Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WACKY DAY  (Read 8731 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THE WACKY DAY
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »

I never intended to see all teh movies nominated for the Academy Awards this year, but...  well today I watched Toy Story 3 - and cried (oh good grief) and went to 127 Hours.  That was an experience I don't care to ever live through again.  I knew what was going to happen, but watching it was not pleasant.

Tonight I'll watch Inception, then I only have The Social Network.  I have cleared my Netflix queue of everything but The Social Network and put TS3 in the mailbox at the same post office it's addressed to.  I'm hoping since Social Network is released on Tuesday I'll get it and not end up on a waiting list

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »

I understand the nominations for 127 hours, but it wasn't one of my favorites.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »

What a shame about Mary - a class act. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

There are a few nominations in the acting categories that I can't see because they aren't on DVD and aren't playing anywhere near here.  So, I'm getting very close to seeing all I possibly can. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Back from the book fair, which was really fun, actually.  I found a couple of interesting things and saw lots of friends.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »

They have an Oscar Night party at the movie theater. It's a charity event, but I think I like watching them here better

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

Sad news about Mary - condolences to those who love her.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

Yes, sad news about Mary.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »

If I removed my NetFlix queue I wouldn't remember what was on it.  We have two unwatched DVD's we can watch & mail back on Monday & maybe we will get lucky & Social Network will be mailed to us on Tuesday.

What is TS3?

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »

Toy Story 3.  I wrote it out earlier in the same post lol

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »

Good Evening!

Very sad to hear about the passing of Mary Cleere Haran.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

Well...

I finished with my auditions around 3:30, then took my annual walk to The Cupboard for my "meat and three". Today's selections: Country Fried Steak, Italian Spinach, Corn Pudding, Spiced Beets. -No sweet tea this time, nor any cobbler for dessert. However, I believe a slice of Chocolate Fudge Pie may be in my future later tonight. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »

And now...

I'm back at the hotel, and I think I'm going to take a brief nap before I start my callbacks. Thankfully(?), they shouldn't run until midnight like they did last night.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »

Toy Story 3.  I wrote it out earlier in the same post lol

;D

Laura

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »

Very sad about Mary.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »

Most interesting book I got today was something I've been searching for for over twenty years - the original novel on which the film Woman in the Window is based - one of my all-time favorite movies - the novel is called Once Off Guard.  Up until about six months ago I'd never even seen the book - literally no copies ever came up for sale.  Then six months ago a copy showed up on eBay but it was pretty junky and barely holding itself together.  Today, a nice dealer had it - not a great copy by any means, but the dust jacket is complete and the book is in pretty good condition - and it's mine.  Certainly the price was right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »

Best book today was done in a trade - I got the book of Cole Porter lyrics (the old book) signed by Mr. Porter to gossip columnist Mike Connolly.  Finding a Cole Porter signed thing is really hard so I'm happy to have this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »

Best book at the fair period was a copy of Sinclair Lewis' Elmer Gantry.  For whatever reasons, this book, given its classic status, has never gone for very much money.  One could always get an okay copy for around five hundred bucks or so, and much nicer ones for a thousand up to about twenty-five hundred.  The dust jacket is fragile and rarely seen in collector condition.  Well, this dealer I know named Peter Stern had a copy - I looked at it and couldn't believe my eyes - it literally looks like the book has never touched human hands, as if it just came out of a time machine (rather like the books in my short story called The Book Scout).  As new wouldn't even describe how pristine this book was - the back of the jacket is white, and this copy is WHITE, rather than the usual yellowed and smudged thing you usually seen.  There was not a mark, not a blemish on the book anywhere.  His price?  15K.  That's about quadruple what any normal person would pay for the book, but then again, I'd bet that this is a one-of-a-kind copy the likes of which will never be seen again.  If I was a millionaire I would have bought it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »

Meeting for dinner at Don Cuco's in Glendale at five-thirty, which will get me home in time to watch a motion picture.

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »

Reading about BK proofing, it reminded me of a type of error I keep finding in books.  Obviously traditional typos are minimized because of spellcheck. But I keep finding words that are similar to other words (the book I'm reading now has feet instead of feel).  I guess it must be hard to find errors. But as someone who reads a lot this drives me crazy.

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »

I don't think i've ever broken any body parts.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

Most interesting book I got today was something I've been searching for for over twenty years - the original novel on which the film Woman in the Window is based - one of my all-time favorite movies - the novel is called Once Off Guard.  Up until about six months ago I'd never even seen the book - literally no copies ever came up for sale.  Then six months ago a copy showed up on eBay but it was pretty junky and barely holding itself together.  Today, a nice dealer had it - not a great copy by any means, but the dust jacket is complete and the book is in pretty good condition - and it's mine.  Certainly the price was right.

Congratulations on your special find!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »

I just watched THE GOOD FAIRY (1935) with Magaret Sullavan. I wanted to like it more than I did. I did like some of the cast; Frank Morgan got to be a bit much for me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »

Condolences to Mary Cleere Haran's family and friends

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »

Might of missed this here but...

Cabaret singer Mary Cleere Haran was severly injured in an accident Thursday in nearby Deerfield Beach. She was riding her bicycle when it happen.

BK recorded a couple of cds with her

I love he-- I hope she's Ok.

Sad to report that Mary Cleere Haran passed away today. She had been on life support. I have not been able to find ot any more information in the local newspapers.

I am very sorry to hear that.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »

Best book at the fair period was a copy of Sinclair Lewis' Elmer Gantry.  For whatever reasons, this book, given its classic status, has never gone for very much money.  One could always get an okay copy for around five hundred bucks or so, and much nicer ones for a thousand up to about twenty-five hundred.  The dust jacket is fragile and rarely seen in collector condition.  Well, this dealer I know named Peter Stern had a copy - I looked at it and couldn't believe my eyes - it literally looks like the book has never touched human hands, as if it just came out of a time machine (rather like the books in my short story called The Book Scout).  As new wouldn't even describe how pristine this book was - the back of the jacket is white, and this copy is WHITE, rather than the usual yellowed and smudged thing you usually seen.  There was not a mark, not a blemish on the book anywhere.  His price?  15K.  That's about quadruple what any normal person would pay for the book, but then again, I'd bet that this is a one-of-a-kind copy the likes of which will never be seen again.  If I was a millionaire I would have bought it.

If I win the Lotto tonight, BK, I will give you the money for the book.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »

Vibes TCB wins the lottery!!!!

Jane

« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »

We have decided to return THE AMERICAN without watching it.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »

'night

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »

One more.
“One thing’s universal,