Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT WILL BE THAT  (Read 14509 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THAT WILL BE THAT
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »

DR ELMORE what style of music IS Lysistrata Jones?

Very contemporary pop, I would call it, transformed into a theatrical idiom.. It sounds like stuff I would never listen to if I were twisting a radio dial. I can't imagine the characters in the show performing much else and I thought it worked really well here. Would I buy a cast album? I don't know.

...with a nice dash of hip-hop.

There are a couple of audio and video clips on the show's WEBSITE.

I didn't realize until I read the program bios that Lewis, the composer, was Doug's life partner. He was living with a costumer during his Drama Book Shop days. I met Lewis last night. He's very talented.

Programs should ALWAYS be read.  Info there is invaluable.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »

Page Three Supercar Dance.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

I had a nice surprise this week.

Every few months, I do a Google of my father, who died in the late 1960s and every now-and-then I come up with something new about him that I didn't know.  [Everybody should try this.  It's a great way to come up with family histories.]

This week, I discovered that, back in 1919, Dad had written and copyrighted a song, "Encouragement".

[Actually, as a child, I recall seeing a torn copy of the sheet music in out piano bench, but I never paid much attention to it and I have no idea what became of it.]

In any event, I contacted the Library of Congress and the nice lady there is sending me a photocopy of the song.

Now, I just need to find somebody who can play the piano and sing it for me, possibly as a MP3 file.

BK?

::)

Maybe I'll turn it into a music video.

That's a great story.

It is!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »

Beautiful photo, DougR. Almost makes me want to be London. (I'd rather be on a beach somewhere.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »

Having dinner with friends tonight. It's become a Thanksgiving Eve tradition among us. We find a place that lets us bring in a bottle of wine and then we sit for hours being thankful for each other's friendship through the years. In the past, it was at the best French restaurant in the country (actually the No. 6 best restaurant in the country according to Gourmet magazine), but that place closed and is no more, so we have tried a few other places since. Tonight is a Cajun/French/Texas place. Should be fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »

Back home for some holiday cocooning.  We have a 21 pound turkey chilling out in the fridge.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »

Al Goodman was a Romberg conductor. He conducted THE NEW MOON on Broadway in 1928.

I've got this Al Goodman LP. Pity it's not on CD:

Doug R

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »

Beautiful photo, DougR. Almost makes me want to be London. (I'd rather be on a beach somewhere.)

The temperature is so mild in London at the moment - you can close your eyes and think you're on the beach  ;D

Doug R

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

~~~~~WORKING TECH VIBES FOR DR DOUG R~~~~~

Muchas gracias Jose. I can already sense the household electronic gadgets withstanding the evil influences and settling into a state of grace and workability.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »

I thought I'd better test my new camera last night. Here's a shot of the London Christmas lights:

:o Hey, they're all driving on the wrong side of the street!!

Oh, wait...it's England. ::)

Nevermind. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »

Having dinner with friends tonight. It's become a Thanksgiving Eve tradition among us. We find a place that lets us bring in a bottle of wine and then we sit for hours being thankful for each other's friendship through the years. In the past, it was at the best French restaurant in the country (actually the No. 6 best restaurant in the country according to Gourmet magazine), but that place closed and is no more, so we have tried a few other places since. Tonight is a Cajun/French/Texas place. Should be fun.

Which French restaurant closed? Aquarelle? Chez Nous? Justine's? ???

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »

Barbara Brown, our aunt Mamie, posted this shot of the Hilton Head house where I stayed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »

Nice digs, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »

Very classy DR ELMORE.....did they put up a plaque?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »

Very classy DR ELMORE.....did they put up a plaque?

I hope not! the whole conclave looked like this; it was like a theme park.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Doug R

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »

~~~~~WORKING TECH VIBES FOR DR DOUG R~~~~~

Muchas gracias Jose. I can already sense the household electronic gadgets withstanding the evil influences and settling into a state of grace and workability.

What did I say?  Thanks to your vibes Jose, my DVD player is already recording again, saving me from having to take it back to the store  :)

Ben

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »

Afternoon all.

We are on Long Island.

We had an easy train ride. We then went to Wal-Mart. I then took a nap. We are having roast pork for dinner. Tomorrow we will have a turkey the size of a small child. And many other things (we will have with the turkey).

Larry, glad to hear you're going to F & S's (that's Fred and Skip's).

Bye.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »

Wow! I just got in today's mail the second disc of EILEEN. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »

Sounds like DR BEN is going to have a good time!

Isn't tonight the night that DR JOHNG is on TOP CHEF: Texas?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »

Wow! I just got in today's mail the second disc of EILEEN. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score.

ONE POINT for the USPS!

Obviously it had someone else's address on it and was delivered to you by mistake.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »

I hope DR JMK's cleaning crew did the trick.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »

I didn't think we'd hear Act Three until after January when we record the boys choir, so I'm happlly surprised to get the edit. Even without the altar boys.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »

Everything is going wrong lately. By "everything" I mean gadgets, appliances etc. A few days ago my Fuji camera went wrong only a few months outside of the guarantee. Fuji's on-line standard repair quote was ridiculously high compared to the original price of the camera, so I took advantage of their repair upgrade where they supply a new camera at a discounted price and they supply labels to send the old camera back.
At the same time my DVD recorder has stopped recording. At least it's still under guarantee so I can take it back to the shop for repair - but it's another inconvenience and will probably take weeks before I get it back.
Then, this morning, I switched on my bathroom fan heater but it refused to switch off! So the bathroom was soon reaching astonomical heat levels. I had to switch the house electricity off, open the cover and disconnect the cables. It looks like the plastic device holding the switch pull cord has broken but there's no way of repairing it, so I've had to order a complete new heater from Amazon which should be here tomorrow. 

Oh my!!!  NO MORE GADGETS BREAKING VIBES!!!!

Jane

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

Now they tell me department:  Just got an email with the subject line:  Russian Wives are BEST!!!

;D

Jane

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:03 PM »

I had a nice surprise this week.

Every few months, I do a Google of my father, who died in the late 1960s and every now-and-then I come up with something new about him that I didn't know.  [Everybody should try this.  It's a great way to come up with family histories.]

This week, I discovered that, back in 1919, Dad had written and copyrighted a song, "Encouragement".

[Actually, as a child, I recall seeing a torn copy of the sheet music in our piano bench, but I never paid much attention to it and I have no idea what became of it.]

In any event, I contacted the Library of Congress and the nice lady there is sending me a photocopy of the song.

Now, I just need to find somebody who can play the piano and sing it for me, possibly as a MP3 file.

BK?

::)

Maybe I'll turn it into a music video.

That is a wonderful story.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

Well, out of the blue, tomorrow's plans change for the better! Thank you, Skip and Fred.

When I read your first post I thought I bet you go to Fred & Skips. :)

Jane

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

DR Doug your camera is working just fine.  I was had the pleasure of spending time in London during December. 

Jane

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

R.I.P singer/actress Andrea True.....loved her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMXw40si80

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »

DR Jane, that brutal, murder in Ashland of the young grocery store clerk is horrifying.

Yes, you don't expect such a thing to happen in Ashland. And the police say it was a random act, which is really frightening.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up