Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA  (Read 18696 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 08:44:04 AM »

Back in the day (when was the day, I might ask?), one couldn't be seen around college without The Viking Portable Nietzsche.  Years later, I wrote a vocal arrangement of the opening strains of Herr Strauss' tone poem for my Tigard Pops Choir.  We painted a big rectangular box black and lifted it up during the concert.  No one got the joke, which I found absolutely hysterical (it's hard to direct a choir when you're laughing uncontrollably).

It's a gray and dreary day here in the NW, a perfect day for listening to Clannad, whose name sounds a little like a dread disease.  ("I'm sorry, Mrs. Smith, you have an incurable case of Clannad.")  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 08:48:07 AM »

Favorite Universal horror film? Probably one of the Ross Hunter soaps or Ma & Pa Kettle.

BK - "Whistle Down the Wind" has been one of my favorite films ever since I first saw it on it's initial release in the early 60s.  I prefer Haley in the early British films when she was more of a real child and less the typical Disney girl.  Not that she was bad in the Disney fims, it's just that they didn't show off her range as much (even when playing twins).  I'm sure Benjamin would disagree.  And ALW runed the stage flop by moving it from England to the southern USA.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2004, 08:49:58 AM »

Zarathustra?  Isn't that the cheese that you melt with butter and then toss with pasta?  I think I had that once at "The Old Spaghetti Factory" (A Northwest tradition, but not a very good one).  Oh, wait, maybe that's Mizithra.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2004, 08:51:49 AM »

You're thinking of Mizrahi, DRTCB.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2004, 08:51:54 AM »

[Oh, wait, maybe that's Mizithra.

No, no, no.  That's the cheesy monster movie from Japan.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2004, 08:56:40 AM »

You're thinking of Mizrahi, DRTCB.

I will stand by my spelling, Jrand!

http://www.spaziolavoro.com/Mizithra_Cheese.html

Love,

The Unknown DR
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2004, 09:05:25 AM »

Ummm...DRTCB, I think JR was making, how do you say in America?, a joke.  Mizrahi, as in Isaac.

Danise

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2004, 09:08:06 AM »

Well, Elmore, when you go and you feel your ears burning, you will know it's me thinking of you all there.   :)

I put the grill togetherwith little problem.  It was so well thought out–every part numbered/lettered, easy to follow directions and the two tools that were needed for the assembly were included!   Yay!  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2004, 09:11:41 AM »

Interestingly, Whistle Down the Wind was made right after Pollyanna.  Benjamin wouldn't disagree - he would have still loved her large if he'd seen Whistle Down the Wind.

Another Hayley worth catching is The Family Way from 1967 or 68, I think.  Wonderful film, and you get to see Hayley's bum.  Marjorie Rhodes gives a great performance, too, and the score, which is quite good, is by Paul McCartney.  It's available on a region 2 DVD, albeit in full-frame.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2004, 09:15:57 AM »

JUST GOT KICKED OFF AGAIN! Luckily I had copied as I was writing, just in case. So here’s what I was saying…
I got kicked off mid-post. I HATE it when that happens. As I was saying... Just came back from a brisk 3-mile walk. I don't usually go that long in the morning, but I had a lot of thinking to do and during a walk is a good time to think.

TOD - I like all the usual classic Universal horror fare - FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA  (it's patriotic of me), etc. Other faves: THE IVISIBLE MAN - Claude Rains is just so classy. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Lon Chaney and Claude Rains versions); THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Chaney and Laughton). My favorite part of the Universal tour is when they drive through the "town square" which was featured in so many of these movies.
Funny sidebar: I’ve been looking though some old clips of Dear Daughter when she was a regular on LAMB CHOP’S PLAY-ALONG. Most of the kids’ stuff –- dancing, singing, running around with the Sherri and the puppets -- was filmed in the gorgeous, huge yard of a house. The house which used to belong to Boris Karloff!

Panni

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2004, 09:20:09 AM »

Lot of AOL problems today. Keep getting kicked off. Yes, THE FAMILY WAY was a lovely film.

JMK

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2004, 09:21:08 AM »

The Universal Tour is part of our family's lore, DR Panni.  When we did it, Zach was about two or three, and after we got out of the King Kong moment, he turned to us and said breathlessly, "We almost died in there!"  :)

Panni

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2004, 09:21:41 AM »

One of my favorite Horror films - and I'm not a big fan of the genre - is not a Universal pic. THEATER OF BLOOD. The best!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2004, 09:22:54 AM »

Growing up in the 50s and 60s we had all those Universal horror films  shown on Friday and Saturday late-nights.  Although I liked the films, the prints were usually not the best and they were usually poorly spliced (for a definition of splice, please see the Smithsonian's website), so it was hard to really enjoy them.  I liked Dracula and The Wolfman the best, Frankenstein was okay, but I could just never quite see The Invisible Man (groan).  I think I really preferred the "Abbott and Costello Meets..." series better than the original films.

My favorite Dracula and Dracula film remains Frank Langella's version, followed by Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2004, 09:22:56 AM »

Panni, if you're having AOL problems, simply click on IE - never any probs getting places that way.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2004, 09:27:41 AM »

Ummm...DRTCB, I think JR was making, how do you say in America?, a joke.  Mizrahi, as in Isaac.

Yes I know, JMK.  I was just a making a hopefully playful dig at Jrand about yesterday.
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2004, 09:31:59 AM »

Sorry about being E&T.  The new job has me on my feet the whole time, and often at double-time, with only fifteen minutes for a break at half-time, so when I get off work I'm usually physically wiped and need to take a time out.

So, I shall try to catch up on the last couple of days notes, see what everyone has been saying, and then try to rejoin the community.

PS: Re the cole slaw.  I made a terrible mistake.  I grated a carrot and added that to the slaw.  This, apparently, is not done in der Brucer's daughter's husband's family, so they refused to eat it.  According to them, cole slaw is supposed to be cabbage, mayo, and pineapple, and nothing else.  They also refused to eat the potato salad.  According to them, potato salad does not contain onion, or celery, or any spices or herbs.  Potato salad contains potatoes and mayo.  And nothing else.  They also refused to eat the cookies I baked.  They didn't taste exactly like they've had before, so the cookies were deemed "bad."

I do not cook for McDonald's.  I do not cook baby food.  And I will not be cooking for that family again.

What a waste of good food and my time.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2004, 09:38:52 AM »

BK: Got a question from someone who read www.brucekimmel.com.

Who handles the Bay Cities catalogue? Someone is looking for Brent Spiner's OL' YELLOW EYES IS BACK.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2004, 09:40:57 AM »

I'll eat your cole slaw,  potato salad and please, bring on the home made cookies!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2004, 09:46:18 AM »

I've moved on to some kind of strange Japanese music by someone on Peter Gabriel's label.  By not-so-coincidence, suddenly Betsy is watching The Last Samarai whilst folding laundry.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2004, 09:46:26 AM »

Ah, the old Universal horror films..what memories those bring back! Love 'em all but my favorites would be DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and the Inner Sanctum film WEIRD WOMAN. THE CAT CREEPS and MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM are also favorites.

Oddly enough BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN was never one that I liked very much. I haven't seen it in at least 20 years or more and now that I have the Legacy set I will be most curious to see if I like it now.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2004, 09:47:19 AM »

JMK, that King Kong Universal studios story just cracked me up!!!

Danise

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2004, 09:52:02 AM »

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2004, 09:52:26 AM »

PS: Re the cole slaw.  I made a terrible mistake.  I grated a carrot and added that to the slaw.  This, apparently, is not done in der Brucer's daughter's husband's family, so they refused to eat it.  According to them, cole slaw is supposed to be cabbage, mayo, and pineapple, and nothing else.  They also refused to eat the potato salad.  According to them, potato salad does not contain onion, or celery, or any spices or herbs.  Potato salad contains potatoes and mayo.  And nothing else.  They also refused to eat the cookies I baked.  They didn't taste exactly like they've had before, so the cookies were deemed "bad."

I do not cook for McDonald's.  I do not cook baby food.  And I will not be cooking for that family again.

What a waste of good food and my time.  Bleh.

What a rude family group!  

I am not much for eating cole slaw (it doesn't care for me), but I will be happy to help Danise eat the potato salad and the cookies, SWW.

“One thing’s universal,

JMK

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2004, 09:52:49 AM »

Yes, MBarnum, "We almost died in there" has become a catch-phrase in our family now for all sorts of things, like getting stuck in the express checkout line behind someone with eleven items.  :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2004, 10:07:34 AM »

My favourite Universal horror film...and my favourite horror of all time, without a doubt, bar none...is not really Universal at all, though they now own the film which is part of the Paramount library they bought:

THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS with Charles Laughton; Richard Arlen; Kathleen Burke, the Panther Woman; and Bela Lugosi in his best role ever as the Sayer of the Law.  Brilliant, brilliant film!  " Mr. Parker, do you know what it's like to feel like God?"  "What is the Law?  Not to walk on all fours, that is the Law! Are we not men?  What is the Law?  Not to eat meat, that is the Law!  Are we not men?  What is the Law?  Not to spill blood, that is the Law!  Are we not men?  His is the Hand that Makes, His is the Hand that Heals, His is the House of Pain!"

If I had to pick a fav Universal, it would probably be THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, if for no other reason than Basil Rathbone and the film's gothic, outre set design.

And though it's certainly not a fav, Universal made a horror out of my sword & sorcery epic, KULL THE CONQUEROR, taking something that had captured Robert E. Howard's moody, visceral style and turning it into a cartoonish, buffoonish disaster that became a rolling juggernaut of illogic.

Panni, my pal, the late Douggie Hickox, who directed my HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, also directed THEATRE OF BLOOD.

Being with BK when he bought the book for the estranged former DR, I can attest his motives were only kind and genuine.  I actually tried to discourage him, thinking in my usual cynical way, it would be a wasted, unappreciated act of generosity...which sadly, it's become...but BK went with his nobler instincts, trying to be nice and thoughtful to someone who had not treated him very well in the past.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2004, 10:16:04 AM »

Son of Frankenstein, directed by Rowland V. Lee, who no doubt was still recovering from Toast of New York at that point!  8p

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2004, 10:22:03 AM »

Toast of New York...very interesting film!

JMK

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2004, 10:24:38 AM »

There are a couple of rare stills from scenes not used in Toast of New York on my website, DR Pogue:

http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/index.html

Then click on "But wait you also get," then click on "More Frances Farmer."  Hey, it's no more clicking than you had to do to get here!!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2004, 10:26:22 AM »

DR Kerry, thank you for the kind words yesterday about the Keith Andes interview! He was a fantastic actor and is one heck of a fascinating person! I should e-mail today him and see if he has gotten his copy of the magazine. Mine only arrived on Saturday and I haven't had the opportunity to look at it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up