Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOMPING AT THE BIT  (Read 17301 times)

Jennifer

Re:CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2004, 01:40:36 PM »

Re: the candy

Sometimes it's hard to understand what candy looks like and tastes like without having seen it.

Maybe a picture would help.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2004, 01:41:29 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2004, 01:44:08 PM »

Well I must be off.  I need to watch the end of last night's Trading Spaces and get dressed before I go out.

Have a good night everyone.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2004, 02:01:08 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I decided to go ahead and sleep in after hearing my roomie and his boyfriend (emphasis on "boy" ;)) get up a bit late for their excursion to Annapolis, MD this morning.  Right before we turned in last night, they mentioned they had to leave Richmond by 9:00 since they had to be in Annapolis by 1:00 for the event they were attending.  This way they would have at least four hours to get there, leaving a good hour or so for any traffic mess they may come upon.  -And since they would have to deal with both I-95 and Rt. 50, traffic is a usual part of the weekend travel equation.  In any case...  We didn't get to bed until around 4:00am last night - just got to chatting and started fretting and figuring out driving times and directions.  So, I started hearing them running around this morning, but when I looked at my clock it was already 10:30!  Oops!  I heard a few phone calls being made, a few e-mails being sent (well, I at least heard his computer modem through my door).  -I just have to wonder what time they did make it to Annapolis, and whether or not they made it in time for their event - which I think was some sort of high-end wine tasting.

In the meantime...

I finally got myself out of bed around 1:30, and proceeded to get ready to head out to brunch at Sidewalk Cafe.  Of course, as I stopped to get a newspaper on the corner, I realized I had forgotten my wallet, so I had to make a return trip back to the apartment.  No big whoop.

Then once I got there, Edwina, my favorite waitress in the whole wide world, was sitting outside with some other customers taking a little break.  It was already close to 2:00 and their "brunch rush" was still rushing.  We talked for a little bit, and she even introduced me to some of her other regulars who were waiting for a table.  It was a very sweet moment actually.

Edwina was my first waitress in Richmond back when she was working at Stella's - 18 years ago!!  So, she considers me one of her "children".  And I was introduced as one of her children today.  It was very nice.  And like a good son, I have more or less followed her from restaurant to restaurant over the past 18 years.  She's going in for knee replacement surgery next month, and I already know I'm going to miss her on the weekend for those couple of weeks where she'll be off her feet.  *Oh, and there were two other "children" having brunch today who just got enagaged!
Make Your Own Luck.

Robin

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2004, 02:01:13 PM »

Michael and I spent the day at various and sundried book stores.  I bought a couple of old paperbacks I'd been looking for, and an anthology of Dick Tracy comic strips.  We considered seeing the movie The Chronicles of Riddick, but I nixed that idea, since I hated, hated, hated the movie to which this is the sequel (or prequel, or some damn thing), Pitch Black.  

Right now, I'm eating Fig Newtons.  Good eatin'!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »

Off to my sister's.  I hope to be back by chat time (6:00 PDT).  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »

I enjoyed The Commitments as well.  One of my favorite moments was the line of people who were trying to get into the band, and one guy had just seen the line, joined it, and when he got to  the door, thought they must be selling drugs!  LOL....

No one has been to the Angelus Temple?

Did any of the DR's or sisters of DR's have a dollhouse when growing up?  What kind was it?  How many rooms, what kind of furniture?

My sisters had the Marx Split Level dollhouse, with a large living/dining room, and few steps down was a great kitchen, family room with fireplace (outside on the otherside was a grill on the patio) and laundry room....upstairs was a large bedroom, nursery, and bath!  I bought one like it on EBAY and furnished it....lots of fun.

I also own a couple of others, a larger MARX house, a small fiberboard house, and a GREAT Tomy two story house.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »

I tried watching the new version of King Solomon's Mines on the Hallmark Channel, but it's nothing but slimy, greasy gopher guts.  Patrick Swayze has entered the black hole of Hollywood...rotten direct-to-cable-TV movies.  Such a pity.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2004, 02:05:13 PM »

DR JOSE - after Peggy Cass' horrible experience, please have Edwina write on her knee "This One!" to prevent a similar catastrophe!

Robin

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2004, 02:07:05 PM »

Did any of the DR's or sisters of DR's have a dollhouse when growing up?  What kind was it?  How many rooms, what kind of furniture?

It wasn't really a dollhouse, but I did have a model Mad Scientist's laboratory, decked out with plastic Kenneth Strickfadden-like acoutrements.  I remember pulling apart GI Joes and re-assembling them in that lab fondly.  Arm, leg and head transplants were commonplace in Robin's Laboratory of Horror!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 02:07:40 PM by Robin »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2004, 02:08:45 PM »

Not much here to report, except that my mom is at a church board meeting, where I am sure she is bored out of her mind, while I am sitting at home not doing much of anything. Vibes to my mom while she tries to stay awake for another four hours. ~~~~~~~~~~~

And Jane, I hope everything turns out for the best, Echo-wise.

And Robin, do NOT get me started on those Fig Newtons. You think that shrimp batter story was gross... well I just won't go there.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2004, 02:16:32 PM »

WOW!  All those posts in the 5:01EST minute!

In the meantime...

I finally got a table around 2:15, and ordered my usual Cajun Hash.  Since it was the end of brunch, my serving of Cajun Hash was quite generous.  There was LOTS of food on the plate.  Cajun Hash is basically a concoction of blackened hash browns with bits of sausage, green and red peppers and shrimp(!) all topped with two eggs, over-easy, with a blanket of melted Fontina cheese baked over the top of everything.  (And the Fontina cheese today tasted like it was Smoked Fontina - a very nice variation.)  Where was I?  Oh...

Well, the plate of food was put in front of me, and I started laughing out loud.  I guess since it was the end of brunch, the kitchen was trying to get rid of the rest of the hash browns they've had on the grilltop all morning.  There were enough potatoes for at least five or six people... maybe even seven.  I picked out the pieces of sausage and shrimp, and ate as much of the potatoes as I could.  And once I was finished, it still looked like I had not touched my plate.  When Edwina came to pick up my plate, I commented to her, "Next time, make sure they put some potatoes in there!"  It got a good laugh from her... and eventually the bar staff.

It was a good brunch.  I headed back to my apartment for a pit stop, and then decided to go ahead and take a walk up and down Carytown - I needed to walk of some of those hash browns!  By that time, the sky had clouded over and gotten a little gray, but at least it cooler and not raining.  It was a good walk, and I also did some banking via the handy-dandy ATM.  Oh, and I also got a nice scoop of some blueberry ice cream from Bev's, and I picked up some pastries at Jean-Jacques for later tonight. :)  It may not be the healthiest diet in the world, but it will do for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2004, 02:22:28 PM »

JR - I had a doll house that I loved. don't know what kind it was. I think my mother got it for me at the Salvation Army or at some rummage sale. That's where I got most of my toys (and clothes) when we first arrived in Canada.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2004, 02:24:18 PM »

In the meantime...

Once I got back to my apartment, I did some tidying up (vacuuming and washing dishes), and decided to put a DVD in my DVD player.  Well, after some fussing, I went ahead and put in the "Barbara Cook: Mostly Sondheim" DVD - which I have yet to watch.  So, I'm sitting here posting on HHW, and listening and watching Ms. Cook.  Quite a nice way to spend a late afternoon.

*Now if I can just figure out why the picture on my TV set keeps "cycling" from bright to dark and back again.  When it goes dark, it just gets darker, not to black, so... And since I'm mainly listening to Ms. Cook's voice...  This "symptom" has happened before, and it's not a consistent thing, so...  I've tried separating the various electrical and patch cords... I've tried re-stacking the components... Ah, well...  Any suggestions?  -I'm just trying to figure out if it's something with my DVD player or with my TV.

*Sheesh!  Who needs to keep a journal when one has HHW! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2004, 02:25:58 PM »

I'll be going to the airport soon to pick up DD, arriving from San Francisco. She tells me that she was on a bus yesterday near Golden Gate Park and happened to look out the window... to see around ten "ugly guys" riding bikes (her description). The ugly guys were wearing big hats -- and nothing else.

Panni

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »

*Now if I can just figure out why the picture on my TV set keeps "cycling" from bright to dark and back again.  When it goes dark, it just gets darker, not to black, so... And since I'm mainly listening to Ms. Cook's voice...  This "symptom" has happened before, and it's not a consistent thing, so...  I've tried separating the various electrical and patch cords... I've tried re-stacking the components... Ah, well...  Any suggestions?  -I'm just trying to figure out if it's something with my DVD player or with my TV.

I have the same problem, have tried the separating the cords routine, restacking, etc. etc. -- and have given up. One of these days I'm getting a new DVD player.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2004, 02:32:35 PM »

DR Panni - I do believe there is something to the "mind-body" connection in regards to health.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that a good state of mind will cure what ails you, but it definitely does help.  When I was sick-sick a couple of weeks ago, I'd have to say my love of my work kept me going - and kept me showing up to the theatre every night even when my body was trying to telling me stay home in bed.  I also just didn't want to stay in bed, in my apartment for 24/7.  I didn't want to feel trapped.  And I don't think "trapping" myself would have aided in my recovery.  That's too easy a trap to fall into at times.

-What did I just say? ???

I think this is related to the whole concept of "Laughter being the best medicine".  Even when the diagnosis is grave, a healthy attitude provides some comfort and levity when it is needed most.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »

Thanks to all for the explanation about Flicks. Now I know I have never had them. I was thinking they were maybe like Rolos (which I always loved as cheap as they tasted), but now I understand exactly what they are.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2004, 02:37:55 PM »

DR JOSE - after Peggy Cass' horrible experience, please have Edwina write on her knee "This One!" to prevent a similar catastrophe!

Well, from what I understand the "magic marker prep" is now standard in most hospitals.  However - and unfortunately - Edwina will be having both of her knees done.  So, at least, they'll be marking "Left" and "Right".
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »

Re the connection between Health issues and non medical support and treatment. DR Jane would know how much better the residents of the Nursing Home feel after a visit from Echo and herself. I am sure there a re physical benefits from positive mental stimulation. HHW vibes are all about that phenomenon.  Is someone going to say they don't work?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2004, 02:40:08 PM »

RE: Flicks - Hmmm.. Do you know when they went out of "circulation".  I actually seem to remember them now from the various descriptions of the packaging and the candies themselves.  Hmmm...  Time to Google, I guess...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2004, 02:40:19 PM »

After watching THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK yesterday, today I pulled out the laserdisc of ANNE FRANK REMEMBERED. It's a fantastic documentary, and for those who've never seen it, it's on DVD now and well worth at least a rental. Lots of information about Anne from people who knew her including those who were with her at the end. Kenneth Branagh narrates and Glenn Close reads excerpts from the diary.

I used to use this documentary as a supplement when I taught the play to my eighth graders, but I don't think I've watched it in the three years since I retired. It always brings forth tears.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »

Can't be at chat tonight. It's the season premiere of SIX FEET UNDER at 9 p.m. EDT.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2004, 02:44:56 PM »

Oh my, DRJOSE....being a waitress is tough on the knees...all that walking, carrying, and just plain standing....sending good wishes to Edwina!

Hmmmmmmmmm.....is your DVD player running through another component?  Sometimes if a DVD or Video is copyright protected and you are sending the signal to another component before the signal goes to the TV, the DVD/video thinks it's being copied and the signal goes light and dark....and sometimes scrambles itself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2004, 02:45:57 PM »

DRROBIN - I think I saw that Mad Scientist's Lab in the catalog and LONGED for it....but it was never mine!

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2004, 02:51:38 PM »

Great news about the Six Feet Under news season Matt. We won't get it until next year I suspect - I hope we don't get it when I am in Europe in three months time. I am so enjoying the viewing of Season one again.

We have the "Anne Frank Remembered" video. Wonderfully made and a very moving account.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2004, 03:02:22 PM »

DR Ann. I believe there is a welcome mat (even a Matt) ready for you. You can make it today.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2004, 03:24:02 PM »

In my mind, SIX FEET UNDER has gotten better every season. Now the characters are such richly drawn personalities each with noticeable and acknowledged quirks that this world is one I really look forward to visiting each week.

HBO has wisely held the show until the summer so it won't have competing series against each other for the Emmys (like last year when I'm convinced THE SOPRANOS and SIX FEET UNDER competing against each other allowed THE WEST WING after a very topsy-turvy season to win its 4th straight Best Drama Series award). SIX FEET UNDER won't be eligible for Emmys this year, so that leaves THE SOPRANOS with a clear shot to finally win the big prize. The nominations don't come out for another month, but I'm predicting THE SOPRANOS, '24,' THE SHIELD, NIP/TUCK, and CSI as the five Best Drama Series nominees. I read somewhere that a critic was predicting HBO's THE WIRE would be nominated, but I think it falls into the limited series category and not into the Best Drama Series slot. I could be wrong, however.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2004, 03:24:08 PM »

I got up at 10.  I showered, I had breakfast...and around 12 I thought "I think I'll just lie down..."  I woke up again at 2:45.   I guess I really needed sleep.  I have been in my hometown all weekend for college graduation, seeing people and attending celebrations.  Now I'm debating when to head back to Tacoma.  I'm also debating having a bowl of ice cream for lunch...healthy, no?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2004, 03:25:13 PM »

See, if I leave right now....I'd make it back home in time for chat tonight..hmmm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up