Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OLD COLLEGE TRY  (Read 13018 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE OLD COLLEGE TRY
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »

I know it's not Ask BK/Ask DR Day, but...

A colleague of mine was wondering who did the orchestrations for the movie of "The Sound of Music". On the IMDB they list Irwin Kostal as the music supervisor, arranger and conductor, but there's no orchestrator credit listed - at least not on the IMDB. I know that the original Broadway orchestrations were done by Robert Russell Bennett - with the choral arrangements by Trude Rittman.

Did Kostal adapt Bennett's and Rittman's originals? Or did he start from scratch as it were?

DR elmore?

I think he started from the song sheets published and Rodgers' written copies, but I'd have to ask Bruce Pomahac, who knows all things R&H thoroughly. He might have worked from the published vocal score, but so many of the numbers were expanded and extended for the filming, although most of the arrangements don't sound much like Bennett's originals at all to me, although Trude's work sounds expanded. Keys were changed for some numbers, and I believe that Rodgers had next to no input on "I Have Confidence." Saul Chaplin implies that he and Kostal put it together from bits of the score and a tune and rough lyric that Rodgers sent to LA. How much of that's true and how much is Chaplin stressing his own importance I can't say.

IIRC, the entire list of orchestrators can be found on the opening credits of the film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »

Sakes alive,
we're opn Page 5
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »

I know it's not Ask BK/Ask DR Day, but...

A colleague of mine was wondering who did the orchestrations for the movie of "The Sound of Music". On the IMDB they list Irwin Kostal as the music supervisor, arranger and conductor, but there's no orchestrator credit listed - at least not on the IMDB. I know that the original Broadway orchestrations were done by Robert Russell Bennett - with the choral arrangements by Trude Rittman.

Did Kostal adapt Bennett's and Rittman's originals? Or did he start from scratch as it were?

DR elmore?

I think he started from the song sheets published and Rodgers' written copies, but I'd have to ask Bruce Pomahac, who knows all things R&H thoroughly. He might have worked from the published vocal score, but so many of the numbers were expanded and extended for the filming, although most of the arrangements don't sound much like Bennett's originals at all to me, although Trude's work sounds expanded. Keys were changed for some numbers, and I believe that Rodgers had next to no input on "I Have Confidence." Saul Chaplin implies that he and Kostal put it together from bits of the score and a tune and rough lyric that Rodgers sent to LA. How much of that's true and how much is Chaplin stressing his own importance I can't say.

IIRC, the entire list of orchestrators can be found on the opening credits of the film.

I don't like the film enough to ever want to see it again. It's curious that IMDB is quite vague on the subject.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »

Finished the work session with the MD - he's now got a LOT of homework to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »

I'm very glad to know that the sheep cross at Sheep's Crossing.  It could get ugly if they chose Squirrel's Crossing to cross.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »

DR Jose, I need a rehearsal studio next Wednesday and the 72nd Street Studios are booked. Got any ideas? I just need room for three people, a CD player and a piano.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:48:32 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »

Squirrels' Crossing is pretty much anywhere along the highway.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

Poor squirrels. They don't know how dangerous it is.

Laura

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

We don't have many squirrels out here. So maybe it should be "Rabbits' Crossing."

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »

My only Easter decor is a salt and pepper set. They are baby chicks, but are shaped more like eggs. The are sitting on my oven right now.

Laura

« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »

I think we need a photo, MBarnum.

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »

Yes, please will me your kitschy tchochkes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »

I need to try the new iron I purchased yesterday.

Richard bought us a new iron today and is trying it out right now.

What did you get?  I got the T-Fal Ultaglide Easycord Steam Iron.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »

Yes, please will me your kitschy tchochkes.

;D

Michael

« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »

My favorite companion from the Dr. Who series Elizabeth Sladen passed away at the age of 63. She played Sarah Jane Smith and  was the only connection from the orginal series and the current revival. She worked  with three incarnations of the doctor and appeared in two spinoffs. K9 and Friends and The Sarah Jane Adventures. She appeared in more episodes than any other companion.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/doctor-who-star-elisabeth-sladen-dies-at-63
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 04:27:38 PM »

I think we need a photo, MBarnum.
We need one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »

63 is far too young to die!! :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »

Nice photos from DR GINNY and DR LAURA.

And of course DR DRUXY's Lombard collection of photos was very nice.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »

GLEE returns tonight.  It could be bad news for some.....I am not sure if I am indifferent or not.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:53 PM »

Michael Sarrazin was so good in THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and THE FLIMFLAM MAN.

Michael

« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

Michael Sarrazin was so good in THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and THE FLIMFLAM MAN.

I don't think he was in the Illustrated Man. That was Robert (or was it RIchard) Drivas
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »

My favorite companion from the Dr. Who series Elizabeth Sladen passed away at the age of 63. She played Sarah Jane Smith and  was the only connection from the orginal series and the current revival. She worked  with three incarnations of the doctor and appeared in two spinoffs. K9 and Friends and The Sarah Jane Adventures. She appeared in more episodes than any other companion.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/doctor-who-star-elisabeth-sladen-dies-at-63

:'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »

Bk was the one that was tired when he wrote the notes, but I was the one that wasn't tracking when I read them.  BK mentioned in the notes that he was going to use the young man in the next show who did the Berlin show.  I sat here for the longest time trying to remember if I knew he had gone to Berlin and done a show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »

Just checked out the "Remastered Edition" of The Boy Friend.  Um, no.  Sad to say but it's faded and brownish from its original glorious color.  Very disappointing, as many of the recent Warners transfers have gotten the color right.  All they had to do was add blue and it would have been much better.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »

Just checked out the "Remastered Edition" of The Boy Friend.  Um, no.  Sad to say but it's faded and brownish from its original glorious color.  Very disappointing, as many of the recent Warners transfers have gotten the color right.  All they had to do was add blue and it would have been much better.
Bummer. I was really looking forward to it. I don't think I've seen the movie since it was originally released and I don't want to remember how many years ago that was.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »

Darn...that's disappointing. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »

JEWS AND BASEBALL arrived in my mailbox today... Woo and hoo!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

Reading about DR Ginny's birth certificate issues.

I find it extremely odd that the person at the passport office did not tell you that your birth certificate was not acceptable. I would contact the passport office.

It does seem to happen a lot that people need new proper birth certificates (i did too). But for the passport office not to tell you... well that is not fair to you. That person made a mistake.

What difference would it make to contact the passport.  Granted they should have told her, but the bottom line is that the U.S. Government will not issue her a passport with that birth certificate.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »

I don't think he was in the Illustrated Man. That was Robert (or was it RIchard) Drivas

Robert Drivas; he and Terrence McNally were partners for years.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »

The story of Chesea, the missing Bernese Mountain Dog, continues.  I hope you can read this incredible story of the people behind the story-amazing!
https://www.facebook.com/notes/jennifer-lennon/chelsea-update/10150567050155006
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up