about our society) that the Loughner's neighbor had lived across the street from them since 1972 and yet didn't know their last name?
I don't know my neighbors' names (most of them) and I've lived here for 11 years.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

And I find it OK not to know their names. I don't have kids, which most of them do. I don't speak Spanish, which is commonly heard. But I do know that they pay attention to the neighborhood, which is nice. They watch my house when I'm gone. And I'm pleasant to them. We all wave, but it's not a deep friendship. No one has come looking for a cup of sugar and I haven't gone looking to borrow anything from them.

― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »

:o

~~~Super Infection-Be-Gone Vibes for Judy!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »

I've been here 30 years, and I don't know most of my neighbors. Except the Goldstein Family.

Danise

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »

Hi all!

I agree with DR George and his Super Infection-Be-Gone Vibes for Judy.   How horrible to have something like that happen to you in this so called modern world where they can give you (male or female) a butt implant for someone who doesn't need a butt implant but can screw up something that is a basic need like a knee.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:44:50 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Laura

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »

I knew them all after I moved in, but as those folks moved out, I didn't meet the new ones who moved in.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

* * * * * HEALTHY KNEE JOINT VIBES FOR DR JOHN G.'s FRIEND JUDY * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »

I've been here 30 years, and I don't know most of my neighbors. Except the Goldstein Family.

That's the same with me.  I only know the lady on my west side, Donna, the people across the street and sorta know the people to the east side of me.  They speak spanish and I don't think they understand half of what I try to talk to them about when I see them in the yard.  Then again, may be they do understand me .......

In fact, I went to all of the people I saw out and about tonight because one of the ladies I work with (who lives right around the block from me) told me that they had a man banging on their door last night, asking for money.

They didn't answer him.

This morning, they discovered their car had been broken into and things were missing.

I let everyone I saw know about it in case the guy or guys are still around.  I will NOT open my front door and keep it locked at all times.   Well, not all times, like when I'm bringing groceries or the laundry in but you get the jest.

I also locked Bonny and hope all will be well.  I think the dogs would scare anyone away.  If they yell they need money, I'll just yell I need dog food and they aren't picky!  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:47:31 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 04:48:22 PM »

I really only know my neighbors on either side of my house and the two houses across the street.  No one lives in the one house behind me and in the other house behind mine is a family that seems intent on keeping to themselves. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

I remember the director of one of the plays I did many moons ago saying that there as two things that killed neighbors being friendly with each other--AC and TV.   It used to be that most houses had a nice porch so people went out side after dinner to cool off.  They could see and talk with the folks who were either on their porch next door or walking up and down the street.

I guess that's kinda what the HHW board really is.  Neighbors talking with each other except across the country instead of the street.

Howdy, neighbor!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »

From Cilla:
I drive.  There are many times I need to drive to jails etc and need a car during the day

I thought you mentioned you might need to take the bus if there was too much snow.  I'm glad you could drive.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »

Extra vibes to Ginny. :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »

Not necessarily. 

Jane

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

JMK I have never seen Gretchen Corbett out & about in Portland. ;)

I believe the link I shared mentioned what she is doing in Portland.

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »

From Cilla:
I drive.  There are many times I need to drive to jails etc and need a car during the day

I thought you mentioned you might need to take the bus if there was too much snow.  I'm glad you could drive.

You asked if I usually drive or take the bus.  Usually I drive, but i've always known that if I absolutely had to get downtown and the busses are running I can take a bus if I'm not comfortable driving. 

Danise

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

Speaking of cool off--I am VERY happy I had the heat repaired.  We are going down into the 30's overnight and the high will be the mid fifty range for the next 2 days.   YIKES!

Then it will warm up only to have yet another cool front coming through next week.  I just wish it would make up it's mind.  If it's going to be cold, so be it.  If it's going to warm up, great!  But this back and forth within the space of a few days is driving me crazy!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »

Can you guess my birth year?

Fiction 1 THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY Irving Stone  author info
Fiction 2 TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Harper Lee  author info
Fiction 3 MILA 18 Leon Uris  author info
Fiction 4 THE EDGE OF SADNESS Edwin O'Connor  author info
Fiction 5 THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT John Steinbeck  author info
Fiction 6 TROPIC OF CANCER Henry Miller  author info
Fiction 7 THE CARPETBAGGERS Harold Robbins  author info
Fiction 8 THE LAST OF THE JUST Andre Schwarz-Bart  author info
Fiction 9 A BURNT-OUT CASE Graham Greene  author info
Fiction 10 HAWAII James Michener

Non-Fiction 1 THE RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH William L. Shirer  author info
Non-Fiction 2 A NATION OF SHEEP William J. Lederer  author info
Non-Fiction 4 RING OF BRIGHT WATER Gavin Maxwell  author info
Non-Fiction 5 RUSSIA AND THE WEST UNDER LENIN AND STALIN George F. Kennan  author info
Non-Fiction 6 MY THIRTY YEARS BACKSTAIRS AT THE WHITE HOUSE Lilian Rogers 6 MY THIRTY YEARS BACKSTAIRS AT THE WHITE HOUSE, Lilian Rogers Parks  author info
Non-Fiction 7 MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, Gayelord Hauser  author info
Non-Fiction 8 FIRSTHAND REPORT Sherman Adams  author info
Non-Fiction 9 SKETCHES FROM LIFE Dean Acheson  author info
Non-Fiction 10 FATE IS THE HUNTER Ernest K. Gann  author info
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up