Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAPPY MONDAY NOTES  (Read 17659 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HAPPY MONDAY NOTES
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were happy and posted on a Monday, and now it is time for you to post until the happy Monday cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE HAPPY MONDAY NOTES
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:18:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: ELAN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

As promised, here are the two new Kritzerland releases - if you desire them, just go to the website to order - they'll be "live" at six.

THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA and VIOLENT SATURDAY
Music Composed by Hugo Friedhofer

Based on a story by Ellis St. John, 1958’s The Barbarian and the Geisha recounts the story of Townsend Harris, who arrives in Japan in the 1850s as the first American to serve as Consul-General to Japan, and who was a key figure in opening relations between Japan and America.  The film stars John Wayne, and is directed by John Huston.   Much of it shot on location, the film is beautiful to look at and features Twentieth Century Fox’s usual top-notch production values.

One of The Barbarian and the Geisha’s strongest elements is its absolutely stunning score by Hugo Friedhofer.  By that point, Friedhofer had already written several masterpieces, including The Best Years of Our Lives, The Bishop’s Wife, and, at Fox, such glorious scores as An Affair to Remember, The Boy on a Dolphin, The Rains of Ranchipur, Soldier of Fortune, Seven Cities of Gold, The Revolt of Mamie Stover, Between Heaven and Hell, and, the same year as Barbarian, The Young Lions.   

Friedhofer’s score for The Barbarian and the Geisha manages to have Oriental color while remaining tonal in a completely American way.  It’s a thing of  sublime beauty and one of his best scores.  His main theme is heartbreakingly beautiful and is repeated many times throughout the score, and the rest of his music complements and enriches every scene in the film – this is Golden Age movie music the way we remember Golden Age movie music – melodic, dramatic, tender, suspenseful, and evoking a different time and place through orchestral color and knowing how the orchestra can be utilized to also evoke Oriental textures without resorting to triteness.

Violent Saturday, based on the novel by W. L. Heath, was made three years earlier and is a taut and suspenseful film about a small-town robbery.  Almost fifty after its release, it’s considered a classic (the DVD was recently released by Twilight Time and is a must-have), with terrific performances from Richard Egan, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, and the large cast, excellent writing (screenplay by Sidney Boehm, who wrote the screenplay for the noir classic, The Big Heat), and great direction from Richard Fleischer,

Hugo Friedhofer’s score for Violent Saturday is perfection and a textbook example of how and when to use music.  All told, the score is only about twenty minutes long, but it’s the perfect amount of music for this film.  It does exactly what film music is supposed to do – propels the film, underscores the scenes that need it, and stays out of the way when music would serve no purpose.   There are no classic Friedhofer themes to be found – just music that functions sometimes as subtext, sometimes as suspense, and sometimes as violent as the goings on in Violent Saturday.

Both The Barbarian and the Geisha and Violent Saturday had previous CD releases on Intrada, both long out of print and instant sellouts.  The Barbarian and the Geisha was a standalone CD and Violent Saturday played second feature to Warlock by Leigh Harline.  It’s great to be able to couple the two Friedhofer scores together, and make them available to those who may have missed out on the prior releases, or who’d like to have these two scores together on one CD.  This release has been newly-remastered by James Nelson.

THE GOOD OLD BAD OLD DAYS
Original Cast Recording
Music and Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley

On July 20, 1961, a new musical opened at the Queen’s Theatre in England.  The musical was called Stop the World, I Want to Get Off, and was co-written, directed by, and starred Anthony Newley.  The show was a smash, went to Broadway and Newley became an instant superstar.   From there it was more shows (Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd), films, as writer, director, and actor, sometimes all three at once (Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness, Willy Wonka, Doctor Dolittle), TV (tons of guest shots on every variety show of the era), and concerts all over the world.

In 1971, while on tour doing concert dates, Newley and Bricusse began work on a new original musical entitled It’s a Funny Old World We Live In – But the World’s Not Entirely to Blame, a musical that Bricusse described as “a modst little saga about Man, Life, Death, God and The Devil, with the history of the world thrown in.”  The show got as far as pre-production in New York at the end of that year.  But then producer James Nederlander got cold feet and pulled out.  Original Stop the World West End producer Bernard Delfont came to the rescue and the show, sporting a new title, The Good Old Bad Old Days, was slated for a short tour then a West End opening in December of 1972. 

The reviews were lukewarm – some were okay, and some were blistering, however Newley the performer was well received by almost all the reviewers.  The show would hang on for nine months.  Being a Newley and Bricusse score, of course it abounds with catchy melodies and some genuinely good songs.  Listening to the score forty years later, divorced from the show itself, the score is very pleasing to hear, and the performances are wonderful. 

The Good Old Bad Old Days was released on LP on EMI in the UK.  This is its first CD release.

Both CDs are limited to 1000 copies only.   The price is $19.98 plus shipping for each.

CDs will ship by the first week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:41 AM »

tod

ncis
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »

TOD: Justified.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:30 AM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:18 AM »

I like happy Mondays, hope all our Mondays are happy.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

Sorry to have been E&T again, but my Mim is in the hospital again.  Her atrial fibulation is acting up keeping her heart rate too high.  When they use drugs, her blood pressure drops too low.  Plus she has a touch of pneumonia and she's not eating as she should.  This morning they are going to determine if she can go through a procedure called ablation which would shock her heart back into the proper rhythm.  Please send some vibes her way. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sam

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 05:18:47 AM »

Bitterly cold.

Bitterly broke.

Time for work.  

The ocean looked almost brown yesterday from the storm.  It never stopped raining on Saturday, and the wind never stopped blowing on Sunday. :)

Sam

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:25 AM »

MEGA VIBES FOR DAN THE MAN'S MIM.   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sam

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:54 AM »

Happy Monday everyone.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:22:15 AM »

Vibes for the mother of DR DtM.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »

I have to be someplace at 9 a.m.   Hopefully ALL of the CD's won't be sold by the time I get back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:34 AM »

TOD:

Southland

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 05:25:33 AM »

DR derBRUCER that article you linked yesterday about SMASH was one of the dumbest things I have ever read....how did it ever get published? 

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:45 AM »

Vibes for Dan the man's mom. Hope she will be okay.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:29:55 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »

Glad you are okay DR Elmore. I think it is better to be safe. It could have been something serious.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 05:37:02 AM »

Trial vibes  and rain vibes for DR Cillaliz.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:03 AM »

Good morning, all! I wasn't in bed before 1am, so I slept late (for me). I'm still tired, but I am washed up, dressed, and on my first cup of coffee. I have to make the bed, tidy the apartment and vacuum before I tackle the Intermezzo from DEAREST ENEMY. Five numbers to go!

I posted these clips from ONCE several weeks ago, but after its reviews, it's time to post them again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49oMVo6zvs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTC9rwnoB4I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyq9v9PXxkc
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:11 AM »

The Chicago Tribune's fantastic review has some great things about the adaptation:
But this is no traditional screen-to-stage adaptation. Rather, it's a textbook example of how to do it right: Chapter 1 being, forget most of the movie and build a show. Along with director John Tiffany and movement artist Steven Hoggett (whose unusual work is this show's most potent emotional weapon; you should see the moment when a mother wraps around a distressed soul with her body, as if she were a piece of clothing), Walsh understands that you don't need all the clutter of short scenes, merely the essence of the story that will allow human actors to forge a direct, live connection. Everything you see, hear and feel is inherently theatrical — literality drops away like Dublin street noise as you head to an undiscovered country, and you start to feel things that the movie simply could not make you feel. The characters deepen, and their dilemmas seem to pulse directly to you.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:32:15 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »

Vibes to all!!!
I like boat races.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 06:34:19 AM »

I like happy Mondays, hope all our Mondays are happy.
Amen to that.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:23 AM »

DR derBRUCER that article you linked yesterday about SMASH was one of the dumbest things I have ever read....how did it ever get published? 
You could ask that of way too many articles lately.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:15 AM »

Thanks for the notes on GOBOD, JMK. (Can I get any more initials in that?)
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:16 AM »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: ELAN!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ZING ! WENT THE STRINGS OF MY HEART

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:29 AM »

And By The Way ......Where Is ELAN ???????
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up