Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CAPSULE NOTES  (Read 12400 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: CAPSULE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 06:39:43 AM »

Page two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: INIQUITOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:02:58 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

A librarian friend of mine saw the "new improved" PRGY AND BESS last night and just wrote me:
I don't ever want to see it again.  It's horrible!  Not the performance (which was, typical of today's direction, hyper-kinetic - the characters remade as lower but certainly middle class African Americans, and the revision made it seem like a recital of famous songs with most of the connective plot/character development removed) -
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »

Good Filichia on Friday. I can't wait to see and/or hear "Matilda." I love Roald Dahl's books.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »

A librarian friend of mine saw the "new improved" PRGY AND BESS last night and just wrote me:
I don't ever want to see it again.  It's horrible!  Not the performance (which was, typical of today's direction, hyper-kinetic - the characters remade as lower but certainly middle class African Americans, and the revision made it seem like a recital of famous songs with most of the connective plot/character development removed) -

I think I'll wait until the recording is on supersale or hits the used bins.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »

HAP-HAP SLAP-HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES TO BK's DAUGHTER JENNIFER

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:12 AM »

Happy Birthday to BK's daughter, Jennfer!

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:37 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I will be E & T this afternoon while helping at the Middletown AAUW's 56th Annual Used Book Sale.  Apparently last night's preview sale ($5 admission) brought in $2600!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:51 AM »

That got me thinking about the opera, and I sent him my thoughts on the piece:
I think the Goldwyn film was smart in setting it further back in time than 1934 - I think the play and novel are from the late 20s - because it deals with a poor uneducated ghetto-ized populace regarded as 3rd class citizens with little to no chance of upward mobility. The further back it's set, it's easier for contemporary black audiences and white audiences to regard it as a period piece about great-great grandparents before the civil rights movement ever improved things. For all I know, the Gullah population of Baltimore was similar to this until the civil rights movement.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »

Was Audra on last night?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:38 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I will be E & T this afternoon while helping at the Middletown AAUW's 56th Annual Used Book Sale.  Apparently last night's preview sale ($5 admission) brought in $2600!

Do you suppose it's because, with there being no bookstores in Middletown, the populace is starved for something to read?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 06:46:59 AM »

Was Audra on last night?

He didn't say.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »

Do you suppose it's because, with there being no bookstores in Middletown, the populace is starved for something to read?

Well, DR Elmore, last night's crowd was probably dealers, but today I'm sure today we'll see the kind of clientele you describe.  We also seem to be permanent tenants in our pitiful mall and Nina's youth performing arts center is our neighbor.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

DR Jane - to answer your question from last night Pinterest is a social media website that acts as a picture file or bulletin board for visual content.  I've found it very useful for saving knitting and papercrafting ideas.  Would you like an invitation?  Anyone else?

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to BK's daughter!

John G.

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »

That got me thinking about the opera, and I sent him my thoughts on the piece:
I think the Goldwyn film was smart in setting it further back in time than 1934 - I think the play and novel are from the late 20s - because it deals with a poor uneducated ghetto-ized populace regarded as 3rd class citizens with little to no chance of upward mobility. The further back it's set, it's easier for contemporary black audiences and white audiences to regard it as a period piece about great-great grandparents before the civil rights movement ever improved things. For all I know, the Gullah population of Baltimore was similar to this until the civil rights movement.

I don't think I have ever seen that movie. I couldn't watch the Trevor Nunn TV version because the dubbing was so horrible. I think I stopped it about 20 minutes into it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »

DR Jane - to answer your question from last night Pinterest is a social media website that acts as a picture file or bulletin board for visual content.  I've found it very useful for saving knitting and papercrafting ideas.  Would you like an invitation?  Anyone else?

Isn't it for women only? Or is it just predominantly used by women?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »

I could insert a nasty comment about Middletown here and the reading habits of the populace I met during my year there, but since I left Middletown, I've met several wonderful -- and literate -- people from there, so I'll refrain from casting such aspersions.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:38 AM »

Isn't it for women only? Or is it just predominantly used by women?

Predominantly women, DR John G, and there are a lot of wedding pins.  But there's no "women only" restriction and I think anyone who wants to save a lot of visual content - artists, designers, landscapers, architects, etc. - would find it useful.  There are also a lot of cooking pictures, some of which make me drool and some make me gag.

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

Happy Birthday non-DR   BK's daughter's birthday.  Did we put on pedal pushers?  Did we dance the Hora?
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »

The Oregonian published a long expose this morning of how they "misreported" the circumstances of the death of their ultra-conservative Editorial Page Editor last week (I mentioned it at the time).  It turns out an Oregonian reporter lied to them (LOL) and they didn't get the police report until the next day.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

Listening to a fun 4CD promo released to promote Burt Bacharach's publishing enterprises.  Weird inclusion:  Lani Hall's version of "Love Song", the only non-Bacharach tune here (it's the Lesley Duncan tune that Elton John recorded).  I searched on ASCAP and saw it's administered by Hal David's LLP publishing entity (not very far from BK's home environment on Ventura Blvd.), which is kind of funny since it's a Bacharach promo.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »

BTW, BK's close personal friend the late Julius Wechter had two of his Baja Marimba Band albums released this week in Japan, both in mini-LP cover reissue versions.

JMK

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »

Can one of you well informed Catholics or Irish history scholars please explain today's Bizarro to me?:

John G.

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »

Can one of you well informed Catholics or Irish history scholars please explain today's Bizarro to me?:

St. Pat. drove the snakes out of Ireland, so he must have driven them from her head, too. That's all I can think of. And if that's it, it's not all that funny.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

St. Pat. drove the snakes out of Ireland, so he must have driven them from her head, too. That's all I can think of. And if that's it, it's not all that funny.

That JUST occurred to me the second after I posted.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  :)

John G.

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  :)
I'm surprised my mind is functioning most days.  ;)
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »

I much preferred a cartoon I saw a day or two ago with St. Patrick driving a car filled with snakes. He's exasperated because all of the snakes were whining and saying things like, "Are we there yet?" and "When's the next bathroom break?" And the tag was something like, "St. Patrick drives the snakes out of Ireland." 

After all, St. Pat could have treated those snakes like Shamus and strapped them to the top of the car.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up