Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITING, WRITING, WRITING  (Read 12969 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: WRITING, WRITING, WRITING
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »

Jane, you probably posted this, but what cruiseline were you on?  I have 4 weeks of vacation this year, and I'm wondering if maybe Betsy and I should abandon the kids and go on one.  :)

Paul Gauguin.

The first cruise I would suggest is an Alaskan cruise.  Fly to Alaska, tour to Danali Park, take the train to Anchorage & cruise down to Seattle.  I personally would recommend Princess over Holland America.  I don't know about the other lines that go there.  I bet DR TCB does.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

Jane, the Regatta is the twin of the ship I sailed on in Italy.  They are both part of Ocenia Cruises.  If you check out their web site, remember that the prices include round-trip air.

As did this cruise.  I believe your cruise was also all inclusive?  What did you think of the service, food, comfort, and appearance of your ship?

Jane/TCB

We Went On The NAUTICA which is The Sister Ship. The Cruise Was Great

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

Those Oceania cruises look great!

Mine was the best of the ten cruises I have taken over the years.

I will say that if I have a complaint about Oceania (and many would not consider a bad thing), is that I love the days onborad ship when we are at sea.  I find them totally relaxing because you have absolutely nothing that has to be done the whole day.  Oceania is very port oriented.  If you are on a ten day cruise, normally you will be in a different (or sometimes ) the same port every single day. They do a lot of overnight stays in ports, as well.  We did a two-day stop in Monte CArlo.  I missed having, at least, one day at sea.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

Jane, the Regatta is the twin of the ship I sailed on in Italy.  They are both part of Ocenia Cruises.  If you check out their web site, remember that the prices include round-trip air.

As did this cruise.  I believe your cruise was also all inclusive?  What did you think of the service, food, comfort, and appearance of your ship?

Jane/TCB

We Went On The NAUTICA which is The Sister Ship. The Cruise Was Great

Where did you go on that one?

Ginny

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

DR Jane - it was a thrill to see those familiar Rockwell images in their original forms.  The exhibit of the Four Freedoms was very effective - next to each poster was a blank space with headings like "Tell Us What 'Freedom from Want' Means to You."  There was a stack of Post-It notes on which museum goers could write their responses and those were very interesting to read.

The last segment of the exhibit is a room with all 323 of Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post covers framed and hung in chronological order.  It was fun to pick out the covers for issues closest to significant dates like birthdays and anniversaries.  It was also interesting to see the names of some of the famous authors who wrote for the magazine - P. G. Wodehouse, Edith Wharton, Sinclair Lewis, F. Scott Fitzgerald, etc.  My favorite cover was June 27, 1925 - a woman reading in a wing-back chair. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

I will say that if I have a complaint about Oceania (and many would not consider a bad thing), is that I love the days onborad ship when we are at sea.  I find them totally relaxing because you have absolutely nothing that has to be done the whole day.  Oceania is very port oriented.  If you are on a ten day cruise, normally you will be in a different (or sometimes ) the same port every single day. They do a lot of overnight stays in ports, as well.  We did a two-day stop in Monte CArlo.  I missed having, at least, one day at sea.

I like as few days at sea as possible.  I did enjoy the first day out at sea, to rest up & adjust to the time change, on our Baltic cruise.  I could have used another one after our exhausting but incredible two days in Saint Petersburg.

DR JMK our Baltic cruise was romantic, but then it was for our 40th anniversary.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Jane, I don't know how I missed the posts about Sherlock.  I am glad he is doing better.

Thank you.  How are you doing?  Did you have any appointments while I was away?

Ah yes!  I had a electro analysis test with a doctor who told me I would be a complete invalid for life.  Him, I didn't like.  Then I had my two MRIs, which turned out to be a piece of cake thanks to a very cool Technician.  However, the next day, I got a call from my surgeon's office telling me that my surgeon had reviewed the results and was turning me over to a different surgeon in his office.   The reason given was that the problem appears to be in the thoracic part of my spine, and my surgeon doesn't deal with that part of the spine.  I see this new sureon tomorrow.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

DR Jane - it was a thrill to see those familiar Rockwell images in their original forms.  The exhibit of the Four Freedoms was very effective - next to each poster was a blank space with headings like "Tell Us What 'Freedom from Want' Means to You."  There was a stack of Post-It notes on which museum goers could write their responses and those were very interesting to read.

The last segment of the exhibit is a room with all 323 of Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post covers framed and hung in chronological order.  It was fun to pick out the covers for issues closest to significant dates like birthdays and anniversaries.  It was also interesting to see the names of some of the famous authors who wrote for the magazine - P. G. Wodehouse, Edith Wharton, Sinclair Lewis, F. Scott Fitzgerald, etc.  My favorite cover was June 27, 1925 - a woman reading in a wing-back chair. 

:)

We went to his museum in Stockbridge, MA and were awed by his paintings.

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »

Speaking of cruises, here's the first installment of a blog from someone taking the same cruise we did - same boat, different time:

AmaLyra Live Voyage Report, Day 1
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

Jane, I don't know how I missed the posts about Sherlock.  I am glad he is doing better.

Ah yes!  I had a electro analysis test with a doctor who told me I would be a complete invalid for life.  Him, I didn't like. 

:(

Jane

« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »

Then I had my two MRIs, which turned out to be a piece of cake thanks to a very cool Technician. 

:)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »

I like as few days at sea as possible.  I did enjoy the first day out at sea, to rest up & adjust to the time change, on our Baltic cruise.  I could have used another one after our exhausting but incredible two days in Saint Petersburg.

DR JMK our Baltic cruise was romantic, but then it was for our 40th anniversary.

I think my next cruise will probably be either a transatlantic cruise (a lot of days at sea) or a Tahiti / Hawaii cruise.  That is if I can ever take another cruise.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »

However, the next day, I got a call from my surgeon's office telling me that my surgeon had reviewed the results and was turning me over to a different surgeon in his office.   The reason given was that the problem appears to be in the thoracic part of my spine, and my surgeon doesn't deal with that part of the spine.  I see this new sureon tomorrow.

Maybe this is good news as the other surgeon didn't seem to positive he could operate.

MEGA VIBES FOR POSITIVE NEWS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »

Speaking of cruises, here's the first installment of a blog from someone taking the same cruise we did - same boat, different time:

Oops, same boat, different route...

But the on-board photos make me nostalgic!

Jane

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

I think my next cruise will probably be either a transatlantic cruise (a lot of days at sea) or a Tahiti / Hawaii cruise.  That is if I can ever take another cruise.

You obviously have a stronger stomach than I do.  I would not want to do a major crossing.  Had this cruise been my first one I expect I would have been rather sea sick like the poor woman at the table next to us who suddenly bolted out with her husband behind her.  He returned explaining she was ill & requested dinner be sent to their cabin.  Why we seemed to leave during the beginning of dinner all the time I don't know.  The first morning was the most difficult.  After I brushed my teeth I went right back to bed & stayed there until the ship anchored.  I was fine as long as I stayed on the bed.  I even exercised & ate a small breakfast while Keith ate at the table.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »

Oops, same boat, different route...

But the on-board photos make me nostalgic!

It looks very nice.  I think I would miss a balcony now that I'm spoiled, not that we used the small balcony on this last cruise.  On the big ships we used the balconies a lot.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »

Can you imagine back in the old old days when they went out and hired Michelangelo to chisel all those covers for Renaissance Magazine?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:37:33 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

An Alaskan cruise does sound nice, DR Jane.  I've never taken a cruise, but have friends who are addicted to them.

KevinH

« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »

Goodnight!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

However, the next day, I got a call from my surgeon's office telling me that my surgeon had reviewed the results and was turning me over to a different surgeon in his office.   The reason given was that the problem appears to be in the thoracic part of my spine, and my surgeon doesn't deal with that part of the spine.  I see this new sureon tomorrow.

Maybe this is good news as the other surgeon didn't seem to positive he could operate.

MEGA VIBES FOR POSITIVE NEWS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.  Of course, tomorrow will be Surgeon #3.  It was Number #1 Surgeon that said surgery wouldn't help.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »

DRs, Zach Short, the son of my friend LouAnn, is in chemotherapy in Houston for lymphoma. Can you please send him some vibes? I know she and her husband Jeff are wrried amd I worry for her. Thanks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »

Those are some great photos.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »

An Alaskan cruise does sound nice, DR Jane.  I've never taken a cruise, but have friends who are addicted to them.

A couple of years ago my brother Randy and JoAnn took one in memory of our Dad who always planned toget to Alaska and never did. They really enjoyed it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »

An Alaskan cruise does sound nice, DR Jane.  I've never taken a cruise, but have friends who are addicted to them.

Take one out of Seattle, so we can have a mini HHW gathering.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

Vibes for DR Elmore's friend Zach!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

DRs, Zach Short, the son of my friend LouAnn, is in chemotherapy in Houston for lymphoma. Can you please send him some vibes? I know she and her husband Jeff are wrried amd I worry for her. Thanks!

Medical vibes for Zach!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

You obviously have a stronger stomach than I do.  I would not want to do a major crossing.  Had this cruise been my first one I expect I would have been rather sea sick like the poor woman at the table next to us who suddenly bolted out with her husband behind her.  He returned explaining she was ill & requested dinner be sent to their cabin.  Why we seemed to leave during the beginning of dinner all the time I don't know.  The first morning was the most difficult.  After I brushed my teeth I went right back to bed & stayed there until the ship anchored.  I was fine as long as I stayed on the bed.  I even exercised & ate a small breakfast while Keith ate at the table.

That is why I never leave home without a package of patches - just in case.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

Oh, Ginny:  today's Ebates Daily Double is a little store we like to call Vera Bradley.  :)

La, la, la, la *fingers in ears* la, la, la - trying not to spend a lot of money on Vera, DR JMK, but thanks for thinking of me!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »

Rob Marshall in talks to direct "Into the Woods."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rob-marshall-takes-sondheims-woods-279821

Hope it works better than "Nine."

Well, a lot of it will have to be rewritten, particularly the opening.  And actually, it already has--there are demos out on YouTube of a few new songs Sondheim wrote.  I think DR Jose posted links to them a while back...

why?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up