Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LETTER  (Read 34867 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE LETTER
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »

Page five?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »

That it is.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »

Vibes for the folks in the flood area.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

Just finished "Jews and Baseball." Great flick. And beautifully edited.
― Voltaire

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »

Happy birthday dear Arnold M Brockman  :) ;)  ;D 8) :-* :-[
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »

Weekend greetings to everyone  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »

I WILL BE AT BK'S BOOK SIGNING.  8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

http://www.kfyrtv.com/Flood.asp

site for the Bismarck flood. They are evaccuating the animals from the Dakota zoo.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Sam

« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »

This weekend is really good so far.   Last night was dinner at Winchesters and then live music at the local pool hall, and of course walking both sides of Main St.  (from my house, no driving at all, what a treat).

This morning a 7am meeting, breakfast with the locals, a 2pm 3 hour 12 step speaker meeting.  Really nice day outside.  

Now I'm just listening to music.

Tomorrow a 7am meeting and breakfast.  Then I'll be at the Rubicon Theatre twice, for young playwrights festival short story one act plays.

Monday the same, 7am meeting and breakfast, 2pm at the Rubicon, and in the evening at the Rubicon an evening with 4 guest writers.

Sam

« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »

Well, I must clean the bird poop off my car and lock the gate.

Vibes to everyone.  :)

Sleep well, sweet dreams, happy Sunday  :)

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

Cilla, I am so very sorry for all the lost that tornado created.  I don't use checks anymore but I will send a money order on Tuesday. 

Thank you so much Danise.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »

Vibes to Cilla's freind Joe.

Thanks Dakota.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »

That must be so hard for Joe to have to keep going back to look for more of this stuff.

:(

At first I think that's what kept him going.  Being focused on getting everything he could find.  He said yesterday when he woke up he just couldn't face it.  It's sinking in.   I think they are going to the service tomorrow central time. I hope they do.  It's supposed to be on CNN at 2:00 pm tomorrow.  It isn't so much the President being there, but a chance to be together with the community members who share a loss

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »

Vibes and prayers to Ernie and JRand

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »

Thanks for the flood info Dakota....it's all upstream from us...I'm a long way from the river and up on a hill, but the Missouri is already flooding a little here

John G.

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »

Busy day.  Got the important envelope, never had time to get to Mystery and Imagination books.  I began writing my commentary in the morning and it took almost all the way up to the work session.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »

Work session was fun, and after we moseyed on over to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles - at four-forty-five I expected no wait at all.  I was wrong.  I forgot that five o'clock is the new seven o'clock for diners.  So, we had a ten-minute wait then got our table in the jammed restaurant.  As always the food was incredible.  The amazing thing always is how full you feel - it's one waffle and one chicken breast for me, but it feels like you're eating four times that much food.  Of course, I also had two biscuits with it so there was that.  The waffle was great, and the chicken is just the best, and the breasts are like the June Wilkinson of chicken breasts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

Then we came back, looked through some photos of the thirteen-year-old and chose some candidates for her flyer and post cards.  Then they left and I finished the commentary, so that's done.  I'm sure I'll cut some of it down and finesse it but at least it's finished and now I can move onto the liner notes.  Once those are done, then I get back to my other two writing projects.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for Ernie, the Friend of JRand60!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DR JRand460, I am so sorry to read of this.

I had a great time wth our DR Jose tonight. The play was magnificent as ever and the company I kept tonight was even better!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »

Good Evening!

I had a very good day. A very very very (that's three very's) good day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »

~~~~~VIBES TO DR JRAND'S FRIEND ERNIE~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »

TOD I am reading Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany (Vintage) by Bill Buford

That's a great read! -In fact, there have been a number of wonderful Food/Chef-related memoirs lately. I'm finally finishing up Frank Bruni's "Born Round", and Gabrielle Hamilton's "Blood, Bones and Butter".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »

Saw a local production of Mack and Mabel last night conducted by my best friend Mark.  Well, the orchestra was great and the Overture sounded wonderful.  The rest of the production, not so much.  I didn't like Mack and I didn't like Mabel and I certainly didn't like them together.  I played the show in 1996 and I saw the show at LA's Reprise in 2000 and I don't remember the book being the piece of crap I saw last night.  I know it's been written and re-written, and I don't know if it was the direction or what, but it was difficult to sit through.  You know when several people you know in the orchestra come up to you and say "Why are you here?  This show is crap", then I know I'm right.  I went to support Mark and my fellow musicians (and local theatre)
Somebody needs to toss the script, the facts of the original story and the thought of writing a biography, and just write a plain old-fashioned love story with those songs, one that doesn't end in straightjackets and rehab centers. No one in the audience was alive when those pictures were made and only critics care about the fidelity to facts. You can put in a production note about the real people and then entertain them as much as that music does. 

Evidently, the 1995 London production had Mack and Mabel walking off into the sunset.  It was a big hit.  Evidently, it wasn't good enough for those that wanted facts, it seems.  The story of Mack and Mabel is not pretty, it can't be pretty.  But yes, if you made it into more of love story, it would really work - like the 1995 London revival did.   Last night, before Mabel sang "Time Heals Everything", she did two hits of cocaine and she sang it like she had just done two hits of cocaine.  It was one of the most uncomfortable things I have witnessed on a stage, and to sing that great song like that seemed so wrong.

DR Matthew - I got uncomfortable just reading your post. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »

~~~~~CONTINUED VIBES FOR JOE, DR JHVW AND THEIR FELLOW CITIZENS OF JOPLIN, MO~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »

DR Ginny - Sounds like you had a good day too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »

So...

By the time I got down to the Hester Street Fair a little after 11:00am, there were already about 20 people waiting in line... And the truck wasn't even open yet!

When we did open, there was a bit of a rush of people, but then there was a nice little lull... Which turned out to be the calm before the storm. We started serving a little after 11:30, the line was closed off at 5:00, and the final cone was served at 5:55... Whew!

I'm guessing they sold about 325+ BGICT creations - cones, sundaes and floats. Thankfully, it was a great day weather-wise: not too hot, a nice breeze and we were also in the shade. -And people had no problems waiting in line for up to 45 minutes for their Salty Pimp or Monday Sundae. Or even just a simple Vanilla Cone with Rainbow Sprinkles.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »

I then took the train back uptown, showered, changed clothes, then headed back into midtown to meet up with DR elmore to see The Importance of Being Earnest at the American Airlines Theatre.

What a truly delightful production of a wonderful play. A great cast, good direction and a beautiful set. -I was particularly proud of my friend, Santino Fontana, who plays Algernon in this production. I've admired his work on stage for a while, and tonight he truly impressed me - and made me laugh and smile. A lot. -He also provided me with the tickets for tonight's performance.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »

After the show... And after DR elmore and I dealt with the mass(!) of people in Times Square, we boarded a the M104, and headed up to Ditch Plains for a post-show knosh and a drink. And some 'dish". So... If your ears were burning earlier tonight, well... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up