Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CELEBRATING THE 100TH KRITZERLAND CD RELEASE  (Read 13981 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CELEBRATING THE 100TH KRITZERLAND CD RELEASE
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were celebratory and occurred in a mosh pit, and now it is time for you to post until the celebratory cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: CELEBRATING THE 100TH KRITZERLAND CD RELEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »

And the word of the day is: ENDEMIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »

Here is the 100th Kritzerland CD release - one of my all-time favorite scores by one of my all-time favorite composers.  It's been a year in the making and it was worth all the effort, let me tell you.  It will be on the site for ordering at six in the morning.

Kritzerland is very proud to present its 100th CD release: A limited edition soundtrack and the world premiere release of the complete score to:

SUMMER AND SMOKE
Music Composed and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

Tennessee Williams was already a legend when Summer and Smoke premiered on Broadway on October 6, 1948, thanks to the huge success of his play The Glass Menagerie and, more importantly, A Streetcar Named Desire, which had opened the year before Summer and Smoke and become a sensation with critics and audiences and catapulted Williams into the playwriting firmament.  Summer and Smoke failed to ignite the same kind of heat as Streetcar and closed after only 102 performances at the Music Box Theatre.   However, the play was revived a mere four years later, this time off-Broadway at the then-new Circle In The Square Theater, directed by Jose Quintero and starring Geraldine Page.  That production was a big success for Page and Quintero and the play.   Nine years later, Summer and Smoke was brought to the screen by Paramount Pictures, with Geraldine Page recreating her stage success as the spinster Alma Winemiller.   Peter Glenville directed the film from a screenplay by James Poe and Meade Roberts. Starring opposite Page was Laurence Harvey, along with a wonderful supporting cast that included Rita Moreno, Una Merkel, John McIntire, Thomas Gomez, Pamela Tiffin, and Earl Holliman.   

The film received excellent reviews and Page’s brilliant performance was universally praised – she was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Actress category.  Una Merkel received a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her performance as Page’s dotty mother, and the film also picked up nominations for Best Art Direction – Best Set Decoration, and another for Elmer Bernstein’s incredible score.

Summer and Smoke is one of Bernstein’s greatest scores in a career that is jam-packed with great scores like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Magnificent Seven, Birdman of Alcatraz, Walk on the Wild Side, The Great Escape, Love With the Proper Stranger, Airplane!, Ghostbusters, and so many others.  Bernstein captures every emotion, every subtext, every character – the loneliness, the longing, the yearning, the repression – it’s a textbook example of what great film scoring is all about.  His main theme is one of his most haunting and beautiful – a swirling, sinuous, delirious melody that recurs throughout the score.  His score brilliantly evokes a different time, place, and world, much like his score to To Kill A Mockingbird, which would follow a year later – a world belonging to one of the great poets of American drama – Tennessee Williams.  And a world perfectly captured by Elmer Bernstein’s timeless music.

Summer and Smoke was originally released on an RCA Victor soundtrack LP.  That LP contained approximately thirty-six minutes of music, including some heavily edited versions of cues.   For this first-ever release of the complete score, we had access to two rolls of 1/2'' three-track masters that were sent by Paramount to RCA Victor at the time of the film’s release.  Those masters were used to assemble the LP, but happily contained all of the cues that were not used on the album.  In those days, to assemble the LP they simply edited the three-track masters – thankfully, all the edited out bits were kept and put at the end of the reels.  It was simply a matter of putting them all back where they belonged to make the cues once again complete.   For reference, we also had the complete scoring sessions archived from 35mm scoring mag on 2'' tape in the Paramount vaults.  The LP program was released on CD by RCA Spain, taken from a sub-master that simply did not sound very good, so this is not only the first release of the complete Summer and Smoke, it is the first time it is being released from those original, superb-sounding three-track tapes.

We have put the score in film order, which is how it plays best.  Because all the Glorious Hill band music is used in short versions throughout one sequence in the film, we decided to include those other tracks in the bonus section, as it did not make for a good listening experience to have them all lumped together in a row.  Additionally, we have included a source cue and the original LP edited cues in the bonus section.  The CD contains over seventy-seven minutes of one of Bernstein’s most ravishingly beautiful scores.

This release is limited to 1500 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of November – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:04 PM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to the lovely Jenny, wherever she may be.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »

Good morning, all! I am on my last round of work at the Library of Congress. Depending on how well the microfilm machines are doing, I could be finished as wearly as noon. I discovered last night, while checking my return Amtrak ticket, that my original reservation for ewturning had been made for a 6:30 am trip back to Manhattan, not PM. I really screwed up, so I have to rectify that when I get to Penn Station today.

I have no idea if I will see any sign of my former good friend Loras today; I have no idea what is going on with him, but I'm very unhappy about his behavior this week. I also had the misfortune to run into the lady who caused all of the problems with the LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40 recording. On the positive side, I had several nice discussions with Mark Horowitz and I met a couple of friedns of Bruce Pomahac from the Rodges & Hammerstein Organization who are here weorking on Rodgers manuscripts.

So, I am glad to be heading north ASAP.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:09:49 AM »

Wednesday.

Now that I have my new credit card - I shall be going to the OIL CHANGING place.  I shall order the new CD when I return.

Line dancing/swing dancing class was most enjoyable last night - I sometimes forget how much fun dancing is - and cousin Lita and have been partnering for YEARS, and it's nice to do that again!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:09:57 AM »

I shall return.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »

I was first in LINE!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 05:59:13 AM »

Up and about to announce.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:15:16 AM »

Ah ha!  Ordered!

FJL

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »

Seems like the voting on DANCING WITH THE STARS is vøting off whoever's the least famous.

Doug R

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 06:48:41 AM »

DR TCB 

No I've never visited Seattle. Should I?  I believe they drink an awful lot of coffee there so it might be my kind of place. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »

I received a nice package of DVD's from DR MBARNUM and I am looking forward to some fine viewing this week.

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  It's a beautiful fall day here in SW Ohio - perfect for a walk outside and puttering around the house.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »

We had RAIN last night.  We had a horrendous amount of dust first, but at least we got rain.  And it is almost, dare I say, "Chilly" this morning!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »

Very comfortable here this morning as well....and MUCH warmer temperatures predicted for later today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 07:08:01 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY:

Are the English translations we see for Japanese names....such as Toshiro Mifune......phonetic translations of the Japanese symbols or are they English translations of the meanings of the Japanese name symbols?

Laura

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:18 AM »

We had RAIN last night.  We had a horrendous amount of dust first, but at least we got rain.  And it is almost, dare I say, "Chilly" this morning!

It's glorious, isn't it, Kerry? I was driving in that dust storm coming back from Tucson.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

DR Laura - we saw pictures of that dust storm and the big accident on the interstate on the news last night.  Yikes!  I'm glad you got home safe!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice to get more than four hours of sleep last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 07:17:50 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY 100TH, KRITZERLAND
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »

Jane

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »

DR Jose I hope your back stops hurting very soon!!!!

Jane

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 07:22:58 AM »

I need to research washers & dryers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:22:58 AM »

Yes indeed Happy 100th Release Greetings for Kritzerland!!!

And a wonderful 100th release it is!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »

DR elmore - As for your Amtrak ticket/screw-up - It's best to call Amtrak ASAP to take care of your ticket change since so a good number of people buy day-of tickets on the DC<->NYC routes. The trains could be sold out later in the day.  Plus, that ticket counter in Union Station gets extra crazy during the afternoon rush hour. 1-800-USA-RAIL (872-7245).
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

Thanks to DR JOSE for the Lincoln Center report last night.

Congrats to the friends of DR CILLA LIZ on their legal victory yesterday.

Continued vibes for Sherlock!

Washington DC vibes for DR ELMORE, of course.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »

DR Jose I hope your back stops hurting very soon!!!!

Thanks, DR Jane. I hope so too. I actually slept last night on the couch, practically sitting up and that seemed to help take some of the pressure off of my lower back. Or at least it made it much easier to get up this morning. I know it will take a few days for some of my "internal" tenderness to go away, and I just need to make sure to take it easy with my physical activity and eating in order to aggravate anything further. -I really kind of overdid it once I got back into NYC on Monday - too much walking, too much eating.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »

Thank you DR Jrand.  He is still sleeping.  I've been awake since 4:00 so maybe I'll go back to bed with him. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up