Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOOTIST  (Read 12804 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHOOTIST
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes found the lost horizon, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently shooting their new MOOvie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SHOOTIST
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »

And the word of the day is: ETIOLOGY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes found the lost horizon, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently shooting their new MOOvie.

BK, where are the new notes??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »

BK, where are the new notes??

Oh...there they are. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Doug R

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »

So far, I've been really lucky and have managed to avoid ever seeing LOST HORIZON (the musical)  ;D

Doug R

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »

TOD:
I'm not really into musicals but two film musicals which I did enjoy, and which I believe were big flops, were PAINT YOUR WAGON and MAN OF LA MANCHA. 

Ben

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:58 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »

VIBES TO MICHAEL BARNUM'S FRIEND LAURIE MITCHELL.
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:37:02 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »

DR Michael Barnum

Regarding your actress from the 50's

Is she a member of SAG or any other union? They might have some kind of program.
There's The Motion Picture Home (I believe that's the name)
There also must be some kind of governmental at the state or federal level.

Also she might want to consider making her situation know I am sure there that someone kind soul might be able to help her out. I've seen this happen in the past. She might be able to get some work and get some needed insurance and other benefits.
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:34 AM »

TOD: I could write endlessly on flop musicals I enjoy. Stage shows that come to mind:
Make a Wish (entire score)
The Nervous Set (The Ballad of the Sad Young Men, Fun Life)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (Good Girls Go to Heaven)
Prettybelle (almost entire score)
The Human Comedy
Dance a Little Closer (Dance a Little Closer, Never Want to See You Again, Anyone Who Loves, There's Always One You Can't Forget)
Many of the songs that came from Unsung Musicals, especially the pieces from Welcome to the Club

On film:
At Long Last Love and all that Cole Porter
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:47:54 AM »

Vibes for Laurie Mitchell and for MBarnum's actress friend.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:49:11 AM »

FJL, the pills are a double dose of what I was on before the insulin. Apparently, the oral insulin doesn't really work, so it's not being prescribed too much. (Or perhaps there are not enough pharmaceutical reps pushing the oral insulin, but that's another matter.)
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:19 AM »

TOD
(These are post The Sound of Music when they died at the box they were widely reported. If there we pre TSOM I am not aware of them)

In No Particular Order

STAR!
Paint Your Wagon
Xanadu
Little SHop Of Horrors
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
bedknobs & Broomsticks
Hello, Dolly!
Sweet Charity
Darling Lili

and perhaps my top guilty pleasure: Can't Stop The Music

I also would like to see if ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER also restored to its original length, but I won't hold my breath as I believe La Streisand owns the rights to the footage
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 05:07:14 AM »

Good morning, all! I was ready to head to the McGlinnventory, but our paralegal Geri sent me an email at 6:50am saying their power was out and she needed to stay in Connecticut this morning. So, I will work on my projects for the Encores! Gala today, maybe do some work on THE RED MILL as well.

Yesterday I had a great lunch with my beloved Rob Berman, and much was discussed and much was laughed at. I gave him my impressions of the original Broadway MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG (saw 4th preview and final performance), and we talked about what Encores! is doing with the material. Before lunch, I had a nice meeting with Joshie at the Encores! office to look over his reduction of Saint-Saens' Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix for the Encores! Gala in a couple of weeks. After that we had a meeting with Rob and Ben Whitely, who will direct the chorus for the gala.  I've got a little bit of work to help him with on the gala: harp parts for a couple of items and a chunk of the Finale. He's promised to get me the choral arrangement in the next couple of days. Today I'll write harp parts.

DR MBarnum, I'm sorry to hear about your destitute friend, but I'm more sorry to hear about Laurie. She's a good lady.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for Laurie Mitchell! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:29 AM »

Good morning, all! I was ready to head to the McGlinnventory, but our paralegal Geri sent me an email at 6:50am saying their power was out and she needed to stay in Connecticut this morning. So, I will work on my projects for the Encores! Gala today, maybe do some work on THE RED MILL as well.

Yesterday I had a great lunch with my beloved Rob Berman, and much was discussed and much was laughed at. I gave him my impressions of the original Broadway MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG (saw 4th preview and final performance), and we talked about what Encores! is doing with the material. Before lunch, I had a nice meeting with Joshie at the Encores! office to look over his reduction of Saint-Saens' Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix for the Encores! Gala in a couple of weeks. After that we had a meeting with Rob and Ben Whitely, who will direct the chorus for the gala.  I've got a little bit of work to help him with on the gala: harp parts for a couple of items and a chunk of the Finale. He's promised to get me the choral arrangement in the next couple of days. Today I'll write harp parts.

DR MBarnum, I'm sorry to hear about your destitute friend, but I'm more sorry to hear about Laurie. She's a good lady.

So, what are they doing to Merrily? This is flops day, so tell us.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 05:36:39 AM »

So, what are they doing to Merrily? This is flops day, so tell us.

Nope! That's for Encores!, Steve Sondheim, Jonathan Tunick, and James Lapine to discuss/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:25 AM »

I just got one of my holy grail albums on CD and I've put it on my office computer. I will take it home at lunchtime and add it to the shelf.

It's Sarah Vaughan Live in Tokyo (or Japan if you have the LP). I had the record and cassette for years and always wished it would be released on CD. I love this album and I love SV. I could listen to Bye, Bye Blackbird over and over again. It's the complete recording. The LP and the cassette both had things cut off due to time constraints. It was 1973 after all. Now I have the whole glorious thing in stereo!

Sarah Vaughan Live in Tokyo

I'm going to listen now.

Bye (Bye Blackbird)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: ETIOLOGY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:   ROTHSCHILD AND SONS

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:53 AM »

Vibes for Laurie Mitchell.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vibes for MBarnum's actress friend. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is such a nice thing that you are doing for the latter. You are a good guy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »

Recovery vibes for Laurie Mitchell....the Queen of Outer Space.

Survival and additional income vibes for .........
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »

DR BEN that sounds like a terrific CD.   I love it when something that is wanted finally comes out on CD!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »

I am torn about the musical version of LOST HORIZON.  I enjoy the original film and book.   I just don't like the songs.....and it could be the terrible choreography - the mediocre singer - OR the pedestrian direction......put them together and I find it hard to sit through.

It's fine until the first song.....and then.....

Maybe I will wait and buy a used copy sometime.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »

TOD:

Donnybrook!

XANADU - the movie

Darling Lili

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 07:01:11 AM »

Shooting vibes for MR BK & CO today.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:19 AM »

TOD:

Favorite flop musicals?

Difficult question.

I really like LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS and SWEET CHARITY.

I enjoy the Gene Kelly number in the otherwise forgettable XANADU.

I think that Sophia Loren was quite good in the problematic MAN OF LA MANCHA.  Unfortunately, Peter O'Toole couldn't sing.

Howard Keel, who did the play many times, said that, in the movie, Cervates should have been played by Christopher Lee.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »

I'm up, I've shaved, and will shower in a few minutes, then wait for the helper (different helper on the shoots, since the normal helper has been part of the ensemble), after which we'll be on our way to Alet and Andy Taylor's home environment.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »

Good Morning-- is it Friday yet??
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »

Health vibes to Laurie

FJL

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »