News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MUSIC  (Read 9864 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MUSIC
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were musical, and now it is time for you to post until the musical cows come home - they do love their MOOsic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: FOOTLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Welcome twenty-nine GUESTS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:51:35 AM »

Good morning, all! Thanks for the continued vibes and good wishes. I thiunk HHW alone got us through this recording.

First, let's get to the important news:
  DR Cillaliz, I love the new avatar! Is it new or one you've previously used? I really like it.
  DR Ginny, I would have preferred a pint of Haagen Daz as well, but after seeing myself in the many many mirrors on the walls of my room's bathroom, it's time for a salad-only diet for at least six months.
  DR MichaelS, Linda Lavin had other commitments and could not do the transfer to Broadway; I personally think Houdyshell's a better choice. Now, if they could get Elaine Page to learn her lyrics and not backphrase so much!
  DR TCB, I have only great hopes and good wishes for your neurosurgeon visit today!
  DR Jose, what are you doing to provoke all those OK injuries? Give those boys a rest!

Last night's sessions went really well, but up to the wire. We got ourt two leads Eamonn and Mary finished up by the first break; they had two duets and Eamonn's cut song 'Cupid the Cunnin Paudeen,' which is a second-rate Herbert song sung as charmingly as any wonderful Irish tenor could sing it. After break, we did Rachel's flirtatious 'My Little Irish Rose,' and went on to the Overture. We read it down for wrong notes and finished it by the hour break between trhe two sessions.

The last session got in the Big Dance from Act Three, along with the two Entr'Actes, and then we reached the problematic moments: a redo of the choir boys' Ave Maria, which was pitchy. I knew what the problem was: too few strings to focus the pitch and a long section with the violins divided into four parts, two on a part. I had a discussion with Fionnuala, our wonderful concert mistress, and we took the top and bottom parts of Violin 1 from two players on each line to three on the top part and only one on the bottom. That focused the pitch and what everyone feared would take forever to get right was accomplished in 15 minutes or so.

The other problem was the 8-minute Orchestra Selection from EILEEN, which both Judy and David our conductor thought would take years to record, and I was prepared to see it go if we ended up in overtime; I wanted it, but it was the one piece on the recording not written for the show but written to capitalize on the show. We did a couple of complete takes, and then Judy broke it down into three sections. We recorded each section twice, picking up fixes in each, and finished it just before the session ended. Major relief!

Today, I will pack,  make a visit to the pharmacy around the corner for aspirin with codiene - I'm stocking up for my next crippling round of sciatica or whatever it was that laid me low in 2009 - and at 2 I'm having coffee with David Brophy, our conductor, since he cannot make tonight's festivities and Joe and Jonathan about future projects. Then, tonight, Fionnuala, her husband, our Dublin producers, God knows who else, and myself are celebrating.

I've decided as well that I'm going to give my bound photocopy of the full orchestra score we used to make this edition to Ireland's National Library for its collection. I think that would please Mr Herbert.

Tomorrow morning I fly back to New York.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:20:06 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:21 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

Larry, what a great thing to give to the Library!

Glad that it all went well for you. I wish you could stay on for a few more days (paid for by the producer) to see more of Ireland. This time of year is a wonderful time to be there. You could stay in a thatched roof bed and breakfast, you could kiss the Blarney Stone (though that's on the West side of Ireland), you could mosey into Belfast. All sorts of fun things.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:38:15 AM »

Well, I must get to work.

Later, gaters.

Ginny

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  We did, indeed, have quite a thunderstorm last night. 

This morning I'm meeting my Mother at her eye doctor's office.  I'm afraid she's not going to like what he tells her...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 04:51:57 AM »

Good morning. 

Now the rain they were predicting for late afternoon seems to be predicted to start in late morning. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:55 AM »

Larry, what a great thing to give to the Library!

Glad that it all went well for you. I wish you could stay on for a few more days (paid for by the producer) to see more of Ireland. This time of year is a wonderful time to be there. You could stay in a thatched roof bed and breakfast, you could kiss the Blarney Stone (though that's on the West side of Ireland), you could mosey into Belfast. All sorts of fun things.

DR Ben, we have an extra copy of the new full score here, so I'll give that as well. I'll write on it 'uncorrected proof' because we are still finding errors.

I wish I could see more ofr the country, but I think this is the first of more work here, so I'm quite excited about that. I got a really beautiful email this morning from our lead tenor about how much the experience meant to him. I was very touched by it.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:06:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 05:07:28 AM »

Good morning all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »

Morning vibes to everyine who needs them.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:27 AM »

I just read this morning that since Washington DC had the earthquake and will be hit by the hurricane the TEA PARTY want the Democrats to change the name of the nation's capital to Haiti.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 05:14:04 AM »

DR Cillaliz, reviewing last night's posts, I was delighted to see the photo of DR Sam and her DBF.  I wish her all the best, both in this relationship and in her pursuit of her degree.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »

This damned hotel computer does not like my modifying a post, so let's try the TOD again!

I learned to read from record labels by the age of four, and my favorite record then was Fiedler and the Boston Pops and ;Sabre Dance.' Later, it was Tchaikovsky's dance of the little swans from SWAN LAKE, by that point I had seen Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND and my Little Golden Recored of songs from the movie became my obsession. The most moving song I remember as a child was the Weavers' recording of 'Good Night, Irene,' which moved me to buckets of tears. Still does. I have no idea why.

Okay, they've probably finished cleaning my room, so I've got more things to accomplish today. After my walk to the pharmacy, I stopped into thre Bank of Ireland for some currency exchange and I found DR MBarnum's next fantasy. So, Mikey, plan your trip to Dublin for 2051. He should pay me a fee for my help.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:40 AM »

So glad to read all is well in Ireland, Elmore, even with a touch of sciatica.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »

Vibes for all.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:02 AM »

TOD: When I was a very, very young, my first album was the soundtrack of "Mary Poppins," then I got an album of  George M. Cohan. When I was a little older, I discovered Cole Porter and the Andrews Sisters at about the same time. All of those hold major musical memories for me.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it is not Saturday.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »

*Although, when I woke up a little while ago, I thought it was. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »

Apparently, there was an aftershock last night. I read a bunch of Facebook updates and tweets about it. Alas, again, I felt nothing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »

DR elmore - It really sounds like you had a wonderful experience all around. Let's hope all that good "stuff" carries over into your trip back to The States. I hope that "Irene" does not mess up your travel plans. ~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: FOOTLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SILLY PEOPLE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »

Hmm... I shall have to ponder - remember - the Topic of the Day...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »

And now I need to get ready to head out the door since I have a couple of errands I need to take care of before today's rehearsal at Noon.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »

DR JOSE do you get paid extra for all the Put In rehearsals?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »

Good news from DR ELMORE......enjoy your last day in Ireland today....and get home!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »

Nice photo from DR CILLA LIZ.....and I hope you get the view you want!

Eye doctor vibes for the mother of DR GINNY.

Good Doctor News for DR TCB this afternoon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:37 AM »

TOD:

I like a lot of movie music and some "classical" music.....I like GOOD music in all genres....hmmmmmmmmmmm

I shall have to ponder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up