Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?  (Read 22065 times)

François de Paris

Re:HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2004, 03:04:56 PM »

Ahhhhhhhh Yvette Mimieux!!!

Was not she pretty????

Michael

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

Tonight I am off to the Colony Room in West Palm Beach to the wonderful sing Barbara Brussell who has a great cd out on the LML (Lee Lessack's label for which BK has done work for) it is called Patterns and I recommend it.
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2004, 03:25:09 PM »

Did anyone see "The Time Machine" with Guy Pearce?  I didn't, but I remember the reviews being very non-complimentary towards it.

The Time Machine was a waste of time, but I did like Jeremy Iron's super-Morlock, who looked like the illegitimate love-child of Boris Karloff and Edgar Winter.  

And I've gotta say this.  At one time, Guy Pearce was a hottie.  Then, he apparently went vegan, or something.  Now, as he gets thinner and thinner, he's just getting unsightly.  Earlier today, the Significant Other and I went to a movie (The Saddest Music in the World, by the way), and saw the trailer for A Slipping-Down Life, in which he looks positively ghoulish.  He's become the male Callista Flockhart.  Ugh, and double-ugh.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2004, 03:25:50 PM »

Pretty indeed. Which remind me. I have never seen "Light In The Piazza". Maybe I'll see the musical first.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2004, 03:27:07 PM »

In honor of Francois begining page 4. Here is a dance for him.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 03:27:47 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2004, 03:27:47 PM »

Yvette Mimieux!!!   Was not she pretty????

She was on the cover of Life magazine, on the stands the week I was born.  

I'm sure that has nothing to do with her attractiveness.  I feel obliged to point that out.  

Robin

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2004, 03:31:52 PM »

I bought nothing;  BK only one slim paperback.

I went on a used bookstore crawl earlier today, but only found a slim paperback myself.  The World's Desire, by H. Rider Haggard and Andrew Lang.  I believe you recommended it on this site a few weeks ago, Mr. Pogue.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2004, 03:37:34 PM »

I never missed Andy's Gang, and little Tige who lived in a Buster Brown shoe.

Speaking of bad Liz, no one has mentioned Boom.

Nice to see Michael Shayne back with us.

Those photos were taken with my new handy-dandy cell phone.  I am learning about all the fun things one can do with such a phone.  But it's so easy to take a photo and then instantly e-mail it to yourself (or others) - what will they think of next.  Actually I know the answer because I looked at a Windows compatible phone which puts you on the Internet with full Internet graphics through IE.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2004, 03:40:19 PM »

Robin, reading (or should I say re-reading) The World's Desire right now...wonderful Haggard!

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2004, 03:41:26 PM »

In honor of Francois begining page 4. Here is a dance for him.

Wow! Three Yvettes dancing the can can in my honor!
I love it....

Cover of LIFE Mag on the week you were BORN, DR Robin? What a nice coincidence!

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »

A great omen Robin. Light in the pizza shop when you were born.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2004, 03:44:31 PM »

The least enjoyable movies I have watched (and should not have bothered with at all) are "Blame It On Rio", and yes folk, "Beaches" and "Steel Magnolias".

Beaches was one of the very few movies I walked out on.  It takes a lot to do that.  And I sat through all of Battlefield Earth, Butterfly,Exorcist II: The Heretic, and Grease 2.  This should give you some idea of the regard I hold for Beaches.

François de Paris

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2004, 03:49:25 PM »

DR Francois

I wonder if you ever saw the film version of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in the French dubbed version? I remember seeing it on TV in Montreal and it had all the songs deleted from it. I was wondering it that is how it was shown in France?

Nope! I've never seen the film at all! BUT the stage musical made it to Paris and in French! I have the LP and i wish they would cd-release it, as well as the French Sweet Charity with Magalie Noel!

BK,
Can't find the post but some DR mentioned BOOM which went with a BANG!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »

I also must say that Pasadena (where said book fair was held) is a lovely city...if it weren't for the smog and the earthquakes, I'd lived there.

Note, students, this primo example of a backhanded compliment.

It appears that Dear Reader Mr. Pogue suffers the delusion that L.A. smog somehow swirls around--but not over--his Los Feliz neigborhood and that his block has been designated an earthquake-free zone.

Signed,

A Proud Pasadenan
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Robin

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2004, 03:52:29 PM »

They don't do paperback covers like this anymore:

Jay

« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2004, 04:00:03 PM »

And I've gotta say this.  At one time, Guy Pearce was a hottie.  Then, he apparently went vegan, or something.  Now, as he gets thinner and thinner, he's just getting unsightly.  Earlier today, the Significant Other and I went to a movie (The Saddest Music in the World, by the way), and saw the trailer for A Slipping-Down Life, in which he looks positively ghoulish.  He's become the male Callista Flockhart.  Ugh, and double-ugh.  

Pity.  There's a scene in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in which Mr. Pearce appears shirtless, and he looks downright buff.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 04:05:44 PM by Jay »

François de Paris

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2004, 04:02:12 PM »

Well...some DR has removed his/her post about Taylor's movies Blue Bird and Boom as bad movies!

That's a puzzlement... unless I'm hopeless and I can't find the post!

François de Paris

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2004, 04:04:52 PM »

Note, students, this primo example of a backhanded compliment.

It appears that Dear Reader Mr. Pogue suffers the delusion that L.A. smog somehow swirls around--but not over--his Los Feliz neigborhood and that his block has been designated an earthquake-free zone.

Signed,

A Proud Pasadenan

Is this called "artistic liberty" DR Jay?

I mean.... DR Pogue's statement!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 04:06:23 PM by François de Paris »

Jay

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2004, 04:08:09 PM »

Is this called "artistic liberty" DR Jay?

I mean.... DR Pogue's statement!

Actually, it's a fine example of an extraordinarily effective survival mechanism that is quite common here in Lalaland:  profound denial.

8)

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2004, 04:10:22 PM »

DR Elmore,

Ah, yes, I remember the garden shears line. And what about the major (the naked one on the horse) who sniffs Elizabeth Taylor's panties. That was quite a movie.

There are some other Elizabeth Taylor stinkers. Boom? The Blue Bird?

Here!here! DR Dan The Man 's post! (#5)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2004, 04:10:35 PM »

How about the Liz Taylor dog...X,Y, & Zee starring her, Michael Caine, and the lovely Susannah York?

Jay, I still love Pasadena, but smog drifts inland.  The air quality is worse in Pasadena than it is in Los Feliz.  And during the last big one, buildings toppled in Pasadena.  One on Colorado that housed a favourite bookshop was condemned.  In my little home sitting on bedrock, all that happened was pictures went cockeyed on the wall and a very nervous bird we had died of shock.  It was okay, we didn't like the bird anyway.  But you should be a proud Pasadenan. After Santa Barbara, it's probably my favourite So Ca. city.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 04:11:27 PM by Charles Pogue »

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2004, 04:12:27 PM »

I just recalled a movie that was far more upsetting then simply cutting off one’s nipples.  The movie was with Vanessa Redgrave playing a nun.  The movie was horrible, but when she was about to be tortured with a douche of boiling water I couldn’t take it any more.  I walked out to find a lobby full of women.   ;D  Thankfully Keith decided the movie wasn’t worth watching without me because there was no way I was going back in.

Aha! you have just mentioned one of my favorite Ken Russell films!  adapated from Aldous Huxley's "The Devils of Loudon," for once, Russell's over-the-top style is faithful to its source material, and also to the play that was adapted from Huxley as well.
I find that THE DEVILS contains a couple of truly brilliant performances, proabably the best performance Oliver Reed has ever given, and close to Vanessa's best.
For me, this film wouldn't rank on a worst list on a bad day. :)
And, as they say, "That's what makes horse racing."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2004, 04:15:11 PM »

Jay, I still love Pasadena, but smog drifts inland.  The air quality is worse in Pasadena than it is in Los Feliz.  And during the last big one, buildings toppled in Pasadena.  One on Colorado that housed a favourite bookshop was condemned.  In my little home sitting on bedrock, all that happened was pictures went cockeyed on the wall and a very nervous bird we had died of shock.  It was okay, we didn't like the bird anyway.  But you should be a proud Pasadenan. After Santa Barbara, it's probably my favourite So Ca. city.

Good deal!  Thanks for allowing me the friendly joust.  Truth be told, your neighborhood is one of the extra-special ones in L.A., in my humble opinion (IMHO, in internet lingo.)

;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2004, 04:15:39 PM »

I should be working, but instead I'm sitting here reading my 1963 Saturday Evening Post. Here is a LETTER from said issue:
Dear Sirs:
The poem Jenny Kissed Me, But She Called Me Sir by Ogden Nash (Jan 5-12) is pertinent and so well describes my own feelings. I feel that it belittles our high elective officials and their wives to refer to them as "F.D.R.," "H.S.T.," "Bess," "Ike." "Mamie," "Dick," "Pat," "JFK," "Jackie," "LBJ," "Lady-Bird" or refer to the Duchess of Windsor as "Wally." I would like to see a movement started to rule out this nickname business.
Signed,
Harry B. Labarr
Sayre, Pa.

...I wish now I'd bought more old mags! I may just go out right now and check if the library sale is still on. Probably not. But it's an excuse to escape into the sunlight.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 04:19:24 PM by Panni »

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2004, 04:15:55 PM »

DR François. I remember Barry Lyndon as being about 8 hours long! There was some wonderful cinematography though.

How could you tell?   When I saw it, all ten hours, it looked as if candles were the only lights, and there weren't enough to go around.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

I rather like THE DEVILS too.  But in many ways, Ken Russell's over-the-top style works for me...CRIMES OF PASSION & LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM are both immensely enjoyable.  And WOMEN IN LOVE is simply great.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »

And WOMEN IN LOVE is simply great.

Made me into a wrestling fan.

François de Paris

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2004, 04:22:12 PM »

The Time Machine was a waste of time, but I did like Jeremy Iron's super-Morlock, who looked like the illegitimate love-child of Boris Karloff and Edgar Winter.  

He looks ok in the new Jean-Jacques Annaud picture Two Brothers, which is far from being as good as The Bear!

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800019989&cf=pg&photoid=517180&intl=us

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »

Made me into a wrestling fan.

I KNEW you loved a cosy fireplace, DR Panni! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »

In my little home sitting on bedrock, all that happened was pictures went cockeyed on the wall and a very nervous bird we had died of shock.  It was okay, we didn't like the bird anyway.  

Oh, you, sensitive soul!! :o

What if it had been the Blue Bird of Happiness???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up