Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE  (Read 13055 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: COME RAIN OR COME SHINE
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »

Yesterday DR FJL wrote:

Ron - I'm confused about the respect factor on DWTS.

Are Carrie Ann, Len and Bruno somehow ABOVE the professional dancers (or anybody) in the hierarchy in that proper respect (in terms of human decency) is due to them but not due from them to others?  Is there some manner in which they're not all just performers on the show all there together to make for a successful TV show?

I obviously have a different opinion that DR Ron P. But here are my 2 cents.

I don't think that the judges are above the professional dancers. They are there to critique the celebrities. All the professional dancers are amazing. They choreograph and teach and are truly fantastic.

I think that the judges have a tough job. Because they want to critique the celebs. But it's hard when they have all different levels of abilities.  And they want to be entertaining.

I think for the most part the judges try not to be too mean. But occasionally what they say hurts the celebs (take Chaz Bono for instance - Bruno called him a name and he was very upset by it).

RE: Len and Maks' feud that started all this.  Len was a bit mean. He was calling it like he saw it. But it was a bit harsh.  I think Maks' comment was harsh too. But i did like how he protected his partner.  The part about Maks saying it is his show, i feel like some of that was a language issue. I really don't think he meant that show was his. But that he was a big part of the show (having been on every season- and he's a fan favorite).

I'm not quite sure why Chaz was hurt by what Bruno said.  Chaz had just danced a really bad dance to music from the "Phantom of the Opera".  He was in white tie and a tux jacket.  All he did was kick his feet out.  His partner was dancing and Chaz looked like he was auditioning to be a Rockette.  Bruno told Chaz he looked like a penguin on the dance floor.  And truth is, he did.  I found it funny.  I'm quite certain Chaz has been subjected to a lot of hurtful verbiage in his short lifetime....and being likened to looking like a penguin in his getup on that dance floor should not rank "way up there" as being "hurtful", IMO.

I can understand why you laughed & I don't doubt he looked like a penguin, but when I read the comments I felt bad for Chaz.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

I've already gotten a tidal wave of angry emails (OK, just two) saying my SMILE parody on YouTube is unfair to Carrie Ann.  i should just be so lucky that it upset people enough that the video might go viral - LOL! 

But really, it just seemed like something silly and worth laughing and parodying about, that Carrie Ann berated Maks for SMILING! 

So here's a "Smile parody" about Maks vs Carrie Ann on Dancing with the Stars - all in fun, really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ves12pka4I

That's funny!  As Bette Midler says, "F*uck 'em if they can't take a joke!"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

I've already gotten a tidal wave of angry emails (OK, just two) saying my SMILE parody on YouTube is unfair to Carrie Ann.  i should just be so lucky that it upset people enough that the video might go viral - LOL! 

But really, it just seemed like something silly and worth laughing and parodying about, that Carrie Ann berated Maks for SMILING! 

So here's a "Smile parody" about Maks vs Carrie Ann on Dancing with the Stars - all in fun, really!

I put a like on the video.

Funny I thought it was going to be the other Smile from the musical of the same name.

Actually, so did I. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »

DR Ron, I don't remember the exact words that Bruno used re: Chaz. But it wasn't just that he was a penguin. It was more like a rolly polly penguin. I think he was offended because he was trying his hardest. And to be thought of a as a big fat penguin made him angry.

Adding to that, in the context of Bruno having called Chaz a basketball and an Ewok in other critiques, I get the sense that Bruno lacks tact.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Los Feliz!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »

I put a like on the video.

Funny I thought it was going to be the other Smile from the musical of the same name.

Actually, so did I. :D

George, thanks, and thanks for watching!!!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

I'm currently at Bru Coffee Bar enjoying a latte. Before I settled in here, I had lunch with our very own bk, Adryan Russ and our stage manager, Tony, at Fred 62. It was quite a yummilicious lunch. And since bk said I would, I went ahead and posted pics of our lunch on Facebook and Twitter. ;)

Btw, bk was the one who ordered the Breakfast Burrito AND the Flapjacks. -The flapjacks took the place of a slice of pie today, since House of Pies was right across the street.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »

DRs Jose and Jane - thanks for asking about my Mom.  Her doctor found no reason to suspect anything more serious than a chest cold, so he's called for an antibiotic that I'll go pick up and deliver to her.  When I called about an hour ago, the pharmacy had not yet heard from the doctor's office, so I'll check again pretty soon.  It's too far away to just head out before I know the order is ready.

DR Ginny - Glad to hear that all is well with your mother, and that the prescription was finally called in.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

And I still can't believe I got "pulled over" for jaywalking last night. Thankfully, I think my "I'm from New York City" excuse(?) worked. ::)

You are in California so I'm not surprised you got pulled over for jaywalking.

Well, at least all I got last night was a "talking to". I sensed that the policemen wered bored. They were probably out on the lookout for the drag racers that have been going up and down Brand Ave. I had actually pushed the "Walk" button at the crosswalk, waited two minutes, then when the light had not yet changed yet, I looked both ways, then crossed the street. As soon at my foot hit the other curb, I heard the police siren/blip. In a sense, it was kind of comical. However, it was nice to know that they actually enforce things like that out here.

Now I know.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

I WISH they would cite jaywalkers here in Phoenix. I'm surprised more pedestrians aren't killed.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »

And now that I've latte'd up, I'm going to walk down to LACC.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

Pedestrians will cross at any point in the road here. Crosswalks are only a suggestion, it seems. They will also stand in the middle of the street.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »

DRs Jose and Jane - thanks for asking about my Mom.  Her doctor found no reason to suspect anything more serious than a chest cold, so he's called for an antibiotic that I'll go pick up and deliver to her.  When I called about an hour ago, the pharmacy had not yet heard from the doctor's office, so I'll check again pretty soon.  It's too far away to just head out before I know the order is ready.

Will an antibiotic really help a chest cold?  I hope so.  Best wishes to her.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »

I'm currently at Bru Coffee Bar enjoying a latte. Before I settled in here, I had lunch with our very own bk, Adryan Russ and our stage manager, Tony, at Fred 62. It was quite a yummilicious lunch. And since bk said I would, I went ahead and posted pics of our lunch on Facebook and Twitter. ;)

Btw, bk was the one who ordered the Breakfast Burrito AND the Flapjacks. -The flapjacks took the place of a slice of pie today, since House of Pies was right across the street.

I was wondering what that was with the flapjacks.  I'm guessing they were ordered separately & not on the menu together.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »

I heard someone recently received a ticket in town.  We jaywalk there all the time.  It is easy to see if traffic is coming on a one way street.  We also find it annoying the pedestrian light turns red long before the green light turns yellow, totally unnecessary on small streets.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »

That's funny!  As Bette Midler says, "F*uck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

George, the CD arrived today! Thank you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

DR Jane wrote:
Come to think of it I have to submit requests in person which is why I don't do it.  I think their secret complaint isn't that you turn in so many requests but that you track the requests & catch their errors.  Maybe a plate of cookies in & a nice note will soften their attitude.

I miss reading just released books on a regular basis but there are so many books out there to read I have more than enough reading material.  With ebooks I'll be reading more recently books than before but of course I'll be paying for the privilege.

DR Jane, maybe you are right (about the reason they are annoyed).  I don't think this librarian was annoyed (not like the lady in charge who definitely is annoyed with me). I don't even think the lady meant to be rude (not like the other lady who is rude). It's just the way she said it that hurt my feelings.

There are too many librarians to feed!  And the older lady meant think i put something in them!

That is funny that you have to suggest books in person too. :)

However one difference is that we can reserve books online after the library has received them. I believe your library puts the books in their system as soon as they order them (or at least well in advance).

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »

I didn't think it was jaywalking if you cross at the crosswalk.

Here jaywalking is when you cross in the middle of a street!  People do this all the time and are never ticketed.  I only dislike it when people do it dangerously. But what DR Jose described was not dangerous. And it was at a crosswalk!

Last week after dark a bicycle jayrode across the middle of 6 lane traffic, while i was stopped at the red light. He crossed in the middle of the street (3 lanes each way). No helmut. I was stunned. What he did was so dangerous. It was ridiculous.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

Yes, once they have been ordered I an place a hold on the book.  I think that is a good idea so people don't bother the librarians with requests for books that have already been ordered. ;)

The book I'm first in line for that was published on the 8th is still listed as "in-progress"  With luck is will be available just as I finish reading, via the Nook, THE LAND OF PAINTED CAVES.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »

Ron - re DWTS

Well, I'm not saying it's tit for tat.  I'm talking about an overall air of free-for-all disrespect that's set when (examples) Bruno would liken Chaz Bono to a penguin or an Ewok, or what Len did to Nancy Grace (whom I admit I don't like that much in her news work, but she deserved better than that "you've been like Cinderella at the ball all these weeks, now it's time to go home" last week.  But she's classy in some respects and was in the audience this week, wasn't she?)

I sometimes make fun at Skip taking TV drama series seriously, and he sometimes laughs at me taking DWTS so seriously.  Much of this was "good television" - at least I found it gripping at times, and much of this season's DWTS was appointment must-see-live TV for me.

I didn't watch this season, but I did read Bruno's comment to Chaz, which I thought was extremely rude.  Apparently Bruno gets away with it, because he is such a goof ball.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »

Here jaywalking is when you cross in the middle of a street!  People do this all the time and are never ticketed.  I only dislike it when people do it dangerously. But what DR Jose described was not dangerous. And it was at a crosswalk!

Last week after dark a bicycle jayrode across the middle of 6 lane traffic, while i was stopped at the red light. He crossed in the middle of the street (3 lanes each way). No helmut. I was stunned. What he did was so dangerous. It was ridiculous.

What about when you cross at the crosswalk against the light?
I like that, jayroad. :)  Definitely an idiot.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

I thought it was great.  Would you prefer an angry letter?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »

Well DR JOSE does, but he is the exception.

I believe that is "Had Them All."
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »

Yes, once they have been ordered I an place a hold on the book.  I think that is a good idea so people don't bother the librarians with requests for books that have already been ordered. ;)

The book I'm first in line for that was published on the 8th is still listed as "in-progress"  With luck is will be available just as I finish reading, via the Nook, THE LAND OF PAINTED CAVES.

:)

Well i do like to get the new releases first.

But there is no way to know which books have been ordered unless i went to the nice older lady and asked her book by book.

But like i said we can't reserve online until the book is at the library.

And even though my library makes errors they are still amazing. They buy 95% of the books i request. They process the books very quickly after they get them. I am very lucky. It would cost a lot of buy all the books i take out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »

It's Thursday in Oakland CA.

Have my next dentist appointment this afternoon.

I am SO looking forward to it.

Not.

Dentist vibes for Ron~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »

DR Jennifer 95% is very good.  Do you ever purchase the other 5%?

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

What about when you cross at the crosswalk against the light?
I like that, jayroad. :)  Definitely an idiot.

I don't walk very often in busy areas where there are crosswalks. I mostly bike.

I have seen people cross when the lights are red. but most of the streets that have crosswalks are very busy. So there are always cars coming. But i don't think i would consider that jaywalking. People here run across 6 lane busy streets in the middle of the road. It is fairly dangerous. To me that is the true meaning of jaywalking.

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »

DR Jennifer 95% is very good.  Do you ever purchase the other 5%?

95% is just a guesstimate. I really have no idea.

I actually win quite a lot of books. And if my library does not have a series that i want to read, i check my sister's library before making my library order it. If my sister's library has it i just ask her to take it for me.

So i am quite nice actually. :)

If they don't have the book they can request an inter-library loan which i think they did twice. Once they did it from across the country (which was no practical). ANd the dumb part is they ended up buying the series. And once they did it from across town without even telling me (the book just showed up).

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

I think I will go to the pool at the gym (YMCA) tomorrow & find out if I'm still capable of swimming the one armed crawl.

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

Ron - re DWTS

Well, I'm not saying it's tit for tat.  I'm talking about an overall air of free-for-all disrespect that's set when (examples) Bruno would liken Chaz Bono to a penguin or an Ewok, or what Len did to Nancy Grace (whom I admit I don't like that much in her news work, but she deserved better than that "you've been like Cinderella at the ball all these weeks, now it's time to go home" last week.  But she's classy in some respects and was in the audience this week, wasn't she?)

I sometimes make fun at Skip taking TV drama series seriously, and he sometimes laughs at me taking DWTS so seriously.  Much of this was "good television" - at least I found it gripping at times, and much of this season's DWTS was appointment must-see-live TV for me.

I didn't watch this season, but I did read Bruno's comment to Chaz, which I thought was extremely rude.  Apparently Bruno gets away with it, because he is such a goof ball.

I think when you read the comments it comes across as meaner. Bruno is so over the top that he uses words that are elaborate. But he gives hand gestures and acts out what he says.

But since Chaz was upset, obviously he went too far. But it was sort of funny for the at home viewer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up