Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEET CHARITY  (Read 8930 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SWEET CHARITY
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were sweet and charitable, and now it is time for you to post until the charitable cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SWEET CHARITY
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »

And the word of the day is: GAZUMP!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »

Oh, my Lord in heaven - I had no idea what ANYONE was talking about in regards to the announcement in the notes.  I wrote part one of the notes as I always do in a Word doc and then I cut and paste into the form I use.  I have no idea what happened but somehow the raw announcement, before I'd done the cutting of it for the real announcement ended up in part one of the notes.  So part one of the notes aren't even notes and I'm going in to rectify that right now.  Unbelievable!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »

If you go to our home page and then Column Archives you can now read yesterday's notes or a reasonable facsimile thereof.  Please do - I mean, I talked at length about our rehearsal yesterday and all sorts of interesting things.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »

Unbelievable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »

Welcome twenty-five GUESTS.  Go read yesterday's notes because all has been rectified, oh, yes, all has been rectified and they're worth reading just for all the rehearsal stories.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

Oh, and I realize that yesterday's topic made no sense because I talked about seeing a motion picture on Blu and Ray entitled Moon, from the director of Source Code.  I rather enjoyed Moon - a couple of poorly realized scenes, but directed in the classic style with no sops to today's "style" - and that includes using models rather than CGI - and you know what, the models are BETTER.  It's basically a one-man show - Sam Rockwell is basically the only person in the film, save for a couple of people on a computer screen and Kevin Spacey voicing the computer GERTY.  The director, Duncan Jones, is someone to watch, I think.  I don't know how many people know, but he's the son of David Bowie - he changed his name from Zowie Bowie to Duncan Jones, and no, I'm not making any of this up.  So, now yesterday's topic of discussion makes sense.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:08:44 AM »

Oh, my Lord in heaven - I had no idea what ANYONE was talking about in regards to the announcement in the notes.  I wrote part one of the notes as I always do in a Word doc and then I cut and paste into the form I use.  I have no idea what happened but somehow the raw announcement, before I'd done the cutting of it for the real announcement ended up in part one of the notes.  So part one of the notes aren't even notes and I'm going in to rectify that right now.  Unbelievable!

Well, there's a first time for everything!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:12:18 AM »

The newly (not to be confused with Newley) archived notes have been read and enjoyed. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:57 AM »

From yesterday:

Christopher and his Kind

There is an interesting Doctor Who connection with the first three actors listed on the American DVD release. Matt Smith of course is the current Doctor. Lindsay Duncan and Toby Jones have guested on the series. Jones also appeared in the "other Truman Capote bio pic" Infamous

Here is the trailer for the film. Its preceeded by an ad for Bud Light

http://www.azmovies.net/christopher-and-his-kind.html
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 04:22:48 AM »

Sweet Chairty:

I also believe that There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This and I'm A Brass was also shortened for the general release version. I believe most of the dance breaks were removed.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 04:23:52 AM »

Sweet Charity 2:

Was the "happy ending" version ever shown in the theaters?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a trip to Toyland to check on things and an afternoon meeting with DJ, the director of the Appalachian Christmas project, which he's eager to try out in a regional theatre this holiday season. I hope he has good news.

I have little else to report. Singers' names and mp3 files are flying into my emails from Dublin right and left. So far, I've liked these folk:
Sandra Oman, lyric soprano
Sinead Campbell Wallace, soprano
Dean Power, tenor, who sounds perfect for the juvenile, but might work for our leading man
Simon Morgan, baritone, who sounds like a tenor in some of his pop work but has an opera repertoire of baritone roles; his website has some interesting soundbites: http://www.simonamorgan.com/index.html

I also heard, on a youtube excerpt from GIANNI SCHICCHI at the Royal Irish Academy of Music, a pretty young lady sing "O Mio Babbino Caro," but I cannot find her name!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:52:57 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »

Good morning!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:55:04 AM »

Here are Simon and and Sandra:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

Nice pitchers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ has TWO silver tea service sets.....just like Downton Abbey.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:14 AM »

I forgot the best of all! Gavan Ring, an Irish baritone, who's fantastic!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:14 AM »

I have read the corrected notes from yesterday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:28 AM »

Performance vibes for Melody Hollis today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »

I am going to work on my light cues since we are setting the lights tomorrow and putting the cues into the lightboard.....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:59 AM »

Nice pitchers.

DR JRand60, have a listen to Simon Morgan's soundbytes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »

Performance vibes for Melody Hollis today.

I always forget something!

Ditto From Me!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And now that I've "realized" that I'm only heading back to NYC for about 30, I don't have to pack clothes for a week. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »

I guess we need to be less subtle the next time this happens. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »

Oh, and I realize that yesterday's topic made no sense because I talked about seeing a motion picture on Blu and Ray entitled Moon, from the director of Source Code.  I rather enjoyed Moon - a couple of poorly realized scenes, but directed in the classic style with no sops to today's "style" - and that includes using models rather than CGI - and you know what, the models are BETTER.  It's basically a one-man show - Sam Rockwell is basically the only person in the film, save for a couple of people on a computer screen and Kevin Spacey voicing the computer GERTY.  The director, Duncan Jones, is someone to watch, I think.  I don't know how many people know, but he's the son of David Bowie - he changed his name from Zowie Bowie to Duncan Jones, and no, I'm not making any of this up.  So, now yesterday's topic of discussion makes sense.

Hmmm... Crazy Notes... Exploding Cokes... Whats next? ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »

DR TCB - Thank You for the Vibes yesterday.

*Next time, you may want to focus more of them on the second show of the day, in particular, the Dream Ballet. Apparently, a button on one of Dream Curly's sleeves caught on Dream Laurey's dress - the "quick release" one (it's "closed" with magnets). Everyone and everything eventually recovered, but the "pas de deux" ended up being a "pas de un" while Dream Laurey danced gracefully off-stage into the arms of a very alert dresser.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »

DR TCB - Thank You for the Vibes yesterday.

*Next time, you may want to focus more of them on the second show of the day, in particular, the Dream Ballet. Apparently, a button on one of Dream Curly's sleeves caught on Dream Laurey's dress - the "quick release" one (it's "closed" with magnets). Everyone and everything eventually recovered, but the "pas de deux" ended up being a "pas de un" while Dream Laurey danced gracefully off-stage into the arms of a very alert dresser.

Spoo!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »

And...

Now I'm all teary-eyed. "CBS Sunday Morning" just reran a piece on the City Clerk's Office in New York City from 1998. It was basically a series of clips, glimpses of various couples waiting in line for their marriage license. They added a post-script from the past week that included some clips of same-sex marriages - along with Joel Grey singing "Marriage" from CabaretBeautiful!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:11:24 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

I love, love, love SWEET CHARITY.  I saw the roadshow version in SLC when my family was down there for summer vacation in what I guess was 1969 (?).  I didn't get the program that day and was mortified later that I hadn't, especially when a friend of mine in Seattle (where we lived) had a brother who had one and I got to leaf through it.  Seattle actually had a Universal distributor office back in those days (I doubt it does anymore) and I called and asked if there was anyway I could get one and the guy said, "Sure, I have one right here--what's your address?"  And a few days later, I had a program--although the guy had royally screwed up writing down our address, it still got to me.  Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up