Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?  (Read 21651 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2004, 09:15:36 AM »

Basic Instinct. As if the acting/directing/writing/ending aren't awful enough, do we really need to see Michael Douglas's tuchus?

What?  You prefer Danny DeVito's exposed posterior in Big Fish?

Note:  I see Dear Reader TD already beat me to provoking the image of Mr. DeVito's derriere.  Mea culpa.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 09:23:11 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2004, 09:17:29 AM »

Just wanted to remind those interested that the documentary about ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY comes on HBO tonight at 8 p.m. EDT followed by the broadcast premiere of DOWN WITH LOVE which I know several of you didn't like but which I'm eager to see since I didn't see it at the theater or rent it on DVD.

The film's costume and set design alone make watching Down With Love worthwhile.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »

So true, DRJAY - somewhere Jean Louis, Helen Rose, and Ross Hunter are smiling!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2004, 10:36:29 AM »

What are the all-time worst movies you’ve ever seen – those without any redeeming features? Hold nothing back.

I wanted to say "Gigli" and "Ishtar," but I haven't seen either of those.

I also wanted to say "Can't Stop the Music" and "Xanadu," but there are parts of those that I really like.

So, the all-time worst movies that I've seen that I feel have no redeeming features are:

"Battlefield Earth"
"A Chorus Line"
"Star Wars: The Attack of the Clones"

Okay...they've all been mentioned already, but oh well.  That's my list. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2004, 10:38:29 AM »

I bought "Down With Love" used (for only $9.99) but I haven't watched it yet.  Since I have NOTHING to do this weekend (yea!), I may watch that, along with "The First Nudie Musical" that yesterday I said was in my DVD player.  Actually, it's right next to my DVD player, but I figure that that's good enough.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2004, 10:40:40 AM »

Any movie that is so bad it has no redeeming qualities is usually so bad that it is entertaining in its badness.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2004, 11:28:34 AM »

Oh my....I just saw a movie on HBO that I now include in my list of most awful movies I have ever seen.

BEFORE AND AFTER.  The acting by so many people I think are very good....except here...is bad bad BAD!!

Liam Neeson, Meryl Streep, Edward Furlong, Alfred Molina, and especially the hideous and irritating Julia Weldon as one of those "Gilmore Girl" type characters who spout the wisdom of the writers without convincing anyone that they could or would or was capable of having such a thought....horrible.

BEFORE AND AFTER....a car wreck.

Robin

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2004, 11:31:34 AM »

There are tons of bad movies I love...Ed Wood's movies, Santo flicks, Russ Meyer, Doris Wishman.  But these movies have oddly endearing qualities.  

Blown up episodes of teevee shows like the Charlie's Angels flicks or Wild Wild West give me no pleasure at all.  They're so low, they're beyond ridicule.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2004, 11:34:45 AM »

I don't know from bad movies, but I am sure that "Dude Where's My Car?" must be pretty bad because it has such a dumb title.

I call it a "guilty pleasure;" it's one of the few teen comedies which actually makes me laugh.  I laugh because it's so dumb.
From what I've been reading, I'll probably have to check out EURO TRIP, supposedly it is a comedy with heart, not at all what one would expect from the advertising.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2004, 11:37:49 AM »

What?  You prefer Danny DeVito's exposed posterior in Big Fish?

Note:  I see Dear Reader TD already beat me to provoking the image of Mr. DeVito's derriere.  Mea culpa.

I think that I have been scarred for life, now that I have seen Danny's butt.

. . .add Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES to my list of bad movies, BUT, the dvd has an awesome DTS track, Helena Bonham Carter is quite good, the production design is outstanding . . .but the movie itself? Grrrrr... arrrgh.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2004, 11:52:10 AM »

Good morning/afternoon/tomorrow. I think that covers all the DRs. On my way home just now I dropped into the Studio City Library. As it turned out, the Friends of the Library were having a book sale in the back room. Picked up a few interesting items. A SATURDAY EVENING POST from 1963 with a feature article about "The Mysterious Millionare - Howard Hughes"...  With the new Howard Hughes movie coming out (THE AVIATOR) maybe it will be worth something. Won't be hard to make a profit - I paid 50 cents. For the same price I purchased a LIFE Magazine from 1968 because of the cover story "The Negro and the Cities - The Cry That Will be Heard" - one of the articles with photos and text by Gordon Parks. It also has a pictorial on the making of the movie CANDY. A friend of mine, the son of Terry Southern, has just written a book, THE CANDYMEN, about his father's adventures with the book and movie, so I thought it would be fun to look at a contemporary article along with the book - which I'm slowly reading.  LIFE used to be such a great magazine. Nothing like it today.
Now I must force myself to work while the rest of the world plays.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2004, 11:53:13 AM »

I could have sworn that during a previous walk down bad-movie lane, I had mentioned seeing SKIDOO, which td and I apparently saw together on our first date.  However, I did a quick search of the archives and could find no mention of it, so I guess I was too traumatized by the memory of that disgusting excuse for a film to even type its name.  It is, indeed, everything BK said it was – and less.  I clearly remember the Carol Channing strip scene, although I wish I could forget it.

I have already mentioned, on numerous occasions, my total revulsion for LOST HORIZON (The Musical), so I will leave that one to others.  

Actually, I kind of enjoyed FREEBIE AND THE BEAN, but I don’t know that I would want to sit through it again.  The only movie I can ever remember walking out of (because I am basically too cheap) was BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON but I don’t know if it was really that awful or if I just wanted a drink.

THE PIRATE MOVIE has to rank right up near the top of the list and, I’m sorry, but for me, XANADU should be on that list.

And, my final nominee (for now), The EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »

The only movie I can ever remember walking out of (because I am basically too cheap) was BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON but I don’t know if it was really that awful or if I just wanted a drink.

I think you wanted a drink.   ;)

I could have sworn that during a previous walk down bad-movie lane, I had mentioned seeing SKIDOO, which td and I apparently saw together on our first date.

We met at nine. I was on time.  Ah, yes.  . . I remember it well.
We dined with friends.  A tenor sang.  Ah, yes .  . .I remember it well.
That carriage ride. You lost a glove.  Ah, yes. . .I remember it well.

Panni

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2004, 12:16:55 PM »

I'm disappointed. Has NOBODY seen BUTTERFLY?

And I forgot that I also purchased at the library sale a signed, 1935 First Edition (probably only edition) of LAUGHTER OUT OF THE GROUND, an epic poem ("a novel in cadence") set around San Francisco -- for my daughter to give as a birthday gift to her father. Totally the perfect thing for her to give him. That cost $1.00.  (I know it's bizarre for me to buy something for my DD to give to my ex-husband. But you know how it is when you come upon the PERFECT present for someone. And for only one dollar, how could I leave it there?)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 12:19:45 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2004, 12:31:47 PM »

DRPANNI I saw Butterfly - and I think only Zadora in The Lonely Lady kind of knocked it out of my consciousness.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »

Matt H I’m so glad someone remembers Ramar.  Keith watched it, and I vaguely remember watching for awhile and deciding it wasn’t very good.  
MBarnum I hope you laugh as much as we do when you get around to watching it, not that it was intended to be a comedy.

François de Paris congrats on becoming a full member.  It won’t be long now before you are a God.  Jane of the jungle is a new one and sure beats getting asked where that other guy is.  I can’t even say it.

Beekay you have fun names for your girls.

Bruce I don’t think I watched China Smith.  I looked it up and I bet it was on past my bedtime.  My parents made me go to bed very early.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2004, 01:03:03 PM »

Larry, how could you remind me of REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE!  That nipple cutting just freaked me out.

Robin we passed on Battlefield Earth:   In fact I’m so pleased I haven’t seen most of the movies named so far.

Jrand53 I forgot about JUNGLE JIM.  I would like to compare a few of those episodes.

Panni I saw Butterfly and a good choice for today’s topic.
I think it was a great idea for you to pick up the gift for your ex. And very thoughtful, even if it is your daughter you are helping.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2004, 01:04:15 PM »

DRPANNI I saw Butterfly - and I think only Zadora in The Lonely Lady kind of knocked it out of my consciousness.

That's the one I was going to name: The Lonely Lady.  I also could find nothing of any value in Moulin Rouge, although the DVD has rehearsals of some dances that appear to have choreographic merit.  Just not as filmed by Baz.

Here's my schedule for tomorrow:
7 a.m., arrive at theatre; help with preparation of stage.
7:45 a.m. musical numbers are "walked through" on our actual stage, all the first time.  (They'd not been staged when last we saw our stage, Tuesday.)  I'm hoping the performers will sing, so we can get used to how sound travels in this odd space filled with acoustical dead spots.
10:30 Our final dress rehearsal.
12:30 We may re-run a thing or two, but must have the stage completely cleared of all sets and props, and the carpet on the stage itself by 1:30
1:30 I may be given an hour to rehearse the music.  While I was promised two hours to rehearse the music, that had to fall by the wayside.  Even now, I kind of doubt this rehearsal will actually happen.
2:30-5:30 meal break (is it lunch, is it dinner, is it supper?  Not sure what to call that)
5:30 Reassemble to reassemble the stage and the sets, props and instruments
6:30 A final hour to run what needs running.  I'll insist that everything be sung full out, for the reasons stated above.
8 p.m. Our first performance.

So, I won't make chat.  In fact, I'm going to bed now.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »

So, I won't make chat.  In fact, I'm going to bed now.

DRNoel, Chat is MONDAY night!

DRJane, I remember Ramar as well; wasn't he played by John Agar or someone of that ilk?  After you saw REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, did you are your friends run out of the theatre and scream at the horror of it?  We did!  I'm not sure all literary Souther Gothic translates to film; I prefer HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2004, 01:24:29 PM »

How could I forget THE LONELY LADY?! I guess BUTTERFLY knocked it out of my mind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »

Good afternoon, all!  A beautiful, glorious Saturday afternoon here in Jersey, where I've been prepping Mom's back garden for this evening's planting of tomatoes (of the supersonic and cherry varieties), green peppers, petunias, marigolds, impaitients and panseys.  Taking a break for now to eat a late lunch and to check in here, so I won't be completely e & t this weekend.  

In appropriate as it may be to say on this particular weekend, the worse movie I ever saw was Gettysburgh.  Tedious beyond belief (at four hours in length) and chock full of hammy performances.  I had to suffer through the entire thing because I went with a friend who was a Civil War buff and I wasn't driving at the time and had no car.  To make matters worse, we went to a "premier" showing which was largely attended by battalions of Civil War re-enactors form the Philadelphia area who actually appeared in the movie.  Of course, they were all dressed in full Civil War regailia, along with the woman folk they brought along (who were likewise dressed in the time period with hoop skirts.)  I have never been able to bring myself to go near this movie again to see if it's as bad as I remember it.

I do, however, have a hankering to see Skidoo.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2004, 01:31:26 PM »

I'm sure there are a lot of terrible movies out now, but I go to the theater so seldom that I'm missing many of them. They're all out on DVD, but I'm choosy when it comes to them, too. So, most of the bad movies I know about are from years and years and years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2004, 01:36:42 PM »

Speaking of that LIFE article on the making of CANDY, I thought that movie was pretty awful. I'm sure straight guys must have lusted over the actress playing the title role, but the film offered nothing for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »

Back from the book fair and now the question can be answered definitively: I have not stayed too long at the fair, because the fair was BORING, other than seeing a few nice folks I know.   Here is a photo of the BORING book fair.

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2004, 01:53:48 PM »

I guess I avoid "Bad" movies! The least enjoyable movies I have watched (and should not have bothered with at all) are "Blame It On Rio", and yes folk, "Beaches" and "Steel Magnolias". Would never bother with any of those again. I guess it's just taste, but to me they were as interesting as "Ishtar".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2004, 01:54:13 PM »

And here is a photo of dear reader Pogue during our beverage break.  He approved this photo.

François de Paris

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2004, 01:56:34 PM »

Count me as one of those few people who enjoyed AT LONG LAST LOVE.... which I saw so many years ago.... and, as mentioned before, the singing and the "singing" ;) were recorded LIVE -- the old fashioned way!.....

Family Band; never ever saw that -- very "political" from what I know, but I do have the LP and the songs are real nice.... whatever that means!

:)

As much as I like classic Disney products, i have to admit that, to me, Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (1966), is a true Disney turkey! :(
... and what hurts is that, supposedly, Walt "wrote" the screenplay specifically for Dick Van Dyke....

Barry Lyndon has always been Boring Lyndon to me.... and I know I'm wrong.....

Oops! - spoo...well... you know!
Guests are checking in!
I'll be back later 8)

George

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2004, 02:07:45 PM »

Did anyone see "The Time Machine" with Guy Pearce?  I didn't, but I remember the reviews being very non-complimentary towards it.

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »

Quote:
That carriage ride.

NO! That SKIDOO ride!

Panni

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2004, 02:12:10 PM »

Back from the book fair and now the question can be answered definitively: I have not stayed too long at the fair, because the fair was BORING, other than seeing a few nice folks I know.   Here is a photo of the BORING book fair.

I don't know what you're talking about, bk. That photo is one of the most exciting things I've seen in years! The  mirth and  merriment are practically jumping out at the viewer. And FS Pogue in his (approved) photo seems to be virtually unable to contain himself.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:36:11 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up