Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEEPING BEAUTY  (Read 10838 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SLEEPING BEAUTY
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »

Did Christina Aguilera actually sing "At the twilight's last reaming" last night before th Super Bowl?  Sure sounded like it!

A very quick Christina Aguilera Star Spangled Banner parody - founding fathers watch and react (all in fun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRlhLXFytg

I do  love her - but this moment just cried out for parody.

Good one. Now where's the spoof of the dancing Oompa Loompas during halftime?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »

TOD: I'd like a dust jacket to go with my first edition copy of "The Good Companions." Or maybe a first edition of any of Anthony Trollope's books. Or anything of George Eliot's, Jane Austin's or Charles Dickens'.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »

Condolences to the friend of DR The Vixter.

That is sad! Ditto from me!!

I have to call Joshie before I head to NYPL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

TOD: I'd like a dust jacket to go with my first edition copy of "The Good Companions." Or maybe a first edition of any of Anthony Trollope's books. Or anything of George Eliot's, Jane Austin's or Charles Dickens'.

I think my copy of "Good Companions" has a dust jacket, but I'm not sure it's a first edition.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »

Condolences to the friend of DR The Vixter.
Condolences.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »

TOD - I would like the dust jacket for my autographed copy of ELOISE, but I read the book until the cover disintegrated.  My sister took me to the book department at Detroit's (late) downtown J. L. Hudson store to meet Kay Thompson when I was 5 or 6 years old.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »

TOD - I would like the dust jacket for my autographed copy of ELOISE, but I read the book until the cover disintegrated.  My sister took me to the book department at Detroit's (late) downtown J. L. Hudson store to meet Kay Thompson when I was 5 or 6 years old.
I can see why you would treasure that. Great story.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: SEPTEMPARTITE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SEVEN DEADLY SINS

FJL

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »

Thanks, Ginny and John G!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »

Temp in Oakland yesterday -- upper 70s.  Had to run a fan all night just to stir the air in my condo.

Slept very well.

Still stuffed up, sinus/nasal congestion-wise.  A bit lethargic today.  Lots to do and too few hours today to complete it all.  Sigh.  Plus two time-consuming get-nothing-done meetings to attend.  Sigh.

Mondays can, occasionally, suck.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »

What's shocking about "the flub" by Aguilera is that she KNEW she'd be singing it...she should have been practicing, practicing, practicing...and it should have been "muscle memory" forming the words even if she wasn't thinking about them.

But...folks flub stuff...even skilled, verstaile professionals.  Stuff happens.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »

Temp in Oakland yesterday -- upper 70s.  Had to run a fan all night just to stir the air in my condo.

Slept very well.

Still stuffed up, sinus/nasal congestion-wise.  A bit lethargic today.  Lots to do and too few hours today to complete it all.  Sigh.  Plus two time-consuming get-nothing-done meetings to attend.  Sigh.

Only occasionally?
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

Did Christina Aguilera actually sing "At the twilight's last reaming" last night before th Super Bowl?  Sure sounded like it!

A very quick Christina Aguilera Star Spangled Banner parody - founding fathers watch and react (all in fun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRlhLXFytg

I do  love her - but this moment just cried out for parody.

This is pretty funny!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »

Just received an e-mail from one of my instructors that we would be having an online session tonight at 7:30. I can't believe this. Is there any sort of professional courtesy in that? I wrote back saying I had business plans for the evening and that I would prefer at the least a 24-hour advance notice of events in which I am to be involved. Am I overreacting?
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »

Just received an e-mail from one of my instructors that we would be having an online session tonight at 7:30. I can't believe this. Is there any sort of professional courtesy in that? I wrote back saying I had business plans for the evening and that I would prefer at the least a 24-hour advance notice of events in which I am to be involved. Am I overreacting?

No, you're not overreacting...at all.  And I'd think that they're very inconsiderate to even schedule something that late.

Just my 2¢.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »

What's shocking about "the flub" by Aguilera is that she KNEW she'd be singing it...she should have been practicing, practicing, practicing...and it should have been "muscle memory" forming the words even if she wasn't thinking about them.

I'm sure she knows the words to the anthem.  Maybe it had something to do with how difficult it is to sing the song a) live in front of millions of million or b) the weird echo the microphone makes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »

I'm sure she knows the words to the anthem.  Maybe it had something to do with how difficult it is to sing the song a) live in front of millions of million or b) the weird echo the microphone makes.

Well, I'm not so sure. Do you know how stupid the general American public is these days? Really really really dumb.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »

Speaking of really dumb, guess who left all of his NYPL research at home this morning?

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

I am back from the hospital, where I had every woman's favorite screening procedure.  I could have just stayed home, stuck my chest in the freezer, and had Richard lean on the door, but that wouldn't have told my doctors anything.  Not that I expect there to be anything TO tell them, it was just time.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »

re: some of the comments from yesterday.

I watched INCEPTION a few weeks ago. I think the idea was better than the movie.

I wish my library would get THE SOCIAL NETWORK as I really want to see it.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »

I made a few things for the Super Bowl.

One I"ve made before (a lemon cheesecake) was almost a disaster.  The other I've never made (butter toffee pretzels) was so good!

RE: the problem. I forgot that the texture of the lemony part was so liquidy. Which made it impossible for it to travel.  I had it in a big container. But much of the lemony stuff dripped off the pie. For some reason i remembered the lemony part to be more pudding in texture. I guess that is just how it ends up.  Anyhow it tasted very good. And looked okay. I was just upset by t.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »

I actually liked the Super Bowl Halftime show.  I was watchng with my niece. And she loved it when the people dancing had their costumes light up.  I loved that part too!

FJL

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »

Thanks, George.

George

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »

Gorky Park has arrived and will be played very soonly. :D

George

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

As I've been listening to "Gorky Park," some other items that I've ordered have arrived!

John Adams' Doctor Atomic (the live from the Met DVD)
Red Dwarf:  Back to Earth (the director's cut PAL, Region 2 DVD)
Soapdish (my mom loves this movie)
A Spoonful of Stiles & Drews: Celebrating 25 years of songwriting by George Stiles & Anthony Drewe ("Highlights recorded live at Her Majesty's Theatre")

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »

Slept very well.

Only occasionally?

I've been taking a few off lately, so...occasionally for the nonce!

Laura

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »

I am back from the hospital, where I had every woman's favorite screening procedure.  I could have just stayed home, stuck my chest in the freezer, and had Richard lean on the door, but that wouldn't have told my doctors anything.  Not that I expect there to be anything TO tell them, it was just time.

LOL!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »

Still On Page 2?
Jeezus! Where is everyone today?

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »

TOD:

I am also not a collector of books, so having a first addition would not mean much to me and I don't know, other then perhaps monetary reasons, why I would want one.

Autographed copies of books, however, are another story. I like to have my books autographed by the author, whenever possible.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

The TOD does remind me that I finished DR Druxy's book this weekend. Loved it Michael! It really was an enjoyable read and I am very happy that you put your stories down in print!!

It was fun for me to know what a publicist does, as well. One of my facebook friends is facebook friends with Joi Lansing's former publicist. I think his name is Bill Corcoran. Does that name ring a bell to you DR Druxy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up