Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAPPY MONDAY NOTES  (Read 17702 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE HAPPY MONDAY NOTES
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-ONCE-Broadway-Opening-Night-Party-20120319#

Photos from the opening night party.

Including BK's close and personal friend Alet Taylor with her husband Andy (who's in the show!):

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »

Who would think that that much blood...

Lady Macbeth?

der Brucer

Act V Scene 1 : Yet who would have thought the old man
to have had so much blood in him.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

Shocking news from France.
Horrible news.

That is!  AND several local schools are in lock-down because of a reported triple shooting in Lacey, WA!! :o

What is this world coming to??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

I just came quickly to a computer to google something. I was cutting some cheese and the knife slipped and cut my pinkie. It does not seem deep. But it hurts and will not stop bleeding. I actually ended up doing what it said online- cold water, then wrap tightly and lift hand over your head. Ouch.

~~~Pinky Vibes for DR Jennifer!!~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »

if you desire them, just go to the website to order - they'll be "live" at six.

I went to the webssite and was surprised that the new CDs didn't show up on the opening page.

A little clicking found what I wanted, and I ordered it.

I wasn't born yesterday:

der Brucer

But do you remember how many stars were on the flag then? I honestly don't.

In your day, Elmo, there were 48.  I suspect the same is true of der Brucer.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »

48. Many thanks.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »

48 stars for me as well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »

Another Good Old Bad Old Days memory:  It must have been the next year after I had seen the show, and I was asked by the debate coach of my high school to come on a debate meet in Tempe, Arizona, despite the fact that I wasn't on the debate team.  She wanted me to give some sort of "Persuasive Speech", which I wrote about the then-recent obscenity trials regarding "Carnal Knowledge."  Anyhoo, right after I committed and my parents bought my fare, what should happen but Sergio Mendes announced a concert in SLC for that very weekend.  I was verklempt--as many of you know, my love for Sergio's music is fairly unbounded.  But anyhoo I went to Tempe.  On one of my afternoons off, I went across the street to a huge record store and was perusing through their records when what should I see but the Original London Cast of GOBOD.  I was gobsmacked.  I had no idea (back in those days) that there would have even been an album.  So of course I bought it (I still have it to this day) and considered it a worthy trade off for having missed Sergio.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »

There have been an unusual number of school related accidents in the last couple of weeks.....including some school bus accidents.

It is terrible.

George

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »

DR JOHN G thanks for that link - I had never heard the song.....  I shall have to think about it....maybe Guy Haines should record it.

Yes!  I think it would be a great song for Guy Haines!

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

I've been over to the local Miami University campus for a program in which the panel was 3 Middletown business women.  The one on the left is our friend Margie, who makes jewelry under the company name Colorful Me!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:28:47 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

You know, when I listen to his "Being Alive" and then Larry Kert's, I can't help but notice the difference. Jones feels it. He's Bobby singing that song. Kert is any singer, all plummy vocals and next to no emotional depth. It's prettier, but shallower.

Sondheim on Sondheim

Peter Filichia: This was really fun for me; it was like a time machine. Since 1965, I’ve seen every original cast of every Sondheim show. What was really exciting was growing up in
Boston because many of the shows were tried out there, so the memories really came flooding
back today. Especially when the song “Happily Ever After” was being sung because I was there
the first night of Company in Boston. There was Dean Jones singing that song, and while he was singing I saw his eyes widen, as if he were saying, “Oh my God, they hate this song. They hate me. I have got to get out of this show.” And he did. He quit the show.

I swear this is a true story: about thirty years later, I was asked to go down and do a press conference for the Alabama Stage and Screen Hall of Fame. (Yes, there is one). That year they were inducting Jim Nabors, the guy who played Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show, and Mary Badham who played Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird and Dean Jones who had been in Boston doing Company.

And Jones said, “I’ll never forget that first night, singing ‘Happily Ever After.’ I was saying,
‘Oh my God, the people hate me. They hate the song. I’ve got to get out of this show.” So that
came back to me today.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:34:48 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

DR GINNY I forgot to say congratulations on your successful BOOK sale!!!  Who knows what the future will bring for BOOKS....but hopefully they will be around at least as long as I am.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »

DR JMK at least you didn't come to a competition in Indiana - here you would have found an LP of GOBOD by the Terre Haute String and Brass Orchestra augmented by the General Lew Wallace Elementary School Chorale.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »

DR GINNY I forgot to say congratulations on your successful BOOK sale!!!  Who knows what the future will bring for BOOKS....but hopefully they will be around at least as long as I am.

Thanks, DR JRand!  It seemed to me that we didn't have as many customers as in years past, but I was only there for 6 hours total.  The people I talked to were more interested in donating books for next year's sale than in buying.  I'll be interested to hear the full report at next week's board meeting.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »

TOD - we like CASTLE, BODY OF PROOF, CSI:NY and BONES.  Richard also watches both versions of NCIS and THE MENTALIST and I'll watch with him if I feel like knitting, but they're not must-see for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »

The one on the left is our friend Margie, who makes jewelry under the company name Colorful Me!

READ/SEE MORE HERE

der Brucer

Doug R

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

TOD:

Here in the UK the BBC has shown series 1 and 2 of the Danish THE KILLING. Series 2 recently finished and in it's place is an Italian language feature length crime series INSPECTOR MONTALBANO which is very entertaining (incongruously humorous at times amongst the violence) and is particularly well made - great photography.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »

Another Good Old Bad Old Days memory:  It must have been the next year after I had seen the show, and I was asked by the debate coach of my high school to come on a debate meet in Tempe, Arizona, despite the fact that I wasn't on the debate team.  She wanted me to give some sort of "Persuasive Speech", which I wrote about the then-recent obscenity trials regarding "Carnal Knowledge."  Anyhoo, right after I committed and my parents bought my fare, what should happen but Sergio Mendes announced a concert in SLC for that very weekend.  I was verklempt--as many of you know, my love for Sergio's music is fairly unbounded.  But anyhoo I went to Tempe.  On one of my afternoons off, I went across the street to a huge record store and was perusing through their records when what should I see but the Original London Cast of GOBOD.  I was gobsmacked.  I had no idea (back in those days) that there would have even been an album.  So of course I bought it (I still have it to this day) and considered it a worthy trade off for having missed Sergio.
Back in 1991, I went on a job interview in Sarasota, FL (coming in from upstate New York), and did well on the interviews and tests, but it was nothing compared with going to a used book store with some recordings in it and finding a used copy of "The Golden Apple." I had been searching for that beauty for more than a decade. I eventually got the job but it seemed like second-rate news after finding that album.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Thanks for the link, DR der Brucer.  Margie's giving up her space at the market in Dayton at the end of this month and opening a studio in Middletown's Pendleton Art Center.  She and her husband are very excited - she to have the studio space and her husband to reclaim the living room and kitchen in their home!

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »

And now I'm off for a visit to my Mom - bye for now!

John G.

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

Thanks, der Brucer. Jones also said elsewhere that he could never get a handle on Bobby. I think that's why he was so good. He was as lost as Bobby is, and in his singing, he's not afraid to show it. Hard for an actor to do that. And in the clips of the 1993 reunion, he's so self-assured and just enjoying himself that he's all Dean Jones and no Bobby at all. He's still good, but it's not the same.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »

Topic of the Day:

Castle
Body of Proof
Psych
White Collar

Human Target (cancelled)
Law & Order: Trial by Jury (cancelled)
Law & Order: Los Angeles (cancelled)

George

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »

But do you remember how many stars were on the flag then? I honestly don't.

July 4, 1912 – add Arizona and New Mexico 48 stars
July 4, 1959 – add Alaska – 49 starts
July 4,, 1960 – add Hawaii – 50 stars

der Brucer

I have an extremely rare 49 star flag which was part of my father's commissioning ceremony when he made the rank of Brigadier General in early 1960.  I've been told it's worth a lot of money.

You should take it to Antiques Roadshow...I think it's coming to Seattle again. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

Finally able to post.  I was up at six, announced, went back to bed briefly, got up, printed out a huge number of orders, found that morning meeting was not happening (pushed to tomorrow morning), then a surprise early lunch with David Wechter, then printing out more orders.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

I forgot to mention and I know this will excite Jrand - in Andrea Marcovicci's show she sings Zing a Little Zong.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones for Dan the Man's mum.

Doug R

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

It's a very clear night, at which times I like looking up at the night sky and gazing at the stars. It always gives me a wondrous sense of the infinite.

John G.

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

It's a very clear night, at which times I like looking up at the night sky and gazing at the stars. It always gives me a wondrous sense of the infinite.

:)
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up