Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CAPSULE NOTES  (Read 12396 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: CAPSULE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »

Olbermann had a good line last night that the only way Romney was going to get beyond the dog story was if a dog strapped him (Romney) to the top of a car and drove from Boston to Toronto, or wherever the frell the Romneys drove.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I will be E & T this afternoon while helping at the Middletown AAUW's 56th Annual Used Book Sale.  Apparently last night's preview sale ($5 admission) brought in $2600!

Do you suppose it's because, with there being no bookstores in Middletown, the populace is starved for something to read?
I could insert a nasty comment about Middletown here and the reading habits of the populace I met during my year there, but since I left Middletown, I've met several wonderful -- and literate -- people from there, so I'll refrain from casting such aspersions.

You met me while you were there and I was in Manhattan.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »

There are always exemplary exceptions to every rule, Elmore, and you can consider yourself one of them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »

By the way, greetings from Toyland!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »

From Bruce:
Shayne, I won't delete it because however it was meant, everyone sees it for what it is.

I'm not sure what you mean by "however it was meant".  It was an attempt to make the photo easier for me to see, only it didn't work.

DR Mike even I can see the original photo flatters you though I don't blame you for requesting it be deleted, which it has been.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

DR JB I hope you will visit us again on your special day!

Jane

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »

I love  7 Brides for 7 Brothers - I first saw it when I was about 12 and watch it every couple of years  -  hmmmm time to take it off the shelf again

:)

Jane

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »

DR Jane - to answer your question from last night Pinterest is a social media website that acts as a picture file or bulletin board for visual content.  I've found it very useful for saving knitting and papercrafting ideas.  Would you like an invitation?  Anyone else?

So it is your own photos placed there, not just photos you find elsewhere that you like?  Thanks anyway regarding an invitation.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

DR Jane - to answer your question from last night Pinterest is a social media website that acts as a picture file or bulletin board for visual content.  I've found it very useful for saving knitting and papercrafting ideas.  Would you like an invitation?  Anyone else?

Isn't it for women only? Or is it just predominantly used by women?

The first time I saw it was from a male friend.  I haven't noticed a predominance of one sex using it over another.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »

Isn't it for women only? Or is it just predominantly used by women?

Predominantly women, DR John G, and there are a lot of wedding pins.  But there's no "women only" restriction and I think anyone who wants to save a lot of visual content - artists, designers, landscapers, architects, etc. - would find it useful.  There are also a lot of cooking pictures, some of which make me drool and some make me gag.

I think you just answered my question that iit is photos you pull up from anywhere that you like.

John G.

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »

I first learned about Pinterest from a story on Queen Ann (Romney), who posted on there that "Anna Karenina" was one of her favorite books. Rather strange, I thought, since one of the storylines is about how women should be in charge of their own bodies regarding conception and the use of birth control.  Or at least Anna thought so.

Anyway, the story also described Pinterest as being something women were flocking to. I don't need another form of social media in my life, so I left it alone.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to JB aka my darling daughter.

A Very Happy Birthday to BK's Darling Daughter!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

I much preferred a cartoon I saw a day or two ago with St. Patrick driving a car filled with snakes. He's exasperated because all of the snakes were whining and saying things like, "Are we there yet?" and "When's the next bathroom break?" And the tag was something like, "St. Patrick drives the snakes out of Ireland." 

After all, St. Pat could have treated those snakes like Shamus and strapped them to the top of the car.

And here it is:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

We got 7 Brides for 7 Brothers out of the library. Neither of us have ever seen it. I have heard clips from the OSR and seen clips from the movie but never the entire film.

This is one of my mom's favorite movies of all time!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

Are any of you reader-persons familiar with this:

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Even though Dover, our state capital and home of the University of Delaware has no gen eral purpose book stores, poor off-the beaten track tiny summer resort Dewey Beach has a very nice one, open even now in the off-season.

Thrifty soul that I am, whiloe standing in the store, I took advantage of my new Smart-Phone and ordered a copy from Amazxon (saving $1).

Nah - I'm lying - I bought the book and paid cash.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I was up at eight-thirty having a telephonic conversation (barely, as my voice is a bit weak), then fell back asleep.  Also was up several times during the evening thanks to the excessive amount of liquid I've been drinking.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »

I can't tell how I feel yet, but if I can hang on another day or two without getting worse, I think this will pass quickly.

George

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »

"A Man and a Woman" and "The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown"/"A Breath of Scandal" have all arrived! ;D

John G.

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

So, BK, did the songs that Andrea Marcovicci sang make you smile?  
― Voltaire

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

"A Man and a Woman" and "The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown"/"A Breath of Scandal" have all arrived! ;D

I presume the "breath of scandal" involves the Man in the Fuzzy Pink Nightgown.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Doug R

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »

TOD

CD: It's Alive - Bernard Herrmann

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

Are any of you reader-persons familiar with this:

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Even though Dover, our state capital and home of the University of Delaware has no gen eral purpose book stores, poor off-the beaten track tiny summer resort Dewey Beach has a very nice one, open even now in the off-season.

Thrifty soul that I am, whiloe standing in the store, I took advantage of my new Smart-Phone and ordered a copy from Amazxon (saving $1).

Nah - I'm lying - I bought the book and paid cash.

der Brucer

I have it but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

TOD:

DVR: Now that I finally have a dvd recorder that will bypass TCM's and other stations "non recording" system, I will be watching and recording to dvd many episodes of WAGON TRAIN, LAWMAN, and a few Bomba movies.

CD:Los Bravos (remember their hit song of the 60s BLACK IS BLACK?) If you don't remember it, this should help remind you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeFf_rIAVQ

DVD:
I picked up a set of Universal-Internationa pirate movies awhile back...perhaps I will get around to watching those.

Book:
Just finished up the  biography of MAVERICK'S Jack Kelly...and actor I have always liked.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »

How about a "dance of the day"

The Watusi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYIgGB8o7w

John G.

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »

TOD

CD: It's Alive - Bernard Herrmann

I always loved the grammar in the slogan for the sequel:

"The 'It's Alive' baby is back. Only now there are three of them!"
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

Practically no one is in the building today. I've gotten three pages on a paper written. I like that. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »

I do not like the announcement that Sasha Baron Cohen will be playing Threnadier in "Les Miz," the movie.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up