Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OCTOBERFEST  (Read 15920 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OCTOBERFEST
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were festive and October-like, and now it is time for you to post until the festive cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OCTOBERFEST
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:36:55 PM »

And the word of the day is: VOTARY!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »

First post of the day! (That's because it's still night from the day before.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:01 PM »

TOD: I have been blessed to have interviewed a number of celebrities over the years. Cloris Leachman stands out as the funniest and possibly the filthiest. But I think the three that meant the most to me were Lena Horne, Harold Nicholas of the Nicholas Brothers and Bobby Short.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »

Good Evening/Morning!

I'm doing laundry.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The one celebrity I've met who still makes me nervous each time I re-meet him: Stephen Sondheim
-And I still remember the one rehearsal of Sweeney Todd at The Kennedy Center I had to play with him sitting five feet from me. "Excited and scared!!!!!!!!!!!" However, my "fears" were eased when I asked him about a particular chord in "The Letter". There was a discrepancy between the manuscript score and the published score. I asked him which one was correct. His answer: "I don't know." :)

The one surprise celebrity - well, celebrities - meeting: Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner at What If?

I've also been very fortunate to play for various celebrities at auditions.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

Oh...

And there was that one time when I played an audition and rehearsal session for Debbie Allen....

'Nuff said.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »

OH!

And playing for and singing along with Vanessa Williams when she came down to the Kennedy Center for Carmen Jones, well, that was quite wonderful.  -I believe I was more nervous around here, than I was around the conductor: Placido Domingo.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:44:38 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »

bk - I hope you get to "experience" one of Ann Sather's cinnamon rolls while you're in Chicago. Sooooo worth the splurge.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »

And... I really should get some sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »

Well, yesterday was a day...a day of good things and a day of not so good things.  The not so good thing was that I discovered that the odometer in my car doesn't work!  I filled my gas tank and reset my trip meter (so I can check the gas mileage), but after driving down the road for a while, I noticed that the trip meter hadn't moved.  I was on the freeway by this time and I noticed that my odometer wasn't changing, either!  Crapballs (a TPunk reference!).  I don't know if that can be fixed or how much it would cost. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »

A good thing that happened was I picked up my new contact lenses at lunch.  I'm also getting new lenses for my eye glasses, but since I no longer have an older, spare pair, I only have the contacts.  It should take a week to 10 days to get my glasses back with the new lenses...that'll be interesting at night or in the mornings, when I like to watch TV just before going to bed. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »

The very, Very, VERY (that's three verys) good thing was getting to see Lorna Luft's, "Songs My Mother Taught Me."  WOW!  She can sing and belt it out with the best of 'em.  She does sound older than when she was in "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl," but that was almost 20 years ago.  Anyway, the show was about an hour and 45 minutes long and she was fabulous.  It was real, live singing...and NO AUTOTUNE!  And only one "keyboard."  And a six-piece brass section.  And all live musicians!  She only left the stage once, about an hour in, to change her outfit.  She walked off stage, the band played for just a couple of minutes and then all of a sudden, she came back on in a new outfit.  The house was not completely sold out, but still fairly full.  But they all loved the show.  She got the best applause after "Time Heals Everything" (who knew?) and "The Man That Got Away" (not a surprise).  She also got a very well deserved standing ovation at the end of the show.

Highly recommended by the likes of me! ;D

George

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 01:34:31 AM »

Instead of actually ushering, I helped to sell her CD before and after the show and I bought one myself.  Shortly after I started selling the "merch" before the show, I bought one and asked if it could be sent backstage for her autograph.  I didn't know if she was going to come out to the lobby after the show, so I asked if the CD could be sent backstage...and she did sign it!  It turns out that she did come out afterward, so it would've been signed anyway.  We sold 25 CDs (at $20 each) and but not as many as they would've expected. 

Anyway, here it is!

George

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »

And that was my day, yesterday. 

George

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:37:23 AM »

Today, will be another day.  I'm going to a concert with my sister and my niece at Benaroya Hall in Seattle, but it's a matinee, so it shouldn't be a long day.

George

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »

And now, to bed. 8)

John G.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 03:37:13 AM »

Oh...

And there was that one time when I played an audition and rehearsal session for Debbie Allen....

'Nuff said.
LOL  ;D
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »

The very, Very, VERY (that's three verys) good thing was getting to see Lorna Luft's, "Songs My Mother Taught Me."  WOW!  She can sing and belt it out with the best of 'em.  She does sound older than when she was in "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl," but that was almost 20 years ago.  Anyway, the show was about an hour and 45 minutes long and she was fabulous.  It was real, live singing...and NO AUTOTUNE!  And only one "keyboard."  And a six-piece brass section.  And all live musicians!  She only left the stage once, about an hour in, to change her outfit.  She walked off stage, the band played for just a couple of minutes and then all of a sudden, she came back on in a new outfit.  The house was not completely sold out, but still fairly full.  But they all loved the show.  She got the best applause after "Time Heals Everything" (who knew?) and "The Man That Got Away" (not a surprise).  She also got a very well deserved standing ovation at the end of the show.

Highly recommended by the likes of me! ;D
Sounds like fun.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 03:39:41 AM »

Third night in a row of a stuffy nose keeping me from sleeping the night through. Ugh.
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 03:46:08 AM »

Woke up early from a wacky dream which I don't remember, but to myself I said "What the hell did I just dream" But couldn't fall back to sleep so I listened to some podcasts.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »

TOD

Had the good fortune to meet & work with (although very briefly)

Michael York
Geneviève Bujold
Angela Lansbury
Christopher Reeve
Bob Hoskins*
John Hillerman

*The film was called Rainbow. Although it was never released in Canada (except in a French dubbed version) or the US
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »

Rainbow does have one distinguish credit to its name.

The first live-action theatrical motion picture originated on digital high definition video for distribution and exhibition in 35mm film.

George Lucas was the next person to use it for Star Wars Episode 1
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »

Busy morning here. That's what happens when the notes go up at Midnight Chicago time.

It's lightly raining on Long Island so I can't be out on the patio with my coffee and oatmeal. I'm in the basement now after I read the papers.

I'm due back in the city tomorrow afternoon.

Later, gaters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »

Sorry to hear the sad ending of DR JANE's story.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 04:48:42 AM »

DR PENNY O!!!

Sister and niece return one week from today - I think.  They are heading north to the Liverpool area to see the old family stomping grounds - and then to Paris.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »

DR GEORGE - many years ago, Miss Lorna Luft stood in for her sister during a Telethon.....and sang New York, New York - and when she was done, I was thinking.....who is LIza Minnelli?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 04:49:51 AM »

Good news from MR BK in Chicago, although no DRUXY report yet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 04:50:11 AM »

Drinks with Bridget Hanley.

That is the name of my new memoir.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up