Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOMPING AT THE BIT  (Read 17623 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2004, 04:38:26 PM »

Great lunchtime photo.....

Yes, MRBK, I think you might like Six Feet Under....because if it had been on back in the day, I think Benjamin Kritzer would have been fascinated by it....right up there with Twilight Zone....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »

Barbara Cook is interviewed on 60 minutes.

The Parent Trap with Haley Mills is on. Anyone know the name of the actress who was her double? They really did a good job with her.

Why did Disney always seem to use process shots when actors were out doors. The scene with Mills and O'Hara walking on a treadmill in front of a screen is sooooooooo obvious.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

Page Five dance....   ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2004, 04:45:10 PM »

I took a photo of DD with WD (dear daughter with Wonderdog) with my camera phone and emailed it to myself so that I could post it. But it seems to be lost in cyberspace.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2004, 04:45:30 PM »

DR MS - her name was Susan Henning, and she is interviewed on the DVD!  She and Hayley looked so much alike, in some scenes, Susan is clearly visible....but she had blue eyes NOT brown....

Hayley also says in her interview...."Susan gave the exact same performance I did, but her half of the movie was never used...."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2004, 04:46:01 PM »

Re: Dollhouses.  Nope, never had one.  My sister didn't have one, either.  But she did have a white mouse, for a while, and a maze for said mouse to run through.  The mouse was smart, and ignored the maze, simply sitting where it wanted to until my sister got fed up and fed him.  Smart mouse, getting my sister trained like that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2004, 04:50:35 PM »

Re: movies we didn't expect to enjoy.

My turn-around was with Best of Show.  I was in a terrible mood, very depressed, and didn't want to see anything at all.  Der Brucer insisted.  We both laughed our way through the entire film.  (If only A Mighty Wind had been as good.  *sigh*)

Der Brucer, on the other hand, had no expectation of enjoying Pacific Overtures when we saw it at the British National Opera.  By intermission, he was literally bouncing with joy.  Unseemly, but gratifying.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2004, 04:54:33 PM »

Back from Tarnation. It is beautiful there this time of year!

Went and saw THE STEPFORD WIVES...I hate to tell y'all this but I liked it! It is a comedy and I thought it was quite funny. Bette Midler, of course, stole the show! I didn't want to go and see it but my buddy Mark insisted...so I guess I could say that movie is one I didn't want to go to but liked a lot.

Actually, SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is another movie I very much did not want to see but was forced to...and it ended up being quite good! I wouldn't particularly sit thought it again, but I was very well entertained.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »

Re: The healthy attitude.

Well, of course having a healthy attitude can help anyone's health.  A healthy attitude can help cheer up the caregivers, as well.  A genuine "thank-you" can make the caregiving tasks that much easier to perform.

When I'm in a depression, I try to be nice to the people around me.  It makes their lives easier, and they are nicer to me in return.  Or, if they're just nasty by nature, it confuses them.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »

The photo suddenly arrived from cyberspace. Go figure. Here are Rachel and Abie...

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2004, 04:57:23 PM »

I never had a dollhouse and I don't recall my sister having one either. Of course she was a teenage by the time I was born so she wouldn't have likely had it...but since her Barbies went to my cousin Molly when she outgrew them I would guess if she had had a dollhouse then Molly would have ended up with it as well.

I did make lots of houses out of building blocks, tinker toys, and Lincoln Logs and occasionally Gumby and Pokey lived in them and a stray Barbie visited now and then, but that is as close as I ever got to one. I do recall seeing the ones that JRand53 refers too in the Christmas catalogs and I was always intrigued by them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2004, 04:57:47 PM »

I can tell Abie is going to be spoiled rotten over the next couple of weeks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2004, 05:00:08 PM »

Good Evening!

I just had my dinner, and, surprise, it wasn't the two remaininng pastries I bought earlier today.  (The "alumette" (vanilla pastry cream and stawberries in puff pastry studded with slivered almonds) served as my appetizer, I guess. ;))  Instead I had some "Navratan Korma" - one of those pre-packaged, just heat and eat meals.  It was better than I expected it to be.  Good sauce, good variety of vegetables and legumes.  I also added some toasted almonds just so that I would have some "crunch" in my dinner.  And since it's been a while since I've had Indian food...

Now to decide which pastry will serve as my (first) dessert... Chocolate Cream Horn or Chocolate Cannoli?  Hmm...

*I suspect DR TCB may find a theme in my choice of remaining pastries.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2004, 05:02:16 PM »

LOL DRJOSE.

Great photo DRPANNI!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2004, 05:02:31 PM »

Wouldn't living in a doll's house be...well...drafty?

And how about changing one's clothes?  Or using the bathroom?  Or is one just supposed to get used to that sort of thing?

(Not that there are that many anatomically correct dolls.  Maybe they aren't that easily embarrassed, for that reason.)

(Time to get dinner started.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2004, 05:02:40 PM »

MBARNUM are you coming to chat tonight?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2004, 05:06:01 PM »

...I had some "Navratan Korma" - one of those pre-packaged, just heat and eat meals... which pastry will serve as my (first) dessert... Chocolate Cream Horn or Chocolate Cannoli...
Indian cuisine and chocolate.  Interesting combination, if not exactly traditional.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2004, 05:17:42 PM »

<drum roll>...

And the tonight's first selection will be...

well.. was...

Chocolate Cream Horn!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »

Chat in a mere thirty minutes.  Eight hundred posts to 50,000.

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2004, 05:57:35 PM »

MBARNUM are you coming to chat tonight?

Yes, I shall hie myself to chat tonight!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »

Chat is open and jumpin'.  Dear reader Jane, come on in.  Just click live chat, put in "Jane", no password, and voila.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2004, 06:04:28 PM »

In the meantime...

Once I got back to my apartment, I did some tidying up (vacuuming and washing dishes), and decided to put a DVD in my DVD player.  Well, after some fussing, I went ahead and put in the "Barbara Cook: Mostly Sondheim" DVD - which I have yet to watch.  So, I'm sitting here posting on HHW, and listening and watching Ms. Cook.  Quite a nice way to spend a late afternoon.

*Now if I can just figure out why the picture on my TV set keeps "cycling" from bright to dark and back again.  When it goes dark, it just gets darker, not to black, so... And since I'm mainly listening to Ms. Cook's voice...  This "symptom" has happened before, and it's not a consistent thing, so...  I've tried separating the various electrical and patch cords... I've tried re-stacking the components... Ah, well...  Any suggestions?  -I'm just trying to figure out if it's something with my DVD player or with my TV.

*Sheesh!  Who needs to keep a journal when one has HHW! :)

I have a problem with trying to record a DVD or LP to my computer, and a co-worker said that I should get "shielded" cables, which are more expensive than regular cables.  I've heard from other people that it can make a big difference.  If you can afford them (I don't know how much they are), they probably will be all that you need.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2004, 06:05:03 PM »

I just got back from my sister's and now I shall join the chat!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2004, 06:32:48 PM »

Chat is most amusing.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2004, 06:44:30 PM »

JoseSPiano I enjoyed your sweet story about Edwina.  She must be very special for you to follow her around.  Two knees at once will be tough.  I wish her the best.

Robin, we saw THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK today.  Keith read reviews that said it was difficult to follow but we didn’t have a problem.  The movie was fun and entertaining, nothing great.  Not having seen it, yet, I can’t compare it to PITCH BLACK.

Jennifer you are a good sister.

JRand I didn’t have the good fortune to have a doll house.  I bet a daughter of mine, if she wanted one, would have had one.  Of course I would have played with it too.

Sandra, four hours for a church meeting-absolutely good vibes to staying awake.  And thank you for the good wishes.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2004, 06:53:18 PM »

Back from a nice, if quiet, day at work.  Der Brucer isn't happy, though, because I'm not scheduled for enough hours per week.  He wants me to go job-shopping again, to find a second job and add to my income.  Me, I'm not sure yet, having just gotten my feet wet on this job.  We'll see what happens.

The summer may be slow, but the hours should pile on during the holiday season.

George

« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2004, 06:55:36 PM »

I left chat (which was sparkling and lively) so that I could watch "60 Minutes."  Barbara Cook is on tonight's episode!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2004, 06:57:30 PM »

I have said this before and I shall say it again:  All I want for Christmas is Dear Reader Jose's metabolism.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2004, 07:00:48 PM »

Dear Reader Panni:  there is a bona fide medical research study (I am so sorry I do not have the citation) that observed a number of Jewish patients who were terminally ill.  The study showed a marked dip in the mortality rate in the days leading up to the start of Passover, and then a spike in the mortality rate in the days following the start of the holiday.

The conclusion was that a mental state (i.e., wishing to hold on until the arrival of the holiday) could impact the physical state.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2004, 07:01:27 PM »

Panni, did the Reiki help the dog?  

Yes Tomovoz, the residents feel emotionally better, but unfortunately Echo’s visits don’t help their illness one little bit.

I have tried the mind over matter, willing myself to stay healthy.  It didn’t work and probably because that was all I did.  To a certain degree, yes it does make a difference.  When we are sick a good attitude can help find the strength to do what we need to do to get better.  Balance is the key.  My sister willed herself never to get our family curse and never did the usual tests to detect it early.  When my mother died of ovarian cancer, my sister said she was going to chant and keep it away.  I can tell you she had many regrets over that.  If I get it, I will at least know I did everything possible to stop it or catch it early-no regrets.  When I say everything, that includes medically as well as mentally.

Wow, that turned into a small rant-sorry.

Panni, I can see the family resemblance in the photo – Rachel of course.  Nice pic of both of them.

Bruce I also like your photo.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up