Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARRIED EXPERIMENT  (Read 18095 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HARRIED EXPERIMENT
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were harried, and now it is time for you to post until the harried cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE HARRIED EXPERIMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRAMONTANE!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:21 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »

Busy day. Doctor's first thing and then work and then more work followed by work. I hope I get some work done.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:38:26 AM »

Vibes to all in need.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:07:55 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Doug R

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »

Public Broadcasting Service recently launched on satellite TV in the UK. A newspaper report states:

PBS CEO Paula Kerger wants to correct a misconception about American television and wants to share another perspective on the United States separate from Hollywood. Which is why, 42 years after PBS was founded, the broadcaster is finally coming to the UK, with a new channel that she hopes will "give people in the UK a sense of how news is reported in the United States" and "through the investigative journalism, a real sense of some of the issues in the States".

I've only just found out that it's now launched so I'll be interested to have a look at it.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:31:13 AM »

FROM YESTERDAY

RE: The TV Series UNFORGETTABLE

Marilu Henner is a consultant to the series.

Her guest star role is the lead character's aunt who is suffering from dementia. The character's mother died from complications of dementia.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:32 AM »

RE TOD

What are your favorite old SAWS?

Is that what you actually meant?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:20 AM »

I am thinking of buying a book reader.

If you have a

Kindle (Amazon)
Nook (Barnes and Noble)
IPad (Apple)
Are there others?

If you have one what are your opinions?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »

I saw PUSS IN BOOTS yesterday.

I was the only person in the theater.

I really enjoyed it. I think it is in the top 10 of the best animated features I have ever seen.

I wonder if I wasn't there would they still have run the feature?
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:48:23 AM »

I saw PUSS IN BOOTS yesterday.

I was the only person in the theater.

I really enjoyed it. I think it is in the top 10 of the best animated features I have ever seen.

I wonder if I wasn't there would they still have run the feature?

I've wondered if those things are on automatically timed machines. 

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 04:56:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRAMONTANE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:00:01 AM »

If you have a

Kindle (Amazon)
Nook (Barnes and Noble)
IPad (Apple)
Are there others?

I would Vote For The IPad-Because Beside being a Book Reader There Is So Much More You Can Use It For

Doug R

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »

TOD:

I've never heard the word "saw" being used before as anything other than in the context of one of those vicious tools which cut up materials like wood and which invariably slips when I'm holding the wood and slices my fingers off  ;D

My dictionary informs me that it is also a wise-saying or proverb so at least I've learnt something today.

I must give it some thought.

Doug R

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:56 AM »

Very nice sunny day and still extremely mild for the time of year.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 05:34:11 AM »

Same mild weather here. It's already in the 60s at 8:30am.

Tomorrow, though, we are supposed to get rain.

I'm off to the dentist tonight at 6pm.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »

Good morning, all!

I have to catch up on all of the posts for the past week so I am au courant. since I've nothing new to report, I'll post all of my old news for the past week.

On Monday, we flew to Hiltn Head: a 6:30 flght that was booked slid. The idiot clerk at bagcheck assigned tw pieces of luggage belonging to a soldier to my reservation, so I could not check my bag. Once she confessed to the manager her crime, she was sent off to attempt to rectify her idiocy and see if she could get the two pieces of luggage successfully rerouted t wherever the sldier was going. The manager at first started yelling at me until DJ and I let him know where the problem lie. The big problem was at security, since the bag contained everything you cannot take on board for the flight:  large bottles of mouthwash and shampoor, razor blades, scissors. Oy!

The security guard confiscated the shampoo and mouthwash and let me keep the razor andscissors. When we boarded the plane, because it was packed, I had to check the bag anyway, but at least it did end in Savannah with me. The Charlestn airport is huge, and when we arrived LATE I had to run like hell to Gate E11, or something like that, to make the connecting flight. My two companions foolshly went to the food court and, as a result, boarded the plane late. But, because of a heating problem, we sat on the plane for an hour while maintenance tinkered before we were asked to get off the plane. An hour later I had the warmest flight EVER to Savannah and arrived very sweaty. After that the drive to Hilton Head was a breeze.

I am quite ambivalent about Hilton Head Island, which has a great climate and some beautiful lcations, but it is like a theme park: everything built in ersatz "plantation" style, thngs are poles apart, so it wasn't advisable to walk the couple of miles from the housing to the theatre, especially after dark since there are no street lamps. The beach was glorious, the seafood was wonderful, and I would have liked to see more of the residential areas, but the main commercial area, and the guarded community where we stayed were like going to Shangri-La or Stepford or Salem's Lot. Because we were there off season, we fifteen New Yorkers, divided into three glorious and roomy houses, were - I suspect - the only residents in that community most of the week.

There was a wonderful game reserve, but I don't think there were any historical sites like a real 19th century plantation, or slave quarters, or anything. Frm the hotels - the world's largest Marriot maybe? - it's clearly a vacation-retirement attraction.

When we gt to Hilton Head, we checked into our lodging: the actors in one, the ladies in one, and the producer, director, stage manager and I in the largest, Then we headed to the huge Piggly Wiggly ("Save Big With the Pig!") for supplies. We also scheduled a big party for that night. Then we went to the theatre for several reasons: DJ to speak to the costumer and set designer, me to see if Icould find a computer to use since the one I was told would bw in our residence was not in the residence, and then forDJ and me to adition a pack of local kids for the two children's roles, Duncan and Mary Alice.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:18:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »

TOD:  The cross-cut has always been a favorite.  Second favorite might be the hack.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »

I did get to check in from a computer in the theatre offices, but the director made me feel that I was not welcome to do so again.

So, we saw around 15 children, and the first boy to sing for us - the kids had the music for "How Far Is It To Bethlehem?" in advance - was Jarod Valvo, who had played Young Tommy for the Hilton Head Arts Center, the theatre we were taking over, and he was great. His top was indefinite, so I had him sing it again and we went on to the next boy, who looked more Appalachian-depression but who couldn' t sing it. The girls were asked to sing "Jingle Bells," and the two wth the best pitch were a rambunctious 9 year-old Broderick, who looked and behaved like a young Scout Finch in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and a very pretty little girl whose name I forget. I kept Jarod behind to have him sing us some scales and vocalized him up to a G, so I knew he could play the part; the top note for "How Far Is It To Bethlehem" was an E, then we lowered it a step for the autoharp tuning.

After the auditions, everyone met at our residence and we had a great party, ending around midnight. Our Della, Julie Foldesi, was not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday, and our leading actor, David Lutken, just drove in from being on a long tour. End of Day One.

Here's a photo of our Broderick on her 9th birthday.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:33:25 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 06:28:23 AM »

If you have a

Kindle (Amazon)
Nook (Barnes and Noble)
IPad (Apple)
Are there others?

My books are on Kindle...so please buy one of those.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 06:30:16 AM »

TOD:

I've never heard the word "saw" being used before as anything other than in the context of one of those vicious tools which cut up materials like wood and which invariably slips when I'm holding the wood and slices my fingers off  ;D

My dictionary informs me that it is also a wise-saying or proverb so at least I've learnt something today.

I must give it some thought.

I never owned a saw...but my father did.

::)

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:59 AM »

I will post the last of my production photos. I'm sure I will have more to terrify all of the DRs before this is over.

This one is of the great Deb Lyons as the matriarch Curleen Ballard, with her daughters Della and the spinster Dovey (Megan Loomis). Around 10 years ago in Wooster Ohio, I saw a young lady in a production of THE RED MILL who was so wonderful that I tld her to send me a photo and resume. Ten years later, Megan and I did a show.

Deb's costume went through three different dresses; I don't think this one lasted beyond the dress rehearsal.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 06:39:35 AM »

This is our comedy number "Snowman on the Mountaintop," performed to break up the tension of the birth sequence. It's a very funny lyric and I always thought of our DR JRand61 whenever David Lutken sang it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »

I have to deal with laundry and the post office. More to follow.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 07:01:11 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today I'm having lunch and a visit with my friend Becky before she and her husband take off for San Diego for the winter.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »

DR Elmore - I'm so glad to have you back from HHI and to hear that the production went well.  Your description of Hilton Head made me laugh out loud - I agree!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »

DR ELMORE such great pictures....and I am a snowman on the mountain top.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »

TOD:

No fool like an old fool.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Once bitten, twice shy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up