Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARRIED EXPERIMENT  (Read 18093 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE HARRIED EXPERIMENT
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »

I sure got a lot of stuff done while my computer was down. My house is nice and clean.
Need the address to my house? It could use some help.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

Another saw that I "just invented":

A clean house is not necessarily a home...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »

So, on Tuesday, Nov 8, we began costume fittings, tech work and a publicity photo. I met Jarod at 4PM to teach him his numbers, and Broderick joined us at 5 to work with us for an hour. It was kind of like this:
ME: Let's look at the new year carol
BRODERICK: Eewww, what's that purple thing you're eating?
JAROD: It's a blueberry bagle my dad brought me
BRODERICK: Why isn't it called a pupleberry bagle?
ME: Sigh . . .

By Thursday's dress, Jarod knew his lines and hers. Rob McCaffrey, who played Arlie, the childlike son of Mamie, participated in all of the kid's numbers so he wasa fantastic help in getting them through the dress and first performance.

Wednesday was more tech and more work for me with the kids when they arrived. Jarod's parents are home schooling him and his sister Rachel and the kid is brilliant. We had him most of the day. Broderick was free after 4 PM. Jarod, Nroderick, and I spent time - around 25 minutes - before call playing crazy eights and Go Fish with his father and John Dowbiggin of the stage crew. An hour before every pewrformance, the cast would assemble onstage and run numbers, tune their instruments and warm up. I insisted that Broderick and Jarod be there as well."You're a part of this ensemble and this is an ensemble show, so you'll get your butts out there and relate," I yelled at them several times. I really adored them both.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:37:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »

I also had that big project over the weekend. And none of the things that went wrong were my fault.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »

Thursday afternoon we did a couple of run throughs and played what we called a "preview" performance to an audience of around 100 that night. It was abit shaky, but overall, quite good. The producer videotaped it and took photos which I have to look at and post. The audience response was really good,and the next day several people called or emailed the theatre to tell them how much they liked it. Friends of DJ's, the McKenzies, came to me after the Thursday performance raving about the music. Their son is an MD in Manhattan and DJ's neighbor. They came back again on Sunday. I gave them my comps. They also took programs to pass out among thir friends. After the show, we had an opening night party at our residence.

On Friday, we had a quiet day. Several went to Savannah to see Johnny Mercer's grave and the Mercer House. They lunched at Paula Deen's. At 6:30, we met the cast, and made a few changes. The show played to an audience of less than 100, but we got standing ovations from several at the end.

Again, on the way out, I heard people raving about it. Most of our audience was retired people living in Hilton Head, and several asked if this was going to be aholiday tradition.

After the show, David Lutken moved into our housing. The director of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, which began rehearsals today, arrived, told David he was occupying "his room," and told him to get out. David is a very gentle man, unlike me, who would have told the director, a pissy queen named Casey, what to do with himself, his dog and the horse they rode in on. The guys all disliked the intruder, who should have complained to the theatre and not to David, for being an total ass and for cramping their fun. To add insult to injury, the jerk didn't bother to come to see our show. I suspect he was in his room trying on new frocks to impress his cast.

So, we all packed David's many instruments and luggage and moved hm to our house. After that, we partied at the ladies' residence and watched the wonderful Irish movie ONCE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »

Ron I thought I glimpsed a bit of it last night while changing shows, maybe it was a preview I saw.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »

I also had that big project over the weekend. And none of the things that went wrong were my fault.

Are they ever? :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »

On Saturday, we played a matinee to an audience of around 50 or less, who also loved the show and reacted very favorably. Our crisis on Saturday morning was that Broderick was taken to hospital for what was believed to be appendicitis. Meg our great stage manager contactyed Jarod's family and Rachel, Jarod's younger sister, too over the role. By matinee, Jarod and her well reheared. After the matnee we learned that Broderick had surgery andwas doing well. Our prducer bought her two funny get well cards, and after the show, we met at our residence to play Celebrity and Psychiatrist, and the cast signed the cards and several posters of the show t hand out to investors.

The evening performance played really well, and we had again an audience of less than 100. The theatre seats 350, but a bigger crowd would have been nice.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:58:35 AM by elmore3003 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »

Ron I thought I glimpsed a bit of it last night while changing shows, maybe it was a preview I saw.

It airs Tuesday nights at 10.  They have been promoting the episode because Henner, who is a consultant on the show, also plays Poppy Montgomery's aunt (sister of her mother). 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »

On Sunday, I spent the morning packing and went to the theatre with Meg around noon. At 1PM, the cast met on stage and Broderick came by with her dad to see us and say goodbye. The performance was really really good and we got it on video. After the show, we all went out to a beach bar at the Marriot Hotel and got looped. Meg got a really great photo of the sunset over the ocean.

Laura

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »

That's beautiful.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

I walked on the beach with some of the cast to our housing and it was a couple of miles, but really beautiful. An hour or so later we all met at a tapas place on Main Street. I had crab cakes, shrimp and lobster wonton, and a glorious banana bread pudding with fresh strawberries. At the Marriot I'd had a burger and margarita, so I stayed with ginger ale at the other joint. The next morning at 9AM, we all departed andmet forbreakfast as a last goodbye. The cast and producer headed off to Charleston to fly back and Julie, Meg, DJ and I drove to Savannah. We dropeed DJ at the airport since he was taking an earlier flight, then the three of us went to Old Savannah, which is glorious; beautiful, real,  the complete opposite of the pseudo architecture of most of Hilton Head, and we split up to tour around the city for two hours. I ended up at a great used book store, the Book Lady, found used copies of a hardcover complete plays of Joe Orton, a British translation I did not know of Anouilh's wonderful play MLLE COLOMBE, and a beautiful hardcover history of Harlequin. The people there were wonderful and we had a nice visit. Then, back to the airport and home.

That was my week!

Jane

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

DR elmore, what a wonderful week!!!!!  Congratulations on your show!!!!  The sunset photo is beautiful.  It seems Broderick made a quick recovering. 

Jane

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »

It airs Tuesday nights at 10.  They have been promoting the episode because Henner, who is a consultant on the show, also plays Poppy Montgomery's aunt (sister of her mother). 

If I didn't have so many westerns to watch I would record it. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm sitting quasi-outside at the Americana at Grand by one of those digital grand pianos - the ones with the disc drive in them. "Blue Moon" is the current selection.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRAMONTANE!

I've always wanted to buy my mom a TRAMONTANE necklace or bracelet off of QVC or HSN.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »

DR Elmore - I'm so sorry to hear that you've been dealing with so much tsuris this morning back in Manhattan.  However, I'm glad to read and see that you had such a wonderful time in South Carolina, and that you were able make it to Old Savannah. I was there in 1993 for a conference and loved it. Next time, you should make it to Charleston. *Oh, and now that I think of it, Charleston Stage Company would be a good "home" for CHRISTMAS UP THE HOLLER.  -Especially since they're now back in the historic and newly renovated Dock Street Theatre.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »

DR Cillilaz - Congrats to you and your client.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

DR Elmore - I'm so sorry to hear that you've been dealing with so much tsuris this morning back in Manhattan.  However, I'm glad to read and see that you had such a wonderful time in South Carolina, and that you were able make it to Old Savannah. I was there in 1993 for a conference and loved it. Next time, you should make it to Charleston. *Oh, and now that I think of it, Charleston Stage Company would be a good "home" for CHRISTMAS UP THE HOLLER.  -Especially since they're now back in the historic and newly renovated Dock Street Theatre.  Hmm...

The wonderful people at The Book Lady Bookstore thought it would be a great show for Savannah!

I called Amy Linton from Savannah to tell her where I was, and I got Greg's voice when it picked up. I don't know where or how she is, or what's going on, but I left a brief message and thought, hmmm . . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »

In other news, I got a very good night's sleep last night. I'm feeling a bit less "clouded" this morning. That's good. I also ventured out to a place called Foxy's for breakfast. That was good too. AND each table has a toaster on it so that you can toast your selected bread to your desired brownness.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »

And now, "The Very Thought of You".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »

Could "One less bell to answer, one less egg to fry" be considered a saw?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »

In VIOLET, the word "saw" is used in "Luck of the Draw". When I MD'd the show, I believe it was the first time anyone in the cast - including myself - had heard the word used that way.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

The wonderful people at The Book Lady Bookstore thought it would be a great show for Savannah!

I called Amy Linton from Savannah to tell her where I was, and I got Greg's voice when it picked up. I don't know where or how she is, or what's going on, but I left a brief message and thought, hmmm . . .

DR Elmore - Did you make it to the water front in Savannah? It's gotten a bit touristy, but those cobble stone streets balance out the pretzel booths and the gambling boat. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »

Why does the cast get five days off at Thanksgiving?  Is that because it is at the school?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »

And now...

I need to spend some more quality time with the copier at Staples.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »

T.O.D.

My old faithful Craftsman Hand Saw.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »

Why does the cast get five days off at Thanksgiving?  Is that because it is at the school?

DING! DING! DING!

You are correct, DR TCB!

They'll be closing and locking down the campus, so even if bk wanted to rehearse us, we'd have to do it elsewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

In VIOLET, the word "saw" is used in "Luck of the Draw". When I MD'd the show, I believe it was the first time anyone in the cast - including myself - had heard the word used that way.

I've never heard the word used this way before today. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »

Post moved. :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:12:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up