Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SQUASH  (Read 11978 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: SQUASH
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »

And Miss Franklin should not have to disclose her health ailments if she chooses not to.

So true.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »

So...

Aretha Franklin does not have cancer. And, apparently, never did. Hmmm... ???
Well, that's better than having it. I'm sure she's relieved. And in need of qualified doctors.

Having lived near her in Michigan the area is filled with top notch doctors.  Of course there are also plenty of the other kind.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »

Last night DR Jane wrote:
Almost every visit my hairdresser asks if I want hairspray.  I always say no.  There was a time I wouldn't permit any product aside from shampoo & conditioner on my hair.  Now there are lots of styling products that don't bother my allergies & make my hair feel good, not sticky.

Jennifer thanks for the reminder not to use hair spray.

I use hairspray all the time.

Since I am very sensitive to scents I am always very careful. I would obviously never spray perfume on myself. And if I try a new hand cream I smell it carefully first (I am usually good for things that are chocolate, mint, fruit...).

I always try on make-up and handcreams at Sephora. And since my hair was unstyled I went for the hairspray. I did even smell it after one spray and I didn't smell anything. But OMG I really thought I was going to die. I couldn't believe it. My head just immediately hurt a lot. :(

I've had those sudden onsets of headaches from scents.  They are not fun & of course they always happen in public.   

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »

We had this young couple over to the house for dinner last night.  He's a distant cousin and she's his g.f., 22-years old and a college student.

Maybe it's me.  I have no idea.  But, over the course of the evening, names like Orson Welles, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, John Dillinger, Al Capone, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Joe Biden, John Lennon and Charlie Chaplin (whose picture was on the wall) came up, and she had absolutely no idea who were were talking about.

:'(

Seems your cousin has himself a young bimbo.  I can understand her not knowing the actors, but Biden & Lennon-lol.  They are in the news far to often.
In 1991, I started work at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune as a copy editor. I had a desk near a woman about my age (then late 20s), who literally had no idea who the Beatles were. She wanted an explanation in a story because they were referenced and she was lost.

She was not allowed to add anything because the rest of the copy desk wanted to rise up and strike her. Calmer heads prevailed and she escaped uninjured. Physically. She was scorned for years after that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

How interesting that "Atlas Shrugged" is announced for high-profile women stars....when it's John Galt who is central and should be of -- IMO -- the greatest interest to any and every one.

I suppose so but it is the female lead who ties the story together, and she had better be darn believable as someone men should fall in love with & be worthy of John Galt.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »

Almost every visit my hairdresser asks if I want hairspray.  I always say no.  There was a time I wouldn't permit any product aside from shampoo & conditioner on my hair.  Now there are lots of styling products that don't bother my allergies & make my hair feel good, not sticky.

Since I am very sensitive to scents I am always very careful. I would obviously never spray perfume on myself. And if I try a new hand cream I smell it carefully first (I am usually good for things that are chocolate, mint, fruit...).

I always try on make-up and handcreams at Sephora. And since my hair was unstyled I went for the hairspray. I did even smell it after one spray and I didn't smell anything. But OMG I really thought I was going to die. I couldn't believe it. My head just immediately hurt a lot. :(

I've had those sudden onsets of headaches from scents.  They are not fun & of course they always happen in public.  

In related news...

A few months ago, Steve found out that he was not allergic to certain scents and oils in lotions, soaps and shampoos.  However, he did find out that he was allergic to a preservative that is used in a lot of lotions, soaps and shampoos - including some meant for "sensitive skin".  And after some research - a.k.a. Google-ing - he found out that it's quite a common allergy, and, alas, it's one that gets un- or mis-diagnosed.

It may be worth investigating.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »

The funniest weather report I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1Im1xbjWQ

That's great. I'm still laughing.

I sent it to my friend in So. California who was boasting (not really) of the warm weather there. ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

As for yesterday's Topic of the Day...

I'm still waiting for "The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier & Clay"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:12 AM »

So...

Aretha Franklin does not have cancer. And, apparently, never did. Hmmm... ???

Not that I'm following the story closely, however, I don't believe she ever said she had cancer.  I thought only certain news writers were reporting she had, or possibly, had cancer.

It is quite an interesting situation. I'm guessing all of those reporters are now going back to see which "doctor" and/or "close personal friend" confirmed the news back then.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »

OK...

After a nice leisurely morning, I believe I'm going to brave the cold and slush and head out for a bit to take care of some errands, as well get some fresh air.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »

In related news...

A few months ago, Steve found out that he was not allergic to certain scents and oils in lotions, soaps and shampoos.  However, he did find out that he was allergic to a preservative that is used in a lot of lotions, soaps and shampoos - including some meant for "sensitive skin".  And after some research - a.k.a. Google-ing - he found out that it's quite a common allergy, and, alas, it's one that gets un- or mis-diagnosed.

Interesting though the outcome is the same..  Are you saying he only needs to smell them to get sick?  I would expect they need to be used on the skin to cause a reaction.   

With a severe headache reaction you don't need to come in physical contact with the product, only smell it.

I know I am sensitive to many preservatives in eye products so I'm sure they could be bothersome in other products.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »

Re:  Lennon.  Just reviewed the excellent doc LENNONYC--highly recommended.

This was wonderful!  I saw it before Christmas on PBS's American Masters and then bought the DVD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »

My friend thought the weather forecast was hysterical. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »

Oh no poor Joshie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »

I've never had any reaction to any shampoos or make-up. Usually it is just perfume.  I have tried some hand lotions that bothered me enough  that i would not use them. But I never got a headache from one.

I have never had a reaction to hairspray before. Btw i think the brand was Living Proof.

Interestingly when I smell hand creams, the ones that don't bother me at all are always things like milk, strawberry, banana, chocolate, vanilla, mint, candy ...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »

In related news...

Oh, it's definitely a contact allergy situation, but he found that some aerosol'd products also contain preservatives, and if those get inhaled, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »

DR Jane, I thoroughly enjoyed LABYRINTH.  I think because it had to do with The Grail Legend(s).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »

I have been up since nine-thirty and inundated with stuff I'd really not rather be dealing with.  I did some futzing and fixing and have managed to write a whole half page because every two seconds I am interrupted by people.  Like just now.  Singers are coming by, our rehearsal schedule for next week is now turning difficult thanks to Tuesday being Juliana's birthday and her being out of town that day - she, of course, thinks it's simple for her to come on Monday or Wednesday, but that requires the MD to come as well, and she's doing two duets so that screws up her singing partner's rehearsal.  And I will not allow only one rehearsal - that's what happened on the first two Gardenia shows and it totally does not work.  We'll see how it all plays out.

Best news is that not only will Richard Sherman be at the show, but he's now our special guest star and will be singing Feed The Birds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »

Wow!  This is excellent news.  Hopefully I will win the Powerball this week.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

DR RLP is right....DR JMK is right.....and of course DR JANE is right, too.  RE: John Galt/Atlas Shrugged

Of course NBC could do the show with the cast of 30 ROCK or THE OFFICE......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »

TCM has several episodes of Screen Director's Playhouse tonight starting at 8 p.m. EST......a television series produced at the Hal Roach Studios......looks interesting.

I have written two pages today....getting started.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »

How interesting that "Atlas Shrugged" is announced for high-profile women stars....when it's John Galt who is central and should be of -- IMO -- the greatest interest to any and every one.

I suppose so but it is the female lead who ties the story together, and she had better be darn believable as someone men should fall in love with & be worthy of John Galt.

All too often, they don't cast men who meet this qualification.

"Who is John Galt?" is one of the seminal literary catch phrases of the last 50 years.

If it was me, I'd start by finding a John Galt.  He will make or break the film (if the screenplay serves the novel correctly).  Of course, the casting of Dagny Taggart and Hank Reardon is most crucial. and their involvement/love story will be the heart of the film.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:25:29 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

Does anyone drink Oranqe Squash any more?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings from St. Augustine, FL, America's oldest city!  We checked out of our hotel and put our luggage in the car, which was parked in the hotel garage and where we could remain parked.  We explored some of Savannah's River Street - I did some shopping, but, alas DR Jose, the Candy Kitchen was closed for remodeling.  And, drat, I had a 15% off coupon!

We returned to the car about noon and headed south, making a lunch stop and a stop at the Jacksonville Apple Store for a new power cord for Richard's computer.  I tried to log on here from the Apple Store, but the site was blocked on their computers.  We got to our hotel about 45 minutes ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »

I've never had any reaction to any shampoos or make-up. Usually it is just perfume.  I have tried some hand lotions that bothered me enough  that i would not use them. But I never got a headache from one.

I have never had a reaction to hairspray before. Btw i think the brand was Living Proof.

Interestingly when I smell hand creams, the ones that don't bother me at all are always things like milk, strawberry, banana, chocolate, vanilla, mint, candy ...

Vanilla or cinnamon are scents I tend to prefer.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

In related news...

Oh, it's definitely a contact allergy situation, but he found that some aerosol'd products also contain preservatives, and if those get inhaled, well...

Inhaling can be worse than contact sometimes.  Parmesan cheese was a difficult food for me to avoid, especially at restaurants where they grate it fresh at the table.  Over the years I have developed a tolerance to it & can now eat it most of the time without a severe reaction.  If I breathe it I will have trouble breathing.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »

DR RLP is right....DR JMK is right.....and of course DR JANE is right, too.  RE: John Galt/Atlas Shrugged

;D

Jane

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

All too often, they don't cast men who meet this qualification.

"Who is John Galt?" is one of the seminal literary catch phrases of the last 50 years.

If it was me, I'd start by finding a John Galt.  He will make or break the film (if the screenplay serves the novel correctly). 

True, he has to be far better than the other guys who mustn't be slouches. :)

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

OK, we've moved rooms because the air conditioner in our first one would have kept us awake all night.  This one is much quieter.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

DR Jane, I thoroughly enjoyed LABYRINTH.  I think because it had to do with The Grail Legend(s).

Thank you for your feedback.  I'm very surprised you didn't have anything to say regarding WOLF HALL. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up