Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE  (Read 12871 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »

~~~~~DENTAL APPOINTMENT VIBES TO DR RON PULLIAM~~~~~~

*Do you at least still get to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest" in the waiting room on your way back? ;)

No.   But my dentist is funny and she laughs at my jokes snarks.   ;D

:D  Hope all goes well!!!

Jane

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

DR Ginny how is your mother?

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »

DRs Jose and Jane - thanks for asking about my Mom.  Her doctor found no reason to suspect anything more serious than a chest cold, so he's called for an antibiotic that I'll go pick up and deliver to her.  When I called about an hour ago, the pharmacy had not yet heard from the doctor's office, so I'll check again pretty soon.  It's too far away to just head out before I know the order is ready.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »

And I still can't believe I got "pulled over" for jaywalking last night. Thankfully, I think my "I'm from New York City" excuse(?) worked. ::)

You are in California so I'm not surprised you got pulled over for jaywalking.

I am, but it's because in Oakland you never see ANYONE in law enforcement on the streets.  Folks jaywalk ALL the time here and never get ticketed for it.  It's because our police force is decimated.   Many police forces in small cities no longer exist...they use County sheriffs and even they don't patrol the streets.

L.A. has, apparently, not been affected.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »

I just finished my pre-dentist lunch:  A tuna salad on toasted sourdough.  Yum.

I'll savor it for a few more minutes and then I'll go brush and floss.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »

Yahoo has an interesting story on the worst covers of Life magazine, which includes a photo of Kaye Ballard in "The Golden Apple",

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/life-s-20-worst-covers-1321377938-slideshow/

One of the covers mentions a Rodgers & Hammerstein Christmas song, which Peter Filichia says was a stand-alone piece called "Merry Christmas, Little Friend." Does anybody know the song or know of a recording? 

The song was also called "Happy Birthday, Little Friend." It was written for a Helen Hayes comedy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »

TOD - this is probably the dietary category that's changed most drastically in the aftermath of my heart attack.  I used to love chips and salsa, cheese & crackers, and salty snacks like potato chips and mixed nuts.  I've eliminated the high-fat, high-sodium items and now eat baby carrots instead of chips with my salsa and I roast my own unsalted almonds.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

Yahoo has an interesting story on the worst covers of Life magazine, which includes a photo of Kaye Ballard in "The Golden Apple",

One of the covers mentions a Rodgers & Hammerstein Christmas song, which Peter Filichia says was a stand-alone piece called "Merry Christmas, Little Friend." Does anybody know the song or know of a recording? 

The song was also called "Happy Birthday, Little Friend." It was written for a Helen Hayes comedy.

Ah, recycling.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »

It's called Happy Christmas, Little Friend. It seems to be available as sheet music on line but I can't find a recording. Rosemary Clooney sang it on a Christmas album and there are many references all over the Web when you look for Happy, not Merry.

Happy Christmas, Little Friend

Thank you, Ben. I will check that out tonight with FJL's video. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »

It's called Happy Christmas, Little Friend. It seems to be available as sheet music on line but I can't find a recording. Rosemary Clooney sang it on a Christmas album and there are many references all over the Web when you look for Happy, not Merry.

Happy Christmas, Little Friend

Not to be confused with Happy Christmas, Little Lamb

Or the edible version: Happy Christmas, Little Lamb Chop (Ho-ho-hold the Jolly Mint Jelly)
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »

Sheesh!  I called the pharmacy again and they still had not heard from Mom's doctor's office.  So, I called there and they said, "Oh, we'll call that in right now!"  So, I'm off to a far-away Kroger - bye for now!

Doug R

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »

And I still can't believe I got "pulled over" for jaywalking last night. Thankfully, I think my "I'm from New York City" excuse(?) worked. ::)

There's no such word as jaywalking or any such offence in the UK.  I see tourists standing by the side of the road waiting for the lights to tell them to cross but we locals just wander across the road whenever we feel like it.  ;D

John G.

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

I got ticketed for jaywalking once in Cincinnati. I thought it was a joke and never paid the ticket. Forgot about it. Three years later, I got stopped for speeding and they hauled me in for the unpaid jaywalking ticket. I was in for an hour or two until friends with my ATM card got me out.

So, I did the crime and I did the time. 
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

TOD: I used to snack on crisps a lot but hardly ever eat them now. I suppose I stopped because I began to think that they weren't healthy. Nowadays I snack mainly on nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts) and biscuits. Oddly enough, I used to snack far more at the office when I was working, than I do now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

I just joined a site on the claims that they had a 1961 British broadcast which, it turns out,  is not on the site after you've registered. I just called them frauds and demanded they cancel the membership ASAP. Oy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »

And the word of the day is: BIBLIOPHAGE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  A TRIP TO THE LIBRARY

That's exactly what I thought the song was going to be!! :-)
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »

DR Jane wrote:

DR Jennifer I'm sorry you had a bad day at the library.  Maybe the nice librarian was having one too or was stressed with work when you approached her.  While a library should be thrilled to have avid readers I wouldn't be surprised if you do request more books than anyone else     It is a shame you can't submit all this on-line.

We can do everything online now except submit suggestions. If i were to wait until the library received the books i could reserve them all online.

I do wish we could do everything online. IT's stupid to have to hand in papers.

DR Jane, I am sure that i submit more suggestions than anybody else. That is for sure.  I don't feel bad because i am not telling them they have to buy the books, only that i want to read them.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »

Yesterday DR FJL wrote:

Ron - I'm confused about the respect factor on DWTS.

Are Carrie Ann, Len and Bruno somehow ABOVE the professional dancers (or anybody) in the hierarchy in that proper respect (in terms of human decency) is due to them but not due from them to others?  Is there some manner in which they're not all just performers on the show all there together to make for a successful TV show?

I obviously have a different opinion that DR Ron P. But here are my 2 cents.

I don't think that the judges are above the professional dancers. They are there to critique the celebrities. All the professional dancers are amazing. They choreograph and teach and are truly fantastic.

I think that the judges have a tough job. Because they want to critique the celebs. But it's hard when they have all different levels of abilities.  And they want to be entertaining.

I think for the most part the judges try not to be too mean. But occasionally what they say hurts the celebs (take Chaz Bono for instance - Bruno called him a name and he was very upset by it).

RE: Len and Maks' feud that started all this.  Len was a bit mean. He was calling it like he saw it. But it was a bit harsh.  I think Maks' comment was harsh too. But i did like how he protected his partner.  The part about Maks saying it is his show, i feel like some of that was a language issue. I really don't think he meant that show was his. But that he was a big part of the show (having been on every season- and he's a fan favorite).

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

Ron - re DWTS

Well, I'm not saying it's tit for tat.  I'm talking about an overall air of free-for-all disrespect that's set when (examples) Bruno would liken Chaz Bono to a penguin or an Ewok, or what Len did to Nancy Grace (whom I admit I don't like that much in her news work, but she deserved better than that "you've been like Cinderella at the ball all these weeks, now it's time to go home" last week.  But she's classy in some respects and was in the audience this week, wasn't she?)

I sometimes make fun at Skip taking TV drama series seriously, and he sometimes laughs at me taking DWTS so seriously.  Much of this was "good television" - at least I found it gripping at times, and much of this season's DWTS was appointment must-see-live TV for me.

I agree with you DR FJL. But i guess sometimes they try to be funny. They just hurt people's feelings (although i think unintentionally).

One thing that i think Maks was right about is that the judges score some people based on their own ability. I think that Chaz and Nancy both got higher scores than they probably deserved. And to me Hope had more ability than them. But they were perfoming as good as they were capable of performing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »

*Do you at least still get to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest" in the waiting room on your way back? ;)

Back at work.  All went well.  This was much less complicated and moved far more quickly than did last week's session.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »

I've already gotten a tidal wave of angry emails (OK, just two) saying my SMILE parody on YouTube is unfair to Carrie Ann.  i should just be so lucky that it upset people enough that the video might go viral - LOL! 

But really, it just seemed like something silly and worth laughing and parodying about, that Carrie Ann berated Maks for SMILING! 

So here's a "Smile parody" about Maks vs Carrie Ann on Dancing with the Stars - all in fun, really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ves12pka4I

Love it!

Okay it does make Carrie Ann look mean. And she seems like a nice person. I honestly think that she thought Maks was being disrespectful. I personally thought he was smiling because he was happy that he and Hope were in the semi finals and that they got thru the dance. but because of what happened in previous weeks i can totally see why she thought he was smirking.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

Yesterday DR FJL wrote:

Ron - I'm confused about the respect factor on DWTS.

Are Carrie Ann, Len and Bruno somehow ABOVE the professional dancers (or anybody) in the hierarchy in that proper respect (in terms of human decency) is due to them but not due from them to others?  Is there some manner in which they're not all just performers on the show all there together to make for a successful TV show?

I obviously have a different opinion that DR Ron P. But here are my 2 cents.

I don't think that the judges are above the professional dancers. They are there to critique the celebrities. All the professional dancers are amazing. They choreograph and teach and are truly fantastic.

I think that the judges have a tough job. Because they want to critique the celebs. But it's hard when they have all different levels of abilities.  And they want to be entertaining.

I think for the most part the judges try not to be too mean. But occasionally what they say hurts the celebs (take Chaz Bono for instance - Bruno called him a name and he was very upset by it).

RE: Len and Maks' feud that started all this.  Len was a bit mean. He was calling it like he saw it. But it was a bit harsh.  I think Maks' comment was harsh too. But i did like how he protected his partner.  The part about Maks saying it is his show, i feel like some of that was a language issue. I really don't think he meant that show was his. But that he was a big part of the show (having been on every season- and he's a fan favorite).

I'm not quite sure why Chaz was hurt by what Bruno said.  Chaz had just danced a really bad dance to music from the "Phantom of the Opera".  He was in white tie and a tux jacket.  All he did was kick his feet out.  His partner was dancing and Chaz looked like he was auditioning to be a Rockette.  Bruno told Chaz he looked like a penguin on the dance floor.  And truth is, he did.  I found it funny.  I'm quite certain Chaz has been subjected to a lot of hurtful verbiage in his short lifetime....and being likened to looking like a penguin in his getup on that dance floor should not rank "way up there" as being "hurtful", IMO.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »

I have to be at work this morning at 8:30 am...that's much too early for me.  A rep from our biggest book vendor will be giving some sort of demonstration at 9:00 am and I need to be there before she does to make sure that things are set up and ready to go.  I don't like being at work that early. :P But I must.

Good night. 8)

Well, I was able to get (almost) enough sleep but I did get to work at about 8:35.  The rep (Amy) got there and we got everything set up and demo (for downloadable e-books) went well.  Then I gave Amy a little tour of our technical services department here at the Service Center and then she left.

Now that I've had lunch, I just have to get some ordering done, then I need to pay some invoices.  All in a day's work. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »

LOL.....Carrie Ann was telling Maks that Hope's awkward lifts were HIS fault not HERS.

DR JENNIFER how could Hopeless NOT know she was wearing a microphone pak....that is impossible.  And she is NOT a nice person - didn't you see the part of the story about her dissing her coach years ago? 

Maks and Hope were the perfect pair - two out of control egos struggling to be top dog in the pair and neither one accepting the fact that they have weaknesses.

I hope Maks is gone next year....although I have a feeling that reality TV has a Jayne Mansfield/Kardashian response to bad publicity - it IS publicity....people are talking about me....that's what's important.

Of couse Hope knew that there was a mike. But i feel like maybe she forgot.

I didn't feel like she was totally in the wrong re: what she said about her coach. She was wrong to go public. But I think she just wanted to play.

I hope Maks stays. He is one of my favorite pros.  I think because he's not American he just sometimes comes across as a bit rough. But i think he is great. Love him.

He was actually on that CW show with Mario Lopez where somebody hates a celeb and then they get to spend time with them. There was this woman who hated Maks. She thought he was arrogant and rude. She got to spend a few days with him. He taught her how to dance. And she realized that what she thought was mostly because of the media and that he really was a patient wonderful teacher.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »

DR Ron, I don't remember the exact words that Bruno used re: Chaz. But it wasn't just that he was a penguin. It was more like a rolly polly penguin. I think he was offended because he was trying his hardest. And to be thought of a as a big fat penguin made him angry.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »

I am, but it's because in Oakland you never see ANYONE in law enforcement on the streets.  Folks jaywalk ALL the time here and never get ticketed for it.  It's because our police force is decimated.   Many police forces in small cities no longer exist...they use County sheriffs and even they don't patrol the streets.

L.A. has, apparently, not been affected.

Maybe I should have said L.A., not California.  I remember not jay walking to avoid getting a ticket, that or looking carefully for a cop first.

It is a shame your police force is so reduced.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »

There's no such word as jaywalking or any such offence in the UK.  I see tourists standing by the side of the road waiting for the lights to tell them to cross but we locals just wander across the road whenever we feel like it.  ;D

;D 

It is possible the tourists notice the locals crossing & wait as they don't trust the drivers ;)

Michael

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »

Rosemary Clooney recorded  the song on Songs From WHite Christmas (& Other Yuletide Favorites)) and the correct title is

Happy Christmas Little Friend:

Here are the lyrics

The soft morning light of a pale winter's sun
is tracing the trees on the snow
Leap up little friend and fly down the stairs
For Christmas is waiting below
There's a tree in the room
running over with stars
that twinkle and sing to your eyes
and under the tree there are presents that say
Unwrap me and get a surprise

Happy Christmas Little Friend
May your heart be laughing all day
May your joy be a dream
You'll remember as the years
roll along on their way
As the years roll along on their way
You'll be showing your own kid a tree
Then at last my friend
You'll know how happy a Christmas can be
how happy a Christmas can be
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

DR Jane wrote:

DR Jennifer I'm sorry you had a bad day at the library.  Maybe the nice librarian was having one too or was stressed with work when you approached her.  While a library should be thrilled to have avid readers I wouldn't be surprised if you do request more books than anyone else     It is a shame you can't submit all this on-line.

We can do everything online now except submit suggestions. If i were to wait until the library received the books i could reserve them all online.

I do wish we could do everything online. IT's stupid to have to hand in papers.

DR Jane, I am sure that i submit more suggestions than anybody else. That is for sure.  I don't feel bad because i am not telling them they have to buy the books, only that i want to read them.

Come to think of it I have to submit requests in person which is why I don't do it.  I think their secret complaint isn't that you turn in so many requests but that you track the requests & catch their errors.  Maybe a plate of cookies in & a nice note will soften their attitude.

I miss reading just released books on a regular basis but there are so many books out there to read I have more than enough reading material.  With ebooks I'll be reading more recently books than before but of course I'll be paying for the privilege.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »

Back at work.  All went well.  This was much less complicated and moved far more quickly than did last week's session.

Good news!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up