Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE  (Read 12870 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:25 AM »

It's Thursday in Oakland CA.

Have my next dentist appointment this afternoon.

I am SO looking forward to it.

Not.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: BIBLIOPHAGE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  A TRIP TO THE LIBRARY

Doug R

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »

Following previous discussion about losing cars in car parks, I downloaded a free Application for my phone "Find Your Car" which I've tested and seems to work OK. It's also handy for guiding you back to any location such as a hotel - I could have done with it when I got lost in Bilbao last week. Also a lot cheaper than those GPS key chains.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:12 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's sunny and cold here in SW Ohio today.  I'm staying close to the phone while my mother sees her doctor about the chest cold she's developed.  If he calls in a prescription for her, I'm on call to pick it up.  Other than that, I'm home trying to finish Zola's The Ladies' Paradise before tonight's discussion.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »

Had to go to the mall for a few things. The shops are getting ever more busy with the approach to Christmas. Whilst there had a tasty ham and salad baguette and cappuccino for lunch at a newly opened cafe. A female sales assistant grabbed me at a display stand and insisted on demonstrating a gel warming device - they come in all different sizes; some are hand warmers whilst others fit over your shoulders. They certainly get very warm. They were very pricey though and I declined to buy one.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »

Some of you may have seen/heard about the Portland Tri-Met driver who kicked a woman off her bus because the woman's child was fussy.  Well The Oregonian did a big expose this morning that this driver has a long history of manufacturing "rules" for riders, including telling people to stop talking on their cell phones, and Betsy realized she had an encounter with this driver last year, when the driver stopped the bus and said she wouldn't continue until Betsy hung up.

We know a celebrity!!!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »

Of course Betsy was mortified at the time, though I told her it was ridiculous and she should file a complaint.  She assumed she was completely in the wrong.  I rolled my eyes this morning and said, "Sure, the Tri-Met driver gets the benefit of the doubt, but your husband?. . ."  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »

The driver has racked up literally hundreds of complaints just over the past few years.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »

TOD:

I love me something savoury.  But does something savoury love me back?  No.

Nuts are great for what ails you, and they can be tasty (and a bit savoury), too.  I like pistachios and peanuts, pecans and almonds, and walnuts.

Popcorn is fun sometimes.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »

There's nothing like a bus driver on a "power trip".

Doug R

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »

Pan Am has just started being aired here. I liked the '60s look and it made a change to see people elegantly dressed. It wasn't brilliant but I found it entertaining enough. It's just a pity that it has to be so soap operish when there is considerable scope for some serious plot elements. And does everyone - including pilots when working at flying the plane - have to be constantly smiling? I'd not seen Margot Robbie before but she certainly is gorgeous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »

I'm up and on the phone with Apple - trying to figure out why the Time Capsule is blinking amber when it should be green - it's working fine, which means it's probably time for an update but I can't find it in system preferences to do the update.  So, I'm waiting for the Time Capsule expert.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

Update complete and all is well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »

And well is all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

Next time I'll remember that you have to go into applications and then time capsule to do this - can't get to it from system preferences.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I let myself sleep in a little bit this morning. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »

And I still can't believe I got "pulled over" for jaywalking last night. Thankfully, I think my "I'm from New York City" excuse(?) worked. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »

Next time I'll remember that you have to go into applications and then time capsule to do this - can't get to it from system preferences.

bk - You should be able to click on the Apple icon in the top left corner, and then select "Software Update". Otherwise, you should also be able to set your computer to automatically check for updates every week or so.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

~~~~~ANTI-COLD VIBES FOR THE DM OF DR GINNY~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

~~~~~DENTAL APPOINTMENT VIBES TO DR RON PULLIAM~~~~~~

*Do you at least still get to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest" in the waiting room on your way back? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »

And...

Now I need to head out for a walk - obeying all local traffic and pedestrian laws - and maybe grab a cup of coffee and/or a bite to eat some place.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

bk - You should be able to click on the Apple icon in the top left corner, and then select "Software Update". Otherwise, you should also be able to set your computer to automatically check for updates every week or so.

For whatever reasons, the time capsule never shows up under software updates - never has.  You have to go into applications and click on the icon and then you see that it wants to do it.  I checked on the Software Update last night - nothing there.  And I do get auto notified when updates are available.  It's weird.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »

*Do you at least still get to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest" in the waiting room on your way back? ;)

No.   But my dentist is funny and she laughs at my jokes snarks.   ;D

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

Ditto.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »

Ditto.

See above... ;)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »

Yahoo has an interesting story on the worst covers of Life magazine, which includes a photo of Kaye Ballard in "The Golden Apple",

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/life-s-20-worst-covers-1321377938-slideshow/

One of the covers mentions a Rodgers & Hammerstein Christmas song, which Peter Filichia says was a stand-alone piece called "Merry Christmas, Little Friend." Does anybody know the song or know of a recording? 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »

Following previous discussion about losing cars in car parks, I downloaded a free Application for my phone "Find Your Car" which I've tested and seems to work OK. It's also handy for guiding you back to any location such as a hotel - I could have done with it when I got lost in Bilbao last week. Also a lot cheaper than those GPS key chains.
Nice App.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

Yahoo has an interesting story on the worst covers of Life magazine, which includes a photo of Kaye Ballard in "The Golden Apple",

One of the covers mentions a Rodgers & Hammerstein Christmas song, which Peter Filichia says was a stand-alone piece called "Merry Christmas, Little Friend." Does anybody know the song or know of a recording? 

It's called Happy Christmas, Little Friend. It seems to be available as sheet music on line but I can't find a recording. Rosemary Clooney sang it on a Christmas album and there are many references all over the Web when you look for Happy, not Merry.

Happy Christmas, Little Friend

FJL

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »

It's called Happy Christmas, Little Friend. It seems to be available as sheet music on line but I can't find a recording. Rosemary Clooney sang it on a Christmas album and there are many references all over the Web when you look for Happy, not Merry.

Happy Christmas, Little Friend

Not to be confused with Happy Christmas, Little Lamb

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »

And I still can't believe I got "pulled over" for jaywalking last night. Thankfully, I think my "I'm from New York City" excuse(?) worked. ::)

You are in California so I'm not surprised you got pulled over for jaywalking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up