Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SUMMER KNOWS THAT IT'S NOT SUMMER, SO KNOCK OFF THE DAMN HEAT WAVE, WILL YA?  (Read 18690 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

I'm up, I've shaved, and I'll shower in a few minutes.

Kerry

It's gonna be another hot day (a "110 in the Shade" reference)
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

I commiserate with you, Bruce, over the heat/humidity issue.   We have been having it, too, although the Bayside temps have only hit the high 80s, thus far.  It is supposed to start cooling down this evening.  Ah, the dog days.

Of course, SOME LIKE IT HOT!

But to them, in the Bay Area, I say:  Move inland (it's scorching less than 30 miles from here).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

TOD:

I have a number of Blu discs awaiting my perusal, including "Tree of Life", "First Nudie Musical", and "Lost in Space" (it was cheap, and it has one of the finest scores ever written for a genre film).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

TOD:

I have a new CD cast recording to sample:  "Death Takes A Holiday"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

Suggestion:   Pull out your Streisand recordings and play "The Summer Knows" and "I Never Has Seen Snow".   That ought to stir up a breeze.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

Ooh! Ooh!  Memory flasback:  I recall cleaning my first apartment -- a two-bedroom in Vicenza, Italy (small kitchen, wonderful layout of rooms, nice balconies) -- and listening to Streisand sing "I Never Has Seen Snow."     It was on "Barbra Streisand...and other Musical Instruments" which was a newish LP recording in my collection at that time (1973).   

It reminds me that I don't play music while I clean any more.   What's up with that?   It was always a huge help!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

I'm looking at the "time" on my computer...and I can see that I posted the previous post two minutes from now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!

Nope, still didn't catch up.  It's two minutes earlier here, I reckon.

Doug R

Doug R - Will they provide you with a count of your usage if you ask them?

My ISP have now provided a link to an online tool which allows me to check my usage at any time.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical

My ISP provider has told me that, based on my present broadband usage, I am a "relatively heavy user" and that I'm likely to go over my 2GB monthly allowance which is intended for light users and that if I go over 2GB I will automatically be upgraded to an unlimted allowance and charged accordingly.  I don't know what that's all about. I've been with the same ISP provider for many years, and have been consistent in my usage but all of a sudden I'm exceeding my allowance?  Maybe I've just been getting away with it for years.
I think that's when my doctor told me to lose weight or else. Or was that beltwidth? It's too early.

DW Wife Betsy has a good friend who was fired from a job writing copy for a major retailer's catalog (remember catalogs?).  His sin:  captioning a listing for a belt with the description:  Waist Management.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

In honor of our discussions about LOST HORIZON, I am listening to the Burt Bacharach SOMETHING BIG CD set.  The singer of One Less Bell is rather hyperbolic.  I had a girlfriend in high school who used to sing, "One less egg to answer, one less bell to fry."  Hilarity ensued.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.

Ooh! Ooh!  Memory flasback:  I recall cleaning my first apartment -- a two-bedroom in Vicenza, Italy (small kitchen, wonderful layout of rooms, nice balconies) -- and listening to Streisand sing "I Never Has Seen Snow."     It was on "Barbra Streisand...and other Musical Instruments" which was a newish LP recording in my collection at that time (1973).   

It reminds me that I don't play music while I clean any more.   What's up with that?   It was always a huge help!
Music and cleaning certainly do go together. Too bad I've given up the cleaning thing entirely.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com

I watched THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH last night...mainly because Dan O'Herlihy was in it.

Watching this rather boring film, I kept thinking, where was Michael Curtiz when you needed him?

He really know how to make a swashbuckler.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

I love Burt's use of the oboe in his orchestrations.  Pop writer/arrangers just weren't using it all that much back in the day, and Burt writes for it magnificently.

JMK

Burt uses the ocarina beautifully as well.  He has it in the background of his own version of "I Might Frighten Him/Her Away", but he uses it to fantastic effect in his instrumental "Pacific Coast Highway."

MBarnum

Many vibes for Vixmom's dad's doctor visit!!!!

MBarnum

Darn BK, had I thought about it I would have invited myself over to watch the shooting. That would have been so much fun, for me anyhow. I could have even been the gopher!

MBarnum

Or Gregory Harrison's personal assistant.

MBarnum

Well it is my last day in sunny California...it has certainly been warm, and I will miss it when I get back to rainy Oregon....although Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 66 degrees..so that will be nice.

I have had a swell trip and I thank you all for letting me post about it on HHW, even if Mr. Turkey's photo did cause a small uproar....(and a lot of downloading....you guys can't fool me with your innocent looking avatars!)

MBarnum

Now to check out of the motel and make my way to Glendale for lunch with my friend Jerry Lee. Then, on to the airport.

MBarnum

TOD:

CD: For driving around today I have a Johnny Desmond CD which I picked up yesterday at Amoeba Music.

DVR: Whatever shows recorded while I was away.

Book: While on the plane I hope to finish up my reading of the autobiography of Bollywood actor Bob Christo.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

I think we had some good auditions today. It was great to see our DR jose.

I would like a nap, but I think I will run to the corner bodega and then do the laundry. My chores for the Encores! Gala may change today, depending on what Kate Baldwin ends up singing, so I think the laundry while I'm free is a good idea.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)

I think we had some good auditions today. It was great to see our DR jose.

I would like a nap, but I think I will run to the corner bodega and then do the laundry. My chores for the Encores! Gala may change today, depending on what Kate Baldwin ends up singing, so I think the laundry while I'm free is a good idea.

The Laundry While I'm Free--was that a cut number from CAROLINE OR CHANGE?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)

My favorite piece of orchestration at the mo' is Jonathan Tunick's ascending chords (on harp or miramba, depending on the recording) in Losing My Mind.  So 50's in style, guilessly stepping their way up the scale until that final delayed and faultering note--so perfectly fitting for that song!  I never really paid attention to what it was doing before but now it gives me chills.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Doug R

I watched THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH last night...mainly because Dan O'Herlihy was in it.

Watching this rather boring film, I kept thinking, where was Michael Curtiz when you needed him?

He really know how to make a swashbuckler.

I saw this not long ago. Yes - what a boring film it is, with a wafer thin, pointless plot.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com

I just received a review copy of Criterion's ISLAND OF LOST SOULS.

It's baffling that this horror classic was never released on DVD before this.
You can dream…or you can do.

Doug R

TOD:
Been watching the Blu of BEN-HUR. What a superb mastering job Warner Bros have made and what a great film. Everything in the film looks so perfect. You can see that no effort was spared to create something of value. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was made only a few years earlier and although I love that film as well, it could have been made 20 years earlier compared to BEN-HUR. M-G-M certainly made the right choice in getting William Wyler to direct it, who gave the film class - and a cinematic experience far superior to other epics of that time.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!

From DR td:
I have been thoroughly mesmerized by THE NIGHT CIRCUS; it's full of magic, wonder, mystery and true characters.
THE DOVEKEEPERS is Alice Hoffman's new novel, which I just downloaded today for my e-reader, and is about four women during the Roman siege of Masada.  It looks quite promising.

Since you have been thoroughly mesmerized I shall have to add NIGHT CIRCUS to my book queue.  Please let me know if you still recommend DOVEKEEPERS when you have finished reading it.

Speaking of books, I need to finish reading THE NINETEENTH WIFE before the library removes it from my Nook today.  I have about 100 pages to go.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!

EATING WELL VIBES FOR DR JOHN G!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up