Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEST LAID PLANS  (Read 11838 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE BEST LAID PLANS
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 07:42:58 AM »

TOD: The sandwich that's in front of me. Usually.

I could go on about favorite sandwiches, which are memorable for many different reasons, an excellent bread with plenty of crust, perfectly cut slices of house-cured meats and salami, fresh cheeses, great vegetables. So, I'll limit myself to three:

1. The veggie pitas we made recently for a fundraiser. Slivers of orange and red bell peppers, slices of zucchini and yellow squash, quarters of green pattypan squash, mushrooms, Asian purple eggplant and more grilled and stuffed into pita with feta and olives on top.

2. A trio of grilled cheese sandwiches hot off the grill. One was stuffed with multiple cheeses, a second had colby and roasted red bell pepper, and the third had tapenade melted into the cheese.

3. A pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw from one of the local taco trucks. The sauce on the pork is made with mustard and isn't too sweet. Neither is the slaw. Together they are magical. In fact, I think that's lunch today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »

DR Jose - the crackdown on short-term rentals in NYC caused the disappearance of our favorite apartments from vrbo.com  :'(

Hope all works out for you!

I was afraid that that had happened too. :-\

I also figured something was up when I noticed the change in the wording of a lot of the housing ads on Craigslist. In any case...

The "worst case scenario" for me right now is to move down to Fairfax/DC a couple of weeks earlier than originally planned. -And there's really nothing wrong with some extra "Uncle Jojo" time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »

And now...

Time to head out trek around the City of New York for a couple of hours.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »

Housing vibes for Jose.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »

Found my OBC recording of "Gypsy." All's right in my world for a moment or three.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »

THE AMAZING RACE DISCUSSION

No TAR last night.  Oh, well--another week to get over losing one of my favorite contestants the other week.  Rooting for the Cowboys, now.

Who was your favorite contestant? Jaime and Cara? :)
(actually i am curious).

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

All this talk of food is making me so hungry.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »

Btw, I have never tried steak tartare. But I don't think i would like it since I like my meat well cooked.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

I love a good smoked meat sandwich.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: ABSTEMIOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  FOLLOW THE FOLD

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

DR Jose, I am curious about the UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS sequel, but I doubt I'll watch it until it's on DVD. I'm in the middle of MILDRED PIERCE, and I cannot rrcommend it highly enough, I've missed the beginning of THE BORGIAS, which I can catch up with on Showtime on Demand, and there's this GAME OF THRONES, about which I know nothing, coming up.

I didn't see all of the original UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS - which I only caught occasionally in its initial PBS run - until around three years ago when I watched the entire series in one fell swoop that took me several weeks to accomplish. It was truly an amazing series.

I am missing MILDRED PIERCE, DR TCB, because I lack HBO.  I hope to catch it one of these days...

I wonder if THE BORGIAS are using Hermione Gingold's "The Borgias Are Having An Orgy" as its theme song?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »

THE AMAZING RACE DISCUSSION

No TAR last night.  Oh, well--another week to get over losing one of my favorite contestants the other week.  Rooting for the Cowboys, now.

Who was your favorite contestant? Jaime and Cara? :)
(actually i am curious).

My favs were Margie and Luke, DR Jenn.  Though, of the two, it was primarily Margie I admired for her quiet strength.

Also, kind of strange that there was relatively no dredging up of the friction between Margie and Luke and LaKisha and Jennifer during their original season...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »

TOD:  The absolute "best" sammich I ever et was called a "muffaletta" sammich.  I had it at a no-longer-open eatery in Oakland called "The Cuckoo's Nest." 

Funny thing about this sammich: It was a "special" the day I ordered it.  It was so good I was sure they'd have it again.  After a couple of months had gone by and I went back, I asked about the sammich and whether it might be offered again.  The waitress asked and reported back to me:  "No one here has ever heard of it and the cook says he never made one before."  I asked if they had a new cook and was told no, it was the same cook they had used for years.

So....!!!!!!!!!!

I know what I ate and where I ate it...and even had a witness who remembered how I oohed and aahed over it. 

Oh, well.

I've looked up different recipes for the sammich, but have never tried to replicate it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »

I'm up after another excellent night's sleep, which I really needed.  Don't know that I'll have time now to do shipping this morning, so I may do that tomorrow morning instead.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

Act One is ready for the copyists. On to Act Two.

First, lunch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »

Saturday, I posted the cover of the new book - some liked the font, some didn't and found part of it hard to read.  The font was the same as Murder at the Hollywood Historical Society, and so I was not concerned with readability really.  But interestingly, I think it was JohnG that said that he really liked the cover AND the font because he felt it had a fun 30s mystery feel to it.  That comment made complete sense to me and that's the comment that caused me to rethink the font, because while the font was really appropriate for Hollywood Historical Society, which had to do with a group of older folks preserving Hollywood's classic history, this book is not that - so I talked to Grant about that and that made sense to him, too, and he just sent me the new version and it's really great, I think.  So, thanks to all for the feedback and I'm pleased as punch with this.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:47:55 AM by bk »

John G.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »

Looks good to me. Type does suggest certain feelings, and if it ain't the feeling you want to communicate, glad you found one that does. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »

Lunch today is a quick collard greens salad with a garlic vinaigrette. All because that's what i had on hand. I want a sangwich though.

Have you ever noticed how many people mangle that word? Ron offered sammich. I used to work with a sangwich eater.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

BK-- I have to say I really like the new font. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »

Looks good to me. Type does suggest certain feelings, and if it ain't the feeling you want to communicate, glad you found one that does. 

That's why your comment was so helpful - even though you liked it, it communicated the wrong feeling in terms of the style of the font - and that helped me focus on the why of that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:01:13 AM by bk »

KevinH

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »

Back from the laundromat.  The storage area/laundry room is far from being ready (after the fire in the basement of my building).  It looks like I'll be going to the laundromat for a while.

KevinH

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »

Watching Hyacinth ("it's not buck-et, it's boo-kay") on PBS. I never tire of the show (Keeping Up Appearances).

KevinH

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »

We're expecting a a high in the upper 70's today and back to the 50's tomorrow.  It's a windy day though, with higher winds expected later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »

Saturday, I posted the cover of the new book - some liked the font, some didn't and found part of it hard to read.  The font was the same as Murder at the Hollywood Historical Society, and so I was not concerned with readability really.  But interestingly, I think it was JohnG that said that he really liked the cover AND the font because he felt it had a fun 30s mystery feel to it.  That comment made complete sense to me and that's the comment that caused me to rethink the font, because while the font was really appropriate for Hollywood Historical Society, which had to do with a group of older folks preserving Hollywood's classic history, this book is not that - so I talked to Grant about that and that made sense to him, too, and he just sent me the new version and it's really great, I think.  So, thanks to all for the feedback and I'm pleased as punch with this.

I'll drink to that!

Can't wait to read it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

I really like the new font, BK. 

When do you expect to start taking orders??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »

DR Jose, I am curious about the UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS sequel, but I doubt I'll watch it until it's on DVD. I'm in the middle of MILDRED PIERCE, and I cannot rrcommend it highly enough, I've missed the beginning of THE BORGIAS, which I can catch up with on Showtime on Demand, and there's this GAME OF THRONES, about which I know nothing, coming up.

I didn't see all of the original UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS - which I only caught occasionally in its initial PBS run - until around three years ago when I watched the entire series in one fell swoop that took me several weeks to accomplish. It was truly an amazing series.

The new version is going to be released on April 26, 2011.  I just ordered it last week for my library.

And the original series has just been rereleased with "25+ Hours of New Bonus Material" (which I also ordered for the library).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:28:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »

TOD:  Langers Pastrami sandwich at Langers, of course.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »

BK - I like the new font much better.  The Ss were a problem for me in the first one.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »

BK - I like the new font much better.  The Ss were a problem for me in the first one.

I agree with DR Ginny. The first font was harder to read.

George

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »

Well, since we're so close...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up