Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FOUND TREASURES  (Read 8697 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FOUND TREASURES
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were found and had stuff about treasures, and now it is time for you to post until the found cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FOUND TREASURES
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROCELLOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »

Welcome sixty GUESTS.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »

Day 3:   I am sleepy.  The cat is out of the bag.  Even though I'm getting gracious doses of comfy sleep, I remain sleepy.  Either the three-hour difference is having its way with my behind, or I'm fighting off something.   As my sinuses are being very testy with me, I suspect the latter.

Day 2 was a bit of a continuation of Day 1 inasmuch as I was doing "Mr. Computer" duties.   My aunt was not to blame as she was off on a trip to Athens GA with a friend to see said friend's granddaughter graduate from the University of Georgia.

No, it was a little bit me and a little bit the computer and a little bit my mom.  I decided to add PC Speedy Recovery to my mom's computer.  While she was out and about in the morning. I started the download.  It didn't end for many hours.  Some 13,416 problems were identified and corrected.

After that, my mother got a long-awaited confirmation e-mail about her end-of-January 2012 trip to Jerusalem.  It was created in MS Works, had a .wps document tag, and her computer (MS XP software) wouldn't open it.  Thus began my search of the internet for "fixes".  I found one (MS-approved) that took its time downloading and discovered it would not work because it had nothing to "fix"....in other words, my mother's computer didn't have all its operating system's software downloaded.  Then, my mother remembered that her "regular" computer guy had cleaned her computer and then reinstalled software but that he didn't reinstall stuff she never used (or didn't think she'd ever use).  Until this e-mail arrived with a .wps document attached, she'd never needed to use the "Works Suite 2002" that was part of her core system.   Happily, she had all the discs.

Sigh.  I had thought my work was done after the PC Speedy Recovery finalized, but now I was into prime time (TV, that is) and missing a program I wanted to watch.  I finished in one hour and had time to watch "Grimm" after all.   My mom's .wps document opened, was printed and I thought all was fine.

"Grimm" started and more questions came about how to save photos (something we've been over "many" times before).

I have arrived at the conclusion that my being here is detrimental to my aunt's and my mom's willingness to experiment or think through these problems for themselves.

Double sigh.

Also during the course of yesterday, we drove to Edgefield to look at Christmas decorations and then visited lifelong friends for an hour and a half.

Overall, I got the gist of "Grimm", and I can use "On Demand" when I get home to catch up on what I did miss.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:09:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:43:03 AM »

P.S.  I did get the tree decorated Thursday evening.  And yesterday morning, I put icicles on it.  It looks splendid, will do the trick, and Christmas, it has arrived.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »

Congrats to DR GEORGE on 33,000 posts!

Great pictures from DR BEN!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 05:01:44 AM »

Congrats to the niece of DR GINNY on her graduation!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »

DR JANE thanks for the link to  the Variety obit for Miss Susan.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »

TOD:

So many!!!

Hitchcock:

Psycho

North By Northwest

Rear Window

BW:

Sunset Boulevard
Some Like It Hot
The Lost Weekend

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »

Hmmm.....I am getting extra lines in my posts. 
That's strange.
My cursor doesn't go to the next line after I press it, not until I start typing again.
Strange.

JOHN GRIFFIN was also the name of The Invisible Man......very strange.....I think someone is looking for the invisibility formula DR JOHN G!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »

And today is a work day.  Oh well.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 05:19:38 AM »

The paperback reprint edition of BASIL RATHBONE: His Life and His Films is now available on Amazon.

The hardback book was out-of-print for over 35 years and selling for as much as $100-$200 on-line.

Here is the book trailer for the paperback.  Music is by my son, David.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbuIXpEd0k&list=UUQ6z6vyjJFsiqL33qbiSJSQ&index=1&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:21:55 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »

TOD:

Hitchcock:

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (remake)
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
REAR WINDOW
DIAL M FOR MURDER

Wilder:

SUNSET BOULEVARD
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
THE APARTMENT
DOUBLE INDEMNITY

Favorite poster?

The collage of CASABLANCA on the wall behind me in the picture.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 06:08:14 AM »

Oatmeal with cinnamon, walnuts and strawberries and a cup of coffee.

Laura

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »

Oatmeal with brown sugar and banana.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 06:10:55 AM »

It's colder in Manhattan today, only in the 30s but it's not bad. I was out at 7:30 to go to the store and I was fine.

We have a quiet day (Anthony is wrapping a present to mail to a friend) ahead of us. We got some DVDs from the library yesterday (one was The Lady Vanishes, how apropos) and we will watch something before dinner with friends at the Good Stuff Diner, the official dining establishment of the East Coast Branch of HHW.

I'm off to do other things.

Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept in and now I'm stumbling about the ruins of the apartment, looking for all I need to take when I depart for Toyland shortly. I've got to scan the German lieder and send the pdf files to my friend Gary in Cologne for him to write the liner notes. Then at 2, I'm lunching with my friend Joseh Rubin, who's doing DEAREST ENEMY this summer in Akron, OH. I've got four pages of revised orchesta scores to hand him. I want to hear more about the New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players holiday production of THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE as well, since Joseph will make his official NY debut conducting some of the performances.

I was up far too late last night, playing at the computer, deleting a ton of old emails and dead files to acquire a few gigs of memory. I suspect the chief offender is my iTunes, which is taking up 4.38 gigs, but that stays. So, I had to do a backup before I started trashing things. I may have lost too much of my sent email, but that's life.

I hsve not managed to acquire a holiday mood, and that's frustrating. I've got a pile of packages I need to put into the post, but I haven't got things together to acquire priority post labels from the post office. I guess that's the curse of being bitter and humorless. :-*
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:57:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 06:45:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROCELLOUS!

And The Song of The Day Is: STORMY WEATHER

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 07:04:48 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's day 2 of Lauren's graduation festivities - an open house at her Mom's where we will meet Rob and Mary Linda after they pick up Gram (my mother) on their way from Cincinnati.  It will be a challenge to get her in the house because there are some steps, but Paramedic Rob and Quarterback Jim (Lauren's boyfriend) should be able to handle it.

Thank you to DRs FJL and JRand for nice comments made last night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 07:04:55 AM »

Had the big Saturday breakfast; egg, bacon, sausage, tomato and toast. Went out to do more Christmas shopping, during which I had a late lunch/early afternoon snack of a slice of lemon cake and coffee.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »

It took me a while to locate the Herbert lieder, but it's all ready to be scanned. I think that on my way to lunch with Joseph I will stop at the main post office branch and pick up a ton of priority mail labels, since I just learned that I have none.

So, off to Toyland.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »

It's Saturday.  And a lovely day it is.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I have my first matinee of My Fair Lady in about three hours. WHEEEEEE!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »

Herbert Lieder - didn't he play the father on Dennis the Menace on TV?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »

Yes it is a slow day at World of Wisdom so far.

I have several movie posters.....I am trying to think of one I would like to own....hmmmmm.....

Oh and I forgot

The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake) on my AH list.  Thanks to DR DRUXY for reminding me of it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »

As I was saying...

I headed to the theatre yesterday afternoon for a bit of practicing as well as a costume fitting of sorts - I'll be wearing a tail jacket. I think. A little while after I arrived, the other pianist arrived, and we did a play-thru of the score. It's a lot of notes and a lot of info to retain, but, as I was reminded when I watched the show last night, there's plenty of time to "look ahead and review" during the book scenes. And since they made basically no cuts to the book scenes, well, I'll have the time. -This production runs a solid three hours (including the intermission).
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »

During yesterday's graduation ceremony, the Miami president thanked the students for introducing him to Twitter.  He then snapped a photo from the podium:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »

I would like to own an original Attack of the 50 Foot Woman poster, of course.   I have a couple of reproductions  (one from Miss Susan as I posted earlier this week, so it is extra special to me) and the repro inserts A & B, but an original poster, if one even exists now....would probably sell for $1000 or more.

And of course at the bottom of all of my posters....the line:

Property of the National Screen Service. Licensed for use in connection with the exhibition of the titled film, and must be returned immediately after......  or some such.  Wonder what the NSS did with their paper.....I guess the posters followed the prints around the country.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »

There are lots of "old" friends and colleagues in the cast and crew, so I had a very warm welcome back last night too. And I know I'll have some great support in the wings and in the dressing rooms as I play the show this afternoon - and tonight. -And tomorrow afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up