Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOMPING AT THE BIT  (Read 17334 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2004, 03:25:44 PM »

After some Google-ing, I came across the following thoughts about "Flicks" over at http://www.etherfarm.com/thalamus/archives/taste/000467.html

<<<<<<<<<<

Flicks Chocolate Candys Were Similar To Hersheys Kisses With A More Waxy Texture, But With Plenty Of Chocolate Flavor. Mainly Found At Movie Theatres, They Were Packed In Tubes Covered With Different Colored Foil/Paper Wrapping. No Longer Produced By Ghirardelli, They Will Only Continue To Exist As A Memory, But A Very Fond One At That.

<<<<<<<<<<

I, for one, was hoping to find that someone still made "Flicks". Fond memories from high school movie dates, eating Flicks. Sigh.
I remember a candy called "Flicks". Do you still make them?
While we recognize many of our consumers remember “Flicks” with a nostalgic fondness, we no longer make the product. When the headquarters of Ghirardelli Chocolate Company moved from Ghirardelli Square to San Leandro, packaging equipment for this product was damaged. This machine was made before World War 1 and since the company that manufactured the machine had long since gone out of business, we were not able to repair the machine. Since that time, we have introduced a line of Chocolate Squares, including four rich, indulgent Chocolate Squares featuring smooth, creamy fillings. We expect these Squares to quickly surpass the legend created by “Flicks”, and garner a fond place in the heart of Ghirardelli consumers.

<<<<<<<<<<

"We expect these Squares to quickly surpass the legend created by “Flicks”, and garner a fond place in the heart of Ghirardelli consumers. "
like hell !!!
maybe if you melt them down and make flicks out of them.

<<<<<<<<<<<
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2004, 03:26:44 PM »

oh, as a side note, I didn't bother brushing or drying my hair before I fell back to sleep.  I have rather long blonde hair...right now it resembles a fright wig!  :o

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »

To Icecream or not to icecream is not a question for debate. It is like chocolate - a substitute for any of the required food groups at any time of the day. It is also a documented cure for fright wig syndrome.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 03:32:10 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2004, 03:33:30 PM »

OOhh...

This site may have been posted here before, but just in case... Here's another source for those "ole time candies". *And I remember this place being featured on Food TV's "Food Finds".

http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/index.html
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2004, 03:34:59 PM »

Are there any other "Six Feet Under" fans out there. (MAat & Jose of course). For me it has been the most rewarding series made for American TV ever! Characters that have developed and that you really care for. Characters that are human enough to surprise you by their actions. Wonderful writing and wonderful performances.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2004, 03:41:13 PM »

I like SFU!

Oh my - I just realized Alton Brown looks like the lead singer from A Flock of Seagulls!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2004, 03:42:30 PM »

I ran!  or is it  I raq?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2004, 03:47:31 PM »

It is a holiday Monday here in the Southern colony. Queen's Birthday. The official day. It is celebrated in the UK with the traditional "Trooping Of the Colour" but is is not a holiday. You needed to know that.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2004, 03:49:37 PM »

LOL Tom.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »

But will anyone else understand?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2004, 03:53:21 PM »

You are a JLS who stands out from the flock JRand.
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2004, 03:53:27 PM »

I vote that Ann has the ice cream for lunch. (HHW is a democracy.) I personally am eating for lunch something that I pulled out of the back of the freezer and then heated up in the microwave.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2004, 03:54:48 PM »

Exhibit number one.

Alton Brown.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2004, 03:55:13 PM »

Exhibit number two:  A Flock of Seagulls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2004, 03:55:50 PM »

LOL Tom....I don't know what that means.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2004, 04:00:21 PM »

Back from a nice, if quiet, day at work.  Der Brucer isn't happy, though, because I'm not scheduled for enough hours per week.  He wants me to go job-shopping again, to find a second job and add to my income.  Me, I'm not sure yet, having just gotten my feet wet on this job.  We'll see what happens.

Re: Flicks.  Yes, I remember them.  I remember not really liking them.  They may have been real milk chocolate, but they tasted strange to me, for some reason.  I think it was a texture thing.

But the packaging was great.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2004, 04:01:49 PM »

Robin, I opted out of watching the new KING SOLOMON'S MINES, the minute I saw who was playing Alan Quatermain (and it's Quatermain; not Quartermain as it is so often mis-written) and read a description of the plot.  No one has ever done this movie right nor utilized the great inter-racial love story in it (which must have been very explosive for its time and is still pretty explosive in some quarters).  Shame on them all and damn them all to Hell.  It's gotten universally wretched reviews by the way..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 04:08:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2004, 04:04:35 PM »

Jonathon Livingston Seagull. DR JRand.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2004, 04:04:38 PM »

Yes, I, too, am a "Six Feet Under" fan.  And I'm afraid I shall be devoting my 9:00PM hour here on the East Coast tonight to the season premiere... I'll try to check in with chat, but... We'll see...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2004, 04:06:50 PM »

..But first I must quote - EXACTLY as written - from a flyer I received from a neighborhood Hungarian restaurant:
NEW SUMMER MENU:
Every Tuesday: 12 Course Lunch Buffet
Every wenesday: Gurme Diner of the Season

(later on they offer "Fruits des Mares for 2 person [including] Seebas"
I've got to get my glasses cleaned off...I thought that was "Fruits des Mares for 2 person [including] Seebees."

Which would be a totally different kind of yummilicious.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2004, 04:09:50 PM »

Oh LOL....duh....thanks TOM.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2004, 04:10:18 PM »

...and in two weeks I'll begin taking classes at the Circle In The Square Theatre School where, according to a friend, I might take classes with the great Noel Katz!  The Great Noel Katz should let me know if he's still teaching there....
This explains why Noel is being errant and truant for two weeks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2004, 04:13:23 PM »

OOh... After finally watching the Barbara Cook, "Mostly Sondheim" DVD...  What a wonderful performer and person she is!  Seeing it on video/DVD brought back so many wonderful memories from seeing her live two summers ago at the Kennedy Center.  Along with the many other wonderful memories from that summer at "Camp Sondheim".

I guess my only disappointment was realizing that they only featured two of the five masterclass participants.  However, it was nice to see and hear Tim Tourbin again - if you think his eyes are blue on screen, in person... ;)  And I liked how they interspersed the commentary from both Ms. Cook and the participants.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »

No one has been to the Angelus Temple?
I used to ride past the Angelus Temple every day on my way to and from work.  Never had a desire to go inside, the people who hung around the place were creepy enough.  (Think Pat Robertson, but with a wardrobe from Salvation Army.)

Robin

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2004, 04:24:43 PM »

Robin, I opted out of watching the new KING SOLOMON'S MINES, the minute I saw who was playing Alan Quatermain (and it's Quatermain; not Quartermain as it is so often mis-written) and read a description of the plot.  It's gotten universally wretched reviews by the way...

Which it heartily deserves, based on the hour of it I watched.  What is it with these Hollywood producers and their distrust of the source material?  I just don't get it!

About the extra 'r' often attributed to Quatermain: it's in both the version of King Solomon's Mines with (Sir) Cedric Hardwicke, and in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. (But the added 'r' is the least of that movie's problems.)

I've often seen the extra 'r' show up in discussions of Hammer's "Quatermass" films, too.  

I dunno why people insist on adding it, but it's just annoying.  It's not like you can just add an 'r' to just anything, and not have people notice, Mr. Progue.  I wonder what Mr. Krimmel would say about it?  Or DR Dranise?  Or DR Norel?  Or DR Pranni?  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 04:28:50 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2004, 04:26:15 PM »

I knew there would be some TV show excuse, just not what.  Here I thought, well, Alias is done and The Sopranos is done.  And if Six Feet Under weren't on then it would be something else.  I know this, because it doesn't matter WHAT night the chat is on, some folks just don't want to come.  That, of course, is perfectly perfect and peachy as we'll have a wonderful time with whomever shows up or down.

Had a lovely late lunch with Alet and Lucy.  Here is a photo.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2004, 04:30:39 PM »

*Sheesh!  Who needs to keep a journal when one has HHW! :)
Journals are for when you have something dirty to write.  Or you could use e-mail.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2004, 04:31:23 PM »

I'm back from the airport with DD.

Count me in among the SIX FEET UNDER fans. One of the best if not THE best shows on television. I've tried to convince bk to give it a try. Maybe if we all pressure him, he'll take a look.

Subliminal message:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WATCH SIX FEET UNDER, BK.[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »

I'll be going to the airport soon to pick up DD, arriving from San Francisco. She tells me that she was on a bus yesterday near Golden Gate Park and happened to look out the window... to see around ten "ugly guys" riding bikes (her description). The ugly guys were wearing big hats -- and nothing else.
Not even sunscreen?

Life is too short for just the ugly guys to be wearing nothing else.

Robin

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2004, 04:36:34 PM »

Der Brucer isn't happy, though, because I'm not scheduled for enough hours per week.  He wants me to go job-shopping again, to find a second job and add to my income.  Me, I'm not sure yet, having just gotten my feet wet on this job.

Not like I'm taking sides or anything, but learning two jobs simultaneously seems a bit too stressful to me.  Learn the one job, and once you get it down pat, mebbe getting the second one would be in order.  

When I first moved to Minnesota, I worked seven days a week for a long time...nearly four years.  While it was beneficial to the ol' bank account, it certainly wasn't beneficial to me.

We work to live...we don't live to work.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up