Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND SO WE BID A FOND FAREWELL TO FEBRUARY  (Read 13046 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND SO WE BID A FOND FAREWELL TO FEBRUARY
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had farewells and hellos, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently bidding a fond farewell to February and saying a MOO to March.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: AND SO WE BID A FOND FAREWELL TO FEBRUARY
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUADRENNIAL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »

And here are the two new Kritzerland releases - to order, simply visit the Kritzerland website:

Kritzerland is pleased to present a new limited edition soundtrack release:

A MAN AND A WOMAN
Music Composed by Francis Lai

Is there a person anywhere in the world who was around in the 1960s and 1970s who could not instantly recognize the theme from A Man and a Woman?  Doubtful, unless you were living under a rock in a cave in Siberia, and even then you’d probably have heard it.  In fact, it became one of the most beloved movie themes ever written almost instantly.  It was the right theme from the right film at the right time.  Upon its release in 1966, A Man and a Woman became a sensation everywhere it played.   It became the film to see for anyone who considered that they had a romantic bone in his or her body.  The soundtrack recording was as popular as the film, so popular, in fact, that a second soundtrack album was released with the lyrics in English (sung by the same singers as the original French).  The film was fresh, unique, and beguiling, and so was its score by Francis Lai.  It was the perfect marriage of image and music.

A Man and a Woman was only Lai’s third film score, but it put him on the map and he has not stopped working since, and that includes scoring close to thirty films for director Lelouch.  Just a few short years later, in 1970, Lai would win the Oscar for Best Score for Love Story.  His music for A Man and a Woman speaks for itself – the melodies are stunningly beautiful.  Part and parcel of the score are the wonderful vocals of Pierre Barouh and Nicole Croisille, along with Barouh’s lyrics.  The score and songs have been loved by lovers all over the world and with good reason – this is simply some of the most romantic and heartfelt music ever. 

A Man and a Woman was originally issued on a United Artists LP.  With its extreme popularity, United Artists then issued the English language version.   There have been three previous CD issues of the French version – two imports from Europe and a stateside release by DRG.  However, all three were issued from sources many generations away from the original album masters, and, shockingly, all three were in mono.  We are pleased to finally present the first authentic presentation of A Man and a Woman on CD – in stereo from the original album masters housed in the MGM vaults, in both French and English versions.  It’s such a pleasure to hear the score as it was meant to be heard.   

A Man and a Woman is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

THE FUZZY PINK NIGHTGOWN
Music Composed and Conducted by Billy May

and

A BREATH OF SCANDAL
Music Composed and Conducted by Alessandro Cicognini

The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown and Jane Russell, a potent combination, especially when Miss Russell dons the title outfit.  Released in 1957, The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown was a kidnapping comedy.  A movie star, whose film, The Kidnapped Bride, is about to open, is kidnapped and hilarity and love ensue.  The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown is a perfectly enjoyable bit of fizzy-fuzzy fluff, thanks to Miss Russell and her co-stars, Ralph Meeker, Keenan Wynn, Fred Clark, Una Merkel, Adolphe Menjou, Benay Venuta, and Milton Frome.  While it may not be high art, it’s simply the kind of film they don’t make anymore – a low-budget comedy with nothing on its mind other than entertaining people for a brisk eighty-seven minutes and allowing its sexier than sexy star to wear a fuzzy pink nightgown, albeit in a black-and-white film!

One of the most entertaining things about the film is the score by Billy May.  Billy May began as a trumpet player in the Charlie Barnett big band, and by the 1950s he would become one of the greatest arrangers of all time, providing amazing and unique work for such singers as Frank Sinatra (several of his most classic albums), Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, Jeri Southern, Keely Smith, Vic Damone, Bobby Darin, Nancy Wilson, Matt Monro, and many, many others, as well as a series of wonderful solo albums on Capitol with his own band.  The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown is classic Billy – bluesy, swingin’, lush, and gorgeously melodic.  It was his debut film score, and he’d go on to write the music for such films and television programs as Naked City, Seargents Three, Johnny Cool, The Green Hornet, Tony Rome, Batman, The Mod Squad, CHIPS, Emergency, and others.   

The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown was originally released on Imperial Records in glorious monophonic sound.  This first-ever CD release was mastered from the first-generation album masters housed at Capitol, which was Billy’s home for many years. 

Three years later, a very different kind of comedy was released - A Breath of Scandal.  Adapted from Ferenc Molnar’s play, Olympia, the film starred Sophia Loren, Maurice Chevalier, Angela Lansbury, and John Gavin.   It’s a frothy bubble of a film, filled with seductions and complications, a little singing, a castle to romp about in, a little more singing, all photographed on beautiful sets and outdoor locations in spectacular Technicolor.

What really makes the film a glass of champagne is the delightful and charming score of Alessandro Cicognini.  Alessandro Cicognini began scoring films in the mid-1930s, and by the 1950s he was one of Italy’s most prolific film composers, scoring many classic Italian films, such as Miracle in Milan, Umberto D, Shoeshine, Bicycle Thieves (all for Vittorio de Sica),The Little World of Don Camillo, Ulysses, Indiscretion of an American Wife, David Lean’s Summertime, The Black Orchid, It Started in Naples and others.   The score for A Breath of Scandal is filled with delectable melodies and plenty of swirling waltzes and lush romantic tunes, and Mr. Chevalier’s warbling is as enchanting as ever. 

A Breath of Scandal was also originally issued on Imperial Records in stereophonic sound.  This first-ever CD release was mastered from the original album masters housed at Capitol.

It’s always fun to unearth two not very well known scores from two very different comedies.  I hope you’ll agree that they make a most delightful double bill.

The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown/A Breath of Scandal is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CDs will ship the second week of April – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:18:06 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »

Good morning, all! I've been up since 6am and I've spent the past hour analyzing where the hell did my "sent" email file go. Once I figured it out, it will take me several days of transferring to put it back together. I'm also up early because I expect a Time Warner serviceman at some point this morning to show up and transfer my telephone from AT&T to cable. I hope it goes well.

While I wait here, I move emails back to "sent" and ponder the day's other events. I've got work on ROBERTA and DEAREST ENEMT and, depending on the Time warner situation, a trip to City Center.

DR JRand61, I am so sorry to hear the news of your brother-in-law.

DR Ben, how was ONCE?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:42:09 AM »

Once was wonderful. I really enjoyed it. It's a sweet, charming small show. Some friend who saw it downtown (I didn't) were worried that it would lose something in the move to a larger space (it's now in the Bernard Jacobs, formerly the Royale) but I still felt connected and involved in the show (I was in the balcony). The set looks like an Irish pub and the conceit of having the actors play the instruments really works, unlike John Doyle productions. Andy Taylor (I only know him by name and mention on this site) is excellent in a small role as a banker and a player of many stringed instruments. The score is full of the kind of songs you hear on Celtic and folk radio stations, especially those on the BBC.

I'm very glad I got to see the show. I recommend it if you're in New York. I now need to get the DVD and see the movie.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:06 AM »

Jack, very sad news about your brother-in-law. Thoughts and prayers to him.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »

I just got back from the NY Public Library site. I have placed a hold on Once and it should be delivered to my Library branch, Jefferson Market, in a few days.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:58:17 AM »

And now I must see about getting a ticket for Peter and the Starcatcher.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:15:30 AM by Ben »

FJL

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »

Well, I was a little late to realize that "Angelina Jolie's Leg" had become an international issue, since I actually loved her dress as reflected in our original HOLLYWOOD GOWN one-minute rundown from Monday

the all-thumbs-up edition (except for using Sasha Baron Cohen's antics shown here at the very end). 
THE HOLLYWOOD GOWN SONG - OSCARS 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN4gASKH2og

but always needing to jump on a clothing bandwagon, and thus beating a dead clothes-horse  :)

- here's the new  "Angelina Jolie's Leg" special video edition (the image with the two legs is a hoot, which has been circulating on the net; wish I'd thought of it myself!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMe-0U24tw4

Many thanks if you have time to watch both or either.  Each is just about 65 seconds!  I tentatively promise:  no more Hollywood Gown-watching until the Emmys.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:31:07 AM by FJL »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:46 AM »

Good morning, all. And happy leap year day.

(I've already had "Pirates of Penzance" on this morning.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »

Question: Is "Peter and the Starcatcher" considered a musical or a straight play?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »

Interesting notes last night from George and Matthew on "Love Never Dies." Guess it is better than the "Paint Never Dries" version that played in London, but it still makes me want to wait until the library gets a copy.

Thanks for the notes on "Once," Ben. I hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »

Question: Is "Peter and the Starcatcher" considered a musical or a straight play?

It's got music (by Wayne Barker) but it's a play.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »

* * * * *. HEALTH VIBES FOR THE BIL OF DR JRAND. * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »

@  @  @  @  @  BREAK A LEG VIBES TO DR DANISE  @  @  @  @  @
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 05:44:46 AM »

I think I'll send out vibes to everyone, because we probably all need them for something.  There they go-- I just sent them out to you.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »

CD's ordered.

Thanks to everyone for the vibes and encouragement about my brother in law, Mike.

We shall see what we shall see.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

I know that MR BK will enjoy having lunch with Adam.  He is a lot of fun, and he is a very talented musician.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:09:52 AM by Jrand61 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »

Yes DR JMK - the Paramount B's will have to include THE PARTY CRASHERS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »

Looks like Mittens and Santy both got some delegates in Michigan last night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »

New titles have been announced ans I'm back in bed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »

Everyone make the best use of your EXTRA day in 2012.

DR VIXMOM - we expect a full report from LEAP OF FAITH.....with photos.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:55 AM »

Interview vibes for DR DANISE today!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »

I just mentioned PETER AND THE STARCATCHER(S) in my review of NEVERLAND.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:01 AM »

I just made a costly mistake, but I'll live with it.  I have been waiting with bated breath for the Ebates Daily Double to be Magazines.com 52% cash back so that I could re-up my Variety subscription.  I mistakenly went for weekly Variety first, instead of Daily, but that's OK, I'll be getting hundreds of dollars back eventually.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »

It is snowing quite heavily in the land of Lake Oswego.

JMK

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:39 AM »

Or at least the air of Lake Oswego.

JMK

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »

I should have been your very first AMAAW order, BK, since I pre-ordered.  I'm quite miffed that it wasn't here this morning.

JMK

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »

Still looking for the Rita Hayworth version of I WANT TO LIVE!  ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up