Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A MAN POSSESSED  (Read 11169 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: A MAN POSSESSED
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »

SAFE TRAVEL VIBES FOR DR JOSE!

After reading the posts I modified this & took out EASY.  Obviously I was too late.

:)

Thank You, DR Jane.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »

PAGE FOUR!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Bruce:

If it helps your timeline any, Petula Clark and the Cassidys were in the Broadway production of "Blood Brothers" from Aug. 16, 1993 to June 5, 1994.

Mark

And I believe I saw BLOOD BROTHERS three times on Broadway. Twice with Pet and the Cassidy Boys.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »

OK.

I really am hungry. Time to venture out and do some exploring.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from St. Louis, Missouri!

:)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »

Oh!

So for this Saturday's post-FOLLIES meet-up with DR vixmom, the guest list is looking like:

DR vixmom
DR FJL
DR elmore (maybe)
DR Jason (surprise!)
and DR myself ;)

Anyone else?

I'm a definite! And I am back from Encores! And waiting for today's fallout.

Yeah!

~~~~~GENTLE FALLOUT VIBES FOR YOU~~~~~

DITTO!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

This Oscar Hammerstein special looks good:

http://www.rnh.com/news/1038/Matthew-Morrison-Hosts-New-PBS-Special-Oscar-Hammerstein-II-OUT-OF-MY-DREAMS

That looks pretty cool!  And speaking of PBS...this morning (at 1:00 am), I recorded "Great Performances:  Let Me Down Easy" by Anna Devere Smith.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

Oh!

So for this Saturday's post-FOLLIES meet-up with DR vixmom, the guest list is looking like:

DR vixmom
DR FJL
DR elmore (maybe)
DR Jason (surprise!)
and DR myself ;)

Anyone else?

I'm a definite! And I am back from Encores! And waiting for today's fallout.

Yeah!

~~~~~GENTLE FALLOUT VIBES FOR YOU~~~~~

DITTO!!!

~~~TRITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

Oh... I made sure to add the Simon Rattle, Glyndeborne recording of "Porgy & Bess" to my iPad playlist in iTunes. That should be good in-flight music.

I need to order this.  As much as I love the Houston Grand Opera version, I hear that the Glyndeborne is incredible.

It is a rather wonderful recording. However, I do agree with some of the critics who complained(?) that some of the tempos are a tad slow or a tad "strict" in places.

However, Harolyn Blackwell's "Summertime" is truly languid - in a good way. I've mentioned this here before, but... When I was doing CARMEN JONES at the Kennedy Center, Harolyn Blackwell was our Micaela, er, I mean Cindy Lou. I asked her about the exquisitely slow tempo for "Summertime". Her response was something along the lines of: "If you've ever spent a summer in Charleston, you wouldn't be doing anything fast." :)

*I also believe the set is now midline- if not budget-priced now.

I think I have that Rattle/Blackwell recording of "Porgy and Bess."  I'll have to check. :)

George

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »

All three local stations have been reporting about nothing but the weather and snow since early this morning.  All of the morning shows have been preempted by weather and how bad it's been and how it's now slowing down.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

I wonder how many folks here remember a time (60s-70s) when you couldn't watch a beauty pageant/talent contest/audition without someone singing "Summertime".

Because it's at such a "languid pace", some of the versions I heard were nearly torturous.

Meanwhile, I'd give a pretty to hear Lainie Kazan's gorgeous "I Loves You, Porgy" once again.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »

I took some pictures and wanted to post them, but I left my card reader at work and can't find the USB cable for my camera. :P

Hopefully, I'll be able to get to work tomorrow and post some from there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »

Oh... I made sure to add the Simon Rattle, Glyndeborne recording of "Porgy & Bess" to my iPad playlist in iTunes. That should be good in-flight music.

I need to order this.  As much as I love the Houston Grand Opera version, I hear that the Glyndeborne is incredible.

It is a rather wonderful recording. However, I do agree with some of the critics who complained(?) that some of the tempos are a tad slow or a tad "strict" in places.

However, Harolyn Blackwell's "Summertime" is truly languid - in a good way. I've mentioned this here before, but... When I was doing CARMEN JONES at the Kennedy Center, Harolyn Blackwell was our Micaela, er, I mean Cindy Lou. I asked her about the exquisitely slow tempo for "Summertime". Her response was something along the lines of: "If you've ever spent a summer in Charleston, you wouldn't be doing anything fast." :)

My late friend Bruce Hubbard is the Jake in that production.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

Time for a nap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

Southland Season Four started on TNT last night......I will have to catch up with it On Demand later today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »

For those unfamiliar with Lainie Kazan as an exceptional chanteuse, click on her name to hear her gorgeous rendition of "I Will Wait For You".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »

Time for a nap.

I agree.  Except there is too much damned company at my house today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »

Off with their heads!

Or, just tell 'em to go home.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »

Back from an interesting meeting with the volunteer administrators.  I stopped at one of the branch libraries to see Gwen's Storybook Dollhouse and then I had lunch at Chipotle.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »

Toward the end of the Cold War, the state theater of New York, under Pat Snyder's direction, started a cultural exchange with the USSR that resulted in a Soviet theater company coming to Albany to perform. One of the shows they did was a variety show with a little bit of everything thrown in, including a Russian dancing bear act.

Somewhere in the middle of the show, a half-dozen Russian women in peasant clothes took the stage to sing "Summertime." It was one of the most beautiful, goose-bump inducing moments of theater I've ever experienced.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »

Back from an interesting meeting with the volunteer administrators.  I stopped at one of the branch libraries to see Gwen's Storybook Dollhouse and then I had lunch at Chipotle.
I like my salad bowl at Chipotle. With carnitas. And the hot salsa.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

DR John G, my Chipotle selection was a rice bowl with chicken and the 2 mildest salsas.  Next time, no rice, just black beans. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »

I wish I could DR RLP.

Oh well....maybe I will just put on my headphones.

Doug R

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »

Initially half-hearted about "Sherlock". The final episode of series two, "The Reichenbach Fall" has made me a fan. It ended on an amazing and baffling cliffhanger.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

Hmmm...I wonder if I just overpaid for it at ArkivMusic.  But I did order it on disc.  And ordering from Arkiv finally gave me the excuse to order THE SAINT OF BLEECKER STREET which I had been putting off for ages...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

I got up at 5:30 this morning just so I could get to the office by 8:00 to make a meeting at that time that was set up to accomodate people in India who decided at the last minute that they would rather meet with us tomorrow at the same time.

Grrrrr....
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »

Hmmm...I wonder if I just overpaid for it at ArkivMusic.  But I did order it on disc.  And ordering from Arkiv finally gave me the excuse to order THE SAINT OF BLEECKER STREET which I had been putting off for ages...

I wish I had known you wanted Saint of ...
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

I got up at 5:30 this morning just so I could get to the office by 8:00 to make a meeting at that time that was set up to accomodate people in India who decided at the last minute that they would rather meet with us tomorrow at the same time.

Grrrrr....

You have my sympathies DR Dan.  I never used to arrived at my office until 10:00 which I always thought a very civilised time.  I used to hate it when people decided to have early morning meetings!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

to DR Charles Pogue!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »

Shouldn't an all-expense paid junket include airfare?

He asked Disney.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up